Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Motronic posted:

It gets you a moderate pain in the rear end that most people don't expect out of a home fridge, because it's basically a commercial fridge. It cools more evenly, it seals better (the doors are difficult to open because of this) and it keep food fresher longer. Like a commercial fridge. The also have separate compressors for the fridge and freezer. That's more available on the higher models of typical home brands now, but they used to be the only game in town for that.

Do not expect through the door ice/water to work worth a poo poo. While it's an available option, it's obviously not a priority for them.

And, of course, you are paying for the name. And the 10 year warranty.

Besides better sealing due to being a commercial fridge, there is better temperature regulation in the refrigerator due to handling of ethylene. That being said, Japanese refrigerators which you cannot find in the US (because no Japanese company sells their refrigerator here) have this out of the box at a much cheaper price.

The real reason for a Sub Zero refrigerator is for status symbol, let's be honest. Many Sub-zero refrigerators do break down often and lead to a lot of repairs, so in the luxury housing market here it is considered a refrigerator everybody has to buy the first time they get a fancy refrigerator. Then after that folks do not ever get one again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Interesting. My worry about paying that much for reliability is, there's no guarantee it actually is that reliable. By the time you find out you're already out the money. The warranty is nice, but it's still a hassle.

I'm looking forward to getting a better oven, though. The one in the house we rent is terribly inconsistent.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
For ovens, do you bake a lot?

If that is the case, then you will want an electric oven. Otherwise, gas.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

ntan1 posted:

For ovens, do you bake a lot?

If that is the case, then you will want an electric oven. Otherwise, gas.

My wife does bake a good deal. I prefer gas burners for the stovetop but can see how an electric oven would heat more evenly.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
yeah, if you do own a house, a dual fuel range would then make sense.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

My wife does bake a good deal. I prefer gas burners for the stovetop but can see how an electric oven would heat more evenly.

Dual fuel is nice but simply getting a slightly off the pin on quality gas oven is fine once you learn the quirks. We bake a lot and unless you are doing super fiddly recipes like macarons they bake fine.

Electric ovens also heat up your house a hell of a lot less because they don't have to vent combustion gas into the living space. (unless someone makes one that vents outside.)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

Dual fuel is nice but simply getting a slightly off the pin on quality gas oven is fine once you learn the quirks. We bake a lot and unless you are doing super fiddly recipes like macarons they bake fine.

Electric ovens also heat up your house a hell of a lot less because they don't have to vent combustion gas into the living space. (unless someone makes one that vents outside.)

My house right now has the cheapest electric stove money can buy (doesn't even have a clock) and the oven vents via a hole under one of the range burners. Just a straight up open hole from oven to my kitchen air, you can look in and see whatever you're baking. As an added bonus there's no exhaust fan in the kitchen.

Been so long since I had an electric stove that I can't remember if this is just the norm or what but it's way worse than my last gas range. I can't wait to kick this thing to the curb.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Electric oven, gas stove

This is the Way

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

My house right now has the cheapest electric stove money can buy (doesn't even have a clock) and the oven vents via a hole under one of the range burners. Just a straight up open hole from oven to my kitchen air, you can look in and see whatever you're baking. As an added bonus there's no exhaust fan in the kitchen.

I don't recall the one I've used most recently having anything that bad. All it has to do is equalize pressure and make sure that it doesn't turn into a little bomb. My gas oven vents onto the middle/rear burner making it dangerous to leave things there because you will forget and burn yourself picking it up. Used to leave my cast iron sandwich press there. Three or four burns later I don't do it handily 80% of the time.

My sister in law has the cheapest gas oven/stove combo money can buy and bakes plenty in it. You just have to get used to the quirks and not overload them.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Re: Sub-Zeros:

I just want a fridge that works well for multiple decades and also will look good for multiple decades. Don’t really give a poo poo about the status aspect. My parents remodeled the family home in 1995 and installed a Sub-Zero. It is still there working just fine 25 years later. They had a single relatively minor issue with it a while back in which a tube or gasket needed replacing. In-freezer ice maker got weird like two years ago and started making hollow ice cubes, but those units are easily replaceable.

The real challenge is avoiding all the IoT poo poo because that’s now crept its way into the higher end stuff. I want to believe that there’s no way they could design a $10k fridge that would get bricked by a bad firmware update, but you can’t be sure about anything anymore.

Anyhow, since this is the house-buying thread, if you end up with the house with the $15k fridge but don’t otherwise like the kitchen, keep the fridge and make it fit into the new kitchen. And then in the future when/if you sell the house, take the fridge with you.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Electric oven, gas stove

This is the Way

This is the combo I have right now and I'm pretty happy with it. Electric oven/micro wall combo and gas cooktop. First time I've ever cooked on gas, and I see why people love it.

Sirotan posted:

Been so long since I had an electric stove that I can't remember if this is just the norm or what but it's way worse than my last gas range. I can't wait to kick this thing to the curb.

We spent 3 months in an apartment 2 years ago while my current house was being built, and the oven in that apartment was probably the cheapest one money can buy as well. We stopped using it in the evening because it radiated so much heat into the apartment the AC unit couldn't keep up. We ate out a lot while living there.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Electric oven, gas stove

This is the Way

Electric oven, induction stove top. Heats as fast or faster than gas, way safer, easier to clean, and doesn't slowly poison you with combustion byproducts.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I think most people have bad associations with electric cause electric stove tops are rear end. But I’ve heard induction style is just as nice as gas as far as responsiveness. I’d be really curious to try that out.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Induction tops take way too long to cool down, and you can’t use a wok on them.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Induction tops take way too long to cool down, and you can’t use a wok on them.

I think you're thinking of the flat-top radiant stove tops (the glowing red circle.) Induction stove tops don't get any hotter than the pot/pan does, and only where the pan was sitting. There's zero heat if a pot/pan isn't on there.

Woks will work, as long as they are iron (most are) and have enough of a flat bottom to contact the cooktop.

The only real downside to induction ranges is that they are expensive.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

You can't roast a tortilla on an induction stove. Checkmate, electrons. :smug:

I've used both to cook on but I still prefer gas for raw power and its analog nature. Induction is more consistent and even for simmering.

Induction is light years ahead of those glass top abominations, though. If I ever couldn't get gas I'd gladly pay the premium for induction.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What's the best move for getting the best electricity rates in the middle of the summer?

Is it worth to eat a few cents in cost to be able to choose again come March when the rate are low?

I'm seeing rates for 8.9 cents for a year or longer, but if I do a 6 month, it jumps up to 10.6 cents. 3 months would be 11 cents.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 12, 2020

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm guessing you're in Texas? Most places have a public electric utility and don't shop rates.

8.9 cents is good enough that I would just book it for the year.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

NH has energy supplier choice. Delivery is regulated, but who sources the electrons to send down the wire to your house is your choice (yes, I know this is not actually how the electric grid works).

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So I just learned that the house next door to me (my house’s twin but chopped into a duplex) will be going up for sale in the near future.

I would very much like the buyer of this house to be an owner-occupier (or at least a decent local landlord who’s a known factor and doesn’t rent to idiots) and not some interloping “property investor” shitbag. I’ve already told friends who are in the market for either a multiunit (to occupy one unit while renting out the other(s)) or a fixer upper Victorian and plan to tell more relevant folks tomorrow (including our real estate agent who I know would love a lead like this).

Does anyone here know how off-market real estate deals happen? Two houses on my block recently sold in off-market deals (in one case the seller and buyer knew each other). I’d love to be able to throw the owner some contacts and serious leads on buyers before the house even hits the market to help reduce chances the house is picked up by some skeevy investor/flipper.

I know this all probably sounds NIMBY as gently caress, but we have a rampant flipper/property investor problem around here and this property is a ripe flipper target (if the price is right) and I just want to do my part keeping even one house out of flipper hands and have it instead go directly to someone who just wants a cool house to live in.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Powers posted:

NH has energy supplier choice. Delivery is regulated, but who sources the electrons to send down the wire to your house is your choice (yes, I know this is not actually how the electric grid works).

That's also how MA works, and of course suppliers will come up to your door and say they're with the electric company and ask to see your electric bill so they can scam the electric company with your account number and change your supplier to them (some of my tenants fell for it).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

What's the best move for getting the best electricity rates in the middle of the summer?

Is it worth to eat a few cents in cost to be able to choose again come March when the rate are low?

I'm seeing rates for 8.9 cents for a year or longer, but if I do a 6 month, it jumps up to 10.6 cents. 3 months would be 11 cents.

Go to powertochoose.org if you are in texas

Figure out the cheapest rate. Take CAREFUL note that certain rates are specifically for KWH usage between X and Y. If you already know your KWH usage within reasonable amounts, then you can generally pick a good one. If not, you'll get hosed on overages. 8.9 is pretty decent for Texas

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

we put our offer in (with an as is pending inspection clause, which gives us the ability to walk if we don't like what we see) and were already told theres an offer $15k higher... and this is before the open house and 48 hours before offers are due. and every day I see more foreclosures and houses with price drops.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

holy gently caress i just got to a showing and the seller agent didnt think appointments were necessary, so there were like 15 people there

...i'm still gonna offer on it, i liked it a lot.

i invite thoughts:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1409-Ponce-De-Leon-Blvd-Winter-Springs-FL-32708/47679952_zpid/

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Queen Victorian posted:

So I just learned that the house next door to me (my house’s twin but chopped into a duplex) will be going up for sale in the near future.

I know this all probably sounds NIMBY as gently caress, but we have a rampant flipper/property investor problem around here and this property is a ripe flipper target (if the price is right) and I just want to do my part keeping even one house out of flipper hands and have it instead go directly to someone who just wants a cool house to live in.

Have you talked to the current owners and let them know you have some people interested? If your contacts are motivated, there's nothing stopping them from making an offer or at least having a conversation with the current owners about what they'd be willing to pay for it. By doing so, you've poisoned the flipper's well by showing the seller that they don't have to take rock bottom prices (what the flipper would offer) for their property to get out.

The best way to combat flippers is to come in with a strong offer for the property. Flippers get maligned constantly, but the reality is that they are able to purchase and flip properties because other offers (conventional buyers) either don't come, or aren't as compelling, likely due to contingencies. Flippers, by definition, have to build in a large profit margin, so it shouldn't be difficult for a DIY buyer who plans on investing sweat equity to out bid them significantly.

In most areas, a RE agent has to, by law, present all offers they receive to the seller.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

B-Nasty posted:

Have you talked to the current owners and let them know you have some people interested? If your contacts are motivated, there's nothing stopping them from making an offer or at least having a conversation with the current owners about what they'd be willing to pay for it. By doing so, you've poisoned the flipper's well by showing the seller that they don't have to take rock bottom prices (what the flipper would offer) for their property to get out.

The best way to combat flippers is to come in with a strong offer for the property. Flippers get maligned constantly, but the reality is that they are able to purchase and flip properties because other offers (conventional buyers) either don't come, or aren't as compelling, likely due to contingencies. Flippers, by definition, have to build in a large profit margin, so it shouldn't be difficult for a DIY buyer who plans on investing sweat equity to out bid them significantly.

In most areas, a RE agent has to, by law, present all offers they receive to the seller.

Not yet, but will be hanging out with the tenants tonight (outdoors and with proper social distancing) and will ask for it then.

Even though I said I really would not want a flipper to get the house, there is one exception (that I didn’t feel like getting into last night because I was falling asleep while posting). A local landlord/flipper couple who actually do really nice work (as in they do stuff like install solid hardwood and strip and restore original woodwork) and have a vested interest in actually making the neighborhood nice because they are local. They redid two houses on our block, one as an actual flip (bought it as a literal crack den) and the other was a triplex they they’d owned for ages and reverted to single family before selling. They act as their own listing agents and have the patience to sell it to who they want to sell it to.

There is another house for sale across the street that they are interested in but can’t get the owner to budge on price (dude wants 75k over what we paid for our much nicer and less lovely house), so if the one next door, which would be much easier to fix because it is in way better shape, goes for under the other one, it’ll probably sell pretty fast. As for the one across the street, lots of skeevy-looking flipper types circling like vultures waiting for a good enough price drop. Same situation with our house, actually - it sat on the market for months at too high a price and we just happened to be quickest to throw down an offer after a huge price drop. Tons of flippers wanting to put up backup offers, as I understand.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Hadlock posted:

Go to powertochoose.org if you are in texas

Figure out the cheapest rate. Take CAREFUL note that certain rates are specifically for KWH usage between X and Y. If you already know your KWH usage within reasonable amounts, then you can generally pick a good one. If not, you'll get hosed on overages. 8.9 is pretty decent for Texas
I see three rates. One for 500kWh, 1000kWh, and 2000kWh. Does this mean I'll be charged the 500kWh rate for the first 500kW and then 1000kW rate? Or does it depend entirely on the total usage per month? Also, can I pretty much ignore the renewable energy percentage?

Deviant posted:

holy gently caress i just got to a showing and the seller agent didnt think appointments were necessary, so there were like 15 people there

...i'm still gonna offer on it, i liked it a lot.

i invite thoughts:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1409-Ponce-De-Leon-Blvd-Winter-Springs-FL-32708/47679952_zpid/
That looks like a nice house. The only thing that sticks out to me are the super subtle level changes which could be a tripping hazard, especially with the white tile. I'm sure there are ways to remedy that, but level changes in the transition were a deal breaker for me because of my bum leg.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The tiling and flooring quality is very low, with the laminate flooring done poorly. Most of the ceilings are popcorn, which is likely a sign of asbestos.

The remodel looks to be done without permit. The previous buyers agent and current selling agent are the same, meaning this is a low quality flip.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I see three rates. One for 500kWh, 1000kWh, and 2000kWh. Does this mean I'll be charged the 500kWh rate for the first 500kW and then 1000kW rate? Or does it depend entirely on the total usage per month? Also, can I pretty much ignore the renewable energy percentage?

It depends. The PPA is going to commit you to certain amount of power and if you deviate it will have some kind of burst cost. I am not at all familiar with Texas residential ppa's but that's how stuff like that is priced typically. If 500kwh is super low priced and also unlikely to be what the average TX consumer for your market needs by half then I bet the penalty rate is comically high.

You're buying a guaranteed amount of generation. If you go over or under then they have to either fire sell it or buy peak demand on the open market. Either way you're getting the pointy end there. They almost certainly hedge this smartly and aren't paying anywhere near your penalty rate on average.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Deviant posted:

By the way, it's in a selling agent's interest not to have appointments. It makes people there feel uncomfortably pressured to spend less time analyzing the house itself, and it makes people offer more outrageously insane prices because they think that there is competition.

Remember that real estate agents are more likely than not the scumbags of the earth.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

That looks like a nice house. The only thing that sticks out to me are the super subtle level changes which could be a tripping hazard, especially with the white tile. I'm sure there are ways to remedy that, but level changes in the transition were a deal breaker for me because of my bum leg.

Yeah, my intent would be to resurface the 'lower' area, maybe to a nice brown like in the kitchen. That and a trim layer should help visually deliniate it.

I'm making a modest offer, 5k over asking, just to set myself apart.

ntan1 posted:

The tiling and flooring quality is very low, with the laminate flooring done poorly. Most of the ceilings are popcorn, which is likely a sign of asbestos.

The remodel looks to be done without permit. The previous buyers agent and current selling agent are the same, meaning this is a low quality flip.

Hmm. I hadn't noticed this. I'll ask my realtor. Why would they sit on it for three years if it was a flip? Google images show that at one point it was for rent.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 12, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That FL house looks ok, the pool is not screened in? That seems mandatory, your state bird is the mosquito, right? I don't like the posts separating the living from dining room, but it's better than the wall that was there originally

Also it's on 0.40 acres, that's a lot of lawn to mow. Would the city allow you to put a workshop or large she'd out back or what do you plan to do with all that space? Budget for a riding lawn mower. Or maybe put in a 4kw solar array so you don't have to pay to run your AC/dehumidifier anymore

Pool area has an eastern exposure, it looks like, which is suboptimal

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A riding mower for under half an acre that also has a pool and a house on it?

Even if it was all grass it would take under 30 minutes with a 48" walk behind. With all the stuff we're realistically looking at 15 if you're going slow.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Hadlock posted:

That FL house looks ok, the pool is not screened in? That seems mandatory, your state bird is the mosquito, right? I don't like the posts separating the living from dining room, but it's better than the wall that was there originally

Also it's on 0.40 acres, that's a lot of lawn to mow. Would the city allow you to put a workshop or large she'd out back or what do you plan to do with all that space? Budget for a riding lawn mower. Or maybe put in a 4kw solar array so you don't have to pay to run your AC/dehumidifier anymore

Pool area has an eastern exposure, it looks like, which is suboptimal

I hadn't considered a non roof mounted solar array, that's a cool idea. And yeah, I'd probably do a shed eventually, right now it's just grass and pool. Maybe screen the pool eventually too. Mosquitos don't get very bad on a well chlorinated pool, tohugh.

I'll probably get a riding mower because i'm lazy.

Edit Edit: I got outbid so that's that. Back to the hunt.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 13, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

A riding mower for under half an acre that also has a pool and a house on it?

Trap sprung, kid-haver spotted

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
My new house came with quite a few mystery features in it.

The one boggling me the most is that the showerhead had a string wrapped around it ten times, I unraveled it and it's actually a wire... with a resistor soldered to it?!

My only guess is that it's related to this non-functional panel on the wall maybe? One of the buttons seems to illustrate a flaming corpse, that's reassuring.

Or maybe that just makes steam from this weird nozzle at the bottom of the shower which doesn't seem to be a tub spout (since it's a standing shower anyway)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Are you in Barcelona?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

Are you in Barcelona?

Boston, why?

edit: lol so that's a 12000 watt steam generator and absolutely none of this stuff was done to code, this should be interesting

edit 2: found it on Alibaba: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/3-12-kw-wet-steam-engine_680017531.html lol nice to have "lack of water protection" and "12kw" in the description

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 13, 2020

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Zero VGS posted:

Boston, why?

edit: lol so that's a 12000 watt steam generator and absolutely none of this stuff was done to code, this should be interesting

edit 2: found it on Alibaba: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/3-12-kw-wet-steam-engine_680017531.html lol nice to have "lack of water protection" and "12kw" in the description

Check out the wiring thread in DIY particularly posts that inspired the current thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Placed an offer on this home. Doubt I got it though as the markets crazy right now. Especially around https://www.redfin.com/NJ/Boonton/5...tm_content=link