Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

mattfl posted:

After having a house built by DR Horton and all the problems that came with it because DR Horton uses the cheapest labor/cheapest building materials and churns out houses as fast as they can, I'll never consider a DR Horton house again.

The biggest issue I had with them.

In a brand new hundred+ house development they used the wrong type of exterior paint on EVERY SINGLE HOUSE and as soon as we had a weather cycle of hot -> cold the paint more or less failed and after the first big rain storm almost every house in the subdivision had water intrusion. DR Horton had to repaint everyone's and fix any water intrusion issues. They failed to use paint that expanded/contracted in the weather which caused nothing but issues.

In my house alone they had to replace 750sq ft of carpet and multiple walls of drywall and everything associated with replacing said drywall.

yikes. but that was all under warranty? or did you all sue?

I made a mistake, also: it's Lennar, not DR Horton. The developments are pretty close regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

youd for i posted:

Edit: here's a picture of the water on the bathroom floor. Sorry hard to see due to white tile. I have videos of it that illustrate it better.

https://imgur.com/a/tzGUn28

Nobody can tell you what that's going to take to fix. Not here, not a pro. There's too much drywall in the way.

But notice the dark/mold pattern in the grout: it leaks and pools in that exact spot regularly. This is not new.

Also, bottom left of your picture, just above the tile baseboard: that's water damage.

As with all issues like this: it could be mitigated (notice I didn't say fixed) with very simple downspout relocation. That's the dream scenario. You should not count on it. It may end up with a full perimeter excavation/drain tile/sump pits and regrading. You got an extra $40k?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Motronic posted:

But notice the dark/mold pattern in the grout: it leaks and pools in that exact spot regularly. This is not new.

:eyepop:

I usually think I have an eye for details, but godDAMN you're a fuckin hawk!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Made an offer :ohdear:
not going to win because there are a bunch of other offers on the house that waived most contingencies. this market sucks

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I don't know about you all but I'm really excited about the next round of hoping my offer is attractive without having to bid 50% over ask.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

The lovely green house just sold so I don't know what the gently caress anymore.

Gleeful yet horrified. And worried that I'll never be able to afford something that isn't falling apart and lovely.

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?
I have another entry for the game of "what's wrong with this house" - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/453-Route-385-Catskill-NY-12414/30491440_zpid/

Gonna see it tomorrow. It checks a lot of our boxes (small house, large-ish wooded lot, well within budget), but that lovely baseboard heat would need to go, and it's old enough to have questionable wiring and plumbing. It does seem to have been updated recently, but the nice clean look of the pictures only makes me more suspicious.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's a vacation cabin flip. 4 years. Cheap appliances. No clear pics of the upper deck, but judging by the exterior photos isn't not great. No real work done on the outside of the house - probably because those are the original 1920s asbestos tiles at the top of the dormers. Well, it looks like a new roof, but I'd want to know i that was just slapped over the old one.

I also know that area well and......yeah, you don't want to use any of the contractors I've met or seen work from in that area.

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?

Motronic posted:

I also know that area well and......yeah, you don't want to use any of the contractors I've met or seen work from in that area.

Well, that's depressing cause I'll likely need one in that area eventually for some house or another. I have definitely seen some real lovely work while looking at houses up here.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

How much do you want to bet it's about as insulated as a cardboard box? And it's Catskill, winters are going to be cold.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Just emptied two bank accounts to the title company, closing is happening 8 days late tomorrow. My lender credited me an extra $710 for the unexpected appraisal and then hit me with the fact that if we didn't close tomorrow but instead on the 10th as was planned we would begin to owe $400/ day on the rate lock.

The appraisal on the house we're selling happened today and we don't have the results yet but I'm expecting it to be 5-10k low. Crossing my fingers.

ETA: we are also leaving a bottle of wine and a thank you card for the sellers when we do our final walk through since they are leasing back for the next 3 weeks. We're hoping this will encourage them to keep taking good care of the house. Naive I know.

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 15, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

wolfs posted:

yikes. but that was all under warranty? or did you all sue?

I made a mistake, also: it's Lennar, not DR Horton. The developments are pretty close regardless.

It was within the first 6 months of the houses being built, so all covered under warranty thankfully.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I slapped some mandatory home insurance on my place a few days before I bought it. Right now the coverage looks like:

code:

Dwelling coverage:
$657,000

Home Protector:
Included

Personal belongings:
$328,500

Personal liability:
$500,000

Medical payments:
$5,000

I forget, is there a reason I actually need that much "Personal Belongings" coverage? I only have like $5k of personal belongings to my name. I feel like the insurance agent might have mentioned a reason why the bank required it but maybe they were bullshitting to upsell me?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

code:
Personal belongings:
$328,500

Personal liability:
$500,000
I forget, is there a reason I actually need that much "Personal Belongings" coverage? I only have like $5k of personal belongings to my name. I feel like the insurance agent might have mentioned a reason why the bank required it but maybe they were bullshitting to upsell me?

You seriously only have $5000 in clothes, dishes, tables, chairs, soap, toothbrush, refrigerator, washer, dryer, computer, TV, etc? Anything that isn't literally bolted to the wall/floor/ceiling is covered there. While I agree it seems like a lot of coverage, you likely have more than you realize.

Your liability is too low. I would consider an umbrella policy. Don't you have a bunch of houses owned personally - not via a shell corp? If so, I would be carrying at least a million in umbrella coverage, if not 2 or 3. Reduce your liabilities to the minimum required by your umbrella and add or up the umbrella.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

You seriously only have $5000 in clothes, dishes, tables, chairs, soap, toothbrush, refrigerator, washer, dryer, computer, TV, etc? Anything that isn't literally bolted to the wall/floor/ceiling is covered there. While I agree it seems like a lot of coverage, you likely have more than you realize.

Your liability is too low. I would consider an umbrella policy. Don't you have a bunch of houses owned personally - not via a shell corp? If so, I would be carrying at least a million in umbrella coverage, if not 2 or 3. Reduce your liabilities to the minimum required by your umbrella and add or up the umbrella.

I don't *even* have $5000 in clothes, furniture, etc. I even don't own a fridge, I just drink room temperature Soylents. I work remote full-time in thrift shop pajamas. How do you think I was able to afford 3 million in houses lol

I have a couple washing machines and stuff spread across different properties but they're all $100 Craigslist specials and certainly none are worth more than a deductible.

I'd agree about the umbrella coverage, USAA seems to sell it ($30/month for 3 million per occurrence), but I'm not too sure about how comprehensive it is:

https://content.usaa.com/mcontent/static_assets/Media/UmbrellaSummaryOfKeyFeatures.pdf?SearchRanking=4&SearchLinkPhrase=umbrella%20insurance

1) Would I be covered if I punch someone in the face and they sue me?

2) It says "Bodily/Personal Injury or Property Damage arising out of the rental or holding for rental of any part of any premises" is NOT covered... if I'm living in one unit and renting the others, it sounds like if my tenant's dog mauls a kid, I'm still not covered by the umbrella insurance?

3) If I get the umbrella coverage, can I then lower the corresponding coverages on the home insurance to their minimums in order to try and get the premiums as low as possible?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Are you sure goons are your best source of information here?

You've got to have an agent at your insurance company you can call. Or if you're shopping insurance now you can find an agent to answer these questions.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Zero VGS posted:

I don't *even* have $5000 in clothes, furniture, etc. I even don't own a fridge, I just drink room temperature Soylents. I work remote full-time in thrift shop pajamas. How do you think I was able to afford 3 million in houses lol

I have a couple washing machines and stuff spread across different properties but they're all $100 Craigslist specials and certainly none are worth more than a deductible.

how the gently caress do I even begin diagnosing your shambles of a life

this post is proof you can have all the money in the world but you can't buy sense

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Two boyhood friends grow up and go their separate ways. One becomes a humble monk, the other a rich and powerful minister to the king.

Years later they meet. As they catch up, the minister (in his fine robes) takes pity on the thin, shabby monk. Seeking to help, he says:

“You know, if you could learn to cater to the king you wouldn’t have to live on rice and beans.”

To which the monk replies:

*Farting* “I even don't own a fridge, I just drink room temperature Soylents. I work remote full-time in thrift shop pajamas. How do you think I was able to afford 3 million in houses lol”

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I am deeply ashamed at the fact that I didn't realize home owner insurance was basically like an upgraded renter's insurance. I always thought I would have to part ways with renter's insurance after the fact.

I am closing on a Wednesday. Should I be freaking out at the fact that the final walk through is scheduled for this Saturday? The family is really nice and I can't see them throwing a crazy going away party, but I keep reading about how it should be set as close as possible to closing date.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I just assumed you were leveraged to the hilt, which I believe is also true. More true than drinking soylent as your sole source of calories at home. You also seem mad at having to have fire insurance, which is laughable.

Zero VGS posted:

I'd agree about the umbrella coverage, USAA seems to sell it ($30/month for 3 million per occurrence), but I'm not too sure about how comprehensive it is:

https://content.usaa.com/mcontent/static_assets/Media/UmbrellaSummaryOfKeyFeatures.pdf?SearchRanking=4&SearchLinkPhrase=umbrella%20insurance

1) Would I be covered if I punch someone in the face and they sue me?

2) It says "Bodily/Personal Injury or Property Damage arising out of the rental or holding for rental of any part of any premises" is NOT covered... if I'm living in one unit and renting the others, it sounds like if my tenant's dog mauls a kid, I'm still not covered by the umbrella insurance?

3) If I get the umbrella coverage, can I then lower the corresponding coverages on the home insurance to their minimums in order to try and get the premiums as low as possible?

The coverage is your personal property inside your own home. Non-owner-occupied rentals don't count with your 4-plex being a bit of an oddity I don't know about. You should talk to a broker about this stuff as what you have is a business. Umbrella policies generally are extensions to your "Libability" coverage. So if something triggered that, it goes on up through to the umbrella should it need to, and your umbrella would be over multiple policies. I bet your other rental policies have that same exclusion. The umbrella has a minimum amount of other liability coverage required below it before it triggers, say $250k (check your policy.) So if you had $100k below it you would have to cough up $150k of your own money in addition to your deductible to get the umbrella to trigger. They are additive though, so your $3MM policy ontop of your existing $500k means you have $3.5MM in liability for a covered incident.

I went from 500/500/500x3 on my cars to 250/500/100x3 + $1MM in umbrella. State farm required minimums.

Bioshuffle posted:

I am deeply ashamed at the fact that I didn't realize home owner insurance was basically like an upgraded renter's insurance. I always thought I would have to part ways with renter's insurance after the fact.

Not uncommon I believe. The primary addition your homeowners gets you is structure insurance. That is generally held by your landlord. Condo insurance is the middle ground there. That's why homeowners costs so much more than renters insurance which is contents and liability only.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I went through a house fire where we pretty much lost everything growing up. Replacing all of your worldly possessions is a lot more expensive than you think. Stand in your kitchen and look at everything, then figure out what it would cost to replace brand new at retail. We had 50K of coverage and that didn't even come close. It's amazing how much stuff a normal person accumulates over a lifetime.

Now that I'm an adult with my own stuff to replace, I've made sure my insurance covers replacement cost of everything in the house. Spend the extra to get replacement cost coverage, not ACV (actual cash value) coverage. I have 200K in personal property coverage right now and that will easily cover everything I own.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Zero VGS posted:

Fraud and inherited wealth, like most other aspiring real estate tycoons, as documented by your posts in this thread.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I even don't own a fridge, I just drink room temperature Soylents.

Genuine question: why? Are you one of the cats out there that doesn't like food as a whole?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have about $15k worth of "nice furniture" (pretty accurate number) and I probably have $4k worth of electronic toys, laptops, monitor, stereo, tv etc. that aren't older than 5 years. My wife probably has $6-8k worth of wardrobe. I have a bunch of nerd junk from my previous bachelor life in the closet but if it all burnt down tomorrow I wouldn't cry about it. We have maybe $35k worth of stuff we would want to replace within 18 months, I guess. We could probably replace it with low budget Ikea furniture and generic brand electronics for under $8k

It would suck to have to pay out of pocket for all that stuff new again, but it wouldn't financially break us to have to buy it all over again. We have some insane 5 digit deductible and whatever to meet mortgage/HOA requirements and plan on paying out of pocket should that event ever happen, knock on wood. I don't find much if any comfort in insurance and I've never seen insurance pay out what the end user thought it would.

If you're living paycheck to paycheck (if so why are you buying a house?) then eating a sudden $10k cost to get on your feet probably would financially cripple you; getting insurance seems wise in that case. In our case I would imagine the year it would take us to pick out and wait for delivery of new furniture, we would just pay for it as we go. We have a $200 food processor, but we don't need to replace it tomorrow if it burnt in a fire.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Side note, Soylent is awesome, food is boring and a waste of time :colbert: I get a case delivered every month, it's my lunch most days. I get chocolate flavor, I can't stand regular

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hadlock posted:

We have about $15k worth of "nice furniture"

just 1 chair??

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Hadlock posted:

I don't find much if any comfort in insurance and I've never seen insurance pay out what the end user thought it would.

Have you ever made a claim on an insurance policy?

Unfortunately I've been a part of several in my lifetime and have had no issues with them paying out according to policy, and the customer service has been pretty good each time.

I sleep better at night knowing that I won't be financially ruined in case of a car accident, or someone injures themselves on my property, or my house burns down. It might never happen, but I'm not gambling my future on it.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

just 1 chair??

This is funny, but not funny. gently caress real nice furniture is expensive.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hadlock posted:

Side note, Soylent is awesome, food is boring and a waste of time :colbert: I get a case delivered every month, it's my lunch most days. I get chocolate flavor, I can't stand regular

Chiming in to say I loving love Soylent and the day it's not available anymore will suck and I'll have to learn to cook more. Price is getting fairly reasonable at $3 a bottle for Cacao these days.

That being said I think food is cool too, but screw cooking when I don't have to or going out and spending more.

Zero VGS is taking it... in another direction. :v:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Hadlock posted:

can we get a verdict from someone who has to live with your soylentfarts?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I don't find much if any comfort in insurance and I've never seen insurance pay out what the end user thought it would.

I feel like people shop price and not features then complain. The insurance companies don't strictly make it easy, but people who scream about price the loudest are likely the ones ignoring everything on their paperwork except bottom line price. You can definitely eat costs, but your mortgage keeps being due, you still need a place to live, and all of your worldly possessions just went up in flames including any keepsake/sentimental stuff.

If you have ARV and guaranteed replacement of your house with a sane estimate and accurate accounting of your goods then you will get paid minimal questions asked. There is a pretty good post I saw on reddit about it which illustrates it well. If you say "toaster" you will get $6 because that's the cheapest toaster ikea/walmart sells. If you say "Black and decker 2 slicer toaster model 1234 $19.34" you will get $19.34.

If you have ACV good luck. That same $19.34 toaster has a 10 year useful life according to their system and it's 11 years old. Congratulations it's worth $0. Your policy sure will be cheap though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

just 1 chair??

You're actually a Prada alt?

It all makes so much more sense now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

PCjr sidecar posted:

Fraud and inherited wealth, like most other aspiring real estate tycoons, as documented by your posts in this thread.

Inherited wealth? How loving dare you, I grew up poor and had barely enough for a down payment in 2008 when I got into real estate. No, it was 50% good hard work and bootstraps and luck, and 50% fraud to take the edge off.

edit: also, if I said it once I've said it a million times, being a gay with no kids who doesn't smoke or drink and bikes to work and has no standards of fashion or diet and plays F2P videogames when not busy with his own home improvement sweat equity, saves an ungodly amount of money. My non-housing expenses are around $200/month. Goons love to poo poo on me but the truth is none of you could HANDLE a lifestyle like mine. You'd blow your brains out from depression in the scenarios I thrive in. I've been in full prepper apocalypse mode for over a decade and now it's my time to shine, baby!

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 16, 2020

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Zero VGS posted:

Inherited wealth? How loving dare you, I grew up poor and had barely enough for a down payment in 2008 when I got into real estate. No, it was 50% good hard work and bootstraps and luck, and 50% fraud to take the edge off.

edit: also, if I said it once I've said it a million times, being a gay with no kids who doesn't smoke or drink and bikes to work and has no standards of fashion or diet and plays F2P videogames when not busy with his own home improvement sweat equity, saves an ungodly amount of money. My non-housing expenses are around $200/month. Goons love to poo poo on me but the truth is none of you could HANDLE a lifestyle like mine. You'd blow your brains out from depression in the scenarios I thrive in. I've been in full prepper apocalypse mode for over a decade and now it's my time to shine, baby!
Here we see the traditional posture of the landlord, lying

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

"Imagine not living like a meth addict without the brief respite of drugs just to hoard wealth/homes that I share with no one and cannot take with me to the looming grave. Just lol"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Dig up, stupid.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Goons outing themselves as nonfood eaters who live off soylent ITT.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

All of this is cool and good, except for the fraud.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I want to know about the fraud.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Epitope posted:

All of this is cool and good, except for the fraud.

Even the fraud is good because it's only against giant corporations and I don't give a fuuuuck Wells Fargo can suck my dick! Be gay do crimes.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

The trick is for every felony I do, I also admit to 9 felonies I haven't actually done, which makes it way too confusing to nail me down for one.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I don't think you could HANDLE it.