Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

At a first glance, those seem to react to either sudden loss of large quantities of water or physical water leak over a strategically-placed sensor. You'd probably place something like this inside of a cabinet or under a water heater. Usually those places are fine with the cursory visual inspection. Most leaks develop slowly over period of time and often spotted visually within a short time frame. I'm not telling you not to spend money on this, but the usefulness of those products seems a bit exaggerated

One place I can see moisture sensor to be important is outside of sump pump basin. And only if you're relying on a pump to keep your basement dry or something equally unusual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I need to move my laundry box. I was thinking that since I've already got the wall open and I have to put in a new box anyway, I would put in a little extra insurance and get one of these https://ndaonline.net/watts-A2C-WB-M1-intelliflow-with-wall-box/

Anyone have any experience with them? Good idea or no?

I have one that's purely mechanical, but I think it's been discontinued? Even if you do something upstream, I'd still suggest something similar there. You can't have any water damage from a burst hose if the water isn't on!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MOTRONIC FOR MODERATOR, MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN

Grimey Drawer

devicenull posted:

I have one that's purely mechanical, but I think it's been discontinued? Even if you do something upstream, I'd still suggest something similar there. You can't have any water damage from a burst hose if the water isn't on!

That and the vertical throw style are the types I've seen in countless apartments on the washing machine hookups.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

That and the vertical throw style are the types I've seen in countless apartments on the washing machine hookups.

The vertical ones are manual though - with the one I linked you turn it on when you start laundry, and it turns itself off in ~3 hrs

SourKraut
Nov 20, 2005

POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Nitrox posted:

At a first glance, those seem to react to either sudden loss of large quantities of water or physical water leak over a strategically-placed sensor. You'd probably place something like this inside of a cabinet or under a water heater. Usually those places are fine with the cursory visual inspection. Most leaks develop slowly over period of time and often spotted visually within a short time frame. I'm not telling you not to spend money on this, but the usefulness of those products seems a bit exaggerated

One place I can see moisture sensor to be important is outside of sump pump basin. And only if you're relying on a pump to keep your basement dry or something equally unusual

None of the ones I linked use sensors, because I personally don't like the sensor-method. The ones I linked all have an inline meter that will monitor and report all flow through the line, with accuracy equivalent to the positive displacement-type meter installed on many homes; I think the Flo device is using an ultrasonic sensor.

The two positive displacement-type, will probably detect flow above about 0.004 gpm, so if you set it to "away" or "sleeping" or whatever, and it sees more than that continuous, it's going to shutoff the valve. For comparison, running your sink is going to be 1 - 1.5 gpm, and the shower is closer to 2+ gpm, so that should put it into perspective that they're not looking at "sudden loss of large quantities of water" to be able to detect a leak.

And I've had two leaks in the last 8 years: one was in the wall with just a small drip that we didn't find until the carpet near the wall was wet and wouldn't dry, and I'm not sure the drip would have been large enough for this, but the other leak was a slab leak that we noticed because the meter wouldn't stop running even though we knew no water was being used, and any of these would have shut that off right away. So to me it's a cheap investment to make given the related cost of repairs that have and could happen.

Plus, they typically recommend replacing supply lines to refrigerators, washing machines, dishwashers, toilets, sinks, etc. every 5 years at the latest. While I'm sure many of us do that, how often do you think the typically person does it? That's who these devices are also meant to help...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

The moen unit in your first link absolutely does, but I'm wrong about the rest. The constant flow monitoring function is the real winner here as it would detect minor water loss due to an unseen leak. Every home would benefit from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SourKraut
Nov 20, 2005

POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Nitrox posted:

The moen unit in your first link absolutely does, but I'm wrong about the rest. The constant flow monitoring function is the real winner here as it would detect minor water loss due to an unseen leak. Every home would benefit from it.

I should have been more specific: I'm talking about the Flo by Moen Automatic Water Shutoff (https://www.moen.com/products/Flo_by_Moen/Flo_by_Moen_34_smart_home_water_monitoring_and_leak_detection_system/900-001), which functions via internal sensors to monitor flow, pressure, and temperature and uses an App to monitor and control/adjust the unit. It does not require any of the other sensors that are shown on that site, and it appears that Moen has simply rebranded all of their leak detection systems as "Flo by Moen" unfortunately.