Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Am I alone in thinking "The Long Walk" was the best thing he's written? I'd like to see a movie made of it, but can't really see it happening.

Frank Darabont apparently holds the cinematic rights to it, though, you're right, I'm not sure how they're gonna be able to do it.

As for the best? It's good, but I still have a bit of a soft spot for The Running Man. It really can't be stated enough, the only thing that story shares with the movie version is the drat title.

As for the worst? Lisey's Story was a bit of a clunker, and, as mentioned, Cell fell off a cliff big time near the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

Locus posted:

The Stand's anti-climaxes pissed me off. Not even the ending, but Wooo, big awesome bad guy buildup, maybe birth of some sort of crazy antichrist to make the final stages of the book exciting? Maybe! Stay tuned! Maaaaaybe! Here it comes! Oh, nope.

One thing to think about, as King mentions in On Writing He got a fairly decent case of writers block something like 2/3rds of the way into The Stand, and came close to giving up on it altogether, which probably has something to do with the way it ended

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

rypakal posted:

I thought Tomnyknockers was his first sober book, and It his last addict one, and Cujo is the one he doesn't remember.

And this is why rereading is so valuable to me. I had completely forgotten the smoke hole vision.

Cujo is the one he doesn't remember. Needful Things was the first sober book, so his last addict one was probably Tommyknockers, or The Dark Half.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

A $25 giftcard for the Nook was nicely chewed up by The Stand, It, and Doctor Sleep. And I have the next few days off. Sounds like a plan.

The email from Barnes and Noble with the Subject Line "It is ready for download" struck me as absurdly funny for some reason, and I am chalking it up to holiday stress.