Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

This question pertains graduate admissions. I don't know necessarily what hand you have in it where you are, but I figure you probably still have a good bit of perspective on it. I graduated with a 2.9. Didn't get in to the one place I applied (as kind of a litmus test), and certainly wasn't surprised. I took a couple graduate level courses in the fall through their continuing education program to try and work on proving myself outside of the holes I'd put in my undergrad transcript. I was doing fine in these courses until the end of the semester when I choked putting together the papers at the end of the semester. This has been my perennial problem knuckling down and getting the big important things done. Anyway, at that point I didn't bother reapplying for this coming fall, but I'm still trying to sort out my next path.

Getting a handle on the bad habits which dog at me aside, I'm trying to figure out what I should probably do next. I've continued to shoot myself in the foot. Would it be productive to go pursue some things which later on would look good when reapplying? (teaching English abroad, foreign service exam are things I've considered) Or continue taking courses while not in the program? Or maybe do that at some other school? Ignoring the fact that I have a gulf between my interests and my actions, do I have any hope of digging myself out of the hole I've made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

BrideOfUglycat posted:

I've been considering going back for post-bacc training. However, some of the stories I hear about doing so makes me nervous. Is it true that you need to be fluent in two other languages? What else can you tell us lowly Bacc grads about getting a Masters or our PhD?

Personally, I've never really heard that before. I mean even in linguistics it's not a requirement (anywhere that I've encountered, though it certainly wouldn't hurt).

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

FoiledAgain posted:

For my PhD (in linguistics) two languages other than English are required. When I was checking out schools, this seemed normal. One language other than English was usually required for the MA. I was looking mostly in Canada. It might not be that way elsewhere.

The language requirement can be met in various way. You don't have to be totally fluent to pass. At my school you can:
a) be a native speaker, b) have taken 4 or more university courses in that language with at least a B+, c) pass a reading test by translating an academic article from that language into English, d)find a native speaker of that language who can vouch for you. That last option was for lesser taught languages, or for field work languages that linguists are learning as they study them.

Most universities have a "graduate handbook" that you can download from the department website. It will detail what the requirement for the degree are: course work, languages, qualifying papers, thesis, etc.

Sorry, I was mostly referring to MA. PhD most definitely. Though, yeah, I mean I can't think that I've met too many linguists who hasn't put at least a little substantial study to a language beyond their native tongues.

Head Movement fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 11, 2009

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

Jumping in as a linguist, there's no such thing as a "secondary modal form". That said, obviously, from a descriptive perspective there is nothing wrong with using "can" to ask permission.