Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

SopWATh posted:

I have limited experience with sweating pipe, but the only tough part was being short I was always kinda looking up at the solder dripping down on my neck which hurts real bad.

A piece of advice from an older relative: attach your shutoff valves higher up than you need, then put a length of pipe with a coupling between the valve and your dielectric union so when you have to change the water heater in the future, you're removing that coupling rather than messing with the whole valve and junk.

That’s great advice and nuanced insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

My apartment toilet won’t flush all waste in a single flush. I don’t think it’s me because I’ve never had this issue before but with this toilet it happens every time.

Is there something I can tweak or get the maintenance team to tweak?

Or is it just a bad toilet?

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

angryrobots posted:

How is your fiber intake

Powerful, and consistent with what it has been for years. So again, it’s not like I’m suddenly pooping like the triceratops from Jurassic Park.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

shortspecialbus posted:

My wife's at a lovely rental unit to finish a medical residency and the toilet there you have to hold for like 5 seconds to flush anything solid. Is it anything like that? In her case it's just a really poor implementation of a water saving toilet and the apartment complex said it's behaving as expected.

I also have to hold the handle for like 5 seconds for it to actually flush but:

1. It’s an old toilet
2. There’s an enormous amount of water used per flush

So it’s not like it’s a designed water-efficient toilet.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

I also have to hold the handle for like 5 seconds for it to actually flush but:

1. It’s an old toilet
2. There’s an enormous amount of water used per flush

So it’s not like it’s a designed water-efficient toilet.

So no solution then? I am trapped in a double flush life?

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

PainterofCrap posted:

So: if you hit the handle once & let go:
- does it immediately stop flushing
or
- it's just slow to send water through the bowl/trap?

Immediately stop flushing!

If I hold the handle ~4 seconds it flushes completely, but remnants of the poop load still pop come back.

Thank you for your help friend.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

PainterofCrap posted:

OK your flapper valve is dropping closed too quickly. The first thing to try is to adjust the throw on the handle.

Pull the lid. There should be a chain connecting the lever to the flapper valve assembly. Try shortening it by either moving the lever end towards the far end of the lever (there should be a series of holes) or by shortening the chain by popping it loose & pulling it in a couple of links.

Experiment with adjustments until the flapper stays open for a full flush, then falls shut on its own.

If that doesn't work you may have to post photos of your flapper valve assembly & we'll go from there.

If the mail is still being returned after an uninterrupted flush, your tank water level may be low.

Thank you my friend!

I learned a lot from you and experimented with the devices. As you estimated, the flapper valve was dropping too quickly. I played around with the chain/lever and now it stays open.

The tank also does NOT fill up to the water line (at least the water line in the back of the toilet). Is there an easy fix?

Haven’t taken the new lever chain length for a test drive yet, so the waste management issue may have been solved anyway, but it’d be good to know how to adjust water level in the tank anyway.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 6, 2020

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

I found the screw for the float lever. I figured out which way to screw it in order to make it the tank fill. I screwed it that direction as far as it would go.

It still doesn’t reach the “water line”

Thoughts?

I will also give it a test run when the opportunity presents itself to see if mail is still returned to sender.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Motronic posted:

While I agree that should be close enough, the style float/valve you have in there looks like the standard fluidmaster replacement that I would have recommended. They are "universal" to some extent, so the tube that goes to the bottom of the tank and hold up the float assembly you are looking at is expandable. There's a little turn/lock on it and you can pull it up a stop or two and re-lock it and then adjust the fill screw again.

Okay! I managed to figure out how this works and can adjust it.

While learning, I knocked the little hose off the vertical tube and got water everywhere. I was terrified that I had broken it but everything popped back into place lol.

quote:

The screw right before the little hose that goes to the open tube is the next adjustment once you have your water level set. You close that off until the BOWL doesn't fill all the way, then keep opening it until the bowl just finishes filling when the tank stops filling. Since your maximum bowl fill level is based on the trap in the toilet itself, overfilling the bowl results in wasting water - it's going into the bowl and right back out again once it's all the way full.

This I couldn’t figure out. The screw on the rod/arm thing adjusted how much water filled in the tank and the bowl. So I don’t think that’s what you are talking about.

There might be a screw inside the puck object, in that little whole, but again that seemed to raise the water level for both the bowl and the tank at the same time.

I agree that if we had less water in the bowl, along with the new larger volume in the tank, we would reduce mail being returned to sender.

I appreciate your help y’all, this is a fun earning experience.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Okay! I managed to figure out how this works and can adjust it.

While learning, I knocked the little hose off the vertical tube and got water everywhere. I was terrified that I had broken it but everything popped back into place lol.

This I couldn’t figure out. The screw on the rod/arm thing adjusted how much water filled in the tank and the bowl. So I don’t think that’s what you are talking about.

There might be a screw inside the puck object, in that little whole, but again that seemed to raise the water level for both the bowl and the tank at the same time.

I agree that if we had less water in the bowl, along with the new larger volume in the tank, we would reduce mail being returned to sender.

I appreciate your help y’all, this is a fun earning experience.

Any advice on next steps?

Mail is still being returned to sender. Gosh darn it.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Any advice on next steps?

Mail is still being returned to sender. Gosh darn it.

Okay further research has been completed.

The tank has plenty of water. I think the problem is that the bowl itself has too much water. So a powerful flush still doesn’t move all the mail down the pipes. This some mail is returned to sender.

Q1. Does the hypothesis “too much water in the bowl means less complete flushes” make sense?

From research, there are three factors that determine the water level of the bowl:

1. Water level of tank (we can change this)
2. U-pipes of the toilet (we can’t change this)
3. Clog down the toilet (we can change this)

So I’m gonna:

1. get some toilet unclogging enzyme
2. Try lowering the amount of water in the tank and bowl. There’s such a large amount of water, maybe less will help the problem.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Gothmog1065 posted:

Honestly, it sounds like you're not getting enough water in the bowl to fully create the suction to pull out all your waste. When you flush, the toilet should fill then quickly drain out. When it's all done and air gets back up to release the vacuum in the pipe, you should have almost no water in your bowl, at which point the tank and bowl will fill up. It just seems like the vacuum isn't being held long enough to pull your poo poo over the turn in the toilet.

Everything you said makes a ton of sense.

But it seems to have made an improvement. Still not perfect, but better than when I tried increasing the water level of the tank and bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Everything you said makes a ton of sense.

But it seems to have made an improvement. Still not perfect, but better than when I tried increasing the water level of the tank and bowl.

I don’t get it. I tried 5 different levels of water and there was no setting where all the waste was flushed on one flush.

Is it just the toilet?

My poops have not changed in size. It’s just something about the toilet in my new apartment.