Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Arbitration is Court-Light, with summary proceedings, relaxed rules of procedure, evidence, trial, discovery, etc. The main reason lay people (pro se/pro per) get steamrolled in Court is because they don't know all the procedural pitfalls that can cause you to lose a case "on a technicality" or keep you from introducing important evidence.

In an arbitration proceeding, like in Justice Court (JP Court/Small Claims Court), many of those advantages for a lawyer are eroded, and rendered less effective, somewhat evening the playing field. On top of that, mediation is a fraction of the cost of full on litigation, which, again, helps people who can't afford their own lawyer. In particular, this guy's situation is unique because his hypothetical 'opponent' wouldn't even have to pay attorneys fees to money whip him since he could donate his time to himself, essentially.

Arbitriation is much shorter, has less discovery, and goes before an Arbitrator who may or may not be a former Judge who may care more about figuring out the underlying truth over simply ruling on who got procedural questions right. (Fun Fact: Judge Judy is an arbitrator!) This is why arbitration is better than real Court for lay people.

To add to this, the reason arbitration is usually bad for consumers is because the arbiters are generally essentially reliant on the company in question for their work, so there is an inherent conflict of interest. That probably isnt the case here (though the attorney may have the advantage of knowing or knowing about the arbiter in question).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Hello thread, thinking of trying to buy a home in the Bay Area (:shepicide:). Currently renting here.

We've DINKed up and we've been saving for years so we can theoretically plop down roughly the entirety of our earthly possessions on the table as a down payment but good god is the market grim.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 6, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Anyone have any experience with this lender called "Guaranteed Rate, Inc."? It looks like theyre legit but any goon input is welcome. Just shopping around on rates and they claim to offer the best deal.

I'm sure this stuff has been mentioned 10,000 times but I'm a complete noob here and I couldn't bring myself to read further back than GGGC's prenup posts (and the ancient OP itself), thanks.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Verman posted:

Welp put an offer on a house we really liked in Shoreline (suburb just north of Seattle) for $600, we offered $700k, waived inspection since it came with a thorough inspection and all issues were addressed. Last night only 1 offer on the table but offers were due at 10am.

19 0ffers.

Top offers waived literally every contingency and went over $800k.

Well fuuuuuuuuuuck me.

I knew it would be bad when the prospective buyers coming out of the house as we went in were driving a tesla, as were the next two couples after us. Seriously I'm going through several layers of grief in this house buying process. I'm sad, angry, confused ... this poo poo is awful and buying a house is for suckers. Wealthy suckers.

Man I really hate this country.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Motronic posted:

Yeah, seriously. Teslas are middle-class-gadget-obsessed bait, particularly on the west coast.

The richest people I know personally only drive Teslas and advised us that "there are still good deals in the $5 million plus range" for houses. They're the kind of people who hire a home IV bag service when they're too hungover from partying. Nouveau riche types love this poo poo.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

You'd probably get NIMBYd out of existence, but rather than dump a million bucks into the renovation, can you subdivide the lot and build four mcmansions on the land? And/or build a 8 plex condo on the land instead. Building four x $3mm mcmansions seems more profitable than flipping one $6.5mm house in poor repair

Now that you have the title you shouldn't have any trouble getting private financing to hold on to the property for 24 months

In the rich hills around Palo Alto? You would quite literally be killed if you try to upzone a single-home residential property. VC guys with $5,000 cycling outfits would spawn just out of eyeshot like Oblivion guards and swarm you en masse then beat you to death with their $25,000 bicycles.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 8, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The craziest thing is knowing enough about the housing market, time value of money, etc. etc. in your early twenties or whatever it was to swindle some boomers who just bought a $1 million dollar house out of $3 million AND having the wherewithal to actually get that contract signed. I mean having $200,000 on hand at the right time to get that deal done is obviously enormously unbelievably fortunate on its own but the process stuff is wild to me.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

They were swindling him up until recently. Think if the contract had come due in 2008.

Probably would have been a wash at worst in that area.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I just wanted to own my childhood home, and was complaining to my best buddy that I'd never be able to afford it. He works in finance, gave me the idea and said, "the worst that could happen is they say no!". When they countered my $160k with $200k, he told me to sign immediately and chipped in the other $40k. And did the paperwork. And did it so cleanly that they couldn't fight us in court. I really owe him!

He assured me it was a great plan. My only plan was "I want my childhood home and California is the greatest place on earth so I bet it works out"

Good god 9 times out of 10 this type of story ends up resulting in primo content for the BWM thread. I guess it still kinda did, just for the other side. drat.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
What sort of interest rates are people seeing for Bay Area-sized (:shepicide:) jumbo loans?

I just got my first pre-approval letter for 3.0% after uploading an entire ream of documents and want to see what's out there.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Alright house thread, what's up with this house?

My partner and I both think it's pretty solid, ticks pretty much all of our boxes... but it's been on Redfin/Zillow for ~50 days, which makes us :thunk: a bit. The photos don't really have anything jump out to my untrained eye. My only guess is because it's technically in Fitchburg? :shrug:

We fired our first real estate agent and are on to the second one, and she hooked us up with the county assessor's website and it's fuckin awesoooooome. Being able to see an aerial view of the property lines is.. way cooler than I anticipated :bubblewoop:

I'm totally unqualified to give any advice as to pricing and what not but I get strong grover house vibes from those windows and that siding. Not suggesting that it's shoddy construction, but the aesthetics could be driving people away.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Man this thread is stoking some anxiety now. Am I FOMOing into the market at the worst possible time? Why not rent longer while rent is so low?

Augh

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Man I could get a really nice, brand new, upgraded upper unit 3-bedroom condo with a private garage located right on top of actual transit for the same price as a really, really lovely 60 year-old detached house with the shittiest looking kitchen imaginable in the same general area.

But then I might miss out on some of that precious, precious appreciation!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Yeah, but you can’t BBQ in your condo backyard with all your buddies in true American form.

I could BBQ on my rooftop terrace though. But without a lawn I would not be a True Homeowner (tm)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SchnorkIes posted:

How are condo prices tracking with disability/long term care costs? I thought those were tracking above condos but below SFH, so that you can't count on the "good" nursing home or any inheritance or whatever if you're doing a condo

I have no idea about any of the long-term stuff, but based on maybe 20 minutes of reading articles it sounds like COVID is pushing people away from condos and into detached homes in the short term, so condo prices are actually falling in some places.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SchnorkIes posted:

Does a house even sell for more than a lot in the same market?

Yes. Empty lots also take forever to move compared to about thirty seconds for a home. There are millions of people looking to buy even marginally livable homes (whether for their own use or to take advantage of others in that massive throng of buyers) and relatively few looking to actually build a house.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sundae posted:

Okay, looking at that shot, I see what you're talking about. I was confused in part because it's not even on the floorplan. Check it out. VVV

Clearly that master bath is hosting the world's largest toilet. A mighty throne fit for the mightiest of goons.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Getting back to touring some houses again this weekend in the Bay Area.

Full suck ahead

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

We didn’t get the house today, and it’s insane. There were two offers at 1.4M but the sellers didn’t go for it, they selected a lower offer that was a 1031 exchange that’s letting the sellers live in the house at a reduced rent for 2 years lmfao.

Two YEARS??? Good god

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What part? Let's save time & money and work out a little FSBO here :hellyeah:

Mostly Fremont and thereabouts, we do work on the peninsula but the prices out there are, what, devastating? Insane? Something like that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sundae posted:

What sort of lifestyle are you looking for and what's your reasonable (not upper max limit, but reasonable) budget?

Something like a 4-bedroom so we have some home office space and future kid space. Condo, townhome, single family home are all fine. I do have a vague preference for something standalone with a bit of a yard but having looked around some we're strongly considering condos/townhomes now. Looking at places mostly in the $1.5 range or lower. Not looking to buy myself a ton of bonus remodeling/repair/fixer upper poo poo if at all possible. We already work a ton.

It seems like it may come down to a reasonably solid, spacious new build condo versus rolling the dice on a smaller, older, potentially crappy traditional home.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

What's wrong with Santa Clara? As someone who is potentially moving there later this year :ohdear:

Setting aside the obvious price issues it's a really nice place to live unless you demand a big city environment, in which case you can always head up to SF on any given weekend.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tunicate posted:

I rescaled the bars linearly so each would cover the same number of years, instead of having 100+years/20 years / 20 years/20 years/10 years /6 years

The last bar is probably an underestimate compared to a hypothetical 2020 retrospective, since I just linearly scaled it; the economy of late 2010s was better than economy of early 2010s. Still, I think it's more accurate than having bars represent different ranges.

Is this just detached homes?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I'm probably going to borrow over $1 million ($1,000,000) to purchase a condo, and with it, the obligation to pay obscene HOA fees for as long as it remains in my possession. I am also purchasing a longer commute for myself (but it is right by key transit infrastructure, so my fiancee won't have to risk death by car commute due to epilepsy when we return to the office).

It's a really nice condo. It's brand new and has a two-car garage connected directly to the unit, also plenty of space for our home offices. The facilities in the complex are very nice.

I'm still early in the process but the entire thing already feels insane and borderline suicidal. But at least I won't be fighting against 30 young executive types for the right to bid 25% over list price on this one.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

My opinion on condos has softened over the years, a very important step though is to make sure that the association is sane and managing its finances properly. With a new condo association that may not be feasible, so I guess keep your fingers crossed.

We are considering condos and townhouses for our next purchase. Not as nice as a detached sfh, but more affordable in nice areas for sure.

We've requested all the HOA documentation, so ideally we will get a good look beneath the hood on this. It's an enormous complex that has already been around for some time and is maybe 75% of the way built up at this point, so hopefully we won't be totally blind.

It will be a bit sad not to have a yard, but we've been living in apartments for years without issue and the SFHs in our price range are generally 50-80 years old, smaller, in crappier areas, and oftentimes pretty wonky.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Epitope posted:

4) Everyone pretends there is no issue. Everything is perfect, the best. Congratulations, you are now president

:yooge: Working hard, thank you!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Anyone have experience with HoA assessments, builder subsidies, and inevitable rugpulls?

We are being quoted $X/month for HoA assessments for the new build condo we are looking at. That amount is reasonable and fine given the context of the gym, extensive grounds, pool, etc. it goes to maintain. On review, it looks like that $X/month is after applying the subsidy of $Y/month by the builder, which continues through a number of phases until build-out is complete (expected late 2022 or early 2023). At that point, the HoA assessments are anticipated to be spread across many more units, and therefore should theoretically remain relatively level thereafter even without the subsidy.

Obviously, this is all coming from the builder/seller, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

How worried should I be? This is a huge complex in a high CoL area with a name brand builder, if any of that matters. The starting monthly HoA assessment (after subsidy) is roughly 1/10 of what our monthly mortgage payment would be.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 19, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Have it analyzed by a real estate attorney. They should be able to point to what's going to happen better than we can. Is there any accounting being provided to you or do you just think that those services are worth $x00? How much of that is funding the reserve?

Based on the provided documentation a huge portion of the assessments is dedicated to funding the reserve. Is there a specific document I should be requesting to get ongoing/monthly/yearly financials versus forward-looking estimates? The first home in this complex was finished circa 2019, so they've been running for a couple years now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GEMorris posted:

I'm not posting the petty details because honestly it would be boring. But my lender seems to make loving things up their hobby. Thus I feel the need to warn the thread against using LoanLock.

We're using the same big, name brand bank that I have used for decades and the idiot we've been working with has managed to gently caress things up a few times already. But at least their rate seems good.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

tumblr hype man posted:

I’ll just leave this Redfin article about Seattle, here.

https://www.redfin.com/news/seattle-homes-sold-above-list-price/

In the Bay Area I'm hearing $200k-$250k over ask is common now :shepicide:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The condo we're looking at in the Bay Area has HOA fees in the $500-$600 range. But it also has a big gym, central clubhouse with nice spaces that can be reserved, a big pool, 2 spas, and extensive grounds and landscaping, plus if the financial projections are to be trusted much of that is earmarked towards building reserves for big 20/30 year repairs and refits down the road.

I would assume an older townhome with high HOA fees is maybe trying to raise money for scheduled exterior repairs or something.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Alright it's happening, we're actually buying a condo in the Bay Area.

Accordingly, I assume that the real estate market here will now have its first proper crash in ages.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
What's the general consensus on locking in an interest rate for a mortgage on a pending sale?

Context:

We've signed an agreement of sale for a new build condo in the Bay Area that is still under construction, albeit scheduled for an August or September move-in (these are approximate dates). We have a few irons in the old mortgage fire, and one of these lenders is offering us the opportunity to lock in a 2.75% interest rate for "90 days, or 150 days, I can do both it's really the same thing here blah blah..."

The issue is that due to the nature of the purchase (new build still under construction) we do not have a locked in closing date. We really, really hope to wrap this up by sometime in September, but the builder essentially makes no guarantees.

One related question--when dealing with lenders, is it wise to let them know about competitive rates that you already have in hand? E.g., should I tell Online Lenders B and C about the 2.75% interest rate Big Bank A is offering?

This is a big, fat "jumbo" mortgage, if that matters.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The builder is saying they can do a 9/9/21 close. Hopefully our potential lenders can get things done in that timeframe. This would work out amazingly for us, since our lease is up at the start of October.

Oh, and we also have our wedding in October, so it's going to be an insane couple months (we are already legally married, so we are set for purposes of buying property). Now let's throw in a new COVID wave for added drama.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Is there any consensus on preferred/in-house lenders when buying from a big builder? In our case, they are offering a $5,000 incentive to use their lender and sound confident they can match or beat the rates we're getting quoted elsewhere. I just want to make sure we wouldn't be loving ourselves by potentially going with this option.

In this case, it's my understanding that they are majority owned by the builder, so it's essentially a true in-house financing option. The sum of my knowledge on this so far is basically the top five search results on Google.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Thanks. Appreciate the advice from everyone so far.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Looks like mortgage rates may be set to fall a bit more? The 10-year treasury yield fell bigly today.

This may explain why lenders were frantically pushing us to lock in interest rates over the weekend.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Hello intrepid home-buyers.

We are on the cusp of locking up our mortgage rate for our new-build condo. One of our lender options (the in-house lender for the builder) is saying they need an $800 appraisal fee paid within a day of locking the rate. They further claim that this fee would be reimbursed if we were to ultimately go with a different lender. Is this normal? The other lenders we have been working with have not mentioned anything like that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the online lender we're talking to is able to consistently beat both the brick & mortar bank and the builder's in-house lender.

Making them all compete against each other for my business is an amazing feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Big shout-out to Guaranteed Rate for saying they are locking me at a particular rate and reneging the very next day.