Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Lord Sandwich posted:

Maximum Overdrive loving rocks. With Emilio Estevez and a soundtrack by AC/DC, how can you go wrong?

I second this. How can you go wrong with Emilio Estevez having a showdown with The Green Goblin in truck form while AC/DC blares in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

kaworu posted:

Also, probably the worst, the cheesiest, the most obscure, the most low-budget (probably), and the one with the least big name actors present. Unless you count Robert Morse and Dean Stockwell as big names - and to be fair I'm fans of both of them!

Don't forget Bronson Pinchot. :)

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

Dreamcatcher, Gerald's Game, and a few others that people say are garbage.

Dreamcatcher is an odd one. It's a weird rip-off of IT. Basically What if the loser's club didn't forget about each other. Having to live your life mystically tied to the people you grew up with. It's not a good book by any means. I just found it sort of interesting in how it relates to IT.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Fair enough but the Losers in IT are real rounded characters. Dreamcatcher is one "I guy" and 3 cardboard cut outs with a tic each. We don't spend any time with them and learn anything about them because they die immediately and in stupid ways which don't really relate to their characters and life choices. We get loads of backstory then the cardboard characters get knocked off in no time once the main events start. Why not have 4 friends with no super powers snowbound in a cabin faced with a threatening alien? That might be cool. King is good at mood, place and (often) character. Why have the powers at all? They are not essential to the situation. Duddits is irrelevant to the plot.

As I said, it's not a good book just sort of interesting. Even King himself hates it.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Get the Steven Weber audiobook and put it on your phone

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Now that I've actually read it I can officially chime in on the preteen orgy in IT: It's truly, truly awful and unneeded, but it's also two pages in an otherwise spectacular 1000+ page book. It didn't overwhelm or ruin the joy of reading the book at all.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its really loving weird and out of nowhere

Like if the Hobbit had a sudden moment when the Dwarfs all have a fisting orgy people would go "Hey a new Hobbit movie is coming out, are they gonna do that fisting scene?"

Everyone is always creeped out by the sewer orgy scene. Just imagine how poor Steven Weber felt having to read it aloud.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Untrustable posted:

I'm reading his bibliography in chronological order and while 20th Century Ghosts was a fantastic anthology; Heart Shaped Box is almost daring me to continue reading it. I'm about a third through, but it's like my Kindle weighs 40lbs every time I try to read more. It's just so...meh.

Just wait till you get to The Fireman. Boy, was that one a slog.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think he's supposed to be right at 30 and James Marsden is 46. Gary Sinise was 37 when the old miniseries started shooting so definitely a little closer.

Marsden has aged really well. He's 9 years older than Sinise was, but looks 10 years younger. Still, the actress playing Frannie is only 22 and looks it. It's quite the noticeable gap between the two.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

Edit - I dont even see the trashcan man.

Maybe the guy at 1:55 in the trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l--4gu4CQBM

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

You remember the Simple Jack bit from Tropic Thunder? Imagine that with ridiculous, Jim Carrey-in-The-Mask rubberface, and speaking in this weird high little boy's voice when not gibbering and screeching.

It reminded me of a grade school kid from the 80's doing a really offensive impersonation of a mentally challenged person.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Sheen Sheen posted:

Vegas definitely makes sense from a practical perspective re: military bases, but unless King was going for some sort of ironic point, making Vegas a weirdly Puritan society seems a little strange

It's been years since I've read the book, but from what I remember I think it was supposed to be sort of a surprise. You know Flagg is setting up in Vegas, but you don't actually see it for quite a while. I think maybe not until Boulder's spies get there. You and the spies are expecting things to be all sorts of crazy Mad Max anarchy, and it turns out that they're very orderly and a hell of a lot more advanced than Boulder.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 12, 2021

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm still going through the Kill Count playlist and got o Dr. Sleep. I didn't know this was a Shining sequel.

Is it worth reading? What are its connections to The Shining?

It's not great. It's about adult Danny's struggles with substance abuse. And vampires.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

It's good, you can’t really go wrong with Joe Hill.

I didn't like "The Fireman". Everything else is great though.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

bobjr posted:

Also the last part is one of the sadder things I've read with them all forgetting each other.

I've always wondered. What replaced those memories? Fake memories? Nothing? If I remember correctly, a couple of them stayed close until they moved away to college. That's a lot of your life to just be missing.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

mdemone posted:

Ain't very old yet, are ya?

Neither are they. I'm about the same age as the adult versions of the characters. I've got a terrible memory, but having absolutely NO memory of your childhood is far from normal.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Is Dreamcatcher good? I saw the movie forever ago, I hear it wasn't a great adaptation but I just randomly thought of it when perusing a list of King audiobooks.

It is not well regarded. I thought it was okay, and I think I've got a higher opinion of it than most. Even King has said he doesn't like it. It was written by hand as a way to help recover from his accident, and as such he was on a lot of pain medication.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm listening to the audiobook of Needful Things. It's got little nods to radio dramas like including a bell sound whenever the door opens to Gaunt's store.

I've never been a fan of audiobooks, but I think I'd like radio drama adaptations of books. Is that a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I fell in love with The Gunslinger from the first page.

Same here. It might be my favorite in the series. It's got more of a grim western feel that the others lack. Which is right up my alley.