Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I actually liked the Dreamcatcher novel but didn't really care for the movie. I think King's main problem is that it's hard for him to vary up his quirky dialogue/characterization roles that's become so accustomed to. You either really like this style or get bored of it after awhile. I didn't care for Rose Madder and Songs of Suzannah, I think they were easily his worst books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zimadori Zinger posted:

I blew through Susannah, and honestly the only part I enjoyed was the shootout Roland and Eddie had after they went through the door.

People poo poo on Wolves of the Calla quite a bit, I think mainly for the whole Roland dancing thing but I thought it was worlds better than the last two books. In general King has always been really hit or miss and I don't care for the magical retard plot devices that been in far too many of his books. To be fair though, when you've put out as much work as this guy has, some of it is going to be bad or at least not resonate with the reader like previous works did.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Adar posted:

The movie got ruined by Darabont's ending but was otherwise exactly the way I've always envisioned the short story in my head. The short story itself is tied for my favorite King book with the Long Walk, which Darabont is doing next/I'm kinda looking forward to because TLW can only be shot as a B movie.

Dreamcatcher/DT V-VII are by far the worst of his books - nothing he wrote before the accident is in the same league.

Darabont's ending wasn't horribly far off the mark. They were sitting around in a hotel room running out of supplies without any hope, their car had run out of gas and they could still hear the massive things walking around outside. The character is even contemplating suicide or something if I recall correctly.

Stephen King writes amazing short stories, anyone who hates his novels should check out the collections he does. The Jaunt and Dolan's Cadillac are pretty awesome.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Adar posted:

Have you guys reread The Mist recently?

One word is Hartford. The other is hope.

I mean, yeah, it's not a happy ending by any means, but it's not the total pit of despair that you're making it out to be. (Okay, pretty close. But the point was that we don't know what happened.)

Yeah there was that but without any way of getting there well...

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Metonymy posted:

Haha. Fair enough. But that doesn't change the fact that his forced folksiness and neologisms feel awkward. Whether it's cockadoodie or howken, it feels like it darkles or tincts, and it's so grating that it takes me out of the story. Which is ironic, because I think the vocabulary is supposed to make me feel like it's a well-developed world.

I've heard many complaints about The Dark Tower series but this is definitely a first. If it's not your cup of tea then fair enough but you're harping on what really attracted most people to the story in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Long Walk is one of his best short stories, you won't be disappointed with that one.