Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«177 »
corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Is presort standard better or worse for your pipes than wet wipes?

E: oh god what a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Okay further research has been completed.

The tank has plenty of water. I think the problem is that the bowl itself has too much water. So a powerful flush still doesn’t move all the mail down the pipes. This some mail is returned to sender.

Q1. Does the hypothesis “too much water in the bowl means less complete flushes” make sense?

From research, there are three factors that determine the water level of the bowl:

1. Water level of tank (we can change this)
2. U-pipes of the toilet (we can’t change this)
3. Clog down the toilet (we can change this)

So I’m gonna:

1. get some toilet unclogging enzyme
2. Try lowering the amount of water in the tank and bowl. There’s such a large amount of water, maybe less will help the problem.

Honestly, it sounds like you're not getting enough water in the bowl to fully create the suction to pull out all your waste. When you flush, the toilet should fill then quickly drain out. When it's all done and air gets back up to release the vacuum in the pipe, you should have almost no water in your bowl, at which point the tank and bowl will fill up. It just seems like the vacuum isn't being held long enough to pull your poo poo over the turn in the toilet.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oven Wrangler

corgski posted:

Is presort standard better or worse for your pipes than wet wipes?

E: oh god what a snipe

Thread title

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

My wife & I are in the process of purchasing a home, and I wanted to solicit some feedback from the sewer inspection that we got. I felt our plumber's commentary was a bit light on the insight department; they highlighted the presence of some roots at the connection of the clay to cast iron and that there was pitting/scaling on the cast iron pipes, and then a portion where the sewer is holding water. What I want to know is -- what am I looking at?

Sewer Camera Video: https://youtu.be/6hwIUQr_fJ0

My concerns/questions:
  • If we're purchasing this home, can we have the cast iron descaled to remove the corrosion/pitting (1m 10s)?
  • How problematic is the presence of pooling water in the sewer line (1m 45s)?
  • If the system breaks, is this eligible for a more affordable repair via trenchless, or are we stuck digging up the slab?

Note: The footage is taken from a pulled toilet in the finished basement, which should be in slab...which is where my concerns arise in case we have to replace it soon. We're in Illinois, so the winters get cold and summers get decently hot/humid, if that matters.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Gothmog1065 posted:

Honestly, it sounds like you're not getting enough water in the bowl to fully create the suction to pull out all your waste. When you flush, the toilet should fill then quickly drain out. When it's all done and air gets back up to release the vacuum in the pipe, you should have almost no water in your bowl, at which point the tank and bowl will fill up. It just seems like the vacuum isn't being held long enough to pull your poo poo over the turn in the toilet.

Everything you said makes a ton of sense.

But it seems to have made an improvement. Still not perfect, but better than when I tried increasing the water level of the tank and bowl.

«177 »