Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

My main plumbing stack shoots all the way up through the roof of the house as a stink pipe, yet there is an open Y-connector in the basement that the laundry machine drains into via a garden hose, why doesn't the laundry room smell like sewer? This is just a random thing I've wondered about from time to time.

edit: gently caress I mis-remembered, there is a trap, whole question is void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

dreesemonkey posted:

Ideas?

Attach a hose that leads back into the bucket... doesn't account for overflows though.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

"[panic posted:

"]
I have toilet in the master bathroom that has been giving me a ton of trouble. Specifically, it smells like sewer gas is leaking up, and every time you walk in the bathroom after the door has been closed for a few hours, you get blasted in the nostrils with an unpleasant smell.

Of course, the first thing I did was replace the wax ring, but the problem was not fixed. At that point, I had a plumber come in for $75 just to check everything out. He pulled the toilet up again, looked over the flange and didn't see any cracks, then installed yet another new wax ring and left. The smell was gone for a day or so, but then it came back as badly as before.

At this point I'm just lost. I'm thinking there must be some sort of hairline crack somewhere that I haven't seen. I'm ready to just go buy a new toilet altogether, but is there anything else I should check before I bite the bullet?

Could be the sink or tub/shower drain? Try plugging those and see if that stops the smell.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I've got a Moen single-handle rotaty control in my shower and lately the temperature has gone crazy. It'll be perfect for 5 minutes, then a minor loss of pressure from someone else using a sink elsewhere in the house, and when the pressure comes back it's scalding hot. Could the cartridge be causing these temperature fluctuations, or am I looking at a bigger issue?

The control is very much like this one, but in a different style.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

It could be the cartridge, it could be the water heater.

Does this only happen at the shower or does it happen else where in the house?

Just the shower, everywhere else is as constant as it's always been. Also the water heater is only a couple of months old, whereas the shower controls are almost 20 years old I believe.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Would an easy way to tell be to pour water in and see if it maintains a level in the trap or if it just drains away never to be seen again?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

There's multiple Baden goons? :monocle: (Not from Baden, just Paris)

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

stubblyhead posted:

Thanks for the reply. Does it sound reasonable to you that the lack of a flange could result in a poor seal?

Installing a new toilet I thought I ended up with a similar problem. Turns out that I hadn't tightened the tank on to the bowl tight enough, and there was a slow enough leak that it was drawn down the bowl and looked like a leak at the drain despite coming out of the bolts holding the tank onto the bowl. Solved that one after the 2nd wax ring!

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

To start with you should probably start bailing that water into another sink or toilet, and invest in a bucket.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Water softener question, it's a Culligan Mark 100 and it's 14 years old. It seems to go through the forced regeneration cycle just fine but when it's idle the brine tank slowly fills up with water until it's overflowing.

I've drained the brine tank, cleaned it, and refilled it. The 'pump', float, and hose going to the brine tank all seem to be doing what they should be doing. I'm thinking a valve or seal problem in the main bit of the unit where all the pipes tie in, but I figured I'd throw the question out here first. What's wrong with my softener?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Tackled replacing the overflowing ineffecient water softener with a new GE today. First time really getting into plumbing, the most I've done before this is a couple of sharkbites and a vanity drain reorientation. I think I did well, no leaks!

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Only think I could suggest that could be done differently is.

Well PVC isn't the best material but regardless of that. I would have installed some ball valves on in inlet and outlet side. So if you have to replace it you can do it with ease.

Also does that have a bypass? I can't tell from the picture. But if it doesn't , installing one can be handy.

It came with a sliding plastic bypass yes. Also provided for connections to the water were 1" plastic NPTs so I had to come up with a way to get from 1/2" copper to 1" threads and using PVC was the cheapest (and easiest for me, I've got lots of PVC experience) solution I could come up with. Any better suggestions on how I could've got from 1/2" copper to the 1" male threads on the softener?

I was undecided on whether I should add in the ball-valve bypass and decided not to. The old softener lasted 14 years, so 6 hours of work isn't a lot compared to how long this thing hopefully works for.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I wasn't scared of soldering, and it turned out to actually be really easy to do so I'm glad I learned it. My problem with copper was that I couldn't find any with 1" female NPT, I found one that was 1/2" to 3/4" NPT but then I couldn't get from that to 1" NPT which was why I went with PVC. Also didn't know that PVC wasn't legal for water anymore.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Since it's leaking where the neck meets the body, probably a gasket issue? Whether you could disassemble the faucet enough to get to that gasket is another matter... Call it a feature, free water fountain.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

pseudonordic posted:

It's 2" tall where the current one I have is 11/16". :psyduck:

11/16 installed or uninstalled? They compress. Any time I've had leaking it has been from not tightening the bolts enough.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Clean the lint trap after every load.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

jackpot posted:

I can't figure out how this was attached so I can't figure out how to put it back. What happened? I assume I can't use anything permanent to fix it, like epoxy, because it has to be removable if I ever have to work on the sink, right?

Probably just slides on to the stick and then is held in place with a tiny set screw. Is there a small hole anywhere on the handle that is missing its set screw?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

monsterzero posted:

It seemed like the easiest thing for us to have hosed up, but now that you mentioned it it has continued to leak when not flushed... and the toilet/wax/flange should be ‘dry’ then, right? Hmm.

As stated above, I had a leak that I thought was wax ring related because that was where the water became visible. Reality was it was just a really really slow leak from the bolts that hold the tank to the throne.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

lol internet. posted:

I can't seem to find a way to take the handle off if that's even possible.

Behind the little yin/yang hot/cold symbol is a set screw to remove the handle.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

devicenull posted:

I have no opinions here other then you want way more valves around your filter. You want to be able to completely bypass the filter just by turning valves, so that when it starts leaking you're not without water until you can fix it.

Look up water softener bypasses, same idea.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Unkempt posted:

floor hole

Accurate description. Does this lead to a crawl space?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Cold is fine for the toilet-seat bidets, the water sits in the plastic tube and warms up to room temperature and it's actually fine.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I once had a tricky leak that I thought was the wax seal but turned out to be the bolts that bolt the tank to the bowl, tightened them up and the leak went away. Use strategic rags to verify where the leak is actually coming from.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

Goddamn dude, is the top of your water heater covered in rat poo poo?

Also: the storm collar where the flue pipe passes through the roof, is leaking like a sieve.

I mean, his water heater is in a lovely lean-to outside of the house so none of that is very unexpected.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

actionjackson posted:

do you have one of these seats?

I've got one that attaches under the seat, the cold water is fine.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Bioshuffle posted:

I cleared the p trap, reconnected everything, and poured boiling water down the sink. It still didn't clear the clog. Can I rule out an ice blockage? Or could it be the surface area is so small that even boiling water wouldn't be enough to melt everything?

Called a plumber and they said they won't come out until the weather improves.

Is that an outside wall?

If yes, it's probably frozen. Probably a good idea to leave your taps dripping to keep water flowing to prevent your feeds from freezing.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

B-Nasty posted:

I still remember the silly mnemonic from a kid's science book I read when I was like 8: "tite is on the top, and mite is on the bottom." Now you'll crush that Jeopardy question when it comes up.

Easier one: stalaCtite (ceiling), stalaGmite (ground)

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

everdave posted:

Here is the hump

You can shave that down with the lawnmower, just send it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Cut in a rectangular hole big enough to put a floor register in?