Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Hennergy posted:

My vote would probably go to Wizard and Glass. That entire novel could do without the whole middle section.

gently caress off, that's one of the best things King's done.

If you didn't have a lump in your throat at the final Susan scene at the very least, you have no soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Zimadori Zinger posted:

It wasn't so much that the middle was necessarily bad, but for fucks sake it was after the cliffhanger with Blaine. They get off, settle down, and Roland tells a story that takes up pretty much 7/8ths of the book with little to no progression towards the Tower until the end? Ugh.

If it didn't rip you completely away from the quest for the Tower, and was maybe told in interspersed flashbacks while they kept moving (like how he did it in Gunslinger, and kind of LOST style), I wouldn't have felt so bored and ultimately annoyed with it. He definitely could have trimmed off more than half of Roland's flashback.

IMHO, the Blaine resolution was a bit of an anticlimax, and the coda part with Roland and co was certainly a waste (King must have run out of inspiration for this part). The Tick-Tock Man, who was set up to be an awesome foil for Roland, got killed as an afterthought, and Flagg was a bit of a pussy. (Though I suppose it was a warning for what was to come in DT 5-7).

As for the flashback, perhaps it would have been better in chunks rather than two near-consecutive sections, but I thought it was one of Kings better works nevertheless. We get a much needed look at Alain and Cuthbert, that bit with Roland's journey in the glass after the showdown with Jonas and co is pure awesomeness and sets up his obession in DT1-3 perfectly, and the Susan storyline is handled perfectly.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

I think he's talking about the part when one of the characters sees the graffiti that reads "PENNYWISE LIVES!" or something like that. I liked that part too.

More specifically, the "Pennywise Lives!" graffiti on a statue put up by the Loser's Club.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Let's talk King adaptations!

The brilliant:
- Shawshank, obviously. One of the best movies of all goddamn time, let alone best adaptations of his work.
- Stand By Me is another classic, I love that movie so much :h:
- The Mist has to be the best adaptation of his horror work by a long, long way.

The mediocre:
- The Stand had its moments (IE: mostly just the first episode). Rob Lowe and Gary Sinise are the two best things about it by far. Randall Flagg looks ridiculous in his all-denim outfit. Are they trying to make him look like a badass?

The awful:
- The Lawnmower Man - how did this even get to call itself a Stephen King adaptation? It had nothing to do with the story!
- Dreamcatcher - although I've heard the book is terrible too, so maybe it's faithful after all? Also, inexplicably, being possessed by an alien makes you talk in a British accent.

The non-adaptatons:
- Storm Of The Century was an original miniseries right? Anyway it's a bit slow but I really liked it.

The things Stephen King adapted:
- Kingdom Hospital - takes the hosed up, super-scary Danish black comedy and turns it into... loving trash. With gigantic armadillos.

As well as The Shining, you left out Carrie (pretty good).

Shame the same can't be said for the TV version of IT. Tim Curry was good as Pennywise, but everything else about it was poo poo.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So I think it's safe to say that The Dark Tower had really nothing to do with The Stand, TS is not connected until the edits. I don't know if Flagg mentions the Stand in any DT book or anything.

Huh?

The Stand is referenced in both DT: The Wastelands and Wizard & Glass. The whole beginning section after they end up in fantasy Kansas ties into the Stand, with the Captain Trips outbreak and graffiti mentioning Mother Abagail and the Walking Due.

As for Flagg, he explicitly refers to events in the Stand when talking to the Tick Tock Man in DT3: "You remind me of an old friend of mine. He ended up betraying me, but I still have a soft spot for him. Can you say "my life for you!", Andrew?"

Hemp Knight fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 7, 2012

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Lucifer's Hammer covers the aftermath of an impact event; the leadup and actual event itself is pretty riveting reading, the rest is sort of forgettable.

Earth Abides was okay, but I agree with King's assessment that the second half sort of falls flat.

Alas, Babylon may be my favorite; there's no great good vs evil battle, no tinpot Duke of Toledo type dictator or villain, just a pretty realistic (at least for the time) depiction of a Florida town's recovery from a massive NATO/Warsaw Pact nuclear exchange.

World War Z follows closely; assuming you're not sick to the teeth of zombie fiction, it has a massive worldwide scope and treats the zombie apocalypse more as a logistics puzzle that has to be solved and AIDS allegory.

The Passage trilogy (currently only 2 books are out) deals with a vampire-induced apocalypse (a more feral, vicious, insect-like vampire than you normally see)

I Am Legend is also far better than any of the films based on it.

Those are a few off the top of my head that don't pound you over the head with it. I'd like to thank my first reading of The Stand 22 years ago for ensuring I have a bookshelf/DVD shelf full of poo poo where humanity buys the farm or comes close.

I've read the last three of those, but will have to check the others out. Any other recommendations?

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

How are the newer Carrie adaptations? I've seen a lot of people praise the original as possibly the best adaptation of a King novel ever but I don't know much about the newer stuff.

The 1976 one is still the best.

The FX, fashions, and the style of the film are all of their time, but Chloe Grace Moretz is no Sissy Spacek. Just take the prom scene. in the 2013 version, it’s all CGM waving her arms around and trying to be dramatic, while Spacek just stands still and lets her eyes do all the acting.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Smuck that babyluv poo poo. Hands down the worst SK book I’ve read.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

If I recall correctly, didn't The Wastelands have a similar scene during the Fall of Lud? Someone was leading people into a mechanical device that killed them horribly?

They were also having multiple daily hangings when the drums started.

Which always irritated me a bit, seems that that even nearly mad people would: a) not put up with it for long and b) they’d soon find themselves running short of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Cleuseau Remos posted:

https://www.goodreads.com/characters/424-trashcan-man

Trashcan man set fire to "oil tanks in Powtanville"

I remember the character as a kid but it's been awhile.

Don’t ask him about old lady Semple.