Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Old James posted:

code:
=CONCATENATE(OFFSET($A$1,ROUNDDOWN((ROW()-1)/3,0),0),OFFSET($B$1,MOD(ROW()-1,3),0))

This is loving brilliant. If 'Column B' does have four values to concatenate to 'Column A', then the 3's in the above code should be 4's. Just copy the code and paste it into cell C1, assuming data starts in A1 and B1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8164867/excel-macro-formula-adding-quotes-around-formular-causing-vlookup-to-not-work

TL;DR - You cannot mix RC and A1 style references in the same formula.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Yeah I had to refine the search quite a few times before anything close turned up. Sometimes it is just dumb luck!

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought to do, but given that this is for a class, I was wondering if there's some lesson I'm supposed to be applying. A quick Google Search didn't give me much (and I'm not sure what to look for).

That sounds like a decent 'lesson' itself - you need to error-proof or otherwise filter your inputs to avoid bad data. Garbage in = Garbage out!

Anyways, what part of this are you allowed to modify or what part did you create? Can't you just ignore zero-unit bids, look for the lowest bid that is greater than zero?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

You can use indirect inside the sum formula: '=sum(indirect("A2:A"&B9)) , where B9 is your value of the last row. You're basically creating the range of cells in string form so you can append the last number/row from your specified cell.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Haven't had my caffeine yet but convert each sheet into a named table and merge them using Power Query into a single table which you 'Load To' a new sheet?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Switch to INDEX(MATCH()) instead of VLOOKUP. The last argument of MATCH() is a -1,0,1 value that specifies how the lookup value is compared in the lookup array; a value of -1 will find the smallest value that is greater than or equal to the lookup.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Can you just format the line series and turn off line color, leaving only marker color enabled?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Does anyone know of a way to filter data by wildcard in power query?

For example, I want to filter out

Filter this out
Filter that out

I'd think you could do
Filter*out

To catch both, but it doesn't seem to work?

Could you check for 'starts with Filter' and 'ends with out' instead? Can't seem to find docs on power query wildcards but it doesn't look as easy as * or %.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Dependent dropdowns? https://exceljet.net/dependent-dropdown-lists

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to highlight a cell or row based on the contents of two cells in the same row, relative to each other. I have a spreadsheet where one column is a Category number (1,2,3 etc.) and another column is a Value (0~200 let's say). I want to write a rule or function that says for example "For each row, if Category = 1 and Value is between X and Y, highlight that row (or some assigned cell within that row)", and so on for Category = 2 or 3 or further up. Is that a thing in Excel?

E: The obvious answer is to make a separate tab for each Category value since there's only four or five of those, but I'm trying to keep all rows on the same sheet if possible.

You can do that with conditional formatting. Are you going to have the X and Y values hardcoded or will you want to be able to adjust them?

An example where the X and Y values are taken from cells on the sheet:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

I have a big spreadsheet which was set up in a clumsy manner, the biggest problem being that it combines two variables in single columns. I want to separate these columns of combined variables into separate columns.

That can be done with an unpivot and then column split in the Power Query editor if you are willing to lose the cell/color formatting. There are other benefits to this method like being able to go back and edit the steps but I won't preach my Business Intelligence Bull poo poo here. You may have to download the PQ add-on from Microsoft if you don't have it installed.

1. Select the entire range of data then go to the Power Query tab and click 'From Table/Range', it should open the PQ editor. Open the Transform tab, click the Year column header, then click the dropdown next to Unpivot Columns and click Unpivot Other Columns. You should then have 3 columns titled Year, Attribute, and Value which correspond to your Year, Agency Crime, and Count columns.

2. Click the Attribute column, click the Extract button, then the Text After Delimiter dropdown option. Enter the hyphen as the delimiter and click OK, it should split that Attribute column to Attribute.1 and Attribute.2 columns. You may have to play around with this or other split/extract functions depending on the data you actually have. I can imagine your agencies may not all conform to a single rule. :)

3. Then you can rename all of the columns as you want - just double click on the column header.

4. When you're done, go back to the Home tab and click Close & Load To..., then select where you want to put the new table - probably a new worksheet. Click Load and you're done!

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Haven't had my caffeine yet this morning but that sounds like a job for a union/merge with a date table. Create another table that has all the dates for the month and add that to PQ, then do a merge from that table to your receipts table using the date fields and a Full Outer join. This will match & merge all of the dates from both tables, any dates with blank receipts will still show up.

If it were me, I'd create a date table with the next year+ of dates that also has columns for fiscal year, fiscal month, and fiscal week. Then when you do your monthly analysis, just add a step before the merge mentioned above and filter the date table to month you're working on.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Before pasting CSV data or otherwise importing, select the entire sheet and change the number formatting to Text?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Oh god you're dealing with that sort of stuff. Yeah I would be using SSIS/SQL or even Access if I had to as Excel is not going to be friendly.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Add the CSV file as a data source (Power Query > From File > From Text/CSV), ignore whatever happens in the first dialog and hit the Edit button to open up the PQ editor. Then on the far right-hand side, click the gear icon to the right of the Source step on this new query and play around with the Line Breaks and Delimiter options. You've kinda already done this so it may not work either. The Transform > Split Column > By Delimiter option may be useful too.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

A Real Happy Camper posted:

I have a sheet that is being sent to a variety of people to fill out with inventory items, and I want to have a second sheet that can collect the data from all the copies of the first.

I realize this is a bit on the "using excel when you should have a proper database" spectrum, but I'm pretty much just working within the limits of what my IT department will let me do.

Is there a way to set up the data import tools to have a pre-set range that they're querying, and put them in a sheet in a way that doesn't overwrite the data that's been imported previously? Or at least be conditional so that if the location is X, that data is saved in column X, etc.?

I'm basically trying to semi-idiot proof it for my manager. For bonus difficulty, our corporate license is for Office 2016, so running it on that is ideal.

A Real Happy Camper posted:

It's ~30 different branches, with all different levels of ability, so I'll probably just set up a folder for my manager to use, and fill it with blank forms for the time being.

I'm gonna pimp Power Query again as this is another great use case for it that doesn't require any coding to set up and would allow you an unlimited number of forms that are all compiled into one master file at the click of the 'refresh' button. The only requirement is that you all have access to SharePoint or OneDrive, including all of your branches, although technically a network shared folder would work too...

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Is the Book1 file already open when you run it and get that error?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Apologies I'm a few years out of having done any VBA and also a few beers into a frickin'-mondays-dude evening but I think you do have to save the file if you're going to reference it like that. Otherwise I think you can just activate the specific sheet you need if the file is already open regardless of saved status and ultimately there is some sort of application goto code you could use that references both the file and sheet name.

Based on your original description, I would recommend your process start with saving that exported data file to a location that's easily accessible like the Downloads file or Desktop or whatever. Then close the file (or don't, shouldn't matter), open your macro workbook, and click the button. You can either build the macro to always open the Book1.xlsx from the same folder location or you could have the macro do a file-open dialog and you pick the file, whatever floats your boat.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Combine the date and time column pairs so you have a date-time data type (yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss) then subtract the two new date-time cells. You shouldn't need a duration or datedif formula for this as Excel handles it natively. You may need to do some math to get it into just hours though.

If you can't combine the columns then that requires more brain power than I'm able to provide right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Mostly yes, with Power Query. The most relevant example I can find: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/web/web-by-example

There are a ton of caveats with web scraping but in general it works. You can get it to happen automatically but by default you'll have to hit the 'Refresh All' button on the Data tab. It may be against the website's Terms of Service, there may be a rate limit, they may just tired of the web calls and block you, etc. But I wouldn't really be worried about any of that with your use case.