Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'd just like to add, social science articles and books translated from French are the loving worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'd like to get into some Arthurian stuff, but don't know where to begin. I've got an Audible credit and I'm sorta looking at Tennyson right now, tell me why that's a bad idea.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks! I think I'll go with White's novel, then. I'm neck-deep in textbooks about chivalry and whatnot and could use something lighter. Trying to learn to listen to poetry might kill my enthusiasm about knights stone dead. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

One thing that sets The Next Generation (and The Original Series in particular) apart from most scifi on TV is that Gene Roddenberry was very insistent that the Federation was to be portrayed as a post-scarcity utopia, so the crew wants for nothing and everybody gets along. Zero bickering on the ship allowed. He even personally rewrote early scripts that had too much inter-crew conflict, and writers kept walking out in frustration. (Source)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So what was Game of Thrones about, anyway?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks, that's much more thorough an answer than what I was expecting.

Brainworm posted:

In Shakespeare, of course, all that gets resolved by a divinely-appointed warrior king repressing everybody into decency. And -- from the beginning -- I thought that's where Martin was going (like, the forces of Fire unite first and then take on the Night King in one all-out holy war).
This surprises me because on the face of it, this seems just like the kind of bulk fantasy Chosen One thing that would have the series's fans crying foul. But thinking about it, I guess there would be enough divine meddling in the books to build that kind of finale on.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's been ages, but thank you for recommending T.H. White's The Once and Future King. I finished the audiobook edition recently and I really enjoyed it. Even though it gets really dark in The Candle in the Wind, it was still a really positive and touching experience.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey, what's satire? How do I tell if a piece of British pulp scifi is a satire, or just happens to be about bad people doing bad things?

I'm asking because I'm reading a Warhammer forty thousand novel and, well, I could see why this setting is a hit in some right wing nerd circles.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Brainworm posted:

If it were satire it'd be funny.
Thank you!

litany of gulps posted:

Isn't the trick though that Warhammer IS funny. It's a total mockery of fascism, but there's a large audience that sees the exaggerated mockup of fascism and thinks "that's really cool!" To one person, the ultra-masculine SPACE MARINE with no penis is an obvious joke.
Can you explain what's funny about Marneus Calgar, Chapter Master of the Ultramarines and Lord of Macragge not having a willy?

Being more fascist than real fascists isn't inherently funny, you need some kind of delivery. It's the difference between Heinlein's Troopers and Verhoeven's Troopers (or so I've gathered, I've not actually seen/read either in years). Historically, there have been some okay satires set in 40k, like The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer (2003), but their success doesn't actually transfer over to all the lazy grim-darkness-by-the-numbers slurry out there. For instance the novel I mentioned, The Dark Imperium by Guy Haley (2018), simply reproduces fascist imagery while apparently sincerely framing the main characters' Fascism Lite™ as a beacon of hope for the insane galaxy. It doesn't actually make fun of anything, it unironically sets about trying to somehow fix the nightmare setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm honestly just annoyed when fans and Games Workshop, the publisher, dodge the problem of right-wing dorks in the hobby with "it's satire, there are no good guys, these people are missing the point". Not only does that not seem supported by the text, it also kind of misses that tons of nerds find validation in the villains.

But I guess nerd politics are kind of outside this thread's topic. :shobon: