Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Putting in an offer today for the first time since I started hunting for my first home. 25 different groups toured this property at the open house yesterday so I'm trying really hard to not get attached knowing I'll probably get outbid immediately. :ohdear:

Edit: welp 2 offers on it already

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

cinnamon rollout posted:

Oh poo poo we're buying a house, our offer was accepted this morning.

Congrats! I learned my offer was not accepted, due to a slightly higher offer that was also all cash. Can't even be mad about something I have no hope in competing with I suppose.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Queen Victorian posted:

As we remodel, we will be upgrading wiring as we go through the rooms. Need to figure out how to keep the old style brass/Bakelite/mother of pearl push-button light switches though.

Easy peasy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TH7ZZM/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Motronic posted:

I recently dropped around $20k on a subcompact utility tractor (think oversized diesel lawn tractor/baby farm tractor with a loader and real 3-point hitch) and implements to manage a 2+ acre property that has about an acre of grass, much of which is under heavy tree cover, and a acre or so of mature woods leading to a creek on the property line.

Please post a picture of your shiny new tractor.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Motronic posted:

If I have to.......

(everything is a tractor-solvable problem when all you have is a tractor)

:neckbeard:

I will probably never have 10 acres, but I have fond childhood memories of tooling around my grandparents' 40 acres in a couple of their tractors. Granted, I was pulling a cart full of my younger cousins and not mowing the lawn or clearing brush...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The advice I have seen (which seems good) says go with the 30-year but pay more/pay the 15-year rate every month. It gives you some wiggle room if you ever have a financial crisis without the risk of potentially losing your home.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A house popped up in my Zillow alerts the other day that has walls made of cement due to it being a converted 19th century mill, the listing makes sure to note how quiet the house is on the inside more than once. It's not in an area I'm interested in buying but drat did I sit there and think about it for a good long time.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

House went on the market Sunday night, Monday afternoon I emailed my agent to schedule a showing. It's now Tuesday afternoon (the earliest I could see it because I just flew back into town Monday night) and the house has already gone contingent.

This poo poo is so discouraging.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ashcans posted:

The city is responsible for the actual construction and maintenance of sidewalks here, but homeowners are responsible for clearing them of snow. As you can imagine, this means that there's a big variation in when people feel like it needs to be shoveled, how quickly, and how thoroughly. Sometimes you'll get a situation where most of a street clears the sidewalk except one house, so everyone has to either slog through that patch or go into the street to avoid it or something. Of course, there is no telling when that person just isn't capable of clearing a walk because they're sick or hurt or old or disabled. On my previous street there was an old guy who just couldn't manage when the snow was too heavy or dense. It's not a great system.

Can you not report them? My city has an ordinance requiring you to clear snow from your sidewalk within 24 hours after 1 inch or more has fallen. If you don't you'll get a warning, and if you ignore that you get a $50 fine. There's a website and a phone number where you can report your lazy neighbors.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

crazypeltast52 posted:

I have family from southern California and they love seeing deer in the midwest. I did tell them how to properly hit deer if they were driving and one ran into the road. (Speed up, always speed up)

Deer are dumb as poo poo and now I have to worry about them also having wasting disease. In Michigan it's not a question of if you'll ever hit a deer, it's when. (Christmas Eve, driving to grandma's house, 1994.)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ashcans posted:

Like if my neighbor slipped on ice yesterday and fractured their wrist, getting them fined doesn't really do anything besides make their day worse. I'd prefer the city just cleared public ways themselves and raised my property taxes instead. :shrug:

So be neighborly and go clear it for them? :shrug:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

silvergoose posted:

As someone with a big yard, yards are awful and bad for the environment.

Yards are fine, it's grass that's dumb.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hypothetical question for y'all: house pops up for sale in an area you want to live in. You've been seriously searching for months, inventory is extremely low. You do a search and find that a registered sex offender lives within spitting distance of the house (not right next door but about half a block down the street). Does this impact your decision to buy?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hoodwinker posted:

Depends on what the crime is. Public urination can get you on the sex offender list. Kiddy diddling? That's a paddlin'

According to the site, it's:

750.520G1 - CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT ASSAULT WITH INTENT TO COMMIT SEXUAL PENETRATION

So merely an attempted rapist. :/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

In my current place, I couldn't tell you the race/gender/age of my neighbor 6 houses away, so maybe I shouldn't care? On the other hand, I'm a woman who will be living alone, moving to the suburb that has more crime because I cannot afford to buy something in town. I'm at the point where I'm feeling desperate to buy or more likely just giving up and committing to living in another lovely apartment for 2+ years, so this really just pisses me off.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

To be fair, six houses away is waaaayyyy different than 2 miles. But I agree, I could have an axe murderer living next door right now and I'd really have no way of knowing, I guess.

Edit: oh hey new thread title

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^^I'm currently living with family and yeah, nothing around us for about 8 square blocks right now

For the record I don't think it's something that will be a deal breaker. Now, if they were going to become my next door neighbor? ....yeah, probably.

Haven't even seen this house in person yet so there could be plenty of other reasons to walk away that I'll discover tomorrow!!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So after all that, the house needs waaaay more work than what it looked like from the photos and is super weird in person. It is 900sqft and somehow they've cut the basement up into 6 different rooms, the floor in the kitchen has an extremely noticible hump and I'd probably need to complete gut it, and there is a weird outbuilding with a massive (like, 8'x8', solid steel) interior door that makes me wonder if it truly was someone's murderroom. Probably just a gym.

Probably a pass unless I can really lowball it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

15k is like, close to 10% of my home buying budget right now lmao

:[

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Random question that may end up being completely moot: I'm going to see a house tomorrow, and in this market you get 36-48 hours tops after a listing pops up to get in an offer. If I put in an offer, the standard 45-day closing window would see me closing around Feb 23. I've got a trip planned for that week/weekend, so I'd probably try to close the week following. Typically how much interaction would I expect to happen with bankers/the seller/my agent/etc in the week before closing? Enough that I'd need to maybe cancel my trip so that I stay in town? Or minimal enough that as long as I have email access I should be ok?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DaveSauce posted:

Dumb question, but is 45 days mandatory or can you change that?

In my area, the offer-to-purchase includes a closing date and can be a point of negotiation if the seller needs to change it for some reason. 45 days doesn't leave a lot of time to react to last-minute stuff. I mean things can be done in 30 days if you really push, but that's going to be dependent on whether your lender can get their poo poo done quickly (hint: they can't).

I'm sure asking for another week wouldn't be a problem, but I guess it depends on your market. Something to talk to your agent about for sure since they should know your market better. Again in my area, it could be what makes a seller decide on one offer versus another one... they may want more or less time until closing, so all else equal they'd pick the offer with a closing date that suits them.

But as has already been stated, yes you will have a lot going on in the last week. Your lender will be calling you non-stop and yelling at you for their gently caress-ups and threatening to delay your closing if you don't get them information that they could have asked for weeks earlier. If you can't get it to them ASAP, your closing will be delayed and the sellers will be angry.

My lender was threatening to delay our closing because my HR manager was out of the office, so they couldn't verify my employment... 2 days before closing. Still pissed at them for that.

I don't think 45 days is mandatory but again I haven't even seen this house yet (will be later today) so I have no clue yet if the sellers have a preference. I want to make my offer as appealing as possible so I'll cancel my vacation if I need to if closing needs to occur during that time or I think I need to be around town. Thanks for the info though, I'm pretty sure I already knew that would be the case.

Even if I end up putting an offer on this house I'll probably just get outbid again by someone paying all cash...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DaveSauce posted:

I'd just speak with your agent. If you're interested in the house and worried about the closing date, they can ask the seller's agent before you even submit an offer. I hardly think an extra week or two would be a deal-breaker... chances are if they pass up your offer, it'd be for a different reason.

I wouldn't worry about other offers. If it's a hot market as you say, then yes there will probably be multiple coming in. Put in an offer you're comfortable with, and if someone else puts in a better offer then so be it. The seller might try to start a bidding war, but chances are they'll just accept the offer they like the best. There will be other houses, so don't let yourself get suckered in to submitting ridiculous offers. Unless you're desperate to get in to a house (e.g. out-of-town buyer and starting a new job in 46 days), then just relax and be prepared for rejection and weeks/months of searching. Hell, it took us over 2 months before we found something we even wanted to put an offer on. We got lucky and we were the only offer, but it could have easily taken longer.

Yeah I've been at it for about 7 months now and am beginning to feel kind of desperate. It doesn't help that while searching I'm living with my mom and we're starting to drive each other crazy. :emo:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sodacan posted:

Like am I looking up "arborist" on AngiesList or what.

Yes. If the tree is healthy they'll probably offer you trimming or fertilization services more than anything else.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The very first house that I put an offer on, and lost because the sellers went with an all cash offer, is now back on the market a whole 6 months later with all the same details, photos, etc. except they want $2k more than they bought it for any are trying to sell it by owner. Had my heart set on that house and have been bummed this whole time that I never got it. Now I'm not sure if I should feel happy or pissed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I can't imagine it was a flip gone bad. The house was immaculate when I last saw it, the only work it possibly needed was a dishwasher installed and updating the already finished basement. If they found something hosed up wouldn't they need to disclose it?

You guys are probably right though, even if I hadn't been pinning for this place it's just too weird. They raised the price on the listing about two hours after it posted, and have an open house scheduled for a month from now. All the decent houses in this market are selling in 2, maybe 3 days and this place went under contract in under a weekend last time around, so waiting a month and explicitly stating in the listing that highest and best offers are due by March 15 seems odd to me.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lol the listing on Zillow is now updated to include "WILL NOT LIST WITH REALTOR!**" in the descrip. My agent says she can't find a listing in the MLS for it. Only a handful of sites are showing it for sale again, while realtor.com, motovo etc do not. I bet it's just a straight up scam.

Edit: My agent says this wouldn't show up in the MLS if its FSBO, wants to know if I want to pursue it. hmmm

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 5, 2019

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jose Valasquez posted:

"I barely avoided getting hit by a train, should I jump back in front of it?"

I think it's more morbid curiosity at this point. Another friend suggested this is possibly money laundering. I just want to know, and it all pisses me off.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

skipdogg posted:

A friend of a coworker bought a trailer for like 350K and 2k a month lot rent in the Bay Area

Similar to this https://plazadelrey.com/1225-vienna-92

$2200/mo in lot rent, holy gently caress.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mr. Powers posted:

The houses aren't crap, which is what makes me sad. The locations are crap. The other house did need some work, but was proceed accordingly were it on a different lot. Someone is buying that one, btw.

I've been looking for a house for what feels like forever (extremely low inventory in the under $200k market in my area), and the last house I saw was mostly great except that it was next door to a terrible hoarder. My agent told me to "focus on the things you can change". Location is not one of those things.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Chitin posted:

Your realtor is trying to gently caress you.

uh, what?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Chitin posted:

"Concentrate on the things you can change" is really terrible real estate advice and sounds like someone who's trying to sell you something more than someone trying to look out for your best interests, unless I'm very much misunderstanding what you meant.

The house was ok, the location was poo poo. I can't change the location of the house, so I should keep looking. He was right and neither of us had a clue there was a hoarder next door, if I had I wouldn't have even bothered scheduling a viewing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lol I got some flack yesterday for considering a 1250sqft house. "That's kinda big for one person."

It's actually the nicest house I've seen yet and fits all my needs but is just expensive enough that I don't feel comfortable paying that much every month. :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm surprised if a place I'm interested in even gets an open house in my market. Decent places under $200k go contingent in 3-4 days tops, often times less, and I'd guess only about 25% schedule an open house.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I saw a house today that within about 10sec went from me being sure I would put in an offer at $5k over asking, to completely losing interest, thanks to the extremely obvious signs that the owner/occupant of the last 10 years or more has a 3 pack a day smoking habit. They pulled up all the carpet and painted every surface, but oh my god the smell. That and the disgusting black grime in every crack and crevice. I touched a kitchen light switch and it was sticky. Ew ew ew.

The market is insane here so this will probably still sell, in two weeks instead of two days, but goddamn. I've been looking for what feels like forever but somehow this is my first smoker house.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My agent told me potentially I'd never get the smell out without doing a full gut, but I imagine the bare minimum I'd need to do if I were interested would be:

-Have the house professionally deep cleaned
-Replace the furnace (it looks original to the house anyway so is 23yrs old)
-Get all duct work professionally cleaned
-Replace every switch, outlet, wall fixture
-Pull up all the carpet
-Kilz on every painted surface, then a fresh top coat of paint
-Paint over all the wood trim in the entire house along with the wood kitchen and bathroom cabinets with Kilz, and fresh paint

Probably $20k worth of stuff before I could even move in. The house as-is has a lot of other things that need to be done to it and frankly is >$10k overpriced for the location even if it were perfect.

While compiling the list above I've learned this is called "third hand smoke" and without gutting all the drywall you are basically putting yourself in a home that will be leeching out all kinds of horrific chemicals from the drywall for years to come which can "increase cancer risk and also trigger asthma attacks and eye, lung and throat irritation." Awesome!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just had a offer rejected, and I can't tell if I feel nothing because the depression hasn't hit yet, or because I was truly successful at not becoming emotionally attached this time.

House went under contract in less than three days so at least I didn't have to wait too long to learn the outcome. :emo:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Last home I put an offer on I went $5k over, but was beat out by someone who went $10k over. I'm now about a month away from giving up on my home search and moving to an apartment in town (currently living with family). It really sucks and basically feels like a personal failure, at the same time I'm not gonna buy some shithole with a 45min commute just to settle. People I know ask me how the search is going, and when I answer they try to be supportive by giving what they think are helpful suggestions, and I feel like the most obnoxious picky babby for not wanting to buy a tri-level or live in this one particular kind-of-ok-but-not-really-great neighborhood. Arghhh.

/en

Seriously tho is there anyone in this thread who likes split-levels? I do not understand why they exist.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

marchantia posted:

We have a tri level and love it. We get a big finished basement with a walk out, still have tons of unfinished basement space for storage, and I can hear the bedrooms from the kitchen since it's only up four stairs. That said, we ruled out traditional split level where you walk in the house and either have to go up or down to get to a room from the landing because it's a pain in the rear end with kids and dogs.

I would probably be into it if the split levels around here had any unfinished basement space to speak of besides a maybe 10'x10' space for the mechanicals and washer/dryer. I need a basement so I can have a space to store all the crap I don't want to look at, sticking that into finished basement space which is visible from the dining room is dumb and bad.

They almost all look like this:

Rooms off to the right in the "basement" include a bathroom and the laundry/furnace area.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mr. Powers posted:

At least around here they put actual annual taxes on listings. I did see one house that had taxes unreasonably low listed ($6600 on $399k ask) so I looked at the tax card and it turns out the town was not aware of the four car garage added three years ago. This year's tax bill (which hasn't yet been paid) is $7800.

I saw a house over the weekend that checks almost every box, is in a great location, needs a little TLC but has a lot of charm, etc etc. Got my broker to send me a quote and the monthly payment is right at about the top of what I was hoping to spend. Kind of a lot, but I was talking myself into it. Then I realized that estimate was using the current taxes, which are based on a taxable value $60k less than what the house is listed at ($120k vs $180k). That $60k increase translates to a >$3k increase in taxes a year and looks like I'm going to have to walk away from this place. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mr. Powers posted:

Do they adjust assessments based on sale price in your municipality? Around here they adjust if the property changes in some way (like adding a 4 car garage) or every 10 years when they reassess everyone. It keeps some houses from getting updated assessments out of sequence with all the other property and then carrying a disproportionate share.

They are supposed to be doing it every single year, based on the State Equalized Value (SEV, which is 50% of the market value of the property+house). Home values in this area have been increasing 10%+ year over year for the last 6-7 years, and I don't think the city tax assessors are keeping up. A sale almost always triggers a new, higher tax assessment based on the sale price. In this case if the house sells for $180k or more, I'm looking at a 66.64mils x 90=$5997.60/yr in property taxes. This is just kind of a guess, it could end up a bit lower or a bit higher than this.