Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Crossposting from general question thread:
I just bought a standalone upright freezer on Craigslist for $50. I would love, LOVE to have an ice maker, but this is an old model without the appropriate holes or existing kit.

Is it possible to take any old ice maker kit and install it? Is there somewhere it is generally safe to drill an appropriate hole, without breaching to cooling system somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Alright, thanks. I'll poke around and see what I can find.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Plumbing horror story for y'all.
I live in a rental house. The owners got a policy from American Home Guardian.

The kitchen sink faucet would occasionally flood the countertop. Called, got an appointment set up, dude replaced the faucet. He saw that there was a leak from the outlet pipe. He couldn't address it because AHG required a separate service call.

On Tuesday the 14th, :wal: came out at 5:00 and said there was no leak from the outlet pipe in the kitchen and that the other guy "was an idiot". He just tightened the fitting down, seems OK. He was generally gruff and unfriendly.

On Thursday, my roommate told me about the water hammering noise and the low flow from the hot water in the master bathroom bathtub.

AHG scheduled the same guy :wal: to come out to look at the water heater leak and the bathtub issue.
He was as gruff and unfriendly as before. He banged around with the water heater for about an hour and appears to have fixed that issue. He spent about five minutes looking at the bathtub and said that "that's just how it is, water pressure is weird". I pointed out that before all of this started the hot and cold water were both the same pressure. He said "Well I don't know how that could be. There's nothing I can do to fix it." He said he wasn't going to charge for the tub thing.

He went out to his truck to leave, then came back to tell me about the leak at the water main. He said "You'll want to call the city to fix that", and left right away. This leak was on the home owner side of the meter.

:cool: came around 4:45, was very nice, noted that the :wal: hadn't put the exhaust flue for the gas water heater back in place correctly and said it was likely extremely dangerous. He diagnosed the water main problem and while the glue was setting cleaned out the cartridge for the tub, noting it was really clogged. Some additional tweaking, and everything started working as it was supposed to! Near as I can tell, the initial water shutoff to take care of the kitchen sink issue caused enough sediment to be dislodged in the hot water pipes to cause a clog in the master bath cartridge. Not really something that the first guy could have reasonably anticipated.

I've told the property management company that I won't deal with :wal: again, and will tell the same to AHG if I talk to them directly again.
I've also told the property managers that they need to give :cool: as much work as they can.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 22, 2012

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The gasket on one of the lines was shot, I guess, and he replaced that. Seems to be holding so far, the area is still dry. I'm keeping an eye on it, in case he was incompetent with that too.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I need a dishwasher. What dishwasher should I buy?
Bottle wash and orbital wands and third racks and poo poo all sound nice, but I'm just looking for a basic thing to wash my dishes without a whole bunch of doodads if I can avoid it. This would be a new installation.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 6, 2014

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I have 18" wide cabinets. Am I stupid to get an 18" wide dishwasher, to avoid having to gently caress up not one but two cabinets and drawers? The Bosch 500 18" model I want has good reviews and everything, but I don't know if I'm really stepping in it long term.
I live alone, have a girlfriend who may move in eventually, and don't have kids or plan on them especially soon. I currently hand wash everything.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

WeaselWeaz posted:

My house has an 18" because the kitchen is tiny. Do you even have enough cabinet space to be able to store everything you need if you got a 24" dishwasher?

It's actually a decent sized kitchen (certainly not big though), I'm just loath to give up more than one cabinet+drawer because they chose 18" cabinet width. I could make one of those half assed partial cabinet doors but those look universally terrible in my experience, and I'd not be able to do that with the drawer really.
I wouldn't be losing space I'm using if I used one cabinet, or even if I gave up two cabinets, but I'm mostly just feeling fussy about it at this point.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Couple of questions. I replaced my sink today and discovered that the galvanized pipes feeding my hot water, at least, were rusted to poo poo inside after replacing the valve that basically disintegrated when I turned off my hot water feed.. I know I've got rusty pipes elsewhere in the house. I replaced the bits I could get to easily, and am now fantasizing about running PEX everywhere because why the gently caress not.
I have water coming into the house in the basement, to a utility sink and washer, then it goes straight up into my kitchen on the first floor. The only other run is up to the bathroom on the second floor. That's slightly more complicated because I don't know where the piping is and I'd rather not take up my floor if I can avoid it.

Is it reasonable to do a PEX migration in stages? Like, basement and kitchen and then bathroom when I get up the nerve?

Second question - I have a regular tanked electric water heater. I don't have natural gas. I'm considering getting a propane tank installed so I can have a gas range.
Are the propane tankless water heaters worth my time? Are they gas hogs? The propane dealer said I'd only need a 120 gallon tank if I was just running a range.
My electricity is pretty darn cheap, but I think I'd need to run a new electrical service to run a proper electric tankless hot water system.