Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How do I normalize a set of X-Y data points relative to a specified point in that set? I have some spectra that I've collected for my research and I'm trying to normalize them to an internal standard, i.e. assign the standard peak to a Y-value of 1 and adjust the Y-values of all other points relative to that. Normally I do this in Origin since it has a simple function to normalize such data sets relative to the highest Y-value, except in some of my data sets the standard peak isn't the highest Y-value, so the function doesn't work as intended and I can't figure out how to make the built-in Origin function normalize to anything but the highest peak. So I guess if you've worked with Origin, I'll take an answer for how to do it there as well :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ZerodotJander posted:

Couldn't you just divide all of the Y values by the highest Y value (or whatever you're normalizing against)?

Easiest way to do that is to copy the Y value, select the data set, Paste Special and choose Divide.

:doh: Oh duh, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thank you!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 27, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there a function to normalize a data set between 0 and 1, and if so what is it? Normally I just normalize by dividing everything in the set by the highest value therein, but I'm curious to see what it looks like if the lowest value is 0 as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh duh, that seems kind of obvious now that I see it. Thanks!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm planning my wedding and currently have all of my guests' addresses stored in an Excel sheet. Is there a way I can arrange these names into cells to print on a 3x10 grid? What I'm hoping to do is to print the names onto a sheet or two of labels to save a little time in writing envelopes (the labels come in sheets of 10 rows and 3 columns), we have a Word template at work to print labels for sample storage that's kind of what I'm going for, but the cells contents there are linked together for sequential numbering, where I want each spot on the grid to have a unique entry, which is why I'm trying to figure out how to get it in Excel.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 2, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
We are starting cycle time tracking on samples at work, and currently housing the information in Excel spreadsheets. Right now we're logging sample IDs, the date and time we receive them, and the date & time we release them in our inventory (usually same day or next day). Currently someone has to go into the sheet at the end of each day and manually calculate and record the cycle time for each sample, which we report in hours (i.e. an hour and a half is reported as 1.5). There has to be a way to have Excel auto-calculate this, right? Even with the fact that samples often come in on a given day but don't get released until the next morning?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What about something where a sample comes in at 11 AM today but gets released at 10 AM the following day? Is there a way to factor in a date from a different cell? I think I figured out how to get it if you have the data & time in the same cell but I'd like to be able to keep our current sheet format if possible.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ShimaTetsuo posted:

If you have start date in column A, start time in column B, end date in column C and end time in column D, then ((C1+D1)-(A1+B1))*24 is the time difference between them in hours, regardless of which day they occur on. You can round it to whatever you need after that (nearest half hour?).

It's because dates are stored as integers and times are decimals between 0 and 1, so a date + a time is the corresponding date-time, and differences of those give you day fractions.

That is super-helpful to know, also I found the MROUND function that lets you round to the nearest user-defined multiple so I think I've got exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm back! This time I have a spreadsheet with a bunch of details regarding boxes of documents we're storing. I'm trying to add a column where I mark things are keep-able, shred-able, and stuff that needs review-

The "Clean-up Disposition" column is the one I added, however I want to make it a column that I can sort by entries like the other columns (notice the arrows for drop-down menus). I have no idea how to do that though, help me out please?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Excel has a function that deletes duplicate entries in a selected area. Is there a function that will instead highlight where duplicate entries in a single column? Have a long list where columns A-C contain info, I'm trying to remove rows where there are duplicate entries in A, but those rows contain info in columns B and C that need to be copied into the single rows for each value in A.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Richard Noggin posted:

Conditional formatting has a "highlight duplicates" feature.

That there is! Thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have a multi-sheet workbook where one or more cells in Sheet 1 are used to populate a given cell in Sheet 2. However, I sometimes need to sort Sheet 1 in certain ways that then throw off the cell references in Sheet 2. Is there a way to lock in these references such that a certain cell will be always used, even if its position changes? I thought about maybe using VLOOKUP since there are some common ID cells between the two that could be used, but I'm already using a VLOOKUP function (with values from "Sheet 3") to populate the Sheet 1 values that I need to put into Sheet 2, and the ID cells aren't common across all three sheets (so Sheets 1 and 3 have the same IDs in the first column, while Sheets 1 and 2 share IDs in a different column that's not the first). I'll try posting an example later when I'm not on my phone.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to highlight a cell or row based on the contents of two cells in the same row, relative to each other. I have a spreadsheet where one column is a Category number (1,2,3 etc.) and another column is a Value (0~200 let's say). I want to write a rule or function that says for example "For each row, if Category = 1 and Value is between X and Y, highlight that row (or some assigned cell within that row)", and so on for Category = 2 or 3 or further up. Is that a thing in Excel?

E: The obvious answer is to make a separate tab for each Category value since there's only four or five of those, but I'm trying to keep all rows on the same sheet if possible.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 27, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Speaking of SUMIF functions and time, my wife is working up a simple expense sheet for her startup to help her break down costs by type and month-

The SUMIF for breaking down costs based on type is easy enough, but I'm not sure how best to do the by month SUMIF. Is there something I have to add to the second argument of the function to help it recognize months in Column B, or do I need to write out the months in Column I in a certain way?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 2, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Creating an Excel form for work, how do I set up a cell to be filled in by selecting a value from a drop-down menu when clicking on the cell? I've filled out a thousand Excel sheets for customers with this feature but I'm completely blanking on how to create a cell like that...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

kumba posted:

Data tab > Data Validation > List of values

Can you define the values that populate the drop-down list without needing to reference cells elsewhere in the sheet? That appears to be my only way of getting more than one value onto the list.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Commas! I was trying to be fancy with semicolons. Thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have a simple Excel sheet to track my spending vs my income, with each month's transactions set up in columns as

code:
Date      Transaction Name      Cost      Money Before      Money After
I want to use these data to start setting up an actual budget, and hoping to automate it to an extent by the fact that transactions use the same names month to month (Mortgage, Groceries, various utilities etc.) or that certain types of transactions have their cells highlighted. I'm picturing something like a VLOOKUP that can look across a user-defined range of multiple sheets in a workbook, and return the average of the associated values. Is that just a cleverly written VLOOKUP or is there another function for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If they were all in one sheet, this would be a good use case for a pivot table. Multiple sheets complicate it a lot. Are you wedded to that design?

Not particularly, and finally getting serious about a household budget feels like a good excuse to overhaul the system.