Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve lived in this house for 10 years. The downstairs bathroom always kind of smelled, but I only used it for cleaning paint brushes and garage stuff, so I figured I was just old and gross.

Last year we decided to redo the basement into livable space. I swapped the sink with a new vanity, and replaced everything above the black ABS drain that goes into the concrete floor.

I don’t think I made any substantial changes, except that I Y’d a stub off the back of that black pipe into the garage, hoping to add a new paintbrush-etc sink later.

I’ve got a sewer smell coming up through the sink drain. I think it’s the same smells I had for years, but I’m not sure. I asked in the DIY thread and now I’m second-guessing that maybe it’s a new problem I’ve caused.

Ideas? Can I actually legally use that stub I put into the garage as a sink drain later? Will putting a vent on that stub maybe solve my smells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's a Delta, but it's also old, so who knows its a valve I can still get. Might just replace the tub faucet and handle since I don't like this style anyway. I like having separate controls for flow and temp, not just "always on full blast" with temp control.

If you change your mind, you can just call Delta and they’ll send you a new cartridge for free, no matter how old, as long as you pinky swear you’re the original owner of the fixture.

edit: oops. That’s a Moen thing. No idea if Delta has the same policy.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 1, 2019

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

scuz posted:

am i losing my mind or is it truly possible that whoever installed the bathroom in our house did so without putting in a single supply valve to the tub faucet?? our delta 1400 series tub faucet is leaking and i could fix the motherfucker if i could find the supply valves, but i can't find a single one behind the wall or in the basement :mad:

Neither of my tubs have them. I turn off water to the whole house when I change cartridges. It’s a mild inconvenience.

I suspect having them on soldered-in fixtures would be more rare than not.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

scuz posted:

Yeah this is the answer I've arrived at but have one wee question:

The hot water heater doesn't have a valve anywhere except for the cold side/inlet. If I turn off the main water supply to the house and turn the cold side water to the water heater, will that keep the hot water from flowing OUT of the heater? This is obviously my first time doing any of this.

The one main cold shutoff will shut off everything. Your hot water is pressurized by the city supply too.

Opening a basement sink will drain the upper lines.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm finally circling back to my utility sink project if anyone remembers.

I think I have all of the hardware I need, but as I was taking a closer look at the drain I was planning on using and I noticed that it's capped.

The line with the green valve handle is the drain as far as I can tell, and I was hoping to use it to drain the lines after shutting the main inlet valve.

It appears to be brazed on, is it just a matter of taking the torch to it and pulling it off?

Just cut it. You won’t be able to torch that hot enough to melt the solder with water inside.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-0-62...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BonerGhost posted:

Is there a purpose for stubs in copper supply lines? I've got a leaky T fitting in my kitchen that needs to be replaced, and it's right below the vertical stub. I'm not super keen on replacing that portion if it's just a leftover.

Are you talking about the water hammer arrestor? You want that so your pipes don’t rattle when you turn off the faucet.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BonerGhost posted:

It's just a section of pipe that extends vertically past the tee and is capped off, not a device. Does this actually function as an arrestor?

The idea here is to have a bubble of air trapped in the vertical sections to act as a spring.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is it possible to buy an 1-1/4 drain stopper assembly that I can tighten down onto a hole cut into a 5gal bucket?

Everything I found at the big box store was made to fit a tapered hole in an actual sink. I even bought one for a mobile home, but no amount of plumbers putty will make it work.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BubbaGrace posted:

Maybe a drain assembly for a vessel sink might work. You will need to find one with no overflow openings.

I was looking at something like this, if I could just swap the rubber bits for flat seals, but the guy wearing a vest had no patience for my nonsense.

https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444437568609.htm

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I completely regret not buying an elongated toilet.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Be careful not to overtighten your new drain with that tool.

Cracking a cast iron tub because I thought tighter means less leaks was my first rookie homeowner mistake.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m trying to replace the cartridge in this:

I got it apart and realized that the valve body is just floating in the wall. Not attached to a stud like I think it should be.

The only thing keeping the valve body in place was JB Weld slathered between a plastic trim ring behind the wall and the chrome sleeve over the cartridge body.

There’s no fixing this correctly without opening a wall, right? The opposite side of the wall is another fiberglass shower kit in another bathroom.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Welp, I’m putting in a new cartridge then sealing it up with more JBWeld. Next time it leaks, I guess I’m buying a new shower kit.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Taking the pieces to the store is always a good idea, but if you try to pull out the valve packing, you’ll just get a handful of graphite crumbles.

This is what usually packs around the handle stem. I got blank stares last time I asked for it at HD. Watch a YouTube to see how tight to pack it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-3-32-in-x-36-in-Valve-Packing-80794/203193512

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Buck Turgidson posted:

Alright I've done some basic toilet maintenance before but I've never seen a setup like this:

I’d just replace it all. The semi-universal kits are cheap and easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I love my previous-owner for exclusively installing Delta fixtures that share a cartridge that I can buy in bulk packs at Lowes.

I don't love that I have to replace a different one every month.