Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've always been a big fan of Stephen King but haven't read anything of his for about 5 years or so. I'm currently at work and browsing this thread as today I have received a copy of Under The Dome in the post.

Throughout the thread I noticed a lot of people mentioning King's foreshadowing of people's deaths, something which I don't really remember noticing.

Just opened up Under the Dome and on the second page, "Their lives had another forty seconds to run." Just found it amusing that something I never really picked up on before came up immediately.

Still looking forward to it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I didn't like End of Watch all that much, it was pretty much just okay. To be fair it kept me entertained enough to power through it in two sittings but it felt like real by-the-numbers stuff to me.

Hodges is a good character but that's about it. The bad guy is pretty chilling I guess but nothing we haven't seen before, literally in this case. Holly remains insufferable.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Revival hooked me instantly and I powered through it in one sitting. Plenty of books can be creepy at the time and certainly sow seeds for sleepless nights after putting them down, but I don't think I've encountered a line that inspired such an immediate sense of dread as:

"Lightning had smashed the lock on a door that was never supposed to be opened, and Mother came through."

Just the whole build up to that point was perfect and it absolutely chilled me. Unfortunately it then turned out to be ants. Well, the journey there was excellent, at least.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

syscall girl posted:

It was one of if not the most dismal things he ever wrote.

Like Poe and Lovecraft got in an argument about how to write a worldview that alternately makes you want to kill yourself, but also afraid to do so.

Sleep with the lights on.

To me it just seemed a bit too humdrum compared to the buildup. Not to say it wasn't bleak as hell, but just being a slave to ants for eternity was a bit too, I don't know, relatable?

I guess that's always a problem about writing about cosmic, unknowable horrors, putting them into words seems to bring them down somewhat.

Edit: I think it's just for me that line put me at such fever pitch that almost nothing would have lived up to it. When I read "Mother came through" I thought it was going to be some real wrath of God, mind-melting insanity, but it was just a physical monster that could be killed.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 8, 2016

Lemon
May 22, 2003

UncleMonkey posted:

Yeah, I don't buy the viral marketing thing either. I think it's just some morons having a laugh. This isn't new. If I remember correctly, there was an incident a year or two back with some random creepy clown appearing around England somewhere that I can't remember (I want to say Birmingham for some reason?). Also, a few months ago there was some creepy clown dressed all in black spotted throughout Wisconsin. This is some dumb new internet thing or something. I don't buy that it's connected to anything, just people being assholes. Creepy assholes, yes. But I'm guessing that's the point.

'Course, easy for me to talk big. They haven't popped up in NH yet (that I'm aware).

The one in the UK was the Northampton clown, who was compared to Pennywise in a few of the reports on him. And yeah that just turned out to be a student having a laugh.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The Fireman is Joe Hill's worst novel by far and even then it's not bad, it's just forgettable.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I like Hex, I thought it was a great premise that hooked me in right away. The characters were all mostly entertaining and it moved at a pretty good pace. And I found the ending to be something of a disappointment compared to the buildup.

So pretty much a perfect recommendation for a King fan imo

Lemon
May 22, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

I liked HEX well enough.Part of the problem was I could kind of tell that the author wasn't American, and had transplanted his own story from a dutch town to an American one. I also think the ending was a little weak (Again, changed). But also there's one character in particular, who's practically a main character, and they just completely vanish. I had to go back and check just in case.

I like the idea a lot though, particularly that there's this whole Government program centered around keeping people from this town.

Who was it? Spoiler it, i'd be interested to know.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Didn't Pennywise at least sometimes look like just a normal, non-evil clown? Why the heck wouldn't Georgie run screaming away from that clearly evil visage in the storm drain???

Minor nitpick though, it looks pretty good!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

IT. Make or break.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

IT was a serious suggestion, but I'd also recommend Nightmares & Dreamscapes and Skeleton Crew. These were pretty much the first three Stephen King books I read in that order at that age and hooked me completely.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I found the part in The Troop where they killed the turtle to somehow be one of the more harrowing things I had read in years.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Have you read any of his short stories? If not I seriously recommend digging into Skeleton Crew or Nightmares & Dreamscapes post haste.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

blue squares posted:

oh yeah pretty much all of them. I forgot. I also read Gunslinger but decided not to continue Dark Tower

Oh well in that case I'd recommend The Shining because it's awesome. I'm thinking through his other books and the only other 'cast of characters' one I can really bring to mind is From a Buick 8. Which I think is fantastic, but the general consensus is mixed. Maybe Desperation? It's pretty dumb but fun and technically is about a group of characters in a small town.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I liked The Dark Half, there were some fun bits in it and it features Sheriff Pangborn.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Kid Richie is. Adult Richie is supposed to be funny and successful.

James Corden is successful and many people find him funny.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

My girlfriend has never read any Stephen King but after watching Castle Rock she said she wanted to give him a try, so I've lent her my copies of Skeleton Crew and Everything's Eventual.

She texted me the next day to say that King "knows a lot of proverbs, doesn't like writing endings and thinks cigarettes behind the ear are really cool"

Pretty much nailed it

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I read Dr Sleep and thought it was decent enough; not terrible but not amazing. Is it worth me watching the movie at all? Does it do anything interesting with the source material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Eason the Fifth posted:

For me the one perfect shot of Roland was from Michael Whelan on the inside cover of book 7. And it looks so much like Clint that I absolutely want Scott Eastwood in the role:

I love his dainty little finger there