Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I just think about the roughly one homeowner a week I talk to and give the extremely unfortunate news that the reason there's no power in your home is due to some issue with the electrical panel and that they need an electrician to fix it. There's your several thousand in repairs for the year right there depending on what has gone wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I'm looking to buy a condo in the Seattle/Bellevue area. I am pretty stupid and will probably be back with more dumb questions but is there any reason I wouldn't want to get an agent to help in my search?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

QuarkJets posted:

Excellent post

Thanks for writing that up! I actually went to some open houses yesterday and had a couple in western Seattle I wanted to look at but man idk. I work and live in Bothell right now, it takes me about 30 minutes to get to downtown Seattle on the weekend and takes about another 30 to get from there to western Seattle right now. If I knew 100% I would be able to work from home the next couple of years I would probably be really tempted to live over there but its kind of uncertain right now.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Epitope posted:

4) Everyone pretends there is no issue. Everything is perfect, the best. Congratulations, you are now president

4b) Its infrastructure week again but for my house and it never ends.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
In theory could they just put down his loan to his mother down as a loan or would that prevent getting a regular mortgage. What about trying to buy with 0 down then taking the money to make an early large payment?

Not saying he should do this of course.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Motronic posted:

How about we stop tap dancing around mortgage fraud?

Ugh, fine, I guess!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Anyone else reach out to Chase for a mortgage? I started an application online with them and a couple of other places that just do mortgages. The other places reached out the next business day but chase hasn't really done anything. I sent a message and called and left a voicemail but still haven't heard anything. Just wondering if that's normal from them.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I'm looking at condos in the Bellevue, WA, area and I don't think I have seen an HOA under 200. Most are between 300 and 400 here but they all seem to include a gym and some common building along with ground maintenance, WSG and often times earthquake insurance. Also common to have a pool and nice green areas.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I found a condo I like, good location and floor plan etc. It has a bad kitchen I will need to redo but the real red flag is the potential asbestos in the drywall, insulation and probably ceiling.

Because it's a condo I don't really plan on taking out walls and can live with the ceiling for a while. Should I still walk away and keep looking?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

QuarkJets posted:

I thought asbestos was just in older popcorn ceilings and sometimes insulation, it can be part of the drywall too? Or do you mean that they sprayed popcorn texture all over the walls, in which case lol

I'm waiting to get a disclosure form which will hopefully shed some light. I went and toured it and the drywall seemed normal. Ceiling was popcorn so I would be surprised if it somehow didn't.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Motronic posted:

I mean....you posted this:

....and you still aren't giving any indication at all of why this would be an asbestos issue. What advice do you expect? Give us something to go on here.

It sounds like you either have more information or a bunch of incorrect assumptions.

It was listed in the resale disclosure certificate one time as like Misc - Asbestos Notice so I asked my realtor about it.

Realtor literally emailed me this:

"Asbestos: because of age of building it is in drywall, insulation, possibly popcorn ceilings. HOA has their discloser, and if you wanted to, you could get it tested for yourself."

So I asked if she could get me that notice and I don't have it yet. Thought I would ask my friends on the SA forums about the wonder material and their experience since I have no experience with it other than mesothelioma commercials.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Motronic posted:

Okay...so you have almost no information.

This is fine and a good caution. Get the right inspectors in and pay for the right tests. This will not be inexpensive, but it's worth it if this is an area where that might be a thing.

There's not much to say until you get results and have what it costs for remediation.

Thanks, I am going to give this another day of thought. Leaning towards putting in an offer with an inspection and test contingency and seeing what happens.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Lacrosse posted:

See this is why I'm having trouble believing people when they say there can't be another housing price crash because 'things are different' with underwriting standards being higher; I can see that banks are making loans to people who can't afford it, and that's not even to speak of these 'we'll make a cash offer on your behalf for a massive fee' companies among other shenanigans. The guy telling me to pay half my income for a dump is one of those people who believe that hoomez can only go up.

I feel like there is just so much money waiting to buy property for investment purposes and so many people who are desperate to own a home that as soon as prices drop a little bit they will quickly buy any available inventory. That being said I'm pretty drat stupid so who knows.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
If you really want to get the seller's attention you need to send them a tiktok about why they should sell to you.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Dik Hz posted:

While I agree with you in general on this topic, I want to point out that posters in this thread aren't typical home buyers/sellers.

Yea I can definitely see a lot of people who had a family and raised kids in a home full of memories deciding to sell to another new family rather than Fuckhead REIT IV LLC even if it's for less.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Asbestos condo offer was countered at 6k more and they didn't want to clean. I countered at 5k more and kept the cleaning demand. Offer is going to expire here in like 20 minutes. That's fine, HOA report that showed up today raised some eyebrows anyway. The sellers can have fun with another 30 days on the market.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Motronic posted:

Asbesto remediation is quantifiable for the most part. If there is an HOA problem that you can tell from a report it could just be the tip of the iceburgassessments.

The resale certificate shows that there is a least a liability of $34,000 per unit in assessments over the next 10 years. Not unexpected for a place that old and easily manageable if it is split somewhat evenly. However I am sure the actual number for the assessments will be much higher.

There is also a good line here "owners are not allowed to harass the employees, or the swans."

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

spf3million posted:

Sellers accepted our offer. Oh poo poo!

Same, but maybe the inspection will find something and I can use the contingency to escape.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Inspection for the condo came back. The water heater is almost old enough to vote, the AC needs serviced and for some reason the bath tub had no water. At least everything else is OK, I guess.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
During inspection we found that the bathtub/shower doesn't work. There's water to other stuff though, so it's just a problem there. It seems hooked up because the spout was wet, but when you turned the knob nothing happens. I asked the seller to fix it and the lock on the sliding glass door which also doesn't work. He offered a $200 credit. I'm really annoyed because I like this place but I already know I am going to be replacing the water heater and servicing the furnace pretty quickly after move in and $200 seems like barely enough to fix the shower if it is an extemely simple fix and doesn't do anything for the door.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

daslog posted:

When I sold my house, the first buyers inspector found a couple of issues. I offered them a 2,000 dollar credit, they declined and said they wanted it fixed. I told them to go screw them selves, fixed all the issues myself for about 100 dollars in materials, and one of the other people that made offers that didn't win in Round 1 bought the house.

Point is that sometimes you have to let small poo poo go when it's a Seller's market.

Yea I mean if he doesn't offer any additional credits I will just say fine and deal but it's a very stupid game of chicken we are playing. If I walk I am out the money for the inspection and have to go back to looking. But he would have to put the place back on the market and could be out thousands in the list price and potentially have it sit on the market another few weeks for another interested buyer to show up and ask for the exact same thing to be fixed.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The place I am buying is going to need a new water heater that I plan to do in a couple months but it also has a furnace system that may need replaced in the next year or so also. My REA suggested I get a home warranty for the first year so that if the furnace does actually die it will be covered. Is this a good idea or are home warranties basically useless and impossible to get payouts from?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Motronic posted:

Maybe and kinda.

Here's the deal: you'll likely be stuck with the cheapest furnace available which will get installed by a handyman with no clue what they are doing. If you really can't afford to replace the furnace in the first year, this is a better alternative than freezing.

I have a gas fireplace in the living room and it's not a big place so I at least have options if it dies. I can afford to replace it but it would leave me with a lower amount of cash than I would like. I'm going to have it serviced shortly after I move in and decide what to do at that point. Thanks guys!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Inner Light posted:

I just bought a place with 15 year old units and am having a local HVAC outfit look over the furnace/AC in a week. Strikes me as maybe/probably a waste of $200, but it should be peace of mind. Maybe yours will keep going for another 10 years :)

Yea that's my hope as well but I am prepared for it to be on its last legs.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I thought appraisers just did an algebra problem where they just try and justify the accepted offer price.

Anyway is it normal to do a final walk through like 5 days before close? I feel like that isn't normal and I want to do it like the day before.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Thanks for the walk through related posts everyone, I should mention the place is completely vacant and has been for a while. I will still reach out to my agent to try and schedule something the day before closing.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
My mortgage, insurance, and hoa are going to be higher than my rent, but I have about the cheapest place possible as a rental. I don't think it will be more than like 3 years before rent will eclipse the regular monthly costs of ownership not to mention the condo I am buying is way nicer than my current apartment. Similar to Verman I am in the Seattle area and I wish I could have bought when I moved here.

Who knows, maybe the market will have another big collapse, but I don't think it will for the PNW. Also I would feel insanely bad if next year costs jumped and outpaced my ability to save so I do admit a little bit of fomo.

Edit: a quick peak at apartments.com it appears that for a place like the one I am buying its basically the same cost to rent one of similar quality/location.

CongoJack fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 9, 2021

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Epitope posted:

Risky and irresponsible is a key pillar of home ownership

Load bearing risk and irresponsulated stairs.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The only things I cannot move on my own with my own car are going to be a couch and a bed. Last time I scheduled a guy to help via Dolly but apparently they can't do residential moves thanks to my pals at the WUTC. Am I going to be better off hiring movers or getting a uhaul and a friend? My new place is about a 10 minute drive from my current place.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

poeticoddity posted:

Is renting a pickup truck from Home Depot or something similar an option?

That would probably work better than a uhaul, I have a home depot nearby but

Dik Hz posted:

Hire professional movers and don't be that guy to your friends. Plus, U-Hauls are kinda scarce right now. Might be tougher to get one than you think.

I'm going to look into this today and see if it makes more sense.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

redreader posted:

We finally got our HOA docs. Looking at the meeting minutes for this year ,It seems 'no property owners were in attendance' each time, and the only punishment or whatever noted is 'some people are delinquent on their HOA fees'.

Does this mean they don't go after all of the small items, or does it not mean that? Would 'this person has painted their place incorrectly' be mentioned in these meetings or not?

In the hoa minutes for the first place I seriously considered (which were incomplete) there was no mentions of individual hoa violations, but the hoa had like 700 members. One thing also not noted in the meeting notes was where they were going to get the like 33 million dollars they needed and when they planned on doing needed maintenance. Very much the place as noted earlier in the thread where the residents and association put off maintenance each year.

The place I ultimately purchased had meeting notes that noted small things like someone who damaged some carpet with some old pumpkins and how one resident had a high water bill. It also listed exactly who was in attendance each meeting. The notes and budget information was much more thorough and the projections they had were professionally done. It was a really big contrast that made me much more confident about the decision I made.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

spwrozek posted:

But association dues and taxes never go up.... and you surely don't pay for the hot water heater when it fails....

Dues and taxes increase by 10%; like $100 a month.

New water heater costs $2500 and lasts 10 years: like $21 a month.

Rent increases by 10%: about $200 a month.

Renting is not throwing your money away at all, it's really nice to have the flexibility and have someone else responsible for maintenance. But that mortgage amount won't change and it's nice to be paying 1800 a month when rent for a similar place is 2000 a month and rising every year.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What the hell? How complicated is that process? It seems crazy to me that, I have to get this process before I know if the whole HOA is underwater.

I put in my offers that it is contingent on an hoa review. The seller sends over the hoa documents and you can look at them yourself or pay someone to review them for you who may know what to look for or at least condense what could be many pages down to just a summary. It sucks to have to go that far to get that information but they usually can get it to you pretty quick and you can also back out quick if it looks bad.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
My agent let the plumber in for a bathroom repair job (I was at work) and paid for it after closing. She also gave me cookies and a home depot gift card.

Edit; I think she felt bad, I feel like I was the easiest client she has ever worked with and it didn't take very long for me to find a place I wanted.

CongoJack fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 20, 2021

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Verman posted:

Taking a million dollar home down $10k in price after 10+ days of no offers. Lol.

I'm betting that they have spent that money in their minds and do not want to let go of any of it.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

The Saucer Hovers posted:

after delaying the initial closing by almost a week because "they lost some documents", lender is now asking for IRS documents that will take 5-10 business days minimum (when the IRS is functioning). theyve never asked for these before now.

did i mention we were evicted so the owner could sell the home out from under us during a pandemic? or that weve been homeless relying on the good will of friends going on two weeks already?

I'm so sorry. My biggest fear when I was buying my place was that I had to give notice like a week before the scheduled closing date. I was so worried some dumb bullshit would happen and I would be end up homeless. It almost did happen but my lender figured it out in time, thank god.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

B-Nasty posted:

I didn't place as much emphasis on natural gas service, unfortunately in retrospect. I'm about 500ft from a main gas line, yet the gas provider wants $30,000 and the commitment of me and 13 of my neighbors (at that same price) to extend into our neighborhood. It would've been much easier for them to just tell me to 'gently caress off' instead of proposing a cost that wouldn't make sense economically for hundreds of years.

The fun part is that it costs even more than that because you would have to plumb the house and get the appliances. If they are the sole gas provider they probably have to provide you a quote and what they told you sounds like the "gently caress off" price.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
My sister is building a house in Idaho, I will let you know how it goes. Just give me like a few years and it should be done.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Duck and Cover posted:

An optimist I see!

The real optimist is her husband who thinks it will be done by next summer. They have the land but it still needs to cleared of vegetation and they don't have any plans or a builder yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The place I bought was a Redfin one but they were just the agents for the actual seller in my case. Not sure if Zillow does the same thing.