Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Ice posted:

One of the astigmatisms in my eyes has a cylinder of -1.00. All the contact lenses I can find have only -0.75 and -1.25 as options. Are there any that have -1.00 that you know of? My contact lenses now use -0.75 instead, and I can definitely tell the difference when reading or using a computer (My glasses have the correct prescription). It is only a small difference I guess, but printed characters all look slightly weird with the incorrect prescription. Thanks.

-1.00 does not exist for contact lenses.

if you are having issues, speak with your contact lens fitter about it. They will fix you right up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Thunderpussy posted:

Clear Care, Clear Care, Clear Care!!

And yes, its not uncommon to not correct slight amounts of astigmatism in contact lenses.

Thanks, that's good to know about my lenses and astigmatism.

Unfortunately Clear Care isn't available here in the UK without shipping it from the US. Do you know of any other brands like it? I'm a little confused as to the differences between the solutions and cases to be honest. I've got a barrel case and my optician's generic multipurpose solution. I've seen this solution:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opti-Free-R...=contact+lenses

that comes with it's own flat cases, and is supposed to work for silicone hydrogel. So I have two questions:

1) What's the difference between my generic multipurpose and the one above in terms of how they clean? Are they both hydrogen peroxide-based?
2) What kind of case can I use? I currently use a barrel case, which uses up quite a lot of solution; the solution linked above comes with flat cases

If the OptiFree solution above is better than the generic, and can be used with a flat case, I'd go with that as it'd probably be cheaper each month.

e: I've just seen this (AOSept) which is apparently the same as Clear Care:
http://www.boots.com/en/AOSept-Plus-2-x-360ml_1144002/

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 14, 2014

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Lady Gaza posted:

Thanks, that's good to know about my lenses and astigmatism.

Unfortunately Clear Care isn't available here in the UK without shipping it from the US. Do you know of any other brands like it? I'm a little confused as to the differences between the solutions and cases to be honest. I've got a barrel case and my optician's generic multipurpose solution. I've seen this solution:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opti-Free-R...=contact+lenses

that comes with it's own flat cases, and is supposed to work for silicone hydrogel. So I have two questions:

1) What's the difference between my generic multipurpose and the one above in terms of how they clean? Are they both hydrogen peroxide-based?
2) What kind of case can I use? I currently use a barrel case, which uses up quite a lot of solution; the solution linked above comes with flat cases

If the OptiFree solution above is better than the generic, and can be used with a flat case, I'd go with that as it'd probably be cheaper each month.

e: I've just seen this (AOSept) which is apparently the same as Clear Care:
http://www.boots.com/en/AOSept-Plus-2-x-360ml_1144002/

AOSept is indeed what you'd be looking for. give it a go and you'll see (ha ha) why it's the best!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Thunderpussy posted:

AOSept is indeed what you'd be looking for. give it a go and you'll see (ha ha) why it's the best!

You're right, it's awesome! I must have had protein buildup or something as the lenses are much clearer. It's also great to not have to rub the lenses. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Lady Gaza posted:

You're right, it's awesome! I must have had protein buildup or something as the lenses are much clearer. It's also great to not have to rub the lenses. Thanks for the recommendation!

Anytime! Glad to have helped!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Do you guys use Clear Care everyday? My doctor told me to use it once or twice a week and it only makes a slight difference.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

wormil posted:

Do you guys use Clear Care everyday? My doctor told me to use it once or twice a week and it only makes a slight difference.

all day e'ry day son!

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

How often do frames get lost/damaged when they get sent out to have new lenses put in? I had frames from 13yrs ago that are the only pair I have ever tried on that was both extremely comfy and looked good; perfect in every way. I try frames on anytime I'm in an eye place for whatever reason & I have such a small head that I basically have to shop the kids/teens frames to find anything that fits right (isn't too big for my head). I had an exam today, and although I only plan to use glasses for late night/emergency, I think I'd cry if they got lost/damaged during the process. Insurance offers $175 toward frames, but I wasn't about to go through tons and tons of glasses trying to find ones I love as much as my current ones. I've browsed websites & if I narrow it down by width to match the range of my current glasses, I get 10-20 results, maybe 3-5 in womens, 5-10 in kids, and even fewer if I narrow it down to the frame shape I prefer.

I got contacts not long after getting those frames, so they look brand new because once I no longer had insurance, I could never afford to update the lenses in addition to getting contacts. So I've been using contacts all these years, but now I'm to the point where having up to date glasses would be nice for times where I don't want to put my contacts back in just to briefly watch something, or in an emergency where I need to be able to see.

On a side note, I had been using Purevision contacts for years, and I just made the switch to test driving the new B+L Ultra contacts. Love them. I thought my Purevisions felt nice compared to whatever I was using before (some other/older material), but so far the Ultra's have blown those out of the water for comfort. It legitimately feels like there's nothing there. If that changes & they don't work out for me as the weeks go on, I'll just switch back, but so far I'm happy. Anyone have any idea when they may come out with a toric version? I know eventually I'm going to have to suck it up, deal with the uncomfy feeling/bulge of the weight, and switch to toric since I'm to the point where I probably should.

IdeoPhanthus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 19, 2014

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

IdeoPhanthus posted:

How often do frames get lost/damaged when they get sent out to have new lenses put in? I had frames from 13yrs ago that are the only pair I have ever tried on that was both extremely comfy and looked good; perfect in every way. I try frames on anytime I'm in an eye place for whatever reason & I have such a small head that I basically have to shop the kids/teens frames to find anything that fits right (isn't too big for my head). I had an exam today, and although I only plan to use glasses for late night/emergency, I think I'd cry if they got lost/damaged during the process. Insurance offers $175 toward frames, but I wasn't about to go through tons and tons of glasses trying to find ones I love as much as my current ones. I've browsed websites & if I narrow it down by width to match the range of my current glasses, I get 10-20 results, maybe 3-5 in womens, 5-10 in kids, and even fewer if I narrow it down to the frame shape I prefer.

I got contacts not long after getting those frames, so they look brand new because once I no longer had insurance, I could never afford to update the lenses in addition to getting contacts. So I've been using contacts all these years, but now I'm to the point where having up to date glasses would be nice for times where I don't want to put my contacts back in just to briefly watch something, or in an emergency where I need to be able to see.

On a side note, I had been using Purevision contacts for years, and I just made the switch to test driving the new B+L Ultra contacts. Love them. I thought my Purevisions felt nice compared to whatever I was using before (some other/older material), but so far the Ultra's have blown those out of the water for comfort. It legitimately feels like there's nothing there. If that changes & they don't work out for me as the weeks go on, I'll just switch back, but so far I'm happy. Anyone have any idea when they may come out with a toric version? I know eventually I'm going to have to suck it up, deal with the uncomfy feeling/bulge of the weight, and switch to toric since I'm to the point where I probably should.

Hard to say really. Older frames mean more brittle plastic, and if its metal the soldering points can be weakened. Its totally at your own risk generally, but ask what the specific companies policy is when using your own frames.

As for when or IF a toric version will come out...well, its really hard to say. Usually its 3 or 4 years after the initial launch, but that depends on things like sales too.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Going on 4 years now of scleral lens in the left eye and corneal RGP in the right eye (keratoconus) and happy to report that the scleral lens is basically a godsend and has not needed to be adjusted since I've gotten it (have gone in 3 times since and has always been the same).

The only issues are when something happens to one of the lenses, trying to get in ASAP as I find it difficult to navigate between regular health insurance (which covers the lenses for me since they're medically necessary) and vision insurance when talking to optometrists offices and then trying to convince someone that it is actually quite a pressing issue and if they can't get you in for a month then you will basically be one-eyed for that month and a danger while driving and performing your job (if your job involves scalpels and animals' lives at least). Since most of the patients can just put on their glasses or get a new contact the day they come in from a trial set while their rx is ordered, most people don't really think of it as an urgent scenario but it is for me!

All that in mind I'm moving across the country and a bit nervous about finding a provider who can fit me with scleral lenses since there's kind of a limited number of optometrists who do that at this time.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Is there anything I can do for itchy eyes from wearing contacts? I'm tired of glasses but every time I attempt to wear contacts, I can wear them until after lunch and then my eyes just constantly itch from wearing them and I have to take them out.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Topoisomerase posted:

Going on 4 years now of scleral lens in the left eye and corneal RGP in the right eye.

Where are you moving Topo? I've been following the vet thread because my wife is a new vet (finishing an internship at OK State - she'll be home tomorrow!) I'm actually an optometrist in mid-Missouri and I have a few connections across the country. Myself and the people I graduated with took workshops on scleral lenses and I've fit a few successfully. I can try to find an optometrist in your area if I know someone there.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
My last eye appointment was a bit under 2 years ago. Previously, my rx didn't change very much at all, and I don't think it's been affected a bunch over the past 2 years. Is there any way to get contacts in the US without having to provide or verify my rx? I know exactly the strength and diameter and that good stuff, but not an official, signed rx that's up to date. I am currently insuranceless and would rather not drop bundles of cash for my doc to say, "Yep, you're pretty much in the same spot as before."

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Glasses in the US are annoying. In south Korea I could walk into a shop that sells glasses pick out frames either have my eyes checked right then or just tell the guy the prescription. The guy then shapes and fits the lens in the frames there and you walk out with glasses.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
I'm interested in wearing cosmetic sclera-colouring contact lenses, such as the ones from http://www.9mmsfx.com/
I do currently wear regular contacts, but sometimes it takes a couple or three tries to actually get them in my eye. Will I be able to do sclera covering lenses?

Further, they don't cater for an astigmatism. I have a 0.75 astigmatism in my right eye, what should I do to get close to vision correction? Will this make the lens uncomfortable?

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

kloa posted:

Is there anything I can do for itchy eyes from wearing contacts? I'm tired of glasses but every time I attempt to wear contacts, I can wear them until after lunch and then my eyes just constantly itch from wearing them and I have to take them out.

Drops, a different brand of lens, a better fit, clear care.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

spider wisdom posted:

My last eye appointment was a bit under 2 years ago. Previously, my rx didn't change very much at all, and I don't think it's been affected a bunch over the past 2 years. Is there any way to get contacts in the US without having to provide or verify my rx? I know exactly the strength and diameter and that good stuff, but not an official, signed rx that's up to date. I am currently insuranceless and would rather not drop bundles of cash for my doc to say, "Yep, you're pretty much in the same spot as before."

Cant help you. I'm from Canada.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Glasses in the US are annoying. In south Korea I could walk into a shop that sells glasses pick out frames either have my eyes checked right then or just tell the guy the prescription. The guy then shapes and fits the lens in the frames there and you walk out with glasses.

There are plenty of places in Canada and the US that can do this as well.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Synonymous posted:

I'm interested in wearing cosmetic sclera-colouring contact lenses, such as the ones from http://www.9mmsfx.com/
I do currently wear regular contacts, but sometimes it takes a couple or three tries to actually get them in my eye. Will I be able to do sclera covering lenses?

Further, they don't cater for an astigmatism. I have a 0.75 astigmatism in my right eye, what should I do to get close to vision correction? Will this make the lens uncomfortable?

Not sure. They would definately be more difficult.

You will also need to somehow determine what base curve to order.

It could make the vision blurry without the astigmatism correction.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
I'm interested in switching to Clear Care, but what do you do if you want to take your contacts out for a short while during the day? Say to go swimming or something.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What's the deal with transitions lenses? Are they huge money-makers for eyeglass salesmen or something?

I had transitions lenses about ten years ago, and while they were kinda cool at first, eventually they got annoying and I ditched them. Then, when I got new glasses two years ago, I was talked into getting them again, because supposedly all the things I didn't like about them had been fixed. Turns out that, while it was better than it was ten years ago, they're still annoying and I want to get rid of them.

So today I went to the optometrist to find out how much it would cost to switch out the lenses for non-transitions, and the immediate response was "Why don't you want transitions?" I told them my issues, and they said "Oh, they've gotten so much better than 2 years ago, they're on v7 now and all the issues you're complaining about have been fixed."

Why do they push the transitions so hard, and is he telling the truth when he says that there's a new version of transitions that came out at the beginning of this year that is significantly better than the old ones?

Also, I was eventually able to convince him I didn't want the transitions, and he quoted me a price of $490 to switch out my lenses. That sounds high, but my glasses have always been crazy expensive due to a strong prescription and getting the high index lenses with anti-glare coating and all that jazz. He told me about some new anti-glare super clear coating that would go on the lenses, that also comes with a 2-year no questions asked scratch replacement warranty. They are Zeiss lenses. He said his lenses had it, and I have to admit, his lenses were crystal-loving-clear. You could barely even tell there were lenses in the frames. Any idea what he was talking about, and if it's worth it or if it's snake-oil?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't have an answer on your second question, but what don't you like about transitions? I can't imagine having lenses without it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They seem to stay dark way too long after coming in from the outside. That would be my main complaint.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Guy Axlerod posted:

They seem to stay dark way too long after coming in from the outside. That would be my main complaint.

That's my number one complaint. Also that's what the guy said is much better in the new version, supposedly.

Also, I remember when I first got them, I felt the tint had a distinct red shade to it instead of a "regular" sunglasses shade, but either that's worked itself out, or I've gotten used to it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Where are you moving Topo? I've been following the vet thread because my wife is a new vet (finishing an internship at OK State - she'll be home tomorrow!) I'm actually an optometrist in mid-Missouri and I have a few connections across the country. Myself and the people I graduated with took workshops on scleral lenses and I've fit a few successfully. I can try to find an optometrist in your area if I know someone there.

I moved to Suffolk county (on Long Island).

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Topoisomerase posted:

I moved to Suffolk county (on Long Island).

Look up Gwen Gnadt in Ronkonkoma. She was the residency director for one of my classmates and works at a private practice there.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What's up with this clear care stuff? Will my eyes burn every time I use it??

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

returnh posted:

I'm interested in switching to Clear Care, but what do you do if you want to take your contacts out for a short while during the day? Say to go swimming or something.

keep some traditional solution around for this purpose :)

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Xun posted:

What's up with this clear care stuff? Will my eyes burn every time I use it??

not if you read and follow the instructions. give the proper amount of time for the solution to neutralize.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

Thunderpussy posted:

keep some traditional solution around for this purpose :)

So it's okay to switch back and forth? Thanks!

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I apologize if this has already been answered but there are 50 pages.

First question, my glasses got really scratched up. I've never had glasses scratch this easily, just from wiping them. I don't know if its because they darken for sunlight or what. Anyway, I want to replace just the lenses. I bought them originally from my doctor. Can he order replacements without me getting a new exam, even if its been over a year? Do I even have to go to him or is there another option?

Second question, I have astigmatism so I don't know if its related. But my eyes seem to lose focus occasionally, both with glasses and contacts. It seems to occur if I am zoned out either watching tv or on the computer and my eyes start to close partially. When I change focus, suddenly things like words are blurry. It'll last for some time and the only solution is to squint until it goes away on its own, which might take half an hour.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

spider wisdom posted:

Walmart has basic eye exams for around $50, exams for contacts $10-$15 more than that. And even if you don't think there's a change there can be a slight one, or the optometrist could notice something important like a change in eye pressure that you didn't know prior. I don't know how many times I've had minor changes that make big deals in my vision because I've worn glasses since I was a toddler and had it drilled into me that getting seen every two years if you have no underlying eye problem is important.

In my case, I see ophthalmology every 3-6 months because I have Sjogren's Syndrome and my dry eyes are unbearable. Wouldn't have thought it was important to go that often if I hadn't made that first appointment.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I apologize if this has already been answered but there are 50 pages.

First question, my glasses got really scratched up. I've never had glasses scratch this easily, just from wiping them. I don't know if its because they darken for sunlight or what. Anyway, I want to replace just the lenses. I bought them originally from my doctor. Can he order replacements without me getting a new exam, even if its been over a year? Do I even have to go to him or is there another option?

Second question, I have astigmatism so I don't know if its related. But my eyes seem to lose focus occasionally, both with glasses and contacts. It seems to occur if I am zoned out either watching tv or on the computer and my eyes start to close partially. When I change focus, suddenly things like words are blurry. It'll last for some time and the only solution is to squint until it goes away on its own, which might take half an hour.

first answer is Yes. Just call and explain the damage to the lenses and that you need replacements. there may even be a warranty left on then!

second answer is that this is somewhat common. It sounds a bit like eye strain to me and could be a sign that you need a new Rx. Has it been going on long? if it has, then when you get your new lenses made perhaps mention in to the doc. at the very least that info can be added to your chard for your next visit and will be addressed then.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

LivesInGrey posted:

In my case, I see ophthalmology every 3-6 months because I have Sjogren's Syndrome and my dry eyes are unbearable. Wouldn't have thought it was important to go that often if I hadn't made that first appointment.

I'm an ophthalmology technician and it's actually kind of sad at how much irreversible damage could be avoided if people made a regular visit with one the way they do for their physical.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm about to finish my supply of Opti-Free Pure Moist and based on the recommendations in this thread, I'm switching to Clear Care. I know you're supposed to wait 6 hours, but if I have to cut things short, can I wear my contacts if I give them a quick rinse with my travel size of Opti-Free? I wear Acuvue Oasys.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 25, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Just wanted to post and thank Thunderpussy for saying (at one point or another) that eye exams are very participatory. I had my first eye exam ever this morning, and as part of the pre-exam they had me look into a machine that blinked points of light at varying intensities around the edges of my vision, and I had to push a button every time I saw one. It became quickly obvious that after the machine stopped moving, it would flash the light, so a part of my brain was urging me to "optimize" the exercise by simply pressing the button every time the machine stopped moving. However, I recalled stuff I'd read in this thread, and didn't cheat. I'm glad I knew this, or else I could have given a pretty misleading performance.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If I don't have my prescription but do have my glasses, it should be possible to get a new one based on that, right?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

If I don't have my prescription but do have my glasses, it should be possible to get a new one based on that, right?

I know if the lenses you have are prismed, they won't be able to read back the prescription or the prism. I think there are some other things that can make the prescription checker useless as well, but if you don't have any of that, you should be fine.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

I know if the lenses you have are prismed, they won't be able to read back the prescription or the prism. I think there are some other things that can make the prescription checker useless as well, but if you don't have any of that, you should be fine.

exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Likely a stupid question, but...

My most recent set of glasses were ordered online from zennioptical.com - the lenses are perfect, better than anything I've ever had, but the frames themselves are warped (plastic). I've had them about a week.

I emailed them about it, they suggested taking them to a local shop to have them adjusted; if they can't be adjusted to fit, they'll replace the frames.

How much can I expect to pay to have a place that didn't actually sell me the glasses handle adjustment of the frames? Again, they're some form of plastic, so it'll involve a heat gun. I suspect most chain shops won't touch them.

Also, I've noticed that since getting the new Rx (the Zenni glasses are my first set of glasses with it) and wearing them regularly, it's drat near impossible to see without them on. I normally don't wear them around the house, only when out (and even then, mainly while driving), but I've noticed I can't even read the TV guide on the TV unless I'm only a few feet away now, instead of being able to at least make out logos from across the room. I assume my eyes are just used to the new Rx? Also noticed headaches when I don't wear them (I've had the headaches happen after a new Rx before).

If it matters, I went from a 5 year old Rx, and the eye doctor said they hadn't changed by a large amount - "a half click on both eyes" - and mentioned my Rx likely won't change much until I'm in my 50s (I'm in my mid 30s).

• Locked thread