Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

El Spamo posted:

Always do yearly maintenance on your hot water heater folks, this spring's flushout cost me $30 instead of an emergency replacement. After I bought my house I made the foolish mistake of not immediately assessing the state of the hot water heater. After all, it was operating normally and continued to do so until this spring when I decided to do the recommended flush and check of the various valves. Flushing turned out to be a good idea as a fair amount of sediment came out. Operating the T&P valve though left the damned thing dripping and it wouldn't stop. I shut down the heater to diagnose it and even with a cool tank and no pressure the thing still oozed water. I called a couple professionals and they recommended I head to the hardware store and replace the valve. So I did. Here's what the old one revealed.

Pretty nasty buildup, I'm fairly confident the previous owners didn't exercise that thing very often and it fouled on some sediment. Anyway, the new valve is in place and operating normally. The whole heater will be replaced soon since it is 10 years old, but it's not a NOW NOW NOW replacement and there's no strangeness in the water hot water supply.

I do have a question for any experts lurking around though. The replacement valve has a longer shank than the old one, though the replacement is a recommended valve for the brand and model of heater I have. Neither had a problem dealing the insulation, is the longer shank an issue? At the moment I'm more inclined to trust the manuals and replacement parts recommendations than what the previous owner may or may not have installed at some point.

I have a 9 year old water heater, and apparently super hard water. I've found like 1/8th inch of build up in the copper supply pipes.

I'm way too scared to drain the water heater at this point, I'm thinking the sediment is the only thing holding it together right now! (Thanks previous owner for neglecting every type of maintenance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I guess my question is there a good reason I should remove it, a really good (not theoretical) reason? Because it would be a pain in the rear end to remove it. I can't think of one. I understand the basic physics of pipe diameter, speed vs pressure. Water will lose speed when it enters the 3/4 pipe but when the pipe fills (air expelled) the overall pressure of the system should be maintained (?)

Connections are usually where leaks occur. Less connections, less chance of leaks!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kelvron posted:

That looks a lot better. Never heard of Danby, so I avoided them initially. Sweet home looks pretty reputable too.

Still looking for an answer to my other question about portable dishwashers and sink sprayers. Is it something thats fixable? Or will I have to lose my sprayer to get the portable dishwasher?

I had a Danby dehumidifer once. It died, and they required me to bring it to some super sketchy guy like an hour away from me. Unsurprisingly, he wasn't able to fix it. Danby then insisted I go retrieve it from him, and send them the end of the power cord.

However, we pretty much couldn't make contact with the guy again, and Danby was being pretty lovely about the whole thing. They kept trying to reach him, and kept failing.

A month later they said they were going to send us a check for a new one. A month after that, we called back and they finally sent one out.

So, don't buy Danby unless you don't plan on using the warranty. It was like 6 months from failure to actually getting the check.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
PEX is pretty awesome. Did a new run for an exterior spigot with it, it took so much less time and effort to install (once I realized I had pinch clamps when I wanted cinch clamps)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

I replaced my disposal yesterday and decided to change my dishwasher from draining directly into the drain to draining into the disposal since I have a septic system and might as well grind anything that comes out of it. The transfer went fine, replaced the Y connection with a straight pipe for the original drain, and routed it over to the dishwasher fine with a new hose.

I did have a question, though. I left a little slack in the line to make the work a bit easier for the line between the air gap and the disposal. However, as such, it bends down somewhat:

Is that a problem? It'd be easy enough to shorten it up and make it straighter if needed, but if I can, I'll just leave it as is.

fake edit: Also the line is a bit squashed from being on the spool. I assume it'll round itself out over time, or do I need to do something to that?

real edit: My worry is that water from the left side of the sink with the disposal will drain itself and crud into that dishwasher hose, leading to some nasty smells out of the air gap or disposal. I don't actually know though. Maybe it'd just work like another trap.

Shouldn't that outlet back there be a GFCI?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Did your water hammer arrestor fail and start leaking? That's an awful lot of corrosion.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Minus Pants posted:

I managed to acquire a used water-cooled AC for a closet-turned-home-server-room and I'm trying to figure out how to handle the plumbing. I can tie it into a bathroom sink with about a 4 foot run through a wall, but I'm not sure how to handle the drain. I've done some very basic plumbing work, but this is a bit beyond what I know. It's one of these:

It has 3 connections - supply water, 'exhaust' water, and a condensate pump drain. I'd really like to use some kind of quick disconnect for all of them. My searches for wall mounted quick disconnect fittings weren't fruitful - what would those be called? The connection on the unit is just flex tubing. Can I even use a disconnect fitting for the drains, or do I need an open standpipe thing like on a washing machine? I was thinking of running the drains through a quick disconnect over to a Y dishwasher drain fitting in the bathroom sink (with a checkvalve on the condensate drain, since I don't want the higher pressure drain to backup into it). Any suggestions? Am I approaching this completely wrong?

Don't those things waste tremendous amounts of water? I thought they were designed to be used with a chiller plant, not just running water from the tap to the drain.

Specs say 3 GPM, so for one month you'd be doing 131400 gallons to cool this closet.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

Holy cow, just got quotes and the propane is $9000 for a GV90-5LP Direct Vent boiler and all the other stuff installed.

Oil is $6000 for WGO-3 Chimney Vent, Weil McLean boiler and all the stuff installed.

I don't think that my cost of propane will ever make up the $3000 difference over the life of the unit.

Put some numbers into https://ag.purdue.edu/extension/renewable-energy/Documents/ON-Farm/heatcalc.xls

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Ok plumbing thread, I've got myself an issue and I'm trying to figure out if I can resolve it myself with help from someone more experienced.

I recently removed some drywall in a storage room of my (finished) basement because there was mold growing behind it. Fortunately the mold was confined to a relatively small portion of the wall. Looking straight up through the wall I could see a large (4" or so?) black pipe directly above. There is a bathroom with a toilet a floor above and on the other side of this wall, so I'm assuming the pipe is the outflow of the sink and/or toilet. When flushing the toilet, a bit of water (1-2 tablespoons) comes straight down the wall and his the area where the mold was.

Is this kind of leak something that could be the result of a bad toilet gasket or likely something worse? The toilet above has always looked a bit off level since we moved in 6m ago, but I've never seen even a drop of water leak from around that area so I didn't think much of it until this issue came to my attention.

Yea, toilets have a wax seal. Wax seals can stop working if your toilet rocks (or I guess just randomly). They're pretty cheap to replace (but you'll want gloves... lots of gloves....)

On a related note, if you hate your toilet, or it doesn't flush well, or anything similar... replacing the wax seal is about 75% of the job of just installing a new toilet.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm not in love with this toilet (almond), but it's in good shape so I'll wait until we redo the bathroom in a few months/years.

Don't wait! New toilets work way better then lovely old ones. The only extra steps involved in replacing it versus doing the wax seal are building the toilet (two bolts), and attaching the new supply line.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Building a new hole for my fridge to live in and I'm not sure about the best place to feed the water from for the ice maker. Behold top-down view with MS paint grade planning tools:

Here, the orange walls are exterior (well, against the garage anyway). The green wall doesn't exist yet - The farther I move it from the fridge, the smaller my pantry gets.

If I put one of these water outlet boxes https://www.amazon.com/Water-Tite-8...aker+outlet+box or similar where I drew the black rectangle, how much space am I going to need to route the supply line around in? Can I get away with 3/4"? Is there some totally different plan I should be considering?

Putting that a lot lower would make more sense. I think most ice maker supplies are located on lower back of the fridge.

Is your fridge flat on the back?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

Thanks for the information. I drained some of the water on Sunday, I decided to completely skip trying to let the water heater cool off for two reasons 1) I realized I could hold my hand under the hot tap for a few seconds without it hurting too much so even if I did spray myself it couldn't hurt too bad and 2) I noticed no odor from the tub's hot water tap. I use the tub less than a dozen times a year so I assumed it would be the most likely faucet to have problems. I also tested my wife's sink in the same bathroom and noticed no odor.

I think the most surprising part of everything was that I somehow managed to not spray myself with hot water at any point. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water fresh out of the water heater's drain and I couldn't detect either any sediment or any sent of sulfur. Afterwards, I turned the hot water on to my smelly sink full blast and let it run for 10 minutes as per Google. I have not really sniffed the water yet but I believe the sulfur smell is completely gone, or at least very faint. Unfortunately I am developing a cold so I am not sure how much I trust my nose right now.

Now what I am wondering is why would this smell develop only at one faucet? Unless I am missing something obvious I don't​ believe I could easily pour peroxide into my water heater, the anode rod is "attached to the hot water outlet". Just looking at the top and sides I see no sign of a screw or nut for an easily removable anode rod. I have not yet downloaded a manual, but I fell safe in saying in order to check or change it, I would need to learn how to sweat copper pipes. I believe this is more a case of let the water heater die spectacularly and buy a different water heater (maybe tankless?) next time. I am assuming the difficult to replace anode rod placement is a sign of a disposable, low quality water heater. It's a Bradford White Defender if that says anything about the quality.

This is only happening from one faucet? Did you try removing the aerator from it, and cleaning it out? Is this a fixture you're not using often? Are you sure you're not smelling sewer gas here instead? If you're not using this faucet frequently, I could see the water in the trap drying out, which would let sewer gas into the house.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brute Squad posted:

So here are the water lines to my shower.

What's the deal with the pvc ends going down at the t's? Water hammer prevention? Plumber too lazy to grab right angles? I would like to get rid of them, as they are the perfect level to hit me in the head.

I'd guess "future proofing" for some project that never happened.

What's with that weird metal ducting in the back... that doesn't really look correct.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm buying a house that somehow has an indestructible 33 year old natural gas water heater manufactured by State in 1984. Is it even worth having a guy come out and flush/inspect/service it or just plan to immediately replace it? I'd have to know it's 100% working correctly (holding correct temperature, nothing nasty inside) because I've got a mostly decorative immune system.

The home inspector said he thought it must be glass lined to have survived that long, but it wasn't labeled as such. Our water here is not particularly hard, but there's no water softener in the house or anything, so it seems like the thing must be half full of sediments.

When it breaks and starts leaking, is it going to damage anything? Or is it in the basement where it will just be a minor annoyance?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turd Herder posted:

If you plan on putting any money to service it just plan on replacing it. A new gas water heater isn't that expensive either. (unless you have a power vent)

What's even more fun is retrofitting an existing water heater to be power vent. That's like 40% of the cost of getting a new one installed...

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Gardenator posted:

Yep, you are going to want to get one of these: Activated Carbon, Reverse Osmosis, or Nanofiltration. Apparently, these systems are not cheap, as they all cost at least two dollar signs according to this PDF:
https://www.awwa.org/Portals/0/files/resources/water%20knowledge/rc%20healtheffects/AWWAPFCFactSheetTreatmentandRemoval.pdf

RO is not terribly expensive, we have the slightly older model of this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-...tion/1000065237

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks plumbing thread for finally making me go track down the CO2 leak in my kegerator... turns out that diluted starsan is a better leak detecting fluid then dish soap!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

i'll go check out the crawlspace later but i've spent a decent amount of time down there and i don't recall seeing anything trap-like. it was done by the PO (as opposed to a plumber, he was a retired industrial electrician) so it's quite possible there just ain't one.

also that wouldn't entirely explain why the RIGHT sink is draining fine (and they go into the same drain, as you can see there)

draining them both at once is just a recipe but bad times but i knew that the second i looked under the sink

Guessing no vent? That would explain why the right sink works (because the left one is acting as a vent).

If you block the left sink entirely, does the right sink still work fine?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

effika posted:

I found what size I need, but it doesn't seem to exist? We have an externally threaded (male) faucet that accepts female aerators. It is 55/64" in size. I can't find anything that is female on one end and male on the other without changing sizes. Am I just using the wrong search terms?

I might just give up and get a pitcher filter.

RO system with a separate tap is definitely the way to go: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-...tion/1000065237

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sub Par posted:

I'm redoing my bathroom, and I made a dumb unforced error - I've finished tiling the shower surround, but the pipe that should connect to the tub spigot is about a half inch too short, which is incredibly frustrating. As you can see in the picture below, the copper pipe is roughly flush with the tile, and it needs to stick out about a half inch to receive a brass adapter thing that my tub spigot screws onto:

Alas, that fucker is soldered on, so I can't simply remove it and put in a longer nipple. It's a 1/2 inch copper pipe, and I've tried explaining my sitch to the folks at Home Depot who were useless. I need some kind of adapter, coupling, or fitting that will extend this thing at least a half inch and that ends in a threaded half inch male pipe so I can attach this loving adapter thing. I've googled as well and don't see anything that fits the bill that's 1/2 inch - I see reducers and I see 1 inch female to male brass, but not half inch. Am I hosed? Should I just cobble together what I can and solder some contraption together?

Those are new tiles? WTF is that poo poo all over them?

Can you fit anything inside that fitting, and just solder it in? Like https://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/p/1-2-copper-tube-size-extension-nipple-adapter-kit-for-tub-spout-p845045

devicenull fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 25, 2017

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DustyNuts posted:

My water heater is located in the attic (a dumb loving place for a tank of water to be) and it was leaking so I needed a replacement. I just had to put a new roof on the house, funds were tight, so I shopped around for a bargain and ended up hiring a plumber that offered a crazy low estimate. You get what you pay for, etc. but the water was nice and hot and I had no complaints. To access my attic, you have to use a ladder through the master bedroom closet - I don't go up there often. Now that it's getting cold, I went up there to flip the damper on my aquatherm heating unit, and saw the water heater job for the first time.

It looks like my dude didn't bother connecting the vent to the water heater.

I don't know much of anything, but I'm pretty certain that my tank needs atmospheric venting, and that this is an unfinished job? This plumber has 5 stars on Yelp, Angie's List and the BBB... What do you guys think?

Does where you live not require permits for water heater replacements? We had to pull one when I got mine replaced...

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Yeah I talked to a few places today to get quotes and they all universally said going tankless would require additional work with my Hobbit house.

Thanks guys.

If you're not replacing this yourself, draining falls firmly in the "someone elses problem" category". I seem to recall them using a pump when mine was replaced.

Now that you've experienced the fun of gate vales, you should check if those valves around your water meter actually shut the water off to the house or not. If not, swapping at least one of them for a gate valve when you get the water heater replaced is probably a good idea (if they don't work, they'll end up shutting off water from the street anyway, so probably not a ton of extra work).

I'm finally free of gate valves in my house. Even went with ball valves for the outdoor spigots.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

We recently bought a house which was built in 1977. It is a split level. The two upstairs toilets do not flush very well- there is always a bit of toilet paper or something that floats back up and requires a second flush. I noticed the previous owner had adjusted the float so that the tank was not filling up to the normal level so I fixed that. I also noticed that he had turned the shutoff valve about 60% closed which I corrected. This made the flushing better but still not at the level I would consider normal. I did a vinegar soak in the tank of one of the toilets and that didn’t help much. Is this just going to be an “it’s an old toilet” thing? The date stamps in the tank on both toilets is 1977 so They look to be original to the house.

New toilets are way better then ones from the 70s. I'd suggest replacing them.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

We took a video, here after a week of not using it takes ~20 seconds to come on. Any ideas whats going on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnN0U0b7xyc

It's probably leaking somewhere. There really isn't any other reason I know of that you'd get a bunch of air in the lines.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gothmog1065 posted:

Oh about 4'. There's no P-trap on this toilet, it just goes straight down into the drain, so my bathroom smells wonderful now.

Shove rags into the hole for now... don't just leave the drain open venting sewer gas into your house.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

I'd like to add an adaptor to my single kitchen faucet to run a portable dishwasher, but I'd also like to add a spray nozzle to it. Is this possible to do without having to buy a new faucet or swapping the adapters out as needed?

GE says don't do it: http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-support-search-content?contentId=22374

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

There's not, I look down behind it last night. I'm getting a plumber to come cap it off for me because I'm not comfortable loving with gas supplies myself.

Get him to put in a shutoff instead, so you can reattach the stove without calling a plumber back out.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Our old as gently caress gas water heater is on its last legs and I'm looking at replacing it. Does anyone have experience with whole house tankless water heaters? The house, when complete, will have two full bathrooms, two half baths, a kitchen sink and a hot water laundry hookup.

I've got plenty of room in my basement subpanel, and recently put most of the house on a pex manifold supply system.

An electric instant water heater? That sounds way more expensive to run then the corresponding gas version.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

One out of my outdoor hose spigots has a plastic connector to quickly screw and unscrew hoses, and the whole outer barrel rotates freely. I want to remove it. It leaks like crazy when I turn the valve. I don't know what the hell to call it. Inside the unit is a spring loaded pin that I can pull down, and when I release that it returns up inside the whole thing. There's no obvious way for me to take the whole thing off, unless this is a one-piece thing that includes the valve itself. Here's some photos.

Off:

On, and leaking out of the top:

Any thoughts?

{edit} It appears to be a Watts 8P "non-removable" anti-tamper thermoplastic connector. gently caress

Dremel with a cut off wheel. Worst case it looks like you have enough pipe left to be easily able to replace the entire spigot.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

That's what I was afraid of. I've got a plumber coming in to install a water softener, maybe I'll have him replace this whole thing at the same time.

I'd at least try to cut off the plastic bit (if you already have the necessary tools). Worst case, you have to get it replaced anyway. Well... worst case as long as you don't somehow cut through the pipe.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

Update: the destruction begins tomorrow since I have guests unexpectedly showing up to drink beer.

Uh, beer and destruction are not mutually exclusive.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Erwin posted:

I have a toilet shut off valve that's leaking, however it looks like it'll be a pain in the rear end to replace. It's a on a chrome pipe that's soldered onto a copper pipe, and it seems like the whole assembly is one piece. There's no packing nut to tighten and I can't see a way to get to the guts of the valve to replace anything internally, so it seems like the only option is to replace it. I have a torch and solder, but I haven't done much plumbing soldering, and I don't want to be stuck in a situation where I get it off but break something and I have to keep my water off for a few days while I wait for a plumber to come fix it.

Is this easily doable with a high chance of success, or should I just pay a professional to handle it? Is this something that will be a few hundred bucks or less to do? There's a toilet on the other side of that wall with the exact same valve - should the plumber replace that one while they're at it?

Where exactly is it leaking from? My (not professional) opinion is it's probably the toilet or hose leaking (given the green corrosion on top of the nut there).

If that's the case, a new supply line might help (or worst case, new toilet valve... although if it were me I'd just replace the toilet. If your shutoff works, a new toilet is like a 30 minute job).

I would probably wrap a towel right around the nut there, and see if the leaks continue or the towel absorbs them. If the towel gets them, its probably not the valve.

Replacing that valve would involve unsoldering the current chrome piece from the old one, and soldering a new one on. It's not too difficult, although if you somehow accidentally unsolder the copper within the wall your job just got a whole lot harder and more destructive.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NEED MORE MILK posted:

So we have a couple of out door spigots that are not frost proof, and have inconveniently located shutoff valves. In addition, our existing hot water heater is vented naturally (no fan) through an existing flue running through the center of the house. I really want to move the hot water heater and have it use a fan to exhaust out the rear of the house to free up space in the utility area. Finally, I want to put a whole home filter in to easily feed the kitchen, fridge dispenser, and (in the future) a bar.

With all of these changes, I was also thinking I might replace the copper with PEX. Having individual shutoff valves at a manifold would be awesome, and I can run it through basement floor joists. Considering I want to finish part of the basement in the future, removing pipes from the bottom of the joists would make life a lot easier.

My questions are:

1) Am I dumb as hell for wanting to do this?
2) Can I reuse my existing expansion tank?
3) Where should I place that expansion tank?
4) Are crimp fittings okay?

Here's a diagram of what I'm wanting to do. Note that the expansion tank is not in here because I'm just not sure the best place to locate it. In addition, I'm basing the order of the incoming water line from memory. I could have the order of the meter, backflow valve, regulator, and shutoff valve wrong.

I have no opinions here other then you want way more valves around your filter. You want to be able to completely bypass the filter just by turning valves, so that when it starts leaking you're not without water until you can fix it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Dregs posted:

Yeah. All brass. But turns out I am hosed. The valve seat in the cold water is cracked. Cant even screw that bushing in. Looks like it will need to be replaced. This is bad.

Think I may have to call the plumber on this one. Replacing the valve looks lovely.

If you can get to it from the back, it should be a pretty simple process. Even if you can't, modern one handle valves come with (or have available) a big metal plate that will cover the hole in the tile you're going to have to make. I'm pretty sure there's a this old house episode that covers it.

You've discovered why the plumber didn't want to touch it!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

The lowest bid of $200+/hr, for some pretty loving simple work with easy access. I didn't cheap out and hire some back alley "plumber" or something. This guy is supposed to be a trained and licensed professional.

It was through Home Depot, so they'll make it right, I just have to bitch enough.

Did that pass inspection? I thought the gas would need a drip leg?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BubbaGrace posted:

It's a fill valve and ball cock. The hissing sound is more than likely the fill valve failing. The new style will not have a giant ball cock and arm attached to it, just a donut float.

If you're going to do it, I'd just replace the entire toilet. It's only a couple more steps, and modern toilets are way better then builder grade 1996 toilets..

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

I have what is probably a dumb question. I have a toilet that a few years ago ran and ran and ran so I bought the hardware and changed all the innards out. Easy peasy, no more problems. Two weeks ago, I had the flush handle go limp and stop working. The arm had snapped off that connected the handle to the chain & flapper. The local hardware store sells replacement parts so i bought the same part and as was broken and replaced it. Now when I flush, i get a flush but it only leaves a very low water level in the bowl and the next flush just fills the bowl too much. Then that will flush but it leaves behind only a little bit of water, and the cycle repeats. What the heck? I've even used the sprayer to 'prime' the bowl to the proper level and it still does it.

Did you connect the chain too tight, and the flapper isn't actually sealing? There should be a tiny amount of slack when it's not being pressed.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Boner Wad posted:

So I got one of these and tried it out. Some decent sized hair nuggets came out but nowhere what I expected. I ran the water and it seemed to not backup, so I’ll run this for awhile and will see what happens.

The one thing I noticed was a bunch of hard, rock like things on the side of the pipe when I look down at it. Sorry for the poo poo picture. I’m guessing it’s calcium build up from hard water. I’ve read CLR can get rid of it?

You're well past CLR territory there. I don't really have something stronger to recommenced, but CLR is not going to touch that.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

effika posted:

Hmm, ill see what I can find locally with a sturdy lid. I forgot stores sold them because I never see them in Target.

Usually the seats are fine, it's the lids that will be terrible and flexible.

I bought a wooden one from lowes, and it hasn't broken.... I'm not sure I've *ever* seen a broken toilet seat.

I was curious and looked at some amazon listing.. this review is terrifying:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3N082KXJ8UBMA/

quote:

I hate to knock a product that looks so nice. The bamboo wood is fine, but the hardware, unfortunately is not. I purchased this in February 2016 and 10 months have passed. Now it is hanging on by one hinge. The metal simply deteriorated into ugly black crumbs. The picture says it all. The seat is also somewhat small and it barely covers the bowl. It is very flat and not molded like most toilet sets. In other words, it is hard and uncomfortable. Maybe I can convert the lid into a nice cutting board.

Anyone want some used toilet seat cutting boards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BubbaGrace posted:

I run in to them from time to time in a 2 cities in our service area. It's a nightmare to have to make repairs to after so many years because it becomes way too soft and brittle. I love the scrap dollars though. Just cut out a 4" copper soil stack last week.

Fuuuckkk... we have copper drains that date back to the 60s. All the connections from the fixtures have been replaced with plastic, but the main stack (and presumably everything within the slab) is all copper... Ugh, not looking forward to dealing with that at some point.

While I'm thinking of it, we have a 90% furnance that dumps condensate into the drain, do I need to do something with that to lower the pH? (so it doesn't eat away the copper)