Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Greggy posted:

I kind of agree, the "current day" (I guess? The part with Eddie and Jake and Oy and Susannah) part was totally worthless. The "olden days of Gilead" portion with Roland and Jamie was better but still very slight. I still loved the book though, more than any of the others in the series past The Waste Lands.

That's pretty much my opinion of it too. The first two layers of this flashback (both with Roland, really) just feel like framing so King could tell the -real- story (Tim's). Still, I like it a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Lolitas Alright! posted:

I don't know if I'm remembering this correctly, but doesn't Roland actually notice and go "Hey, I have the loving Horn now! I never lost this thing in the battle!" Vorgen's theory of an outside force makes more sense that way, because Roland's forgotten that he made it to the Dark Tower a billion times already, but SOMEHOW is permitted to remember that he had lost the Horn at one point and suddenly has it again.

Roland mentions that he had a sense of vertigo and that he had sort of a waking dream of the horn being lost, but of course that's bullshit because he never lost the horn. He even remembers picking it up after Jericho Hill.

As for Roland's age, he tells the Tet that he's been traveling over a thousand years. He mentions that in the same passage where he says that sometimes he skips from age to age like a seagull flying over the ocean and only touching the tips of the waves (or some simile like that). So who knows if that's how old he thinks he is, or if that's the year difference between when he started traveling and when he was then.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The second you finish Hear Shaped Box, pick up Horns. I loved every single page of that book.

I've been rereading all of the gunslinger books, and I'm about halfway through Wizard&Glass. Somehow, I forgot Rhea masturbates with a snake.

Words can not express how much I hate every second of that flashback that isn't the showdown in the tavern or the one with the thinny. Goddamn I hate that book so much.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Cujo was mine. It was really jarring to go from that to his more supernatural stuff.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

spixxor posted:

I feel the same way. There were a couple of parts that were sufficiently spooky (hedges, bathtub) but overall I found myself pretty bored. It wasn't bad the way, for instance, Lisey's Story is (gently caress that book, gently caress it forever) but yeah, not my favorite. Then again I may just be a philistine because I don't care much for 'Salem's Lot either and everyone seems to think those are his two best books.

Oh god, high five. I thought I was the only one that was bored with a lot of 'Salem's Lot. To be fair, I Really only read it after finishing The Dark Tower, just to get some more backstory of Father Callahan, but still. I mean, it's not the worst thing I've ever read (not even the worst by King), but it was just so tedious.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

rypakal posted:

Count me in as goon number four, doing the audiobook edition for the first time.

I'll be five as soon as I finish my current book. I have some sort of weird compulsion to not read more than one book at a time.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

It totally is. A huge, intimidating paperback.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

The Stand graphic novel I really didn't get in to. I tried to like it, but it just didn't capture me like the book did. It was a mix of not liking the art style and the whole thing just feeling wooden and stiff to me.

On the other hand, I have all the Dark Tower graphic novels (and I plan on getting the rest when The Drawing of the Three begins). Again, I'm not terribly fond of the art style. It's a little too overly shadowed/contrasted and almost over-dramatic. But it reads way better than The Stand GN does to me. It just flows better. I think it helps too, that most of the issues area dealing with new story lines as well. It ranges from Roland's coming of age, then leads into WaG territory, and then deals with his wanders between that and The Gunslinger. It even covers Jericho Hill before covering all of The Gunslinger novel itself.

It looks like The Drawing of the Three is going to be doing a similar thing with Eddie - covering his life from childhood up until and through the novel. I'm actually pretty excited for that, Eddie was one of my favorite characters.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

origami posted:

Apparently a new Dark Tower book came out in 2012 and I had no idea. Is it any good? I liked books 1-4 but thought everything after sucked poo poo. Sorry if this was discussed; I only looked back a few pages.

It's Roland telling a story within a story to the Tet during a storm. It's nice world and lore building, but it's not really a part of the main storyline. It takes place between WaG and WotC, if that matters to you.

I liked it, but it's very much just fluff.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I thought that would be very confusing for people who hadn't read the book, but that seems to be not the case. My boyfriend hasn't read The Stand or seen the other mini-series and has had no trouble at all keeping up with what was going on. I've read the book and the jumps are a little jarring for me but it's nothing too bad. We are both digging the series though. It's been easily 6-7 years since I've read the book, but it seems to be close enough to what I remember and I haven't had any issues with any of the case yet aside from Whoopie seeming to be phoning it in hard. But that could be just because she's had a whole four lines of dialogue so far so I'll reserve my judgement for now. My boyfriend is so into the series he was asking me how many seasons I thought it was going to take, and when I said it was a mini-series he made me look up the episode titles to see if it would tell the whole story. It's adorable, he normally doesn't care that much about Stephen King adaptions, but he is all over this one. I'm debating on if I should get the audiobook version so he can listen to it while walking to work.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

She's actually starting to grow on me with the most recent episode. She's still not my ideal choice, but she's not as bland as she seemed in the other two episodes. And she's got like two more episodes to live max so it's not like it's a big issue.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Well in either case, thank you for letting me know ep3 came out.

There's a new one every Thursday from now until Feb 11. I just have a reminder on my calendar otherwise I would completely forget too.

Also just glancing at the wiki it looks like Stephen King himself wrote the script for the final episode. I'm hopefully optimistic but I know his TV scripts can be really hit or miss. This show has done everything else better than I hoped for though, so I'm not too worried.

Speaking of exceeding my expectations, I think the actor for Tom Cullen really hit it out of the park. That's a character that could be written very insensitively VERY easily but I think he's been handled well so far. My boyfriend was delighted when I said he was a major character too. For myself, I'm super looking forward to him in the desert.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Are avatar changes/custom titles permanent or temporary? Will it revert back or do I have to do it?

They last until someone pays to have them changed to something new. It's cheaper for you to do it than someone else, so once you change it to whatever it'll usually stay that way unless you really pissed someone off enough to spend even more money.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

He's just solidly airplane book fodder now. Given what I've heard about Revival I'm going to check it out after my pandemic-induced apathy towards reading goes away but none of his other more recent work sounds appealing at all.

Weirdly enough I found myself wanting to watch the terrible Dark Tower adaptation today but it's not streaming anywhere.

It's not that bad. They added bits from all the books which was weird as hell, and the plot was basically Roland meets Jake then Algul Siento. Eddie and Susan were nowhere to be found. It wasn't a bad way to mash seven books into one movie, but I wouldn't spend more than a couple bucks on it.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I watched the first 4 or 5 and then gave up. I could justify it because to me it was like little vignettes from the book, which was a little disjointed. I didn't mind the time skips because I knew the characters and the story and whatever it missed I've known since the 90s. Can't imagine who thought that was a good idea for people who didn't know the book.

I thought the same way, but my boyfriend (who hasn't read any King) said he was able to follow along just fine, and he really enjoyed it up until the last two or three episodes. By that point he was invested so he wanted to finish, but he was really checked out by the final one. On the upside though, when I mentioned there was a mini-series made in the 90s he got interested in that so we might give it a shot. Anyone know if that's any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

How is the NOS4A2 TV series? I keep seeing it pop up on Amazon video.

It got cancelled after season two. I'm not sure how good the first two seasons were, this article I read says it has a 70-something percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but I never like starting an adaption after it got cancelled. It either leaves me sad that they didn't finish adapting the original or sad that the adaption was such garbage.