Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I'm finding it hard to commit to buying what would be my first home on my own. I'm currently renting a shared 2BR1BA with 1 roommate and pay ~$700/mo for my half.

I'd like to live without a roommate and build equity. However, from doing the basic calculations, I estimate I'd spend $75-100K more over 10 years, assuming I sold the house after 10 years, versus renting over that time. My estimate is derived heavily from the NYT buy vs rent calc which includes an optimistic 3%/year home appreciation rate.

Right now I'm trying to convince myself if the non-economic benefits of buying would be worth $75-100K over 10 years. If the answer is yes, buying would be pretty clear, but it's a hard question for me personally. Were any of you single income buyers? How did you come to make the decision?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Good thoughts so far. Here's the NYT calculator: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/buy-rent-calculator.html

H110Hawk posted:

That is the value you're placing on living alone, more or less.

LLSix posted:

A roommate/renter would bring in 84k over 10 years assuming the same rent you're currently paying. Looks like the main cost here is wanting to live alone. I guess it depends on how much value you place on that.

I'm not familiar with that calc, but remember that as a home owner you're accepting a lot of risk and will be paying for repairs and upgrades.

Yes, both of you are right for sure. Trying to decide if it's worth it... leaning towards yes.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm looking at the NY calculator and trying to figure out at what point renting makes less sense than buying. I set the calculator to say this:

which is roughly what my apartments have been monthly so far. Does that mean this is the equivalent home price I'm paying for infinitely, and that's the price of the house I might as well have bought?

I'm trying to wrap my head around how all this poo poo works, and it's not really sticking so far.

The rent vs buy decision has been complicated for me, and there are a number of ways to use the calculator. What I did:

1. Set the 'staying for this long' slider to 10 years
2. Set the home price to a reasonably priced home I would be interested in buying, in an area I like. For me this was around $400K. Then, look at the total 'buy' costs on the right.
3. Move the home price to get a "lower than this rent" that is equal to my current rent. Now, look at the total 'rent' costs on the right.
4. Compare the two totals. The difference for my situation is roughly $80-100K.

Does that make sense or is it cockamamy?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 14, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Pollyanna posted:

I think so? That's basically what I'm doing. But I don't think that's actually correct.

Most apartments around my area are 2k~2.2k per month to rent. According to NYT, that is equivalent to a 15-year mortgage on a $710,000 house. That sounds wildly incorrect to me: $2200 / month * 12 months/year * 15 years = $396,000. Not even slightly close to $710k.

Personally, I'm not seeing where it's wildly incorrect unless you can explain more? It's possible I'm misunderstanding.

Keep in mind the totals on the right are talking about total costs after 10 years, assuming you sold the house. Opportunity costs are about $100K greater in your example with the buy option vs. renting due to the differences in appreciation of home prices vs. equities.

Basically it's asserting that you could buy a house UP TO $700ish K without spending more over 10 years, dependent of course on a butt ton of factors.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 14, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Pollyanna posted:

But my goal isn't to use the house as a financial vehicle or investment, it's to have a place to live in where I don't have to worry about constantly paying rent and not having to depend on dipshits to make repairs or let me keep just one cat. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about people using houses as a way to make money and then getting beefed circa 2008 (e.g. my parents, to an extent). If I'm just trying to live, am I opening myself up to that same bullshit?

There's a lot going on in your post, that's all I have to say. You're gonna have to constantly worry about paying rent or a mortgage every month unless you have a few hundred thousand Washingtons ready to spend.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The high yield savings accounts people are talking about are (almost?) always online-only banks with no retail locations. The two most famous are Ally (formerly GMAC) and Marcus (Goldman Sachs).

The advantage is you earn roughly 1.6% interest vs less than 0.05%. The disadvantage is it usually takes 2-5 days to withdraw money, and you’re limited to six withdrawals per month before paying fees. Ally also offers a checking account so theoretically all your money can be instantly accessible.

So if it’s “emergency funds” but you don’t think you’ll need the money within a week or so, there’s not much reason to leave them in your local bank.

This is all correct, except the limit of 6 withdrawals / month is a federal law applicable to all savings accounts, not only the online guys.

Interestingly it's to help assure solvency of the bank. https://www.investopedia.com/this-government-regulation-restricts-how-often-you-can-move-money-out-of-your-savings-account-4589978

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 16, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

As my Redfin lurking is heating up, how do you all feel about HOA fees? Condos can be a good deal where I am but if the building is decently nice it seems like $500/mo HOA is not uncommon and if it's a large elevator building I'm seeing around $800/mo. That's tough to bite.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Read as much of this topic as I could, put in my first offer on a home today. Wish this lurker luck.

Good luck!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

H110Hawk posted:

Elevator phone contracts are a life safety thing, so it's the 24/7 monitoring that ostensibly drives the cost up. You're supposed to test them all the time as well. Plus it's a specialty thing, so they're probably getting taken for a bit of a ride.

Low HOA fees are generally a bad sign. You want a well funded and well run HOA to prevent special assessments when things break. You want them to be able to afford to do all the things Hadlock mentioned in their post. Large buildings will have full time staff, plus you need service contracts on all the major equipment (HVAC and Elevator are 2 examples.) You want them to be able to afford to replace the high traffic flooring with new high traffic rated flooring, or a new roof when the time comes.

The HOA fee should have a downward effect on price, but if it's been well run over the years it's all "priced in" so to say and likely a net positive to the actual TCO of owning the place. You will pay a 10% discount compared to your "low hoa" neighbor, but you will also sell it for a 10% discount so who cares? Your low hoa neighbor is playing a game of hot potato with deferred maintenance.

Great info, thanks. My next question is where do you draw the line for HOA fees? I assume the natural answer is “depends on what you can afford”, but at what point does a monthly payment with HOA I can afford become excessive (e.g. $800+ /mo)? Should I evaluate the HOA docs to ensure the money isn’t being misused, like a $300k property manager salary?

Side question, does the thread feel like 1BR condos are significantly higher risk vs 2BR when it comes to appreciation or selling time?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

This is so stupid... bank offering me 3.5% rate at 30 years, with 10% down if I borrow 900k and fuckin 5% down if I can get it under 550ish so it's not a jumbo.

Just a shame that it's extremely slim pickins in the middle of winter here in Boston. Investment companies are snapping up everything from the looks of it.

Why is that stupid? To me seems like a fairly straightforward and expected offer for an applicant with excellent credit history. Banks will make well over $100k off your loan, why would they not be motivated to sell?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

Sorry I meant stupidly good compared to what I'm used to hearing. The 5/10% down is insanely good for me as I own 4 units already and this will probably be a duplex that I'll partially rent to try and break even on the mortgage.

But also stupid because the mortgage offer is so great but the selection here is so poor.

Since you seem to be experienced with this sort of thing, I have a question. I've been considering a 2/2 condo for around $300k or 400k and 20% down. I live with a roommate now, not having one would be nice.

If I really stretch the monthly payment to the max I can comfortably afford without a tenant, a bank would probably lend enough for me to purchase a $600k duplex with 10% down. Then I'd live in half the duplex, rent the other.

Does that scenario sound reasonable? Also, this would be my first home purchase. I haven't run it by my realtor just yet. I assume there's no landlord thread anymore so this is my best bet.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

Ah, I was getting confused because I thought that was what he was asking me about.

So you're thinking of forgoing the 2/2 condo and just getting a duplex instead?

If you can afford a duplex with the 600k, the underwriter will probably want to see that you can afford it if half the place remains vacant. My rental incomes are considered but that's because I've had them all for at least a year so they show on my tax returns.

In practice you'll need to be sure that you can afford having half vacant for a long stretch without going bankrupt. You'll need some reserves in case of an expensive repair like a leaky roof, or if you math it out and decide renovating the kitchen or bathroom would be a good ROI. In my area the houses have pre-existing lead which is a huge pain in the rear end only if you rent to a family with kids under 6 and they decide to gently caress you on it.

One of my places has a smaller first floor apt, with the second floor having a finished attic that has 3 more beds and a second bath. That lets me rent the upper half for enough that it almost breaks even on my mortgage. I had it rented for a year straight but suddenly I'm having trouble getting it rerented (been vacant 6 months months now, I turned down a really shady family that was willing and the rest have been lookey-loos). If you'd be sweating bullets losing over 3k / month then it might not be the plan for you. You might also check to see if the basement can be finished. Even if it is only zoned for 2 units, you could finish the basement, live in that yourself or use as an "in-law apartment" so you're not ratted out and can earn extra rental income in a pinch.

edit:

Where it gets real sweet is after you've been renting the duplex for a couple years, you can buy a second house and keep renting the first, using the historic income and expected income from the soon to be vacant second unit in order to qualify for the next place you buy. That's how I'm doing it, Monopoly Style.

Good info, thanks. Maybe not for me since I would not want to stomach paying full mortgage for half the year, which seems very possible. At what point do you consider lowering the rent you're offering with a 6 month vacancy, or has that already been your strategy?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This is a pretty specific question.. I'm using the Redfin iPhone app and I can't for the life of me get it to stop showing completed/sold non-active listings on the map. I have it set to show only active listings, but it ignores the setting and completed listings still flood the map. Am I missing something?

e: Nevermind, fixed it somehow. Still kinda buggy.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 26, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

EdEddnEddy posted:

Where is the difference coming from when looking up Mortgage rates, I find a handful of Online/Digital only ones that are as low as 3.2~% for 30 year, and then you get to normal mortgage companies/banks that are all the way up to 3.9%.

Our mortgage broker seems to be lumping everything into the estimate and we are getting a 3.75% rate which compared to all the other places we have looked with physical locations, is better, but then you see those online offers and have to pause for a second. Is it because they only offer the Mortgage itself and nothing else, are going to sell you loan immediately once its closed, etc?

I am also curious about this. I'm seeing the exact same thing, 3.75 for traditional or large online focused lenders (Bank of America and Guaranteed Rate, specifically), then ~3.2 for no-name online lenders. Is it worth it to go with the bigger guys? My gut feeling says yes.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sundae posted:

Fun of the day:

8 Bed, 7 Bath, $1.43M. (Bay area, sounds too good to be true. Outside my price range, but I can smell a trainwreck from a mile away now so I'm checking this out.)

Top floor is a 2BR unit, which is the part the buyer gets to live in. Where are the other six? They're divided among five different apartments on the first and second floors, four of which are occupied. Oh good, you have tenants paying your mortgage! Investment! Free money! Get in and buy now now now!

*checks photos.* Top floor looks nice. Others look shady. *checks tenants* All are college students. Not ideal, but hey.

Last line of the MLS comments: Note: Property is recorded as SFH with the county. Subdivisions may not be up to code or permitted. Buyer to verify all permits after purchasing. :wtc:

Theeeere it is, the inevitable disasterpiece of any hilariously under-market listing. Illegal tenants in unpermitted apartments that the owner probably can't force out, but who could (if they know the apartments are illegal) make his life a living hell all the same. SIGN ME THE gently caress UP. *pays more than most people's lifetime earnings*

I'd love to see this listing lol.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

H110Hawk posted:

They should have signed you up for some awful MLS automailer with daily updates.

God that email is total trash. It seems it's not been updated since 1990 and lacks even the most basic of Redfin or Zillow stuff.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Why would you ever want to consider that house even if the seller 'addresses' the issues lmao

Is there one house in that town and this is it? I mean maybe accept it if the house is $50k

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sundae posted:

(In the disclosures, multiple members of the family had died of natural causes in various rooms of the house. Not like "built on top of their graves" or anything, but still.)

This is nuts. Is that a standard disclosure??

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

You're saying higher condo fee is better to you?

I also think this man is insane but yes I have heard that often, people get bothered when a HOA appears too low.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

silvergoose posted:

We had that...maybe not salt water though? No idea. We priced "demolish the inground pool" into our offer. gently caress pools.

Is it common to want to remove a pool that already exists for new homeowners? Haven't seen that before, what was the cost?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Wasn't this thread against leasebacks? :v:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

My uneducated guess if that most buyers don't notice or care, consciously, about the difference. However I imagine fisheye helps sell a lot more houses vs. non-fisheye. Kind of a funny dichotomy.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Dik Hz posted:

I think the most important thing is to not buy insurance from a company's who's biggest expense is advertising. GEICO had good customer service but was very stingy. Progressive sucked poo poo in every way possible. Terrible company. I've been with Amica for a decade for car, homeowner's, and renter's, and they've been great. I'd totally do USAA if I could qualify for their good tiers.

I don't own a house but Geico was the cheapest quote by quite a bit for auto so that's who I went with, Gecko be damned. That is entirely local market and actuarial history dependent though.

Also helps me put a few more bucks in Warren Buffet's pocketbook, so that's always nice.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Bi-la kaifa posted:

My partner did a 180 after her father poked around the neighbourhood and said he didn't like all the low income housing, so we're not looking at it anymore.

You going to push back on that at all?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Maybe a bit out of scope, but doesn't the fear of living around poors contribute to the cycle of poverty? Not speaking to your situation personally, but it does seem emblematic of a larger issue.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Interesting that their letter swayed you. What was their story in a nutshell? Congrats on the sale.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I lol'd at that thank you. My fav is #13 with the big contractor guy gingerly eating takeout with a fork in the background.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

... people irrigate their lawns with potable city water? I’ve never seen that, it’s always been from a dedicated well or a retention pond. Not that my sample size is very big.

Yes? I thought water scarcity is local -- most areas I've seen (non-drought areas) irrigate with city water.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hadlock posted:

Side note, Soylent is awesome, food is boring and a waste of time :colbert: I get a case delivered every month, it's my lunch most days. I get chocolate flavor, I can't stand regular

Chiming in to say I loving love Soylent and the day it's not available anymore will suck and I'll have to learn to cook more. Price is getting fairly reasonable at $3 a bottle for Cacao these days.

That being said I think food is cool too, but screw cooking when I don't have to or going out and spending more.

Zero VGS is taking it... in another direction. :v:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Someone, create the new landlord thread right here in BFC!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Motronic posted:

That is standard "we'll beat any price" bullshit where Best Buy/Lowes/Home Depot/etc have their own model made so there's never anything to beat. So no, it's not really concerning. It's been the game for 20 years.

Note this also applies to TV models oftentimes. There is a Best Buy only TCL model of TV. Dirty tricksters but that's capitalism.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Dik Hz posted:

Normally a 30-year and a 15-year are a full point apart. If you can get a 30-year for only 30 basis points more, you should probably do that.

Yup, I was thinking that. His numbers are close to average home prices in my area, and there's no way the lifetime interest is only a $4k difference. The interest rate is much farther apart for 15 vs 30 year than that example, for the vast majority of people, in a real life loan offer.

That reality makes the 15 vs. 30 year decision more difficult than the post implies.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I have an aversion to reading any Forbes "sites" articles, is this guy worth anything?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

drat I'm jealous. Does putting too much down hurt your rates? I wanted to put 50% down and the 2.5% rate came with 0.79 points. Also in the Almost-850-Range but I am pretty sure they don't care if you're over 760

In my experience higher % down means lower rates, so that's definitely confusing and an unbeatably low rate, indeed crazy that you can lock in 2.5 for 30 years. Well done.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Bad time to be gearing up for an early or spring 2021 purchase? Guess you'd need a crystal ball to answer my question but I'm certainly eyeing the numbers pretty hard.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

pmchem posted:

I mean, why wait (assuming USA). Have you SEEN 30-year fixed mortgage rates? COVID isn't gonna tank the economy for 30 years. Or even three.

The answer is I need to save up more for a down payment. My thinking is I have enough for around 5% now but I'm not looking to lock myself into high monthly payments for 30 years. I'm anticipating having maybe 15% down depending on what I choose by early 2021. I don't currently own.

Tunicate posted:

just got a telemarketer trying to buy my house for cash so SOMEONE is trying to buy in this market

I assume those are all horrible scams of some kind

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Stupid question. If I bought a house with < 20% down payment, even if I come up with what would amount to 20% some time after the purchase, there would be no way to decrease the monthly payments for the life of the loan without refinancing right?

Excluding PMI, of course PMI would end as I hit 20%.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thanks for the info about recasting! Did not know about it and will be a big help if I decide to close with less than 20% (and an important question to ask potential lenders).

Another question regarding if I receive any assistance from family members for the down payment. I've read differing information. If I provide a gift letter to document it, and it states repayment is not required, is the gift giver allowed to accept repayment? For example even if repayment is not required I decide I have enough to pay them back in the future, is that acceptable?

One source I read says the gift giver is not allowed to receive repayment, but other sources say only that the gift giver can't intend to receive repayment. I'd like to avoid fraud :shobon:

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 20, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Summit posted:

It’s not fraud if you decide to be a bro and pay them back for that help they provided on your down payment years ago. As long as that decision is your own and it was not expected, it’s allowed. There just can’t be any expectation whatsoever that you’ll pay back that gift. If you decide to do so anyway that’s allowed.

Here is the article that conflicts, specifically it says a gift letter must include a clause that says they will not accept repayment, as opposed to simply lacking the intent:

quote:

You may be wondering if you can repay a mortgage gift. The answer is no. That’s because the gift letter needs to explicitly state that the donor will not accept any repayment. Again, it’s to ensure the legitimacy of the monetary gift.

https://www.rockethq.com/learn/home-buying/understanding-gift-letters-and-your-mortgage

I guess certain mortgage lenders would be ok with the letter leaving that part out and some would not be?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Any opinions on buying a house as a single person as opposed to with a partner (that you're ostensibly married to)? Might be too much of an individual type thing, but it seems like the large majority of posters are buying with a partner, and I wonder if there are caveats to buying as a single person I should be aware of if I'm considering it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Surprisingly little discussion in this thread on the topic of buying vs. renting. I've spent way too long agonizing over the choice and reading reddit threads around my area from people making the same decision, and still haven't come to a clear answer. Of course it's dependent on a number of personal situation variables but I was hoping it'd be an easier calculation.

Right now since I'd have to stretch and only could afford 10-15% down on a nice place, I think I'm going to find somewhere to rent next year while I save up more. No point in buying if I'm not enthusiastic about the home and location, I think.

I'm in the kind of funny position of deciding between renting a 1BR and buying a 2BR/2BA, in case anyone has had to make a similar decision. I'm thinking of limiting myself to 2BR condos because they seem significantly easier to sell than 1BR when the time comes.

I've also used the buy/rent calculators... seems the # of years I'll stay is the most important factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

pointsofdata posted:

I did a bunch of research into this and most of it was pointless if you're expecting to stay more than a few years, as by far the most important factor becomes house price growth (much more than stock market growth, as you're so leveredged). It's almost impossible to predict so have fun!

:smith: One advantage of renting I see is you prevent a lot of downside risk in case prices slide downwards. I'll try to find a 1BR with a parking spot that's not priced obnoxiously high and maybe rent there until I have a healthy 20%. Life is expensive.