Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why are plurals of animals in English so hosed up http://animal.discovery.com/animal-facts/22-peculiar-names-for-groups-of-animals.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why is "sophomoric" an insult and how did it come to be?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

In fancy-pants literature speak, what role does quidditch really play in Harry Potter?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Brainworm posted:

That sounds like a storytelling cop-out, and when its done badly it is. We've all read stories where the protagonist is the protagonist -- and allegedly special -- for no good reason. It's why people make fun of Twilight and Mary Sue fan fiction; a protagonist who's not special has to become special. They have to earn it, like Luke does by training in the swamp with Yoda and getting slapped around by Vader. When a character doesn't earn the right to be the center of the story, we feel cheated.

Using your professional judgment, is Rey a Mary Sue? I the First Order a Villian Sue?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 5, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

This might be more about film language, but why does the No Place Like Home scene work even though it's bullshit that violates all the rules of storytelling.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

U R a badass Brainwom

Edit: I want to remind everyone how METAL someone who dresses like a suffragette can be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AldxVQ8z5FQ

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 2, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Would Harry Potter have been better if Harry was credibly tempted by the darkside at least a little (exempting a few outbursts, like attempting crucio on Bellatrix)?

Edit: he gets a Ring of Gyges and the story is eh whatever about it.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 21, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Also what do you think Rowlings intentions were in creating a slave race that legit want to be enslaved and have a subplot mocking Hermione for trying to Social Justice it?

And then give me the Death Of The Author version.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are you familiar with the Dungeons and Dragons character Drizzt Dro'Urden? Is there a more antique precedent for that kind of character other than maybe Chiron?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 2, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a rational reason Shakespeare decided to anglicize Marc Anthony's name?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If Chekovs gun doesn't fire and the other shoe doesn't drop, is that bad writing?

Edit:

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a rational reason Shakespeare decided to anglicize Marc Anthony's name?

I should have included, "and no one else gets anglicized"

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 3, 2020

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Flappy Bert posted:

How did 'foreshadowing' become such a well-known and (imo) overrated tool? Is there anything too it other than that it's pedagogically simple both for teachers' lesson plans and for the least common denominator of students?

Human cognition is based on pattern recognition.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the "point" of Snow White in terms of literary value or child development or pedagogy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I can't put my finger on why “He was with my mom in the Amazon when she was researching spiders right before she died.” is meme worthy.