Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

More Action! More Excitement! More Adventure!

StickySweater posted:

In recent years, I've been of the opinion that although, I certainly liked SNES more when I was young, NES has more appeal to me now. It just has more quality games. I could spew off about 2 dozen good NES games. Less than half that for SNES.

Whoa whoa wait, what? Are you seriously saying there's only a dozen good games on SNES? Because I would have to rather vigorously contest that statement. Maybe a dozen all-time classics, but I would say the number of good SNES games is closer to 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Perhaps I should have increased both of those numbers. I still maintain that the NES had better games on the whole though. Having a ridiculously large ROM collection definitely helps put things in perspective.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Harlequinade posted:

James just posted another "You know what's bullshit?"- video on youtube. I'm beginning to love these as well.

Angry random-topic nerd :haw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsdzaEVeFEE

What possible explanation is there for the order of films listed on that James Bond collection?

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

ChuckDHead posted:

What possible explanation is there for the order of films listed on that James Bond collection?

Trying to make sure that there's at least one super-classic in each boxset, one medium classic, and spreading the largely forgotten rabble as thin as possible. Pure marketing.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Ytadel posted:

Trying to make sure that there's at least one super-classic in each boxset, one medium classic, and spreading the largely forgotten rabble as thin as possible. Pure marketing.

Ah, it didn't occur to me that each box inside the larger box was originally sold separately. You'd have thought for that for the full collection, they'd just order them in a non-insane way.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.
He looks (and acts) like the lovechild of Philip "GoodCow" Macaroni and Snazin Smith. Those two have a civil partnership, too bad they can't impregnate one another.

JuSt
A
MaCaRoNi
SaLaD
LoViN'
MaN

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

ChuckDHead posted:

They were each released individually originally, then packaged together as a complete Bond boxed set.

There is a new "You Know What's Bullshit?" up today about similar titles for sequels, which reminds me a lot of one of my favorite non-review-related AVGN videos, The Nerd Is Chronologically Confused About Video Game and Movie Sequels. (Apparently, "You Know What's Bullshit?" comes from one of James's other alter-egos, "Bullshit Man.")

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
The movie reviews are pretty cool, he balances humor and being informative well. The main thing I get from his game reviews is that he wants me to poo poo on his face, smear poo poo on his body, feed him poo poo, turn him into poo poo, make him a girlfriend made out of poo poo, poo poo on his games, poo poo on his furniture, make a game about making GBS threads where he plays as a piece of turd in a poo poo world making GBS threads everywhere, make him drink poo poo beer, sing songs about making GBS threads and make videos with lovely special effects in them. The dude likes poo poo a lot I guess. Jesus. I wish I was as enthusiastic about anything as he is about poo poo related activities.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
For some reason for a while I thought Angry Video Game/Nintendo Nerd was Fragmaster. I have no idea why I thought this.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
He is great when he is simple, but then he tries to have a format similar to Alton Brown's "Good Eats" and that dosen't suit him well.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ytadel posted:

Yeah, but Volume 3 by far has the best ratio of good movies to crap. The only movie I can say of questionable quality in it is Live and Let Die.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I've liked all the bond films :ohdear:

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Slumpy posted:

I've liked all the bond films :ohdear:
Even Die Another Day?

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Ice Blue posted:

Even Die Another Day?

I get passed the horrible by thinking "IT'S JAMES BOND"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Nostalgia Critic's new review is up today: Gargoyles!

Link

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ice Blue posted:

For some reason for a while I thought Angry Video Game/Nintendo Nerd was Fragmaster. I have no idea why I thought this.

Probably because of Fragmaster's epic F-Zero GX rant.

BUT LOOK OUT

HERE COMES MEGACOCK

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Timby posted:

Probably because of Fragmaster's epic F-Zero GX rant.

BUT LOOK OUT

HERE COMES MEGACOCK

I thought that was nipple bandit?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen review. It isn't the Nerd, but it's a 19 minute audio review with one of the production assistants (who was also a camera operator on some nerd videos).

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Amnesty Intl. posted:

It's arguably the most technically impressive game for the system, that still has good gameplay that is.

EDIT: Are you talking about the awesome Arcade Game port, or the piece of poo poo regular T2: Judgement Day?

The LJN game.

It did have a cool part where you were on the harley shooting up the truck bit by bit.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
A new Angry Nerd: Mario Is Missing! This is the NES version, so there's no Weegee around here, unfortunately (or fortunately?). But it does have a kidnapped King Kong who is somehow able to fit into a tiny money bag.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

mobo85 posted:

A new Angry Nerd: Mario Is Missing! This is the NES version, so there's no Weegee around here, unfortunately (or fortunately?). But it does have a kidnapped King Kong who is somehow able to fit into a tiny money bag.

I thought it was a good review. He's at his best when he's informative and funny and not talking about poo poo every two seconds. I like his Nintendo Power video and his CD-i review was great.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
I like the informative ones, but I also like the stupid poo poo. He needs to find a better balance.
But at least he covered all 4 games.

I remember playing Mario's Time Machine on the SNES and just loving brute forcing my way through all of it, hoping to pass the few hours at my cousin's house hoping to finish it. (Yes, we had ACTUALLY got bored with Turtles in Time, his only other game, hilarious that it got mentioned)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I see he's still teasing us with Sega Saturn and Neo-Geo. I've wanted to see a Neo-Geo review ever since he had that clip of him weighing that King of the Monsters 2 cart.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I always thought he had some "lost" reviews, because he used to have a clip of Godzilla for the NES, but I never saw the video. I'm still waiting for him to do that one.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

I always thought he had some "lost" reviews, because he used to have a clip of Godzilla for the NES, but I never saw the video. I'm still waiting for him to do that one.

He's said before that he just videotapes random footage of games that he hasn't reviewed just to put in his intro montages.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really enjoy his reviews of older consoles. While I used to somewhat enjoy the over the top swearing, it's grown old (along with poo poo everywhere), but when he's actually discussing and showing off things, with the occasional little skit inbetween, is when I think he's hitting his stride.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

mobo85 posted:

His rant about King Kong is brilliant. He's usually great when he goes on a rant about the lack of sense in a game, but that whole thing is so outright absurd and he does it full-on justice.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!

Mug posted:

He's said before that he just videotapes random footage of games that he hasn't reviewed just to put in his intro montages.

And that game always seemed kind of teasingly lovely, too. I mean, I'm sure the game wasn't absolutely terrible, but there wasn't much to it, yet it was really the only giant monster game other than Rampage, and that game is even more repetitive.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I like to imagine that when AVGN dies, they turn his basement into a museum, complete with roped-off sections and tickets.

That being said though, can anyone imagine him moving onto next gen consoles such as the xbox1, gamecube, ps2 in the future? The PS2 is nearing what, 10 years now?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

I like to imagine that when AVGN dies, they turn his basement into a museum, complete with roped-off sections and tickets.

That being said though, can anyone imagine him moving onto next gen consoles such as the xbox1, gamecube, ps2 in the future? The PS2 is nearing what, 10 years now?

He's done one a single PSX game, so I guess he's willing to slowly move along as time passes. Maybe.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat
I wonder when the 3rd DVD will be out. I'm planning to buy all 3 at once. His videos have given me great entertainment, and I don't mind in the slightest giving him monetary support so he can continue on.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Ringo Star Get posted:

Not for a while, at least. He seems to do old school games as most of them are forgotten by now, and are less controversial as chances are, few people care about games he reviews. The most controversial reviews he's ever done were Metal Gear, Castlevania 2 and Ninja Turtles.

That, and there are plenty of video reviews for PS2\Xbox\GCN era games already.

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM
I used to give this guy a lot of poo poo and I made fun of him mercilessly when people were posting his videos for the first time and he wasn't even a blip on the radar. You know what, though? I'd rather watch his videos than any of the other stupid, dim-witted, I-think-I'm-hilarious NES reviewers on Youtube and beyond. He's clearly intelligent, his videos are well made, he speaks clearly, and he doesn't automatically go for the easy targets (like games everyone has heard of.)

That said, the Mario 3 video was the worst piece of poo poo he ever did and I hope he feels ashamed. I know I felt embarrassed just watching it. Don't do that again.

BY THE WAY I AM SELLING 400 NES GAMES

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

FINALmasa posted:

And that game always seemed kind of teasingly lovely, too. I mean, I'm sure the game wasn't absolutely terrible, but there wasn't much to it, yet it was really the only giant monster game other than Rampage, and that game is even more repetitive.

I loved the game :( I used to play it with an Advantage because my fingers would get too tired. Mothra rocked.

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

Man, I remember looking at the back of the Mario is Missing! SNES game box in Blockbuster as a little kid, getting so excited that it looked like Super Mario World, and having my mom rent it, expecting Super Mario World 2. What a kick in the nuts it was to actually play it. I'm glad he reviewed that "game," because few he's ever done deserve it more.

Nasty Kerm
Oct 28, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

LorneReams posted:

He is great when he is simple, but then he tries to have a format similar to Alton Brown's "Good Eats" and that dosen't suit him well.

I think the same. He can easily go from great to poo poo so, its just sad when he tries to take things over the top.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
So when I sit outside and smoke, I like watching these types of videos on my iPhone.

I have basically gone through every AVGN, Spoonyone (Love this guy), and even the Irate Gamer. Are there any other ones worthy of my smoke break?

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

So when I sit outside and smoke, I like watching these types of videos on my iPhone.

I have basically gone through every AVGN, Spoonyone (Love this guy), and even the Irate Gamer. Are there any other ones worthy of my smoke break?

I like Pat The NES Punk. His humor style is very similar, and he covers some games that the others haven't.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Board James and Motherfucker Mike get caught up in the Crossfire. I love how childish they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I really enjoy his reviews of older consoles. While I used to somewhat enjoy the over the top swearing, it's grown old (along with poo poo everywhere), but when he's actually discussing and showing off things, with the occasional little skit inbetween, is when I think he's hitting his stride.

I think the main problem with him is his fans. You can see what the fans what from him with that video review that he let the fans narrate. His fans want all the poo poo humor and the over the top swearing.

• Locked thread