Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So this is kind of a larger question but I'm focusing it here on King.

I'm sure you've heard the whole "but what have they done lately?" I used to hear thiss a lot for Tim Burton but it's applied to a lot of creators who are interpreted as having done great things once but not anymore. I remember when I first started reading King and posting in here someone divided King's writing career into various phases and we are still in the post-accident phase so far as I know. King has written some of the most famous books of our time but that was all before his accident and I'm not sure if people like his more recent stuff nearly as much.

Do you think this is a good or valid criticism? Somebody did great work once but not so much anymore?

King was and is and will be great in my opinion.

I feel like when most people say "This author/band/TV show/whatever used to be so good" they're really saying that the novelty has worn off. When they found the thing they like(d) it was a brand new, exciting thing to them. And they looked forward to more, new things but the things that were produced were actually too much like the first thing and didn't have the same effect anymore. Doesn't mean the new stuff isn't good anymore, you're just used to it now.
In King's case, he's written some really great books "post accident". Lisey's Story, Under the Dome, 11/22/63, Revival, Mr. Mercedes are all really excellent novels and had they come out at the beginning of his career would probably be looked at the same as The Stand and It and Carrie. They just don't hit the same because in many ways they're more of the same.
Also, books just don't mean the same to the majority of people as they did in the 1970s. We have access to so much entertainment that a 1000 page book just looks like time and effort that could be spent elsewhere to a lot of people. I still love to read, and won't think for a second about starting a 100 hour book, but I'll get much more out of a 100 hour video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I have read none of those books, I will look into them, thanks.

Any particular one you think I should start with? IT and The Shining are my favorite King books if that is any help.

This is really interesting to me, can you expand a bit more on what you mean? I know you said it's general and I've only read his big main works but I never got the impression from stories like IT or The Stand that King was ever a nihilist of any kind. These are very religious works in their idea of good and evil as inherent concepts of the universe, where humans have a responsibility to battle evil. I know Insomnia came a bit later but I read that too and it explained everything, even poor little Gage's death, in terms of The Purpose and The Random. It's almost Christian to me, reminiscent of Tolkien in The Silmarillion having Eru (God) declare that even selfish discord and malice contributes to the good of His vision. That was my understanding of Pennywise and Atropos, foul and hateful creatures who nevertheless serve a benevolent, moral universe.

But you and others here have almost assuredly read and understood way more than me.

If IT and The Shining are your favourites because of the deep character development, I'd say Under the Dome and 11/22/63 might be good for you. If it's the spooks you like, maybe Revival.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Speaking of lore, Shardik the robo-bear was built by the Old Ones to guard the beam generator. I wonder if the Old Ones killed the flesh and blood Shardik in order to put in a replacement guardian that they controlled? Who knows, but I'd love for King to really deep dive on the All-World lore.

I thought the Old Ones made the beams too. Were there beams and organic guardians before them?
I don't think there's a real answer, really. We only ever meet Shardik and it's way past its expiry date when we do.
Also, Gan is the guardian of the Turtle end of the beam? And also the entity that vomited all of creation into being? Or is the guardian just named after the "real" Gan?
The whole mythos is vague and contradictory. I think that's kind of intentional. It matches the whole idea of the world having moved on.
I feel like King's (maybe not conscious) intention with his larger mythos is that God in this world wasn't so much a creator as a storyteller. It didn't make everything and then rest, it was actively telling the story of reality as it went along. They idea of the world moving on is the storyteller losing its mind to old age. The way in the Dark Tower everything starts to double back on itself is like the creator getting Alzheimer's.
Also, that's why he wrote his own damned self into the books and also he was God.

Part of me hopes some day we'll get a short story collection in the Dark Tower universe. I'm going back through the series right now and The Wind Through the Keyhole really made me want some side stories without Roland and his Ka-Tet.
Did anyone ever read those Dark Tower comics they made? Are those worth looking at?

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Capisano posted:

Also if you're in to audiobooks, Michael C Hall does the narration on Pet Sematary and it's really good.

I listened to the audio book earlier this year and agree, it's excellent.
It also does not have a bad ending. The ending is perfect for the incredibly bleak book that Pet Semetary is.

Also, the recent "remake" of the movie is pretty good too. It does enough different to be worth watching along with the original.