Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imabanana
May 26, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

If he's a modern teenager, have him read "The Long Walk". Should cheer him right up just in time for high school.

The Long Walk might be the best thing King ever wrote anyway. It's what I always recommend to people who might not like King's supernatural horror.

Blows my mind there's never been a movie adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imabanana
May 26, 2006
I just read Run by Blake Crouch, and it gave me Stephen King vibes. He's the Wayward Pines guy, but I haven't gone through that or any of his other work yet.

imabanana
May 26, 2006
I've tried to read Lisey's Story 3x now, and each time I abandon it early - am I missing anything? It's the only King book I haven't read (I read most of his poorer showings when I was a kid and my tolerance for bad writing was higher.)

imabanana
May 26, 2006
Premium Harmony is just a weird story coming from a guy worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Like, distasteful almost.

There's a scene in one of these short stories where a girl in her 20's who works for a Buzzfeed clone describes the distance between New York and Florida as something like "as far as an AM radio signal will travel, at least at night" and I cringed so hard. People in that age demo definitely spend a lot of time thinking about AM radio.

Someone should count how many times King has written about m-80s in short stories and novels. Has to be dozens.

This is definitely one of his worst collections, but there's a couple of decent stories, so worth it I guess.

imabanana
May 26, 2006
Duma Key, Joyland, and, if you've read the Dark Tower, The Wind Through the Keyhole is also very good.

I would say Joyland and 11/22/63 are my favorite latter day King books.

Full Dark, No Stars has a couple of good stories in it, also.

imabanana
May 26, 2006
Is there anyone besides Joe Hill putting out short story collections like King's old ones? I am not hopeful because I know it's a mostly dead format (at least compared to 30+ years ago), but I'd enjoy reading anything even half as interesting as Skeleton Crew and Night Shift.

I think part of what was great is that King was able to move between horror, sci-fi, etc. in those collections so you really never had an idea of what was coming next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imabanana
May 26, 2006

stratdax posted:

Easy read though, the chapters are about 1.5 pages long. Is that a common King thing?

I think it's becoming a late-career thing because I just noticed this with his newest.

Which really wasn't great in general. Like, it was fine, but I had half-forgotten it a week later.

Kind of starting to accept the fact that King might never write a book I consider good again. In the 2010s I enjoyed Joyland, Revival, The Wind Through The Keyhole, and 11/22/63, but the newest of those was written in 2014. I'm afraid it might mostly be hack crime novels from here on out.