Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I'm under contract with a house and I'm wondering if my mortgage lender is being straight with me. I locked in a rate last week and then we started hearing stuff about how mortgage rates are dropping from Freddie Mac. He's been generally good with us but if course a slightly lower rate saves a lot of money. When is it too late to see what the other rates out there are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Bucnasti posted:

Some of them won't even schedule a viewing without you first making an offer

Run far away

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

El Mero Mero posted:

Also, family house that sold under a ridiculous offer of a 14 day close, surprisingly, did not close today (the 14th day) and got punted to Monday.

Is a 14 day close possible without an actual all cash offer? (And not just waived financing?)

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Big McHuge posted:

We've been pretty skittish towards the idea of doing an appraisal guarantee. As first time buyers, it's a bit uncomfortable having to look at putting less down on a mortgage. And while we're not buying as an investment, I still feel like it's putting a potentially large chunk of money out there that isn't going directly into equity. Our REA, whom we can't fire, is starting to get a little annoyed with us and sent us the following text this afternoon:

I feel like that whole renting vs buying myth has been debunked in this thread before, but am I so out of line in not wanting to offer an unlimited appraisal guarantee even in this market? Is his friend just not a good financial advisor? Are *we* the baddies?

Are you really really sure you can't fire that agent?

Of course all REAs are snakes, but if they are directing their snakiness towards you at you in this way at this point in the process (obviously trying to manipulate you into making what they must know are poor financial decisions), how comfortable are you going to be when the paperwork and extra costs start coming fast and furious around closing time?

At least tell me you have a home inspector picked out who didn't get recommended to you by your REA?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

On Terra Firma posted:

With inspectors it's to the agents benefit to hire someone that knows what they're doing to avoid situations like I described in the original post. Some in here think we want an inspector that will ignore problems and move the transaction along and that could not be further from the truth no matter how bad of an agent you are. It's terrible misguided advice. I guess they could ask friends and family who they used, or go and read reviews of people who have used the inspector outside of a real estate transaction. This is just a case of the devil your agent knows vs the devil nobody knows.

To the agents benefit? Do you get paid if the inspector finds an issue that sinks the deal? Or do you have to go back out there busting your hump to maybe find another house that works?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

skipdogg posted:

Dude just be happy the house sold and you can move into your next home.

The circle of life...

Before: it just personally offends me to pay so much money to landlords

After: The bank gets to pocket how much from me every year for the next 30 years?!?!

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 6, 2021

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bay Area goons, come buy my house!!! Seriously hurry, property taxes are due soon!!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/26201-Catharine-Ct-Los-Altos-Hills-CA-94022/19527541_zpid/

I did an open house and it was a huge mistake. Wall-to-wall packed, and of course some lady tripped on my front steps and made a big scene about getting my realtor's information :thumbsup: I'm sure I'll get a fun letter from her soon

This state sucks rear end!

I guess you decided that sitting on it for a couple years and doing work/paying taxes on it wasn't worth the income tax considerations with the hot market.

General thread question: how soon is too soon to move on from a house?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
So all cash no contingencies?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The schools my girls are currently going to are rated as 5 or 6 (out of 10) when compared to California schools. That makes them average schools when compared to the outcomes of all CA schools. Yet somehow they have so few teachers that multiple grades are in the same classroom, horrible buildings with decades of deferred maintenance, administrators shared between three different schools so they aren't even reachable for over half the week, no "specials" classes like PE, art, music, etc. etc. The 1 & 2 schools are far worse, but we're talking about the average school here, and it's unacceptable in any other place I've ever lived before.

You can go to great schools in CA (the schools up the hill that serve the gated communities are 9&10s), but you need to pay out the rear end, and basically be the thing that I've basically hated for most of my adult life.

Not to be too obvious, but a school cannot be summed up by a number. And where those numbers come from can be questionable. That said, you are describing real issues in your neighborhood and I have no reason to doubt your descriptions.

I would say though to beware committing to the pay out the rear end gated community/school. After all the struggle, your kids might not like the school. If you're going to spend yourself house poor, they might get looked down on if they can't do all the cool stuff their classmates can do.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like you're running into issues with the school specifically yet. If you can manage right now in the house you bought at 2018 prices, could you save up enough for private school when/in case the schools become a problem?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Anonymous Zebra posted:

my daughters are telling me their stories, and I can clearly see an objective difference between what they should be learning and what they are learning

Ok, that's all you needed to say.

I commented only because I only saw number scores and bits about the school buildings being in bad condition. I am glad to hear that you're not making big money decisions based on that. I would hope no one would but... Thread title.

If the schools are already starting to become a problem then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck, and hopefully the next guy will be sold on the historic downtown same as you were in 2018.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 6, 2021

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Ornery and Hornery posted:

*sitting in a rocking chair on a saloon porch*

Any day now the housing market will crash and I’ll be able to afford a home.

Any day now.

*more rocking*

Rented saloon porch?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
First I've heard of it. Is it a budget real estate agency like Clever or something else?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
By papers do you mean marriage license?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Hadlock posted:

Oh wow, we're still doing the rent vs buy argument, even in the era of full thread search :allears:

Thanks for linking to the rent vs buy calculator, I've literally never heard of that before

In fairness, the OP of this thread dates to the immediate aftermath of the financial crisis in 2009.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
There was late night speculation here the thread could do without

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 3, 2021

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I think the landscape has definitely changed. In 2009 unemployment started at 7.8% in January, hit a peak of 10% in October and stayed in that range until the end of the year. In 2021, unemployment started at 6.3% in January and has been steadily going down. In 2009 there were many fewer people who could entertain the idea of buying a house and the ones who could were more skittish about possibly going underwater with one of these crummy houses that had been built in the boom of the previous years. In 2010-2019 there were roughly half as many houses built as in the previous decade.

Anyway I'd been thinking of updating the thread to say that I'm out from under the house I bought last year. I did not make a profit, but it was less of a loss than it would have been if I'd tried to walk away before signing and lost the earnest money with nothing to show for it. Also probably less than if I'd done another year of maintenance and tax payments before trying to sell. And I'm certainly in a better financial situation than I would have been if I'd tried to stay there - without a child I'd be fine, but childcare costs on top of the other house crap would have put me slightly over budget. I could have maybe managed but... Yeah.

As a final kick in the balls, I was recently reading some back mail from the bank, and the payment I'd have to make if closing hadn't killed it off would have been $200/ month more because of a stupid escrow reassessment (there's no way it should have been more than $85 more per month).

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 21, 2021

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

:thunk:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Yes. Getting a normal real estate agent charging 3 percent in a hot urban market is insanity. There is nothing an agent can do to add that much value to a sale of a NYC condo that has people beating down the door to look at it.

But there are things that a budget agent like clever or redfin can do that you might like. And in a slower market with fewer buyers and sellers at a lower cost a conventional agent might still be worth it as well.

Most importantly, they are used to all the paperwork that needs to be done. They might well screw it up, but they probably know who they need to kiss up to downtown to make sure it all goes through.

They also insulate you from potential buyers/sellers/agents, which is good for your mental health.

Oh yeah, and all the pictures and stuff.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

hattersmad posted:

Not wrong, and I’ve replaced a disposal before. It’s more that I want to take a bit of a break by having someone else do something. Maybe I get motivated and DIY that, too.

Although it might in principle be easy, I'm not going to look down at someone for declining to do anything with their garbage disposal with their own two hands.

Mixing electrical work with plumbing work and adding sharp objects is something I'd feel just fine leaving to a professional.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah, you have literally no idea if the buyers are credit-worthy or not. Unless they're submitting a pre-approval letter with the offer, they could be wildly unqualified and not even know it.

Even a pre-approval letter might not mean a whole lot. It may also be confused with a pre-qualification, which is even less stringent.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/mortgages/pre-qualified-vs-preapproved

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

BonerGhost posted:

You don't want to co-own a house with a couple, let alone an unmarried couple. What happens if they break up or move for work? You'll have to buy them out, and if you don't have the cash, you'll have to sell the house to get it. You'd need a lawyer to work out each person's share of ownership and equity.

No one can even speculate on whether you can maybe afford it unless they know your income.

Owning a house is horrible. You'll pay in money, and in time and frustration. Don't do it unless it's something you want to do, and especially don't do it with someone you're not married to. Divorce is a built in asset divider. Breakups and falling outs don't have that.

Stick this reply in the op!

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Saint Celestine posted:

We waived during the offer because our realtor advised that if we had an inspection contingency, we would most likely lose out to someone who waived it.

Then during approval, we reviewed all the inspection reports done during construction, one of which was a plumbing sign off. Our realtor advised that if we wanted to do an inspection, best time would be a few months before the warranty expired.

I just didn't anticipate this shitshow, both literally and figuratively.

I'm sure your realtor is fine with it.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
In fairness, there are some (very stupid) articles out there that claim that before the modern job people had so much more time to themselves because :shrug:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Motronic posted:

If you're unable or unwilling to educate yourself then you better pick the right home inspector and ask questions. The right inspector is rarely one recommended by your realtor.

I know people who are interested in buying homes and I would love to tell them how to find the right home inspector. Unfortunately I have no idea how I would do that.

I know to tell them not to go with the one recommended by the realtor, but that's more of a tip to not pick the wrong one. I occasionally hear people say to use a contractor because they'll know what it's actually going to cost to fix what needs to be fixed but good luck with finding a good contractor who's free right now.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Who did you bastards get as real estate agents that you got a home warranty? We got a hundred dollar gift card and two mugs.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I saw some claims you weren't supposed to put appliances on top of LVP

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Only a thousand?

Edit:

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 24, 2022

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

jaffyjaffy posted:

This is my big fear with buying a non-SFH.
Also I'm seriously considering the intangibles of actually buying in this market where in most cases my PITI would be a few hundred above what I'm currently paying at an already expensive apartment. I know the usual rule is a mortgage (+/- HoA) should be cheaper than rent for it to be feasible, but my current place is basically offering me $50ish more than I'm paying now if I resign for next year and it is very very tempting, especially considering my sister's place in a different state upped her rent a few hundred this year. Not to mention the future with work from home and whatnot with work and general job security in what is likely going to be a recession soon (ie: if I got laid off I might just move closer to family a few hours away, out of state).

Effectively I need to think about what my reasons for wanting to buy are, since its definitely not a "need". As a single dude with no kids an apartment suits me just fine.

I also get that this isn't really a problem that anyone can give concrete advice on since its mostly just me venting, but still.

This can totally happen with SFH's as well. I know of one that sold last summer, looks great, great location, great schools... Sold for 2.5 percent more in summer 2021 than winter 2014.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

El Mero Mero posted:

Eh, this is a bit overly obtuse. I think regardless of your environment there are still the classics:

• Understand why you want to buy first and foremost. If the answer is "to make money" or "to not miss the market" then you need to stop.
  • Consider the FULL cost of ownership when buying, not just financing costs and taxes. Repairs, transaction costs, insurance, utilities, etc etc. The top of your range should be inclusive of these costs, otherwise you can end up in a house you can't afford to maintain.
  • Don't look at how much house you can buy, or can be qualified by a bank to buy, but rather how much house you need.
  • Houses tie you to a local job market and a geography. If that market changes and you get laid off will you still be okay (don't assume you can sell at a profit and move)?
  • Don't time the market (read that post 3-4 pages back.)
  • You may discover that every single professional involved in the transaction seems deeply stupid, misrepresents, doesn't fully disclose, makes mistakes and is disorganized. Yes. You're the only one that ultimately has to live with the consequences.

This is a very good post.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

kreeningsons posted:

The agent (our agent) said it would run 10k. Which I thought was a really low estimate.

I would definitely want to make those changes before selling. And (at this point, but that could change) I don't anticipate owning the place for more than 15 years, so I would probably want to sell in the future.

This would really make me wonder about firing the agent. Has it been possible to install a bathroom for a master bedroom (with all that means for the fixtures etc) at the $10k price point at any point in the last 20 years?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

slurm posted:

Fuckin closing tomorrow and the zestimate dropped some today, ugh. I hope I didn't FOMO in at peak, I didn't really need to change my living situation, I just wanted a house for house's sake

The Zestimate's daily price means nothing

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
In case anyone feels like dunking on appraisers again

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/19/us/black-couple-home-appraisal-lawsuit-reaj/index.html

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Wanted to share a note that got sent to an older couple I know in a toney neighborhood with baked goods and cute kid pictures. Reads at first like general overenthusiastic neighbor stuff until ...

quote:

Good afternoon!

We are very excited to move into the neighborhood right behind you at -snip-

I wanted to reach out personally to you to talk about two things

1. -Some general maintenance stuff, blah blah blah we have a dog-

2. If at any point you are considering moving or selling this home, we would be extremely interested in buying it as is and with minimal hassle on your part. Our goal is to own an adjacent lot to expand and have a place for my parents to move into. It would be a dream scenario and we are willing to do whatever is required to make it happen including

a. Covering closing costs

b A clean, all cash, non-contingent above market offer

c. Saving you the work of cleaning, staging and marketing the home

d. Giving you the timeframe and flexibility you need to make any arrangements. We would be flexible in whatever ways are helpful.

If this piques your interest at all, please let me know. Even if it's something that could happen years down the line, we would love for you to keep us in mind. Most importantly: We look forward to meeting you in person about the neighborhood. Keep an eye out for our dog, -snip-, -snip- and -snip-. They are little trouble makers.

Great way to make a first impression.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Hotel Kpro posted:

42 days on the market and 25% off the list price but finally got an offer on my house. Probably gonna go back to renting for a bit

How long have you owned it?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Dik Hz posted:

I would let one 14 year old use a table saw. I would not let a pack of 20 14-year olds use a table saw.

Lol, what rich rear end public high school are you at where the class size is actually 20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Promontory posted:

I was looking to buy an apartment (within an HOA) and had an offer accepted for 5k under the list price. The inspection revealed that the bathroom was not up to code (having been "updated" without any approvals by a previous owner) and would have to be fixed. I wasn't willing to deal with that and walked.

Now, however, the realtor contacted me saying that the seller is offering to have the renovation done in exchange for list price. They supposedly have contacts in construction and could get a buddy price. The realtor is describing this as a bathroom renovation at a discount but I am feeling skeptical. My concern is that even if the repairs would be approved and overseen by the HOA, the result would be a bare-minimum job to close the deal.

Could this actually be a good offer or should I listen to my gut?

It will be a bare minimum job to close the deal and bring it up to code, but it will likely be a discount compared to what you as Joe schmo moving in could manage. Very few bathroom renovations are only $5k.

How much did you like the rest of the house? Did you like it enough to change that one bathroom to a barebones builder grade bathroom, wait a bunch of time, and pay the relatively bargain price of $5k for the trouble?