Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Right, but like I said you swap the bulbs before you list the house. Not that hard, and you're going to be moving anyhow so what's the point in leaving them installed for strangers to get confused by?

It's just like any other "permanent" fixture that you intend on taking with you. If you leave it up for buyers to see, don't be surprised when someone gets pissed that the $1000 in smart bulbs that they just bought disappeared. Or the TV wall mount, or the curtain rods, or the ceiling fan.

edit: same goes for any smart switches/thermostats/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Sundae posted:

Also, everything is temporary. You are not owning now, at your current income, in Seattle. Times change, jobs change, cities burn down in vast waves of hellfire, etc etc. Don't make a mistake now; the mistake will wait until later. :D

(Keep saving, buy later when it's not 43% of your income because you've slapped down plenty of savings on your downpayment. Then lose your house to a climate-change induced hellfire anyway. All things end in fire.)

I appreciate your perspective and input but it doesn’t really apply here.

I’m not leaving the greater Seattle area and housing costs here increase faster than my income will.

I could try for a condo. Wouldn’t be the worst. But even then, when HOAs are accounted for, it’s a decent chunk of my gross.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
If you're making 90k in the seattle area, it's probably going to be tough to own unless you are generous on your definition of "seattle area" or you find a small, outdated but well-maintained house in a location where it's not super desirable to knock it down and replace it with a mcmansion. You could probably find a condo, but I can't say much about that since I've never looked at them. Basically the farther away from seattle/bellevue/redmond/kirkland you get, the more likely you'll be able to find something you can afford, but your commute will be longer

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

I appreciate your perspective and input but it doesn’t really apply here.

I’m not leaving the greater Seattle area and housing costs here increase faster than my income will.

I could try for a condo. Wouldn’t be the worst. But even then, when HOAs are accounted for, it’s a decent chunk of my gross.

This is a good point, we are in the bay area and we were in a similar situation where our lifetime net rate of increase of income is peaking in the next 6-18 months, that was the (a) forcing factor for us in buying a house in our current neighborhood. Ignoring pandemic factors, cost of housing continues to go up at approx 6.5%/year in our area and we're both senior level looking at 3-6% cost of living increases for at least five years. We ended up buying higher than the suggested magic 33%, but if we wanted to own, and start planning for a family, we'd have to buckle down on our expenses and pay more than we wanted. It's a bit of a gamble, but it's interesting to see someone else concerned about their buying window being so small.

Even with HOA stuff, it's a nice luxury to not have to worry about getting evicted and losing your rent controlled apartment and potentially have to move out of the area.

43% of gross income for a single family home is probably a better decision than 43% of gross for a condo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Also, depending on who wins the next election, there's a non-zero chance that the $10,000 SALT deduction cap will get repealed, which (total speculation here) is going to push west coast prices up again, as a $1.5 million house (average price in SF) costs an extra $10,000/year, perpetually, roughly $850/mo now, which is starting to be factored into total sale price. The only people exempt from this are people with homes either bought before the grandfathered date, or with values below $750,000, which is a pretty tiny 2 bed/1 bath house in Berkeley or Oakland these days

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

If you are NOT using escrow (for taxes/insurance), is there a limit on the amount of closing costs that can be rolled into a loan for a refi?

Some type of regulation or common lender policy on that?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The rate at which real estate prices are increasing in a given metro area is not a constant that will definitely hold true for decades into the future.

It's worthwhile to make a projection and make some kind of guesstimate based on that, sure, but never say "never" because things change in ways we can't predict.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leperflesh posted:

The rate at which real estate prices are increasing in a given metro area is not a constant that will definitely hold true for decades into the future.

It's worthwhile to make a projection and make some kind of guesstimate based on that, sure, but never say "never" because things change in ways we can't predict.
Also keep in mind that in some cities adjacent blocks can go in different directions.

When I lived in Baltimore, each mayor would promise to revitalize a certain neighborhood. They'd do this by taking funding away from the previous mayors' project neighborhoods. So property values would fluctuate wildly based on the resources being committed to them.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
i toured a house last weekend that had a 200 year old cemetery in the front yard. well, just one family. like 15 folks from 3 generations. it was only a portion of the yard, and is town maintained.

the current owners had an above ground pool overlooking it. there was a deck built around the pool and everything, real weird choice. Especially since there was room for the pool on the other side of the house.

I put in an offer way above list and was outbid for the cemetery house. things are wild out there.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cemetery house sounds alright. We specifically asked for a murder house.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
After a weekend of hell moving out I'm so ready to get my place listed and off my hands. Hopefully the market stays as hot as it currently is for a month.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I see that Relator recommendation company in the OP but the post is fairly old. Is that business still active?

We're looking for an agent and I'd like to do it a smart way.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

lol, the power company shut off the PO's power to my house a day early.

so that's cool

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Xguard86 posted:

I see that Relator recommendation company in the OP but the post is fairly old. Is that business still active?

We're looking for an agent and I'd like to do it a smart way.

I strongly recommend Redfin if they are in your area. You can get showings in a short time frame without a hassle, and you get some of the commission kicked back without needing to beg for it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
They are and I was thinking of using them but wasn't sure as a first time buyer if that was the route. Good to hear that's a strong option

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Deviant posted:

so that's cool

my power company shut off my power because I requested it to be switched over to my name but they needed a deed / proof of closing before I could get it done, but I didn't get that since it was closing day.. was cool to walk into my new house with zero power. luckily I wasn't moving in immediately

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Deviant posted:

so that's cool
In Orlando, I’d think it’s the opposite of cool. :dadjoke:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

tater_salad posted:

my power company shut off my power because I requested it to be switched over to my name but they needed a deed / proof of closing before I could get it done, but I didn't get that since it was closing day.. was cool to walk into my new house with zero power. luckily I wasn't moving in immediately

yeah i have 60 days of overlap between here and the apartment so it's whatever, but ugh.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In Orlando, I’d think it’s the opposite of cool. :dadjoke:

listen here you little poo poo

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I never knew how horrible home buying is. Currently dealing with Home offer #4 and accepted offer #2. Hopefully this one all pulls through because I started having to actually pay for inspections/appraisals. I have the worst mortgage expert ever who didn't know what a home inspection was.

First accepted offer fell through because they wanted a condition to find a home. I was fine with that but wanted them to pay for my inspection costs if they don't find a home in 90 days. They refused and I didn't want to lay out money for no promise of the contract moving forward.

Really can't wait until this is all over and instead I get to complain about all the costs of maintaining a home.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The magic document for closing of construction projects is a lien waiver.

On the commercial side, that is usually given when the last 10% of the construction cost is paid to the contractor (the retainage). At the same time those contracts are usually better defined than residential ones.

A good title company and lender on a proposed commercial deal is going to demand lien waivers from every contractor, subcontractor and supplier before the last dollars leave escrow if there is financing involved, while less rigorous standards will let this get a little fuzzier.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Offer accepted (after many attempts) so now the dance begins. Inspection tomorrow. What a process.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Goddamn, despite talking me up on how they absolutely will close fast Better.com has now missed my refinance closing date twice. I'm tempted to see if I can start an application with another company just to see if I could finish underwriting & closing before Better gets back to me. If their website and rates weren't so good I'd basically never recommend using them.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Goddamn, despite talking me up on how they absolutely will close fast Better.com has now missed my refinance closing date twice. I'm tempted to see if I can start an application with another company just to see if I could finish underwriting & closing before Better gets back to me. If their website and rates weren't so good I'd basically never recommend using them.

They gave me lovely rates too, soooo... :suicide:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm in the middle of a slow experience with them too! Has your rate lock expired / needed to be extended? How did they handle that (did they extend for free because they are so slow)?

Hoping to close next week.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

pmchem posted:

I'm in the middle of a slow experience with them too! Has your rate lock expired / needed to be extended? How did they handle that (did they extend for free because they are so slow)?

Hoping to close next week.

My rate lock will expire Monday and the next scheduled closing date is Tuesday. I asked them about the rate expiring and the woman said they'll extend it with no cost.

What's funny is that there is theoretically supposed to be a different team member talking with you as the loan application progresses. The "processing expert" called me every Monday and Friday while underwriting was happening to let me know that things were moving along even if there appeared to be no movement on the website itself. But as soon as the closing disclosures came out and I scheduled my first closing date, absolute radio-silence from the "closing expert". I've emailed her as the date approached only to get auto-replies about show she is out of the office that day, and I only get emailed by her assistant the day of the closing to be told that they are not ready yet. I really don't understand what is physically happening in the offices of that place. Underwriting from Owning.com took 5 days and I closed with 14 of the application date last time.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

My rate lock will expire Monday and the next scheduled closing date is Tuesday. I asked them about the rate expiring and the woman said they'll extend it with no cost.

What's funny is that there is theoretically supposed to be a different team member talking with you as the loan application progresses. The "processing expert" called me every Monday and Friday while underwriting was happening to let me know that things were moving along even if there appeared to be no movement on the website itself. But as soon as the closing disclosures came out and I scheduled my first closing date, absolute radio-silence from the "closing expert". I've emailed her as the date approached only to get auto-replies about show she is out of the office that day, and I only get emailed by her assistant the day of the closing to be told that they are not ready yet. I really don't understand what is physically happening in the offices of that place. Underwriting from Owning.com took 5 days and I closed with 14 of the application date last time.

At least your processing expert was calling you. I've taken to scheduling calls with them like 3x a week just to stay on top of them. Squeaky wheel getting the grease and all.

I have a great rate locked (2.5% on a 30-year for cheap) and like their website, but, yeah, they are slow as poo poo. I imagine they must be overloaded with people doing refis right now.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Had a whole house inspection done today. The guy said the furnace is original to the house (1975), but it appears to be in great working order and it was a high-end unit in the day. He said he would expect it to last but it won't be the most efficient. Our agent called up an inspector for the furnace within the hour and he found a 5" crack in the front panel and said the whole unit needed replaced, so we're kicking that back to the seller now. Best $65 ever spent. Now I'm wondering if there's anything else the whole house guy missed...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tremors posted:

Had a whole house inspection done today. The guy said the furnace is original to the house (1975), but it appears to be in great working order and it was a high-end unit in the day. He said he would expect it to last but it won't be the most efficient. Our agent called up an inspector for the furnace within the hour and he found a 5" crack in the front panel and said the whole unit needed replaced, so we're kicking that back to the seller now. Best $65 ever spent. Now I'm wondering if there's anything else the whole house guy missed...

The furnace guy thinks it's time to install a new furnace, eh?!

He's not also offering to do the work or refer you, is he?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Currently sitting at the closing office, waiting for things to happen, and seeing “Last Payment Date: 10/01/2050” sure makes you contemplate your own mortality.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The furnace guy thinks it's time to install a new furnace, eh?!

He's not also offering to do the work or refer you, is he?

If we can get the seller to pay for it I don't know why we wouldn't?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tremors posted:

If we can get the seller to pay for it I don't know why we wouldn't?

Obviously if the sellers are going to give you a free furnace you should take it. I missed the part where they had agreed to it!

My point is that Furnace Replacement Guys always think it's Furnace Replacement Time, so if the sellers had said no, it may not necessarily have been a big deal. You may not actually need a new furnace.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If it's a 5" crack in a gas furnace, you could be at risk of carbon monoxide exposure. Electric is slightly less dangerous but a 45 year old furnace would be on my list of things to consider replacing, especially if you live in the artic north. Lighting your house on fire due to failed electrical wire insulation or whatever in the dead of winter does not sound like a good time

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Big Furnace always trying to rip out 45 year old furnaces before their time!!! :argh:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is that a long life? Mine has been maintained diligently since 1981 and runs like a top. Hard to imagine it'll be overdue for replacement within 5 years!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had a combo ac/gas furnace at my last long term housing, it was probably from the mid-2000s, I barely trusted that thing, and it was probably designed with required safety features from the year 2000 and designed on a computer by somebody with an actual engineering degree

Even a brand new, unregulated furnace sold in a third world country is probably higher quality than something designed in the 1960s and assembled by hand. Seems like a massive fire hazard, can you even insure a house against fire with a furnace that old, without lying about the age of the furnace

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hadlock posted:

something designed in the 1960s and assembled by hand.

Bro I got bad news about how old we are & what year was 45 years ago

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My guess is that new product turnover was a lot slower prior to the invention of Computer Assisted Design, and a system installed in 1975 very likely was designed, or based on a design from much earlier. A furnace from 1975 probably doesn't have six solid state sensors to do automatic shutoff in case it begins to overheat, or whatever. I dunno, I'm not a furnace guy but I suspect the Apollo Moon Landing computer probably has more smarts than that guys' busted furnace that predates the Space Shuttle by six years. Who knows though, Intel was already building microprocessors by 1971 and he did say it was a top of the line model

Carbureted engines didn't change substantially from about 1930 up until the widespread adoption of electronic injection in the 1980s. Maybe a sexy industry like furnaces were ahead of the curve compared to cars, I dunno, like I said I'm not a furnace guy

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 16, 2020

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I mean, sure, fundamentally, a furnace is a blower and a heat source in the same way a car is four wheels and a powertrain and a late 70s gm got 10 mpg and 120 hp and honda got 20 mpg and 60 hp. :iiaca:

Probably wouldn’t rush out to get a new one if I had one working but its literally crumbling lol.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yes, regardless of if it works, how long ago 1965 was or whatever Hadlock's thing was about, it will be Best to have a shiny new 2020 furnace installed, for free.

I'm definitely jealous of a market where you can get the seller to pay for stuff. It's so red hot here that if you ask for anything, they just terminate and move on to a backup offer from the pile. Incredible time to be selling a fixer-upper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Yeah, I think the "does this house need a new furnace" conversation is way less interesting than who pays for it. A seller in this market should rightly balk at the idea - the house was priced and bid on with a 45 year old furnace, it's worth more with a 2020 furnace.

Now, it also costs something to back out of a sale and start the process over so I'd expect the seller to kick in something but if you can get the whole costs that's a bit of a windfall.