Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Misery is one of the best things that King has ever written, and remains one of the few stories I've read that has honestly given me the creeps.

Especially that scene at the end, where Paul has escaped, but then he has that imagine spot where Annie is hiding for him in his place. Seriously, the fear and tension there was so strong, I literally jumped reading it.

My favorite King book is Desperation. I've seen a lot of dislike for the book in this thread; can anyone tell me why they don't particularly like it? I liked it because I thought the characters were good, their development was believable and seemed to resonate with me somehow, his description of the town and it going to poo poo was very effective and creepy, and Tak is just a good villain overall. Even the usual King gibberish present in that book doesn't bother me, but I think that's because it's limited to a few words, not some poo poo where he tried to make an entire language or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Pheeets, I'm so sorry to hear that.

For a change of subject, does it bother anyone else that he uses the spelling "goddam"? I can't tell you why it bothers me so much, but as a word, it just looks wrong to me.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

His spelling of "goddamn" bugs the hell out of me, and I don't know why. It looks so wrong.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

java posted:

As long as we are talking about leaps from King to other authors, I'm wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for me. I somewhat recently finished The Stand and greatly enjoyed the first half of the book, particularly the very early parts about the development of Captain Trips and the parts of society slowly coming apart at the seams. Based on an interest with this particular section, does anyone have any recommendations for other books to check out, outside of King?

I would say Bentley Little, but he doesn't have the build-up and stuff King does (at least, what I've read of him). He's got a very similar style to King, enough to where you'll nearly wonder if they're the same guy.

As for people who have developmental blocks of text like that, I'm going to say...Maybe Scott Sigler? I can't say exactly why I recommend him, but it seems like the right person to suggest.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Thanks to this thread, I ordered a copy of Floating Dragon. I'm looking forward to the insanity described within.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Dark Hollow, by Brian Keene, was pretty good, too, I thought. As long as we're talking about the guy, may as well throw that in. It's pretty goddamned odd in some parts, but overall, a good read.

And Darkness on the Edge of Town was a really good read. The Mist vibe works for it, instead of making it feel like a ripoff, it feels more like an alternate path that The Mist itself could have taken.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Not at all! The Stand is a really solid choice, but it is pretty goddamned long.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

finally finished Gerald's Game

the being stuck handcuffed to the bed concept was a cool idea for a story by itself I don't know why he had to add all that other stuff to it

Isn't that kind of King.txt?

For what it's worth, I didn't think Gerald's Game was terrible. It's not good, either, but it can help kill some time if you need to. It might be a good airplane book, if you need one.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'd say re-read Rose Madder. I liked it a lot, and thought the story and characters were solid. Sure, it's really weird at parts, but it works in the story.

I think if any King book warrants a second shot, Rose Madder is it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I liked Dr. Sleep a lot, until the twist at the end. After that revelation, it just kinda got "meh" to me and I was disappointed. I'd go into more detail, but I'm phone posting.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

It makes me kind of sad that I'm apparently one of three people who liked Insomnia. :(

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

kjetting posted:

It could be worse, you could be one of the two people who liked The Dark Half.
I'm the other one.

Wassup, Dark Half buddy?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

What do people have against Rose Madder? I thought it was a good book, and I liked the characters. The story wasn't perfect, but it was kind of cool to see King write an abused woman gaining some power and hope in her life, while seeing her bastard of a husband lose his mind over his ex-wife's independence and control in her life.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

From A Buick 8 was good, too. I'm apparently pretty alone in that opinion, but I like how it's so character-centric (not that his other works aren't), and how the Buick 8 is just there, with no real explanation.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

Bev's holding a cell-phone with a mic on the earbuds? What year is this supposed to be, again?

I thought that was a Walkman.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

the time period is somewhat important considering why it wakes in 1984. it's certainly something that could happen nowadays still but it's far more likely and believable all those years ago (especially since the murder actually happened).

Couldn't that murder just become part of the backdrop? I don't think the time period is as important as some people act like it is, but they want it to stay the same just so they're more familiar with the story. Updating it won't hurt it, since they're going to be telling the It story all the same.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Or a caricature of The Thing. Or the girl from the Exorcist. There's a ton of potential there.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Desperation is still my favorite King book.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Why does he mention Herbert Terryton cigarettes so much? Did one of his parents smoke them?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Misery is one of the few books to make me heavily consider sleeping with the lights on. The ending is incredible and had me constantly checking behind me.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Danny's secret shame was genuinely disturbing to me. It was so incredibly real, and probably not as uncommon as I'd like to think. Dr. Sleep was a good book, but not a good sequel.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Jaden Smith.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

If he did it for the money, there'd be unnecessary sequels all over the place; Desperation, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Cell, It, The Green Mile, Needful Things, etc., etc.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hey, Rose Madder is good! :mad:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Desperation 2: Regulator Boogaloo

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

I'd like a good sequel to The Talisman

What's wrong with Black House? I haven't read it in years, but I don't remember it being terrible.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

This thread freaks me out when I see a fair amount of replies because I assume King has died.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Doctor Sleep is a good book, but not a good sequel.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Something that just occurred to me was the decision to set it in the 80s is a nice touch, brings some modernization to the story, but could the success of Stranger Things have helped influence that? Was that the plan before ST premiered?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Bobbi's sister is one of the few fictional characters I've ever honestly loathed.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I read Desperation as my first King book around that age and loved it.

Eyes of the Dragon is fun too.

I second these. I'd also throw in From A Buick 8, just for the character interactions, which is really King's specialty and what that book is made of.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

What romance sections?

Those involving Misery.

Unless that's the joke and I'm being thick.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Try Gerald's Game for CPS involvement.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

We're going with IT. I wonder if he'll talk about the gangbang lol

And then show him this thread.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I don't know why, but I didn't expect Spike to be the channel with The Mist TV show.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I think there's definitely some potential there.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I liked Regulators, too. gently caress the haters.

Except oldpainless. I value and treasure his opinion.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Nos4atu was really really good. It reminded me of old King.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I never really thought of Carrie as "mean", but since you said it, yeah, that book is mean as hell. It's unabashedly willing to show us the hell that Carrie goes through and pulls no punches. I can't think of another King book that is just plain mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

John Saul is a pretty good writer, too, but he's got a very different style than King. He's really good at all the build-up, but in the stuff I've read, it seems like the climax just happens and it's done. At least King seems to have his climax done with some satisfaction, even if he can't stick the landing.