Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Is The Mist tv series worth watching?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Normally I don’t bitch much but those covers really are complete poo poo.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

they might be downplaying that in re: current events

The plague parts are the main reason why I want to watch it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I tried the first episode, and I really hope someone online unravels the constant flashbacks and makes a chronological version once it is all out.
Because I don't think I want to watch it since it is like I'm reading 10 random pages from the book, flipping to a different chapter and reading 10 more. The best part of The Stand is the plague, and to just (mostly) skip over it is weird.

Casting is good so far, Harold is perfectly creepy.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah I thought Nadine was fine and even if this last episode was better, I’m still disappointed so far. I really don’t understand the unnecessary changes.

Nick and Tom meet on a street after Tom sets up a bunch of mannequins. Why change that? Is it just cheaper to film inside?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

nate fisher posted:

The newest episode of The Stand really suffers due to the way they decided to tell the story in flashbacks and the lack of any real character backstory we have after 4 episodes in. They try to make Tom leaving for Vegas into this heartfelt thing, but so far we have only spent maybe 5 minutes with this character the whole series. So what should have been a teary eye moment for the audience instead is nothing but another plot point due to lack of any connection with any character. I know they tried to model this on Lost with it's flashbacks, but what made Lost great was it made care about the characters. They completely failed at that by giving Harold the most screen time so far. While I think they have done good with Harold, every other character comes off emotionally flat.

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I agree, they really needed to show more of Tom in order to justify the difficult decision they were trying to make. I was watching with my wife and she didn't remember who the Tom they were talking about even was until I reminded her of the hospital scene with Nick. Then the rest of the episode unfolds and it becomes more obvious, but it shouldn't have been a question at all.

Third-ed on that.

I'm really disappointed on how its going. I had just rewatched the tv movies at the start of the pandemic and, while it also has issues and looks dated, I really think it is a lot better. A lot.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

So, that was garbage.

Maybe The Institute will be good.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I am now listening to The Regulators audiobook on my afternoon walk.

It's certainly...something....so far. I am at the part right after the paperboy gets blown away.

That is one of my favorite audiobooks by King, depending on which version you are listening to.

Do you have the plain Frank Muller one or the awesome Kate Nelligan one with the twangy music and bizarre sound effects?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I was pretty excited to see they wrapped filming on a new Firestarter movie, but then I realized that it may be a lovely as that horrible Stand remake.
Firestarter (1984) was pretty great in 1984, but it really could use an update now. I'm just worried that it wont a good update, and they will change it like they did with the Stand and take out the plague, which in Firestarter would be like taking out the fire.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I was pretty excited to see they wrapped filming on a new Firestarter movie, but then I realized that it may be a lovely as that horrible Stand remake.
Firestarter (1984) was pretty great in 1984, but it really could use an update now. I'm just worried that it wont a good update...

Oh... oh no.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

After reading a couple posts here about Apt Pupil and remembering how good of a story it was, I decided to watch the 1998 movie. I had never seen it and I couldn’t remember why I avoided it so watched it today. I always thought Ethan Hawk was in it, and was kinda surprised it wasn’t him. It sure looked like him on the cover. Anyway 30 minutes in is a very long nude teen boys shower scene, and then I remembered why I had avoided it for so long… Bryan Singer and all the molestation he did, literally on the set of that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

joepinetree posted:

The new firestarter is very bad and I laughed at several parts I am pretty sure the filmmakers didn't intend to be funny. But mostly it's just very boring.

Too many changes from the book/old movie. I really wanted to like it. I thought it just might be good. I was very wrong.

I think they were trying to make a superhero movie maybe, like Chronicle? Either way they flubed it.