Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Gonna go with Dreamcatcher. At least Cell had a good first chapter, Dreamcatcher didn't even have that. The only thing I remember is some anecdote about the guy's mom falling over and making GBS threads herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Crunch Bucket posted:

I know this thread is supposed to be discussing his worst - but TLW will always remain as one of my favorite stories of all time.

Speaking of King's best, my favorite by a long shot is The Shining. Every year, around October the fall chill sets in and suddenly I just have to read it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The original Danish miniseries is called Riget (by Lars von Trier, no less), and it's really good. So I guess if you thought Kingdom Hospital sucked, check it out.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

cycowolf posted:

Wondering if its ok to ask since this is a thread for his worst books. What is your favorite book by him? I'm curious as to the difference from one to the other. Also wondering if most people prefer the older stuff.

Definitely The Shining, I read it every year. There's something about it that I find hard to describe, maybe it's the pacing. Slow-burn, but kind of methodical, and the scares are spaced out pretty well. It's also pretty psychologically scary, very nightmarish and claustrophobic. Man, the fire hose scene gets me every time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"Longer than you think, dad, longer than you think!"

Yeah, that one got to me too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Foppish posted:

As to it just being a cheap shock-that's just me I guess, the original "cliff hanger" (if you want to call it that) seems more hopeless despite the last word being "hope". I always liked the thought that the mist was permanent, or if not permanent at least world changing.

I think it's the chilling fade-out that makes the book's ending so enduringly creepy, and the BANG POP WOW ending to the film that makes it almost forgettable. Like, you have this hour and a half of incredibly creepy, haunting film, documenting the breakdown of society on a small scale when presented with an immutable nightmare situation, and then the tacked-on fireworks. It just doesn't really work, and if the original ending had been kept I think it would be one of the better King adaptations and it would still be in the public mind.

It's an almost juvenile kind of ending, something a thirteen-year-old would craft.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

An observer posted:

I don't know why but I thought Duma Key just sucked. I can't even pinpoint what caused this feeling.

It was the muchachos. So much loving muchacho.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'd recommend The Shining but I'm gay for that book, and a better answer would probably be "any of his short story collections", especially Skeleton Crew, which also contains the unfathomably excellent novella The Mist.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Aatrek posted:

Here's the Under the Dome cover.

Whoa, that's totally bitchin'.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Zimadori Zinger posted:

Yes it is, did he like the book? I can't even tell.

It's just a mush of vague ideas and fancy sentences.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I wouldn't mind a sequel to The Shining. It probably won't be as good, but then again I read The Shining every year and it keeps getting better. Still, it'd be interesting to see what Danny's up to, and I always liked the idea of the shining itself (particularly the little day-to-day snippets, like the woman at the airport worrying about the roast in the oven), so maybe he'll explore that some more.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Shining is an excellent five-act tragedy that I read every year and it never gets any less great. :colbert:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Loving Life Partner posted:

What!? The ending was the Sheriff destroying Gaunt with dime store magic tricks, that became super weapons all of a sudden, totally freaking lovely.

Don't forget the magic jazz hands.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Meanwhile, The Tommyknockers is wildly underrated. That book actually made me nauseous.

Hughmoris posted:

Ok, I just finished The Shining and absolutely loved it. What book of his should I go to next? Salem's Lot?

I've already read The Stand and It.

I'd go for Carrie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
As someone who gets tension sorta-migraines pretty regularly, I really appreciate that one of the antagonizing forces in Firestarter is the main character's blistering headaches - King really nails that sense of "oh god here it comes I'm gonna be dead for like 24 hours".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"Oh, ayuh" she said, before slipping unexpectedly into an extended flashback about her cartoonishly overbearing and probably psychotic mother. She wet herself involuntarily, an act that requires at least three rambling sentences to describe. It was twelve forty-six, and, though she did not know it, he was the last person who would ever see her alive.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The best thing a Stephen King movie can do is be a really good drama film first, and be a really excellent horror film second.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The book is a great book and the movie is a great movie, just because Stephen King is up his own butt about it doesn't mean the rest of us have to be.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

dirksteadfast posted:

And holy poo poo the ending in this version. The ending in general is good but in King's original written plan Linoge turns into an old wizard with a pointy hat with stars and poo poo all over it like he's a goddamned Disney wizard from Fantasia. Whoever helped adapt this thing from page to screen needs to just sit in on all of King's endings because that is exactly the kind of stuff that sneaks in and takes me out of them.

See also the ~!magic hands!~ ending to Needful Things.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Look, when you're writing on coke it's really hard to remember piddly details like how many arms a person has when you could be spending precious time describing how disgustingly obese your mom the villain's mom is.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Forearmshadowing?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There is a film of The Long Walk, it's called They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, and it's terrifying.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I can't believe this thread was started by someone who thinks Cujo sucks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Cujo is an excellent, blistering family drama.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's just such a fiery, painful book.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Firestarter is great and I love any book with a protagonist whose main enemy is headaches.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I've posted about this before but my favorite part of the updated Stand is the bit where, in 1994 or whenever it's set, one of the characters is really pumped to be babysitting for a family with a color TV.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That stuff gives King's early works a kind of organic cruelty that I really appreciate. These are people with thoughts distinct from my own, and probably from King's, which makes them feel more real than if they were just bland, unproblematic stand-ins. I love the bit in Christine where one of the guys in the rear end in a top hat crew makes a racist joke and gets told off, and then feels really lovely right before getting his rear end mowed by a demon car. You don't necessarily feel bad for him but you're given a certain understanding of him and his situation and the atmosphere that wouldn't be present if he were just one of the gang. It's weird and unpleasant and makes me feel uncomfortable, but there's a barbaric, unfiltered, and deeply misanthropic vision of reality that jumps off the page when King introduces those kind of unexpected narrative bends.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I love all the details in The Dead Zone when he comes out of his coma - suddenly the doctor is writing with a weird new pen, and all the streetlights are a gross orange color.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Orange lights were a big deal when they first came around, so people from back then probably would've been more familiar with the term (I've always heard them called "sodium vapor lamps"), and now that everyone's switching to cool white LEDs there's people upset about losing the atmosphere of the sodium lights.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's not important, technically, but I really enjoyed the queasy 50s vibes and I felt like they provided a lot of atmosphere. It was just such a totally different time, and the "golden era" setting really complimented the brutal, unforgiving horror of not only IT but of the world around them. Little things like the x-ray machine really set it apart.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I had to put down Duma Key because of how he was writing the friend's dialogue and he kept saying things like "ese" and "amigo" in weird ways.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Any paperback over 300 pages is going to be ratty after the first read-through, especially one you're gripping with fear.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Casimir Radon posted:

Well mass-market paperbacks will. Trade paperbacks hold up decently.

I read an unabridged copy of Les Miserables on paperback and by the time they were in the sewer it looked like a pile of tissue paper loosely attached to a bookmark.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Listening to an audiobook of 11.23.64 and enjoying it. This whole first section with the plumber could be its own book, it's phenomenal to think that's only the prelude. Digging, as always, King's instinct for rooting out the little unthinkable details that give the story an organic heft, but there's something vaguely watery about it that I can't put my finger on. Early King is like reading razor wire, and there's a squishiness to his later books that's kind of off-putting. Maybe that's the peril of fame, or maybe he's just become more empathetic now that he's older and not pumped full of cocaine.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm about at the part where he's directing the school play and some of the wind is leaving the sails for me, but I liked the janitor bit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Go back in time and get a headache trying to stop him from naming it "N".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

juliuspringle posted:

Shelley Duvall is crazy now, absolutely no idea why.

Because mental illness is common.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I liked it a lot more than Hatchet when I read it in middle school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

liberals cannot tweet about trump without referencing harry potter

democratus reparo!