Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

More Dark Tower adaptation news, they've cast Jake, mostly unknown child actor Tom Taylor and Aaron Paul has said/joked that he was cast. Which most likely means Eddie.

I think Aaron Paul was always most people's choice for Eddie, so that's good news. Please let this movie be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe Roland just got super tan.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wizard and the Glass is awesome just read the book.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How did the thread like Misery? I'm about to start my first read.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Awesome :getin:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm about 50 pages into Misery and I'm loving it already. I've never seen the movie either so I'm looking forward to watching it after my read.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Big Don Rennie

Was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DT is my poo poo. During/after Wolves of the Calla it goes downhill but those first 4 books are golden.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Long Walk

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I thought it was a TV show?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Stand is my favorite King book and you need to read it if you like any of his work. I read the uncut monstrosity and loved every page of it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is the new IT trailer out yet?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 29, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Yeah, I didn't really get warm fuzzies from the trailer.

On the plus side, there were shout-outs to the Overlook Hotel and Pennywise in the trailer.

What's the shoutout to Pennywise?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Blastedhellscape posted:

I’m probably in the minority, but Roland’s magical bullet-juggling gun-fu looked basically the way that I imagined it when I read The Gunslinger. And I'm disappointed that, although there were some shots of deserts, there didn't seem to be an apotheosis of all deserts anywhere in that trailer.

It looked really corny to me. I always just imagined him having incredibly fast hands, not literally throwing clips into the air, and swinging his guns around to catch them.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pheeets posted:

I watched it with the sound off and it's a lot less scary.

Music/sounds set the mood for movies. No movie is scary with the sound off.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeaaa I'm gonna pass until this is on Netflix or something. I feel like having read the books will make the movie viewing experience even worse than someone who knows nothing about it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How do you read that many King books and never read The Gunslinger?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Don't you usually have to read a book to decide if you like it or not?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Surely there are better things to spend your time on buddy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

polishthunder84 posted:

Just finished the dark tower series. Wow, lot to unpack.

In general, i liked it! Some of the books were better than others. Personally I liked Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands the most, and Wizard and Glass the least (not saying it was terrible, just felt that there was a lot of fat in the narrative that should have been trimmed off).

That ending of Book VII though! I don't hate it, but i really wish I knew what difference having the Horn of Eld would have made. I mean, Roland pretty much finished the quest: he took care of the breakers (thus saving the beams and allowing them to regenerate) and took out Mordred and the Crimson King (not to mention all the people serving him). He gets to the top of the Tower and the tower sends him back to do it all again? No mad, just super curious as to what the point of all that was.

It's been a long time since I've read it, but I believe it was implying he has to continue to do his quest in an infinite loop until he gets it right (AKA not abandoning those close to him). Once he does that he can finish his quest once and for all. I'm sure someone can explain better than me though.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you don't like Wizard and the Glass, then I don't like YOU.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 7, 6

I loving love Wizard and the Glass.

I've actually never read the Wind Through the Keyhole. Should I?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So I have read The Dark Tower series in full, The Stand, Misery, Under the Dome, The Long Walk, The Eyes of the Dragon, & Just After Sunset.

I've seen The Shining, IT, & 11-22-63, so I'm not sure I want to read one of those next.

Does anyone have a recommendation of King's remaining books for me to read next?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'd recommend It and The Shining personally, beacuse the books are tremendous.

It's definitely worth reading It and The Shining, even after seeing the movie first and having a general idea how it all plays out? I definitely will if that's the case.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What are you in the mood for?

Honestly, Stephen King building up a small town and then destroying it.

Ornamented Death posted:

His earlier short story collections (Night Shift, Skeleton Crew) and 'Salem's Lot.

I'll look into them, thanks!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Dark Tower series my man.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah I’ve been pleasantly surprised so far.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Flaggy posted:

Finished The Long Walk and really really loving enjoyed it. When I was a kid I had read a ton of Stephen King but never that one. Absolutely amazing book.

Yea it really is great. Still holding out hope they make it a movie some day.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

The Eyes of the Dragon here

Same here, 7th grade if I remember correctly.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just ordered a bunch of Stephen King books I haven't read yet.

The Shining
Firestarter
Salem's Lot
Carrie
The Deadzone

I'm probably going to start with The Shining.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I thought the new IT was great, it's just really impossible to do a giant novel justice in one movie. Hopefully the second one is just as good.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

There is no place where The Dark Tower was a good or worthwhile movie

Yea this is one of the biggest let downs as a King fan. It just seems like it would be so easy to make an awesome movie out of that plot.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea the jaunt would make a good Black Mirror episode.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sorry to upset you, geez.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

not every piece of writing needs to be adapted into a visual medium

It doesn’t need to but it should be.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m about 200 pages into The Shining and it’s ominous as hell. I love it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What events have happened so far?

Danny just got stung by the wasps in his bed.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

God drat, The Shining is great. I'm at the point where Jack is checking out the snowmobile after Danny is assaulted in room 217.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mine is the same!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just finished The Shining. It was fantastic!

I think I'm going to read Carrie next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

You should, but I have to ask (since I don't keep track) have you read Salem's Lot yet? If not, consider it. Then Carrie and Firestarter and...

Nope I have those three + the dead zone to go. I’ll read Salem’s Lot first! Thanks