Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm hearing good things about Joyland. Any goon reports?

I thought it was great but as an avid king fan and and a worker in the amusement business I'm a little bias. It reads effortlessly and subject matter was fine for me (obviously). The murder part did feel a little tacked on but I didn't consider it the main storyline anyway. King has a way of making you feel like those little coincidences in life are not coincidences and you are not alone in feeling that way. This book does a good job of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

I started re-reading IT thanks to this thread. Good work, everyone.

So did I. And it was one of the first King books I can remember reading. It's been about 20 years or more so I know the story but the words are like fresh food.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Well, so far the list for reading IT (in the very near future) goes something like this:

Venusian Weasel
3Romeo
syscall girl
FreezingInferno
Aquarium Gravel
bobkatt013
Big Bob Pataki
Shadowed Flames
(maybe)
Soysaucebeast
rypakal
Taeke
The Berzerker
Dr. Goonstein
Murphys Law
(maybe)
and myself (after I finish these last pages of Dr. Sleep)

Me too.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Come on guys, let's just get two more. (You know you want to.)

There will be water if ka wills it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I just finished my re-read of It. I'd read it before and basically remembered the story but not much else. What a pleasant surprise to dive in and find that I either didn't remember it or read it when I was too young to understand this book. King being my favorite author I'm gonna have to take another look at his work and see what else I may have been overlooking like this. The transitions between past and present were very well done and it gave me the same feeling the movie "Stand by me" does. We should all do another re- read of a King classic soon. It's kept the thread active and kept people on the books.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
All fair points Moth but I thought they brought the roont ones back to keep control. They gain nothing by killing them and by returning them it becomes a sort of uneasy truce. The townspeople don't die, they know the ones that get taken aren't slaughtered and they certainly can't complain themselves. Basically the town puts up less of a fight that way.
Edit- And for me at least the wait on the books in this series actually made them easier to swallow. Like how Macdonalds tastes like poo poo and you you know it but if you have been hearing about food since eight a.m. and now it's after five and you haven't eaten, you're gonna love that double quarter meal and the fries.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 27, 2014

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I enjoyed the DT series pretty much from start to finish, so I guess I'm in the minority there.

I did too and the things people are pointing out only struck me later after a second or third read through. They mostly are true though. And I would love for another DT book, flawed or not.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The director actually wants McConaughey as Stu and Christian Bale for Flagg.

"We’re gonna do one three-hour, R-rated version with an amazing A-list cast across the board." ahahaha yeah okay, one three hour film won't be ridiculously disappointing and rushed at all.

For the constant reader, yes. For a great film, maybe. Not that I think we'll see it happen anyway.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I've read pretty much everything King has published that I have been able to get my hands on including every novel, all but I'm sure the most recent or obscure short story, have read a few of the graphic novels and watched most of the movies. I loved almost all of it, even the stuff most people don't, I enjoy just to read the guys stuff. I learned of Joe Hills work about a year ago in this thread and read descriptions of his books and had no interest. I picked up "Horns" last week and devoured it. Are his other books as good? It reminded me at times of two different books. The parts set in current book time are great and kinda Kingesque like King fantasy and I like that. The flashback parts reminded me of the flash backs from "it" with a hint of "a prayer for Owen Meany" which I also liked if that makes sense. I guess what I'm asking is did those of you that read more than "Horns" like the other books or not?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I just paid ten bucks to watch the movie adaptation of "Horns". What. A. Peice. Of. poo poo. They changed every little detail they could change assumingly just to be changing things. Acting was horrible too. As bad as any bad king adaptation.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Christ man, I read fast and didn't really have anything I had to do today and I'm only halfway through it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I liked it. It's definitely "newer King" or whatever but the story is great, it has classic King characters and has a few ties to other books in the King (and Joe Hill I guess) universe and I always love that. The ending is a little weak I thought but I think of it more like the end of a journey kinda thing rather than the last twenty minutes of a blockbuster thing. All in all I hope he continues to put stuff like this out for a long time.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
It can be both. King is my favorite author and I think he's a genius but sometimes, he sucks.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Yes but I considered the part you've already read the better part. But that's the King stuff I like.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Kevin Bacon as Flagg.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 25, 2014

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I saw it earlier and thought it was a good read. But a few things were goofy. They had the tunnel scene at the end of the first stand movie and on that Kevin Smith podcast it was revealed it will be in the second movie. And Flaggs music would be "The End" by The Doors. But some of it I'd never thought of like (and I can see this being obvious for some but I didn't think once of it) using Joe Hill to play King in the dark tower. That and using Andy Serkis for anything.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I liked it. But I thought the ending sucked. And I usually am not in that camp.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
You aren't the only one who feels that way.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
People take the path of least resistance. Yes, people would choose a leader that is Flagg over going cold, hungry, alone and possibly sick. They would then justify the crazy or cruel stuff as "things that happen to other people" and look away.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Talmonis posted:

Doctor Sleep is boring garbage about the kid from The Shining against psychic carnie folk pastiches from the 30's.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I'm with you. I enjoyed every page.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I didn't know it was out. I'll start reading tomorrow.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I am about a third of the way through finders keepers and I too am enjoying it. I can't help but think that this would make a great movie so far. I unabashedly love all of King's work but anyone can see that he writes prison, an authors point of view and children well enough to sell to the masses and so far that's all here.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 8, 2015

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I'm about half way through It and really enjoying my time. I especially like how King ties together his version of a Lovecraftian mythos.

I'm looking to begin the Dark Tower series at some point. What other books of his should I read so that the cameos and tie-ins pay off?

Hearts in Atlantis. The tie in is there and it's a great read. But you could read it later after you've read a few of the Dark Tower books as a kind of break.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

syscall girl posted:

King had a great adviser on carny slang though.

Who was it? I've worked as a "carny" for 19 years now and here definitely is a language on the road and he did get a lot of it right.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Aquarium Gravel posted:

I would think a Dark Tower reader would be used to the various books of the series not matching each other already.

Inside as much as out.

:drat:

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

NOS4A2 is every bit as good as King at his best. It's a seriously incredible book.

Agreed. I've stated before that I'm a sucker for all of King's work and I would at this point say the same for Hill.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I could be wrong as it's been a while since I read it but I think the problem was that by the time he could get to Oswald he'd have spent too many years in the past to be able to get another try at it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

This thread freaks me out when I see a fair amount of replies because I assume King has died.

That very thought has crossed my mind in times where a new book wasn't out and I see a lot of replies. :magical:

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Imagine how the posters in the Game of Thrones thread feel. Poor buggers!

I don't have to imagine, I just lurk much more than I post. Although GRRM (the absolute fucker) and Rothfuss make me appreciate the amount of work King puts out.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I didn't start reading the books until they were all already released

I imagine I would have been Upset if I had read The Wastelands when it first came out and had to wait 6 years for the cliffhanger

It felt about like it feels waiting for a new book in the Game of thrones series.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

RCarr posted:

It's definitely worth reading It and The Shining, even after seeing the movie first and having a general idea how it all plays out?

It's worth reading it after you've read It, watched the old tv series and the new movie.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Karmine posted:

I'm reading the Long Walk right now and I'd totally watch a movie of this poo poo, it's excellent. I'm also trying to imagine if a stage adaptation is logistically feasible, because that's precisely the kind of dweeb I am.

Treadmills.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Every time I’ve thought that about a book I read when I was almost certainly too young to completely digest it I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Sure you might remember what happened to a point but I doubt you remember why and if so you can still enjoy the characters motivation to do so. Or the journey to get there. Every time.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Stephen King: jacking his red raw hog

We need this.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Well, “The Institute” starts strong. Catch me in a week.

I’d like to say the same but I mainly read iBooks and it’s stuck downloading and will not finish. I even preordered.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
So wasn’t someone filming The Stand recently for some format? I’m just curious if production on The Stand got shut down due to coronavirus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Anyone read If It Bleeds? The title story with Holly was a bit bleh but the other stories were fun, was pretty funny reading two of them in particular in our new corona world.

Working on it now. I absolutely flew through the chapters up until the Holly story. Even that one started out with a nice hook. But it’s been a chore to read much of it since.