Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.
Did you attend the SAA conference in DC in April? If so, did you hear any papers that you found to be particularly compelling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Brainworm posted:

I did not. I've this conspiracy of coincidences that's kept me away from SAA for the past few years.

But you should know that the SAA annual conference ends with a dance. Like prom. And SAA is what I'll generously call a heavily-tenured conference, so it's well worth the trip to see Stephen Greenblatt close dance with Margarita de Grazia through a block of Wilson Phillips. Or to see a recently-divorced senior member of the Texas A&M faculty make out with a recently-graduated former student.

So even when I go, I try hard to forget.
Haha. Many of my colleagues were there so this image is pretty amusing.

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Are there any performances you think you absolutely must see in your lifetime?

One of the best Shakespeare performances I've ever seen was pretty small and performed in the gardens at Clare College in Cambridge. They were doing a summer outdoor series and I saw a production of Twelfth Night that made me laugh harder than I'd ever laughed beforehand*. Whoever did the costuming found the most glorious neon-yellow and black leggings for Malvolio...

I was in Stratford-upon-Avon when Patrick Stewart was playing Prospero in The Tempest and still haven't quite forgiven myself for not trying harder to get tickets.

I know that the Folger is putting on Much Ado About Nothing and Hamlet next season. I'm kind of hoping they go with a longer Hamlet performance. I'd really like to see some of the scenes that usually get left out.

I just saw that McKellan's RSC 2007 King Lear is out on DVD now too...

So, what would make you say, "Yes, I absolutely must go watch that"?

*Could also be attributed to the copious amounts of mulled wine they handed out before/during the performance.