Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morby
Sep 6, 2007

mobo85 posted:

A new Angry Nerd: Mario Is Missing! This is the NES version, so there's no Weegee around here, unfortunately (or fortunately?). But it does have a kidnapped King Kong who is somehow able to fit into a tiny money bag.

I thought it was a good review. He's at his best when he's informative and funny and not talking about poo poo every two seconds. I like his Nintendo Power video and his CD-i review was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I really enjoy his reviews of older consoles. While I used to somewhat enjoy the over the top swearing, it's grown old (along with poo poo everywhere), but when he's actually discussing and showing off things, with the occasional little skit inbetween, is when I think he's hitting his stride.

I think the main problem with him is his fans. You can see what the fans what from him with that video review that he let the fans narrate. His fans want all the poo poo humor and the over the top swearing.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Haha, some (old) drama:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQHaerJ6-0Y&feature=related

I seem to remember the Angry Video Game Nerd posting a video about the Irate Gamer basically saying "The Game Nerd is just a character. It's all satire. I don't care about the Irate Gamer. He's a nice guy and I enjoy his videos. Stop this stupid war", but I can't find it.

wise old hitachi posted:

This is the problem with every single reviewer, filmmaker, entertaining person and producer of anything anywhere. But yeah the poo poo humour is just poo poo and it's quite odd that he has bunches of obsessive fans who love him because he says poo poo a lot.

I guess it proves that there are lots of gamers who like poo poo jokes? :haw:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

mobo85 posted:

I think most of his fans don't even realize the Nerd is a fictional character. I remember one YouTube comment that said James Rolfe was an Angry Nerd ripoff- which I don't know is a step up or down from the comments that AVGN is a ripoff of Seanbaby just because the two of them reviewed some of the same games. By that logic, every reviewer in the world would be ripping off someone else just because they used the same source material.

Another funny thing about his fans are the people who sent (and still send) three and four page defenses of Simon's Quest and other games he's reviewed. As far as the Irate Gamer goes, the only video of his I really liked was his review about Super Mario Bros 2. His delivery is pretty deadpan and he's not as funny as the AVGN.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I actually think that in the last few releases he's toned down the poo poo humor. It's still there, of course, but there's definitely a whole lot less of it. He hasn't brought back Nerdy Turd or Shitpickle, for example, and that's always an improvement.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think Mario All Stars should've had a mode like that. Wanna play SMB3? Hope you're good enough to beat 1 and 2 (lost levels not required).

I disagree mostly because I liked the idea of having agency. I bought the game, I should be able to play it in any order I want to in the case of Super Mario All-Stars. If I don't feel like playing SMB 1 or SMB 2, I don't. If I feel like playing a bit of one, two, and three, I pick up where my savepoints left off.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Well, he definitely went back to the poo poo humor in this new review. Also the musicians that work with him (Kyle Justin and I'm assuming his band) always do really great arrangements (their version of John Williams' theme for Superman is great). They really did a great job with the music here in this video.

Morby fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 6, 2009

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

The Machine posted:

I definitely enjoyed that Super Pitfall review. He could've added some sort of Pitfall related skit, but he kept it to the bare bones of why it's such a lovely game.

Good show.

I wish more of his reviews were like this. He really doesn't need the skits and the poo poo humor, though it is cool that he's willing to experiment.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Neito posted:

Have you shown him the Odyssey video yet? If so, what was his reaction?

I'd like to know this, too! :)

I don't particularly care for his gimmicks because, for some reason, most of them are poo poo related. Does he ever explain why that is? Mike Matei has his moments. I enjoyed him as the Cowardly Lion and Kyle Justin is pretty cool, too, in the Battle Toad episode and he nearly redeemed the latest Bugs Bunny review. I really think the Nerd should just stick with straight up reviewing the games/systems.

Also, I want to see his Neo Geo and ROB review. He keeps hinting at a Neo Geo review being on the way, but it hasn't happened yet.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Wow, he's even obsessed with poo poo in real life, I'm honestly surprised.

Actually they both are. :psyduck: I really can't figure out why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Great review, only part I really disliked was the beginning where he talks about the odd names for zelda enemies. Naming a few would have been ok but he practically goes through the whole manual to demonstrate his point.

Yeah, I actually liked this one. It wasn't that Zelda II was terrible, it was just difficult, and I liked that he pointed that out. Basically anything he does with the Zelda series is fine with me except the Zelda fart theme.

• Locked thread