Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BillyBlanks posted:

Coming from someone who's convinced they're a good one

it really doesn't take a lot to be a better person than someone who calls a woman a fat dyke ape for being in a movie they disliked, dude

maybe they give a lot to cancer research or something i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

im going to have sex with the angry nerd

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

it really doesn't take a lot to be a better person than someone who calls a woman a fat dyke ape for being in a movie they disliked, dude

maybe they give a lot to cancer research or something i guess

It also doesn't take much to not call people dickless virgins for that. Like, how do you get over age 20 and not realize it's better to just not bother responding to that?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Sorry to derail your Ghostbusters chat with a new Mike & Bootsy video:
http://cinemassacre.com/2016/07/21/breakout-atari-2600-mike-bootsy/

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

al-azad posted:

Doing video editing and stuff, you know actual good distracting work. I babysit users which leads me to browse social media during long downtime and hate myself every second.

Me too, it sucks. Maybe I should have looked into a different career.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It also doesn't take much to not call people dickless virgins for that. Like, how do you get over age 20 and not realize it's better to just not bother responding to that?

Pretty high expectations for the Angry Video Game Nerd Megathread.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

:suicide:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

This whole Ghostbusters thing is stupid and I don't get it. It's just a movie. I don't get why such a big deal is being made out of it or why crazy internet mysoginist assholes are having a huge hate boner for women because the cast are all women, or why some outspoken and aggressive feminists view any criticism of the movie as a criticism against feminism and women itself and therefore the critics are all misogynists.

It's just a movie made to advertise products and sell cheap poo poo to kids and people who are way too invested in Ghostbusters for their own good and a launchpad to milk the franchise for more sequels and spinoffs, most of which will probably be extremely shallow yet enjoyable. The idea of a summer popcorn flick sparking such a huge debate and discussion is completely baffling to me, almost as much as when people complained about Mad Max: Fury Road because of Furiosa or they agreed with the villain or some stupid poo poo. But then again, I don't have really any nostalgia for the earlier Ghostbusters movies. I liked 1 well enough but I'm not a hardcore fan and I thought 2 sucked and although people tell me the reboot is actually good, I'm not a fan of the kind of humor the movie uses from what I've seen which means it probably isn't for me.

I don't get why James even got brought into this at all or why he's been slammed for not wanting to see it. It's his choice to not see it, it's not like he's going online on the crazier places of Reddit and complaining about how women should remain in the kitchen or something.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Mr. Fortitude posted:

This whole Ghostbusters thing is stupid and I don't get it. It's just a movie. I don't get why such a big deal is being made out of it or why crazy internet mysoginist assholes are having a huge hate boner for women because the cast are all women, or why some outspoken and aggressive feminists view any criticism of the movie as a criticism against feminism and women itself and therefore the critics are all misogynists.

It's just a movie made to advertise products and sell cheap poo poo to kids and people who are way too invested in Ghostbusters for their own good and a launchpad to milk the franchise for more sequels and spinoffs, most of which will probably be extremely shallow yet enjoyable. The idea of a summer popcorn flick sparking such a huge debate and discussion is completely baffling to me, almost as much as when people complained about Mad Max: Fury Road because of Furiosa or they agreed with the villain or some stupid poo poo. But then again, I don't have really any nostalgia for the earlier Ghostbusters movies. I liked 1 well enough but I'm not a hardcore fan and I thought 2 sucked and although people tell me the reboot is actually good, I'm not a fan of the kind of humor the movie uses from what I've seen which means it probably isn't for me.

I don't get why James even got brought into this at all or why he's been slammed for not wanting to see it. It's his choice to not see it, it's not like he's going online on the crazier places of Reddit and complaining about how women should remain in the kitchen or something.

Honestly it's because the people behind the movie pushed that narrative as soon as the trailer hit and got poo poo on

And to be fair, it worked - look at the inflated score it has on RT. Look at how people have rallied around the movie along political divides - this movie sucked pretty hard and you have people predictably saying it was good based on their political identity

He got brought into it because he made a video saying he didn't want to see it because of reasons which have nothing to do with the female cast, and the outrage machine of the left went in on him just like they did on Roeper. Some of those types are in this very thread and they're pretty easy to spot - hope that helps

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

it's just an atari game. So back to what everyone was talking about before.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

oswald ownenstein posted:

Some of those types are in this very thread and they're pretty easy to spot - I'm a huge prick

I think you're a prick because you keep antagonizing people in this, the Angry Video Game Nerd Megathread. Would you just let it go man?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Hear Hear, My thoughts exactly. Both sides of this whole issue are crazy. More and more people online seem to define their identities by their leisure activities to an unhealthy degree. It's like people don't seem to get that there's more to life than mass media. People see a new Indiana Jones or Ghostbusters movie they don't like and react like it's some sort of personal insult to their very identity. It's totally insane. I love goofy action movies as much as the next guy, but they're just a little mindless fun. That's all, nothing worth losing your poo poo over.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

They are angry nerds.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I see that scene in crystal Skull where the monkeys come to Mutt's rescue because they have the same haircut and it's so stupid. So, so stupid. But also cute. Like, how could this make anyone angry? Relax, it's a movie about a sixty year old man racing against a communist psychic to get an alien skull. If you don't like it, just try to enjoy the absurdity.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is worth losing your poo poo over. Indy doesn't kill anybody and the villains aren't cartoon enough.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Super Ninja Fish posted:

it's just an atari game. So back to what everyone was talking about before.

Breakout is not JUST an Atari game.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Hear Hear, My thoughts exactly. Both sides of this whole issue are crazy. More and more people online seem to define their identities by their leisure activities to an unhealthy degree. It's like people don't seem to get that there's more to life than mass media. People see a new Indiana Jones or Ghostbusters movie they don't like and react like it's some sort of personal insult to their very identity. It's totally insane. I love goofy action movies as much as the next guy, but they're just a little mindless fun. That's all, nothing worth losing your poo poo over.

I post about this kind of poo poo a lot, because well, I see it a lot and I find it extremely disturbing. People are defining themselves by the corporate-made entertainment they consume and fighting political battles in well... fictional universes that don't actually exist. It's completely illogical and baffling. Are our lives so empty and meaningless that we feel a need to retreat from reality into fantasy worlds, and then make said fantasy worlds a political battleground? Talk about hosed up priorities.

Oh, Star Wars has a black stormtrooper in it. That's nice, who cares?

Oh, they made Thor a girl in a comic book. Spider-Man is a black kid. That's nice, who cares?

Oh, they drew Spider-Woman's rear end in a sexy unrealistic pose. That's nice, who cares?

Oh, the Ghostbusters are women. That's nice, who cares?

I also find it kind of disturbing that people are now making moral judgments on other people from what entertainment they may or may not consume. What the everliving gently caress? Maybe we should judge people by their actions, and not whether or not they're interested in seeing Ghostbusters for gently caress's sake. It's just a movie. Maybe you like a thing, and someone else doesn't. Or you don't like a thing, and someone else does. Maybe you should just live and let live.

And quite frankly, the actions of people on both sides of the culture war are pretty goddamn foul, so regardless of what side you fall on, don't pretend you have the moral high ground, because you don't. People are utterly convinced that they are "the good guys" and those other people are "the bad guys", but from what I can tell, both sides are utterly reprehensible and while they self-righteously crow about how good and moral they are, their actions show anything but.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

lol at all this "both sides are bad" bullshit

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Breadallelogram posted:

Look, there are horrible racist misogynists, and then there are video game enthusiasts. Clearly, both sides are equally guilty.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Breadallelogram posted:

"false equivalency, you are objectively a bad person :goonsay:"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

You're being part of the problem. Or I guess lashing out at innocent people is okay as long as you're on the right side and not the wrong side.

I can't loving defend Milo and his fans because they're loving turds, but guys like Ben Dreyfuss tell people they should get raped and murdered, I can't get behind them, either.
http://fredrikdeboer.com/2016/07/20/whos-in-and-whos-out-thats-still-the-only-question/

When you do something wrong, you do something wrong. It doesn't matter who you are or who you are doing it to. Two wrongs do not make a right. I absolutely cannot stand hypocrites and both sides are chock full of them, as moral crusaders tend to be.

Unless people can put aside their petty differences and learn to tolerate each other, we are doomed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gammatron 64 posted:

I post about this kind of poo poo a lot, because well, I see it a lot and I find it extremely disturbing. People are defining themselves by the corporate-made entertainment they consume and fighting political battles in well... fictional universes that don't actually exist. It's completely illogical and baffling. Are our lives so empty and meaningless that we feel a need to retreat from reality into fantasy worlds, and then make said fantasy worlds a political battleground? Talk about hosed up priorities.

Oh, Star Wars has a black stormtrooper in it. That's nice, who cares?

Oh, they made Thor a girl in a comic book. Spider-Man is a black kid. That's nice, who cares?

Oh, they drew Spider-Woman's rear end in a sexy unrealistic pose. That's nice, who cares?

Oh, the Ghostbusters are women. That's nice, who cares?

I also find it kind of disturbing that people are now making moral judgments on other people from what entertainment they may or may not consume. What the everliving gently caress? Maybe we should judge people by their actions, and not whether or not they're interested in seeing Ghostbusters for gently caress's sake. It's just a movie. Maybe you like a thing, and someone else doesn't. Or you don't like a thing, and someone else does. Maybe you should just live and let live.

And quite frankly, the actions of people on both sides of the culture war are pretty goddamn foul, so regardless of what side you fall on, don't pretend you have the moral high ground, because you don't. People are utterly convinced that they are "the good guys" and those other people are "the bad guys", but from what I can tell, both sides are utterly reprehensible and while they self-righteously crow about how good and moral they are, their actions show anything but.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xrBTOWKHBo

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I couldn't sit through that, summarize it for me please

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gammatron 64 posted:

I couldn't sit through that, summarize it for me please

It's the excruciatingly terrible example of the polar opposite of "That's nice, who cares?" with reference to different people enjoying different media.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

veedeeos

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's the excruciatingly terrible example of the polar opposite of "That's nice, who cares?" with reference to different people enjoying different media.

An actual conversation I had with a coworker:

Him: "Dude, did you hear that Iron Man is seriously now a 16 year old black girl?"
Me: "Oh? Okay. That's nice."
Him: "Really? No reaction at all?"
Me: "Nah. Plus, nothing that happens in comics actually matters because they always hit the reset button. Nobody stays dead forever and Tony Stark will be Iron Man again in a couple years, because that's just how comics are. I kinda stopped caring about comics a while ago because they kinda suck, dude."

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It's not hard to see why people who have so little in media made about them are excited when things in said media represent them. It's fine that you don't care, but others do. There is nothing wrong with Latinas or Asians wanting characters that are superheroes that aren't stereotypes.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

It's not hard to see why people who have so little in media made about them are excited when things in said media represent them. It's fine that you don't care, but others do. There is nothing wrong with Latinas or Asians wanting characters that are superheroes that aren't stereotypes.

No I totally understand that.

I also think it's nice that the lead characters in the new Star Wars and a girl and a black dude. It would also be nice to see more Asian people who aren't either math nerds or kung fu people. I think Donald Glover would have made a better Peter Parker than James Garfield because I think of Spider-man as a down on his luck nerd first, snarky superhero second and maybe a white guy as a distant third. These things are cool and if people are happy about them, that's great!

However, I'm not talking about people who are happy or excited. I'm talking about people who get furiously outraged at the dumbest poo poo.

I'm talking about the people who are actually mad the Ghostbusters are women. I'm talking about people who get mad when someone doesn't like the new Ghostbusters and says anyone who doesn't like it must hate it because they hate women. And the guys on redpill who got their panties in a twist when they hired some Feminist author to help with Mad Max. And the people who get really pissed when someone puts a lady with big tits in a video game.

...and I'm pretty sure almost no one was actually mad that Finn in Star Wars was black.

People just need to chill the gently caress out and stop taking their dumb movies \ video games \ comic books \ coloring books \ whatever so drat seriously. They need to get a life. Good lord. It's gotten to the point where it's become beyond stupid and I think I hate everyone equally regardless of race, sex, creed or color.

tl;dr people constantly being outraged about stupid insignificant poo poo at all times loving everywhere is really loving annoying

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

No I totally understand that.

I also think it's nice that the lead characters in the new Star Wars and a girl and a black dude. It would also be nice to see more Asian people who aren't either math nerds or kung fu people. I think Donald Glover would have made a better Peter Parker than James Garfield because I think of Spider-man as a down on his luck nerd first, snarky superhero second and maybe a white guy as a distant third. These things are cool and if people are happy about them, that's great!

However, I'm not talking about people who are happy or excited. I'm talking about people who get furiously outraged at the dumbest poo poo.

I'm talking about the people who are actually mad the Ghostbusters are women. I'm talking about people who get mad when someone doesn't like the new Ghostbusters and says anyone who doesn't like it must hate it because they hate women. And the guys on redpill who got their panties in a twist when they hired some Feminist author to help with Mad Max. And the people who get really pissed when someone puts a lady with big tits in a video game.

...and I'm pretty sure almost no one was actually mad that Finn in Star Wars was black.

People just need to chill the gently caress out and stop taking their dumb movies \ video games \ comic books \ coloring books \ whatever so drat seriously. They need to get a life. Good lord. It's gotten to the point where it's become beyond stupid and I think I hate everyone equally regardless of race, sex, creed or color.

tl;dr people constantly being outraged about stupid insignificant poo poo at all times loving everywhere is really loving annoying

It plays into things about identity and self worth and things of that nature. It's another case of the whole "white as default" phenomenon and how people really do get mad. I absolutely disagree with you that people weren't actually mad that Finn was black. I think there were people that were livid who thought that the only reason the studio did that was to meet some kind of diversity quota while they ignored the very real cases of studios not hiring minorities for racist reasons (see: Exodus Gods and Kings).

Also, its a matter of identity, it is far from stupid poo poo. Our media influences us and in many ways colors how we see the world. I think at some point, one has to get outraged if you want things to change. Or maybe outrage is the wrong word, maybe I am going for mad enough to be able to realize the importance of identity in media and be able to criticize things for the dumb things that they do.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Noooooooooo sir, there was more than enough of that I promise you.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

It plays into things about identity and self worth and things of that nature. It's another case of the whole "white as default" phenomenon and how people really do get mad. I absolutely disagree with you that people weren't actually mad that Finn was black. I think there were people that were livid who thought that the only reason the studio did that was to meet some kind of diversity quota while they ignored the very real cases of studios not hiring minorities for racist reasons (see: Exodus Gods and Kings).

Also, its a matter of identity, it is far from stupid poo poo. Our media influences us and in many ways colors how we see the world. I think at some point, one has to get outraged if you want things to change. Or maybe outrage is the wrong word, maybe I am going for mad enough to be able to realize the importance of identity in media and be able to criticize things for the dumb things that they do.

Okay, I'll take your word for it that people were actually mad about Finn. I remember hearing it was just a couple of trolls from 4chan pulling a prank with a twitter hashtag. It's purely anecdotal, but I never actually saw anyone who was mad that Finn was black. Only people who were mad that people were mad.

I used to get outraged on the Internet and do hashtag slacktivism but I think eventually I just ran out of anger and now I'm just kinda cynical, jaded and dead inside. Or maybe I just grew up, I dunno. I just look at all the rage, hatred and batshit insanity I see spewed over the Internet and kinda look upon it in morbid fascination and horror. Sometimes it seems like the whole world has gone mad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Dismissing racist poo poo as trolling is basically saying "racism doesn't exist" which is damaging in so many ways. Only someone so deep in white privilege could miss that when someone posts some racist hashtag as a joke and tons of people who honestly believe that pick it up and run with it, it's still loving racist as poo poo.

I love the :tinfoil: arguments about how Ghostbusters only got decent reviews because people were afraid of Femnazi's coming to their houses and taking away their copies of the original. People can't accept that the movie turned out not to be a complete shitshow with some very positive things about it, even though the consensus says that the 3rd act falls apart.

If you "Grew up" and don't think bigotry is a big problem, then gently caress you so hard.

Mike says "the 5200 trackball was awesome" is hilarious considering the 5200 video James can't even get the thing to register any movement.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think I still to this day have yet to play an Atari. I have an intellivision somewhere around here, but haven't played Atari. It's crazy how much they love that stuff.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I still can't believe people disliked Finn, he was the best character in that whole movie.

I gave more of a poo poo about him than anyone else.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

I think I still to this day have yet to play an Atari. I have an intellivision somewhere around here, but haven't played Atari. It's crazy how much they love that stuff.

Atari was the poo poo when I was a kid, then the NES blew it away.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I'm mildly annoyed by the amount of Atari they've been playing lately, as the games are so simple so there's a lot less to talk about. When I was a kid, my oldest cousin had a 2400 and we'd play it when visiting his place, but then the NES came out and holy poo poo it looked like a pile of crap. Why would you play Combat or Space Invaders when you could play SMB or Castlevania?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

People in this thread have ripped on it for being boring but I say it's worth an evening with an emulator. Spider-Man is actually fun, Jungle Hunt and Pitfall hold up well, and Berzerk is my favorite pre-nes era arcade port.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

twistedmentat posted:

Dismissing racist poo poo as trolling is basically saying "racism doesn't exist" which is damaging in so many ways.
in my experience, bigotry has always been perpetrated by the wealthy and powerful. for all the criticism that gets leveled at rednecks and other economically-disadvantaged white people over being "racists," we've always gotten along extremely well in practice. it's the moneyed who treat me like trash for being a darkie, and they turn around and complain about racists the loudest

PSXer
Aug 2, 2006

The most exciting use of 1s and 0s next to internet porn

EvilTaytoMan posted:

"He changed out the potentiometer, which is essentially the pot inside"

Thanks for the explanation Mike. I'm sure the people who don't know what a potentiometer is do at least know what a pot is. Especially considering that "pot" is short for "potentiometer"
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Dismissing racist poo poo as trolling is basically saying "racism doesn't exist" which is damaging in so many ways.

twistedmentat posted:

If you "Grew up" and don't think bigotry is a big problem, then gently caress you so hard.

Um... no, I didn't say that at all. Way to twist my words. Bigotry absolutely still exists and is an enormous problem. One of, if not the very the biggest. You saw I had some criticisms towards the current PC movement and automatically assumed that I said "racism doesn't exist \ isn't a problem" and that I should "go gently caress myself."

If you wonder why people react poorly to certain trends in the current progressive movement, this is why. People don't typically appreciate being falsely accused and having words put into their mouths. And then being told they're human garbage, to go gently caress themselves, and that it "isn't their duty to educate them". That's not how you make allies. A lot of people seem to have forgotten how to have a discussion and not just fling poop at each other.

Are you going to say that I'm some alt-right Libertarian and that I'm voting for Trump next? Because I'm not, you know.

You know, I'm not going to tell you to go gently caress yourself and die. It's a popular strategy, but it's one that doesn't seem to be working. I just want you to look inside and think about this for a while.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 21, 2016

• Locked thread