Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Check to make sure there are no giant hairballs in the trap, those usually clog up first.

If you are taking it all apart, you can just go ahead and replace all those rubber bushings, should be about $4 for the whole lot. They need to be hand tight, but make sure you crank on them hard.

And do check that the water is not coming from further up, such as vanity connection or lever mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nitrox posted:

Check to make sure there are no giant hairballs in the trap, those usually clog up first.

If you are taking it all apart, you can just go ahead and replace all those rubber bushings, should be about $4 for the whole lot. They need to be hand tight, but make sure you crank on them hard.

And do check that the water is not coming from further up, such as vanity connection or lever mechanism.

The trap has been 100% empty (well, except when there's water in it) every time I checked it, so if there's a clog, it has to be further down the line. Like I only, only a couple feet of pipe till it meets the bathroom vent stack pipe so not a lot of space to hide.

And no water from the connections to the stopper lever or vanity handles. Just from the downspout/P-trap. And again...NOT WHEN WATER IS RUNNING, it won't show until 10-15 minutes later.

Didn't get a chance to dig more into it this week cause other life issues got in the way, so I'll investigate more this weekend. I'll snake the drain to where it hits the vent stack, and the re-assemble with some pipe dope on new washers and see if that helps.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I have a relatively simple problem, but I wanted to check what my options are. As of a few days ago, I started hearing a dripping noise coming from the back of my toilet. Checked it out to see a small puddle back there. Initial thought was the supply line (or worse, the cutoff valve) was leaking. But after closer inspection, it seems like it was coming from the seal around the threaded pipe coming out of the tank. See picture:

Leaking stops when the tank is about 1/4 full. So, there is a pressure threshold. And when I moved to tighten/untighten the supply line connector, jostling that pipe, water bubbles started spurting from the edges of the circled areas in the picture.

Would it be fine to just empty out the tank and caulk around the interior and exterior of that seal? Would it be better to just replace the whole toilet? (I plan on doing that at some point anyway because all three toilets in this place are non-standard, low sitting decorative one-piece bowls that aren't the most comfortable things to sit on and use a shitton of water. Why are colored toilets so goddamn expensive? :psyduck: )

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

I have a relatively simple problem, but I wanted to check what my options are. As of a few days ago, I started hearing a dripping noise coming from the back of my toilet. Checked it out to see a small puddle back there. Initial thought was the supply line (or worse, the cutoff valve) was leaking. But after closer inspection, it seems like it was coming from the seal around the threaded pipe coming out of the tank. See picture:

Leaking stops when the tank is about 1/4 full. So, there is a pressure threshold. And when I moved to tighten/untighten the supply line connector, jostling that pipe, water bubbles started spurting from the edges of the circled areas in the picture.

Would it be fine to just empty out the tank and caulk around the interior and exterior of that seal? Would it be better to just replace the whole toilet? (I plan on doing that at some point anyway because all three toilets in this place are non-standard, low sitting decorative one-piece bowls that aren't the most comfortable things to sit on and use a shitton of water. Why are colored toilets so goddamn expensive? :psyduck: )

Just replace the fill valve. You'll get a new seal included. Fill valves are only like $10.

Colored toilets were always like that. My grandparents with their lavender toilet... If you replace your toilet(s), you want American Standard Cadet 3. They're absolutely bulletproof.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 20, 2024