Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've never done any plumbing in my life, and I would normally call a plumber for this, but I'm hesitant to have anybody come into my house right now for covid-related reasons.

A few weeks ago, my bathroom sink started draining very slowly, like an hour for a cup of water to go down. Eventually it stopped draining all together. This hasn't been much of an issue; we just use a different sink.
Now the same problem has appeared in the shower adjacent to that sink; you're left standing in 1/4th an inch of water after a short shower. Unlike the sink, the shower does eventually drain completely.

If these are two separate problems that have cropped up independently at the same time, I'm reasonably confidant I can fix them by following a few youtube tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hySkwXMn0pA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXSTSqv2QR8

However, if these are symptoms of a larger problem that goes beyond the drains, that's way outside my skill level. Is there anything I can do to further diagnose this problem before I get down in the muck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I ended up snaking the shower since that's the most critical component. Pulled out a disgusting glob of hair and now it drains fine.

I disassembled the sink, but the p-trap, drain and stopper were all clean. I tried running the cheap plastic snake past the gooseneck and up into the wall, but I could never pull out anything substantial. Running hot water and plunging it just pulls up black sandy gunk into the sink. I can live without that sink for a while, but it feels like I'm right on the edge of breaking through.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Just the little plastic barbed thing for now. I know we have an actual snake around here somewhere but I couldn't find it yesterday.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I bought a drum auger to try and fix my non-draining bathroom sink, and I can work it down past the p-trap and into the wall, but I reach a certain point where I can't make any more progress. I don't know if I'm stuck on a pipe or on the clog, but the probe comes back clean every time I pull it out. Any tips? I don't want to give up, but standing there spinning the drum for half an hour gets tiring, and I don't want to break anything by doing it too violently.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Well, magically after complaining about it, I was able to finesse it a little bit, make some progress and finally hit the clog. I might have just pushed the clog farther back into the line because the probe came back with just a tiny bit of gunk on it, but it's draining perfectly for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Motronic posted:

Now that you have it flowing, fill that sink all the way up with the stopper in and then let'er rip down the drain. Should carry away anything else in there if you're lucky.

I tried this, and it somehow caused or revealed another clog. I was able to clear the new clog in the same manner as the previous one, but I went quite a bit further down with the auger, maybe 15 or 20 feet. This cleared the clog and now the sink drains perfectly, but again I wasn't able to bring up any hair or whatever on the probe, so I'm really baffled about what's causing it.

I'm just gonna leave it be for the moment and hope that settles it. We really only use that sink maybe twice a day.