Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I remember my buddy having that X-Men game on his Genesis and never getting the "RESET" part. Years and years later I phone him up in college and I tell him about it and what to do and all I heard was a loud cry and whimpering.

That X-MEN NES game was pure garbage, I distinctly remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Why exactly did you have to press reset in the middle of a game? Was it a glitch?

There wasn't enough swearing in his latest video for my tastes. I love when he goes insane due to how unfair and impossible a game is. It reminds me of myself as a kid playing some of those frustrating games.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 6, 2009

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Why exactly did you have to press reset in the middle of a game? Was it a glitch?

No. It actually made sense in the context of the stage because you were in Mojo's TV-like world, and the only way to escape was to "reset" the system. It wasn't a bug, and I think they even hinted that you were supposed to reset the game via text from an NPC or something.

EDIT: I still think AVGN needs to review Dragon Power. I'm still pissed at my cousin for trading my copy of Excitebike for that game without asking me first. Seriously, gently caress that game in the rear end.

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 6, 2009

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!

DocBrown posted:

His irrational hatred of Wolverines claws was pretty funny. That's stuff your normal gamer wouldn't give a poo poo about.

The weird thing is that he misses that in the Genesis version, using up Wolverine's mutant power (of having his claws extended) causes him to go berserker and claw himself. So it's halfway between mutant power and using his own life. That, and you'd always want to be Nightcrawler anyway.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

DocBrown posted:

Here's another AVGN rip off only i'm pretty sure he's either mentally imbalanced or just foreign. Watch the first 4 minutes it gets very weird. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDThky6nfLY&feature=channel_page

Oh gosh, this guy's videos are absolutely embarrassing. I legitimately can't tell whether he's speaking English or Finnish most of the time, and he is absolutely horrible at all the games he "reviews". It looks like at least a third of his videos were stolen and had the audio replaced with his voice, then another third is just the most strangely random poo poo [un]imaginable (a clip of him touching a TV screen with an anime girl on it, a clip of a picture of 2 tennis balls with his labored breathing going on in the background noise, etc.), and finally we have these "Angry Video Game Nerd" videos. This is the epitome of dadaism.

Eyeball88
Dec 14, 2003

:3

MrBims posted:

Oh gosh, this guy's videos are absolutely embarrassing. I legitimately can't tell whether he's speaking English or Finnish most of the time, and he is absolutely horrible at all the games he "reviews". It looks like at least a third of his videos were stolen and had the audio replaced with his voice, then another third is just the most strangely random poo poo [un]imaginable (a clip of him touching a TV screen with an anime girl on it, a clip of a picture of 2 tennis balls with his labored breathing going on in the background noise, etc.), and finally we have these "Angry Video Game Nerd" videos. This is the epitome of dadaism.

Be that as it may, his video for the original NES Metroid is absolutely hilarious to listen to.

hopendoor.

hopendoor.

I was disappoint-hopendoor-ed that this wasn't the real AVGN, buthopendoor by the end of it I was saying hopendoor as much as possible and laughing my rear end off. hopendoor.

Graviolies
Mar 23, 2004

I'd say the worst thing about AVGN is the lazy and half-assed trolling of threads about him.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I liked his episode on the Virtual Boy, I'd never even heard of it until I saw that. Remember when virtual reality was the future? Yeah, still waiting for that...

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

DocBrown posted:

Here's another AVGN rip off only i'm pretty sure he's either mentally imbalanced or just foreign. Watch the first 4 minutes it gets very weird. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDThky6nfLY&feature=channel_page

This is the best Let's Play I've ever seen.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I like http://ashens.com/ He does pretty calm reviews of mostly lovely ripoff Chinese import games which ripoff other products, the type of stuff grandmas disappoint their grandchildren with on the holidays. I love how his English accent and his sound of genuine disappointment at the terrible stuff he reviews, along with his dry British sarcasm make the perfect combination. It's super low budget and most of his stuff comes in at under 5 minutes. He basically stands a handicam in front of his sofa, and puts whatever he is reviewing on the sofa as he narrates from off screen.

I nearly pissed myself when he review awful electronic christmas decorations this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfXEnjI4vTk

Pop Station Advance SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqhi83-ntG4

Barcode Battler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVuT19K0NNI

Waudde
Dec 21, 2008
I've enjoyed the AVGN for a while, and I've been enjoying Spoony ever since I found his Phantasmagoria videos on Youtube. The Bible games video by AVGN still makes me laugh. I agree that some of his stuff just isn't very good/funny though.

The Happy video game nerd seems pretty good, thanks for the link. His production values don't seem to be as high, but it's a nice change from a lot of the ranting styles that are out there now.

That being said, I have a soft spot in my heart for people who punish themselves for my amusement. :3:

Except for Irate Gamer, who is absolutely terrible and should just stop now.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Here's a beautiful song I made dedicated to the Angry Video Game Nerd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIWFVsSIhpI

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

bleep posted:

Here's a beautiful song I made dedicated to the Angry Video Game Nerd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIWFVsSIhpI

Ok, that's it, thread over. That cannot be beaten, my god that is amazing.

e: he looks relatively normal, until he speaks anyway.

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 6, 2009

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

Love the Nerd! My favourite episode is the one where he reviews old The Simpsons games. "Ay Caramba!", or as the Nerd would say..."F*ckballs"!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Professional Lamer posted:

In my opinion, he reinforces a frankly unhealthy and demeaning stereotype of the modern gamer. It's vaguely reminiscent of those old minstrel shows where actors would put on blackface and fill the then-popular stereotype of black people as stupid/lazy/clumsy/etc.
I just came into the thread and saw this. Hey Professional Lamer, don't compare gamer stereotypes to blackface minstrelsy. Don't do it. Next time you feel like doing it, instead, don't do it.

Graviolies
Mar 23, 2004

XK posted:

I like http://ashens.com/ He does pretty calm reviews of mostly lovely ripoff Chinese import games which ripoff other products, the type of stuff grandmas disappoint their grandchildren with on the holidays. I love how his English accent and his sound of genuine disappointment at the terrible stuff he reviews, along with his dry British sarcasm make the perfect combination. It's super low budget and most of his stuff comes in at under 5 minutes. He basically stands a handicam in front of his sofa, and puts whatever he is reviewing on the sofa as he narrates from off screen.

I nearly pissed myself when he review awful electronic christmas decorations this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfXEnjI4vTk

Goddamn these are great! Thanks for these.

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!

.TakaM posted:

I never really watch his videos but I hear good things about Spoony One every so often.

Then there's.. the Irate Gamer
He's an unfunny retard who basically just copies the worst aspects of the AVGN, he's like the Tim Buckley of this poo poo, he even has the huge dumbass fanbase that is bizarrely loyal.

Spoony is one of my other 'guilty pleasures' when it comes to videogame reviews. His videos used to have huge pacing issues though (30-minute Sega CD reviews and stuff like that) but at least he doesn't resort to cheap gimmicks most of the time. Well, besides his Dr Insano persona, which isn't funny at all. He also has this strange thing with dolls..

But overall I enjoy his reviews, the X-Files and Power Rangers in particular. He hates Final Fantasy 8 with a passion so you can't go wrong with that really. I believe Yahtzee picked him as his favorite gamereviewer, though that isn't saying much when you have guys like the Nostalgia Critic around.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I think that's the same bloke that did a review of the original Popstation (if there is such a thing) that was posted all over gaming websites. He is pretty funny. :)

e: oops, meant to quote Graviolies' post.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009
He's probably a goon...in which case, hi nerd!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anybody can review old games. If you think about it, who actually needs a review of Super Mario Bros 3 or Sonic the Hedgehog? No one. The more effort people put into it, the sadder it is.

"Hey guys, I'm going to make a review video for a game everyone knows about and has played to death, as if it's something new!"

What I like about AVGN, and it's been said before, is how in-depth he can get, and how he showcases just how loving horrible some titles were. And then he gets into stuff like the Odyssey, which I've heard about, but never actually saw, so that video is appreciated.

Also, how many people here ever got to play a Virtual Boy? I played a bit of Tennis once, that was it. I loved that episode, if only for the access it gave all of us into the history of videogames.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Holy Cheese posted:

Ok, that's it, thread over. That cannot be beaten, my god that is amazing.

That was actually pretty goddamn retarded.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

XK posted:

Oh nice, didn't realize he had an actual site. I remember seeing the Barcode Battler and Pop Station SP, as well as a few others and finding them hilarious in the aspect he's willingly trying these things out for our entertainment.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

For those interested, Spoony just put mission 9 of his SWAT 4 LP up on his site.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I really don't know about this guy. Every video starts out with the same "HAHAHA poo poo FUCKBALLS DONKEY DIARRHEA" and then goes into an informative review of a bad game, explaining it's downfalls, and then goes back into the same "poo poo MONKEY TURDS FUCKTITTIES ARRRRGH" and then the guy beats up/takes a dump on said game.

Granted, every once in a while he will have a funny segment, like landing the plane in top gun with the power glove, or commenting on super noah's ark 3D. It's nothing surprising, if you have a series running long enough you're bound to have a funny moment somewhere. Aside from that, everything else seems to be playing on his gimmick of rage and poo poo. He says that he adds in the side-kicks to add some variety to the picture, but has he ever really considered just changing his humor from "poo poo gently caress AAAAAGH" to something... better?

That said, he's a lot better than a bunch of the other critics out there and could be entertaining on a boring day.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Arrrthritis posted:

Granted, every once in a while he will have a funny segment, like landing the plane in top gun with the power glove, or commenting on super noah's ark 3D. It's nothing surprising, if you have a series running long enough you're bound to have a funny moment somewhere. Aside from that, everything else seems to be playing on his gimmick of rage and poo poo. He says that he adds in the side-kicks to add some variety to the picture, but has he ever really considered just changing his humor from "poo poo gently caress AAAAAGH" to something... better?

I think the big issue is (and it seems like part of what makes it really lovely now) that he's become a lot more forced with it. Like, at points it seems like he doesn't enjoy doing the super profane shtick any more, but is doing it because that's what the dirtrags over in the Screwattack community keep wanting. I'm not a fan of his overall skill in film (though the Rocky Jumped a Park Bench documentary was pretty cool), but he seems like a chill guy who just decided to do some one-off tirade poo poo for fun, and now he's stuck continuing it because it's the only thing he's got really going currently that people are eating up.

1-600-DOCTORB
Nov 29, 2004

Side effects may include gopherism, multi-brow, and tracheal meerkat colonies
Pillbug

Dissolusion posted:

For those interested, Spoony just put mission 9 of his SWAT 4 LP up on his site.

Nice, I was afraid he had given up on SWAT since he waited so long after number 7.

I think I like Spoony the best of all. I even enjoyed the "Star Trek: Klingon" video, which was just him listening to a Klingon language primer CD for half an hour. :v:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

John Ford Coley posted:

Holy poo poo, that was a really good documentary. Makes me want to watch the Rocky series again.

Well, except for 5.

Yep, like I said, he's really on form with his movie stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cinemassacre?blend=1&ob=4

That's his Cinemassacre YouTube channel, ie. the name under which he does all his horror movie stuff. Stuff that's definitely worth checking out includes his Godzillathon (he reviews EVERY Godzilla movie ever made) and his Monster Madness series, where he profiled a memorable horror movie for every day of October.

I'm glad to see Spoony get so much attention. He's really good at what he does even if it's completely different from what James Rolfe does under his various pseudonyms.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think my favorite thing he does is explain how illogical some of the poo poo that the developers put in the game. A good example of this is his Dragon's lair review for the NES. They give you a health bar, and you still die in one hit from most things anyways. Attempting to actually hit the dragon causes him to simply duck to where he is unhittable. And the main one being that if you run into a loving door, you instantly die.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Der Shovel posted:

Stuff that's definitely worth checking out includes his Godzillathon (he reviews EVERY Godzilla movie ever made)

I have to second this. I used to watch those movies as a kid and his reviews were nostalgia gold. The best part was how I remembered there being this really, really awful movie about Godzilla's son. The Nerd gets to reviewing Son of Godzilla, and it isn't exactly scathing and I'm confused. Was that movie way better than I remembered it being?

Then he reviews Godzilla's Revenge, and two seconds in I realize that THIS is the movie I was thinking of. And he goes to town on it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I was able to land on the carrier AND refuel. I don't know what his problem is.

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

third time's the HRAAAAAAAAAAAAALF

Dissolusion posted:

Holy poo poo I can't wait to watch that when I get home. THAT is the worst mission in the game.

DocBrown
Apr 11, 2007

by Ozma
Hey Bimmy the Kid are you the nerd by any chance? I ask cause you are a new register, this may be your first post/thread and it's about him, plus your name is a direct reference to his Double Dragon 3 video. Spill the beans.

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

DocBrown posted:

Hey Bimmy the Kid are you the nerd by any chance? I ask cause you are a new register, this may be your first post/thread and it's about him, plus your name is a direct reference to his Double Dragon 3 video. Spill the beans.

No way it could just be a fan of AVGN who thought that BIMMY was hilarious (as I did). I doubt AVGN even know what SA is, honestly.

Edit:

Then again...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3130846&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post360321925

HMMMMM!!!

Khad fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 6, 2009

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!

Kaddish posted:

I was able to land on the carrier AND refuel. I don't know what his problem is.

I never had a problem with refueling, but landing was pretty drat hard.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

DocBrown posted:

Uh oh, you've discovered something sinister.

We're all advertisement plants.

We're all here to sell you on all of our fabulous goods and services.

ONE OF US.

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

SixOhSix posted:

Uh oh, you've discovered something sinister.

We're all advertisement plants.

We're all here to sell you on all of our fabulous goods and services.

ONE OF US.

Maybe DocBrown is really AVGN and he is throwing us off his trail!!

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Khad posted:

Maybe DocBrown is really AVGN and he is throwing us off his trail!!

Then wait, maybe I'm the one being advertised to. Or is it you??

WHOSE SIDE ARE WE ON??!?

Merkmerk
Aug 14, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really think his videos are made for those with a combination of both:

a) a sense of humor

b) played these games when they were kids and enjoy the nostalgic trip of "yeah that WAS loving bullshit"

I've been a fan of his ever since the first video popped up way back when he was still the "Angry Nintendo Nerd".

Also, LJN games were loving terrible - I remember figuring this out when I was about 10-11 after Spiderman + X-men : Arcade's Revenge

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
I loved the video about Dick Tracy. I hated that game. I would sit there and try to contemplate how the gently caress you were supposed to get anywhere. I had a strategy guide that said exactly what to do, but it was loving impossible getting very far with the bullshit driving part. AVGN summed that game up perfectly.

He should get his own daytime court show where the developers of these horrible games are put on trial, and he can sentence them to having to play their own lovely game without rest until they either collapse or beat it. Now that's what I'd call justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Krenzo posted:

He should get his own daytime court show where the developers of these horrible games are put on trial, and he can sentence them to having to play their own lovely game without rest until they either collapse or beat it. Now that's what I'd call justice.

It would be so awesome if he could track down one of these developers and make him be player 2 while he did the review.

• Locked thread