Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groen
Oct 7, 2008
Long time glasses wearer trying out lenses (silicone gel) for the first time and I'm having a hard time getting the contacts out. I can put them in just fine, move them around on my eye while trying to remove them but getting them off feels near impossible. I try and feel for the edges, slide them down a bit and then pinch but they just don't want to stick to my fingers it seems. Any tips ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
You can get tiny suction cup devices that help you take out contacts, but I'm not sure those are suitable for soft lenses.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Try a drop or two of saline in each eye before removing your lens.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

some texas redneck posted:

My most recent set of glasses were ordered online from zennioptical.com - the lenses are perfect, better than anything I've ever had, but the frames themselves are warped (plastic). I've had them about a week.

I emailed them about it, they suggested taking them to a local shop to have them adjusted; if they can't be adjusted to fit, they'll replace the frames.

How much can I expect to pay to have a place that didn't actually sell me the glasses handle adjustment of the frames? Again, they're some form of plastic, so it'll involve a heat gun. I suspect most chain shops won't touch them.

Zenni wound up replacing the frames - one of the hinges wasn't cast into the frames properly. Swapped the lenses into the new frames in about 5 minutes.

So now - I've been switching between my old sunglasses (which have a 6 or 7 year old rx) and the new glasses. Probably stupid, but I have some very nice Oakley rx polarized sunglasses, and spend a lot of time outside. I was able to do this with my old rx just fine, but I'm noticing I have dry/itchy eyes a lot now. Safe to assume this is from switching back and forth? The Oakleys are from the prescription before my last one, and I can see perfectly with the new glasses. I can see decently with the Oakleys, but have trouble reading street signs with them now. I'm closer to 40 than 30, and the eye doctor did say that I shouldn't expect much change until I'm into my 50s.

I've also noticed that it's a bit more difficult to see anything more than about 10 ft away without glasses, but everything is crystal clear with the new glasses (something I haven't experienced in 3 years or so). I assume my eyes have adjusted to the new rx? Or did I get a bad rx?

Oh Noetry
Jul 3, 2008
I recently had my eyes tested and they've deteriorated a little in that time (~3 years). This time around the optometrist has also recommended a reading script, Add 0.50 in each eye, which I've not had before but felt great on.
The online store I like to purchase from only offers reading prescriptions with the Add starting at 0.75. Will 0.75 feel weird, will my eyeballs explode or will I get super x-ray vision?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm about to finish my supply of Opti-Free Pure Moist and based on the recommendations in this thread, I'm switching to Clear Care. I know you're supposed to wait 6 hours, but if I have to cut things short, can I wear my contacts if I give them a quick rinse with my travel size of Opti-Free? I wear Acuvue Oasys.

The one downside of clear care is that you absolutely cannot gently caress with the six hour downtime. Otherwise you're risking peroxide burns to the cornea and probably never wearing contacts ever again. (And no, a quick rinse with a regular solution won't cut it either.)

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Groen posted:

Long time glasses wearer trying out lenses (silicone gel) for the first time and I'm having a hard time getting the contacts out. I can put them in just fine, move them around on my eye while trying to remove them but getting them off feels near impossible. I try and feel for the edges, slide them down a bit and then pinch but they just don't want to stick to my fingers it seems. Any tips ?

I've experienced this in the past as well, but it seemed to happen more readily for me with biofinity toric lenses. Not sure what it was about those, but they seemed to have an affinity for my eyes and literally took me 20 minutes per eye to get the drat things out.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Groen posted:

pinch harder, and keep 'digging' at them. they do sometimes require a bit more effort on your part to remove. its commonplace.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Oh Noetry posted:

I recently had my eyes tested and they've deteriorated a little in that time (~3 years). This time around the optometrist has also recommended a reading script, Add 0.50 in each eye, which I've not had before but felt great on.
The online store I like to purchase from only offers reading prescriptions with the Add starting at 0.75. Will 0.75 feel weird, will my eyeballs explode or will I get super x-ray vision?

your eyes should be fine.

however, since the online store does not offer your RX, why not just get the lenses in the proper Rx from a local shop this one time rather then compromise on your Rx based on what an online store has available?

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Zenni wound up replacing the frames - one of the hinges wasn't cast into the frames properly. Swapped the lenses into the new frames in about 5 minutes.

So now - I've been switching between my old sunglasses (which have a 6 or 7 year old rx) and the new glasses. Probably stupid, but I have some very nice Oakley rx polarized sunglasses, and spend a lot of time outside. I was able to do this with my old rx just fine, but I'm noticing I have dry/itchy eyes a lot now. Safe to assume this is from switching back and forth? The Oakleys are from the prescription before my last one, and I can see perfectly with the new glasses. I can see decently with the Oakleys, but have trouble reading street signs with them now. I'm closer to 40 than 30, and the eye doctor did say that I shouldn't expect much change until I'm into my 50s.

I've also noticed that it's a bit more difficult to see anything more than about 10 ft away without glasses, but everything is crystal clear with the new glasses (something I haven't experienced in 3 years or so). I assume my eyes have adjusted to the new rx? Or did I get a bad rx?

its likely an issue of switching back and forth......however it could also be something completely unreleated to Rx, such as the base curve of the lenses being drastically different.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Has anyone heard of Blutech lenses? Do you recommend them or is it snake oil?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Potentially dumb question - I'm using Oxysept (peroxide solution like Clear Care) regularly now and it seems good.

However I'm travelling soon and want to take my contacts, but the case leaks if it's upside down (so I'm likely to unpack my bag to find solution all over the place and dry lenses). Am I okay to use regular multipurpose solution for a set of contacts that have previously been used with a peroxide solution, or do I need to bust out a fresh set?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You'll be fine with multipurpose solution. No need to switch contacts.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

For a while I was using ClearCare (known as AOSept here in the UK), but lately I switched to the standard peroxide solution that now comes free with my lenses. Is there a difference between the two in their composition (from what I can tell they are both the same concentration peroxide solutions)? It might just be a placebo affect but I feel my lenses were cleaner and dried out less quickly than when using the branded version.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Thunderpussy posted:

its likely an issue of switching back and forth......however it could also be something completely unreleated to Rx, such as the base curve of the lenses being drastically different.

Almost forgot about this thread, sorry.

Yeah, it was definitely from switching - no migraines at all now that I've tried to forget the Oakleys exist, and eyestrain is completely gone even when I walk around the house without glasses on my days off (I rarely wear glasses at home). I really hate to ditch the Oakleys - even though they're old, I still really like the look of them, and the 80s child in me still believes sunglasses should always be mirror tint. But I've ordered some knockoff Rayban sunglasses from optical4less (along with a couple of other pairs of regular glasses), and still rocking what I got from Zenni. Just getting new lenses into the Oakleys will cost more than my car payment, and at least double what I've paid to Zenni and Optical4less for 4 pairs of glasses.

Only way I was able to afford those sunglasses before was thanks to a very generous HSA from a former employer.

Still keeping the Oakleys in the car as a backup pair.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 2, 2014

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Lady Gaza posted:

For a while I was using ClearCare (known as AOSept here in the UK), but lately I switched to the standard peroxide solution that now comes free with my lenses. Is there a difference between the two in their composition (from what I can tell they are both the same concentration peroxide solutions)? It might just be a placebo affect but I feel my lenses were cleaner and dried out less quickly than when using the branded version.

chances are they they will be pretty much the same....but i dont know what the other kind is so i cannot say for 100% certainty.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I often have off-white floating bits of gunk in my contact lens case, and when I try to wear them it burns a little and I throw them away and get out new ones. What are these things and how can I avoid them in the future?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Thunderpussy posted:

chances are they they will be pretty much the same....but i dont know what the other kind is so i cannot say for 100% certainty.

I ended up going back to AOSept, maybe it is the placebo effect but my eyes are definitely less dry for longer. I noticed gunk on my lenses with the optician brand solution that isn't there now with AOSept. Turns out I was also getting charged more than I thought for the opticians solution, so there is no cost difference to switching.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I often have off-white floating bits of gunk in my contact lens case, and when I try to wear them it burns a little and I throw them away and get out new ones. What are these things and how can I avoid them in the future?

your case is likely dirty, but without seeing it i have no idea.

whenever you get new solution, throw the old case away and use a new one.

hiaowy
Sep 8, 2006
What is you opinion on Daysoft contact lenses? The main reason I got them is the incredibly good price and I haven't had problems so far.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

How long does it take to get used to RGP lenses? I've had mine for 2 days so far. Worn for about an hour each day and while yesterday was a little better than yesterday I still wouldn't think about doing much more than sitting on the couch and loving with my tablet.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I had Photo-Refractive Keratectomy (PRK) in 2002. My vision has been spot on since then, but I'm curious about wearing contact lenses. Does the resurfacing of my cornea prevent me from wearing contact lenses at all? I always think about this around halloween time but I just don't want to hop into it. Either way, I probably need to see an optometrist, even if just to get my eyes checked.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I have -9.00 contacts in both eyes that give me great vision... MY GIRLFRIEND wants to do a theme costume for Halloween but she has perfect vision. The costume involves Black Sclera lenses and I'd really rather not wear glasses over them, since it would kill the effect... I've tried searching online, but I can't really find any place other than http://www.9mmsfx.net/blacksclera.aspx that can do -9.00 contacts, and they are closing down and moving offices for the next month so getting a pair by Halloween is pretty much out.

Any insider scoop on where I could get them, and relatively quickly? Otherwise I need to convince her to either go solo or do a different costume.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

If I don't wear my glasses 24/7/356 am I indirectly harming my eyesight?

I only wear them when I'm traveling, for street signs, class boards, movies, and at dark/nighttime. They are fairly strong because I'm legally blind in one eye but I get headaches when I'm reading books or at the PC. Anything beyond a few meters starts to blur and I can't recognize familiar faces but that's the only downside so far.

According to the last eye exam I'm 70+/200 my right eye being the weaker one. I started wearing glasses at the start of HS (14) and I have a few pairs just in case but not too crazy about always taking them on and off.

I can't afford contact lenses that and no one will pay for me to get them either :v:

Right now I own 3 pairs of glasses and the last one is a pair of overpriced rimless glasses which I think look OK even w/my extreme vision impairment.

My vision would improve if I wore a eyepatch but I can't say the same about my social standing...

Alder fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 16, 2014

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Alder posted:

My vision would improve if I wore a eyepatch but I can't say the same about my social standing...

But your performance in battle belowdecks on pirate ships would be off the charts…

I don't think not wearing your glasses all the time will make your vision any worse. My wife does that and her prescription hasn't changed much.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ezrem posted:

But your performance in battle belowdecks on pirate ships would be off the charts…

I don't think not wearing your glasses all the time will make your vision any worse. My wife does that and her prescription hasn't changed much.

Thanks will consider it now.

Cheers, I'd been concerned if constant headaches were worth it to stop going partially blind.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My prescription has been the same for 5+ years and I regularly don't wear my glasses/contacts. Of course, anecdotes and data, but...

the tits
Mar 17, 2011

mophymophymophy
Today I had an appointment to try contact lenses for the first time. My optometrist had Biofinity toric lenses for me to try, but an hour, two sore eyes, and a torn right lens later, I'm still wearing glasses. I have an appointment to go back in a week and try again, and he's ordering a sample of some different, slightly smaller lenses for me to try as well. I came really close to getting the lens in a few times, touched part of it to my eye probably a dozen times, and at one point he said he heard the suction noise indicating that I almost had it. He also commented that I seem to have an unusually strong blink reflex.

My particular combination of smallish eyes + biggish toric lenses + superhuman blink reflex from hell is making me wonder if this is ever going to work. Do you have any helpful tips to share regarding things I can do to make it easier? I would really like to make contacts work for me. The doctor also commented that he's sure I'd have no trouble getting RGP lenses in, but that they're uncomfortable. How bad is the discomfort, and for how long? A quick Google image search makes it apparent that they're much smaller than soft lenses so I might be willing to endure a little more discomfort for a time if it means I can actually get them on and off my eyes.

My Rx for glasses:

od: -7.00 -2.75 x 179

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

fps_bill posted:

How long does it take to get used to RGP lenses? I've had mine for 2 days so far. Worn for about an hour each day and while yesterday was a little better than yesterday I still wouldn't think about doing much more than sitting on the couch and loving with my tablet.

can take sometime a week or two to truly get used to them.Force yourself to wear them.

stick with it!!

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Drewski posted:

I had Photo-Refractive Keratectomy (PRK) in 2002. My vision has been spot on since then, but I'm curious about wearing contact lenses. Does the resurfacing of my cornea prevent me from wearing contact lenses at all? I always think about this around halloween time but I just don't want to hop into it. Either way, I probably need to see an optometrist, even if just to get my eyes checked.

Not necessarily, but it may.

Speak to your eye doc and ask them to refer you to a fitter that they know is good with flat fitting contact lenses....and be prepared to be told that its not suggested that you wear them.
a few hours at a time though, for a costume? I'm sure you'd be alright.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

the tits posted:

Today I had an appointment to try contact lenses for the first time. My optometrist had Biofinity toric lenses for me to try, but an hour, two sore eyes, and a torn right lens later, I'm still wearing glasses. I have an appointment to go back in a week and try again, and he's ordering a sample of some different, slightly smaller lenses for me to try as well. I came really close to getting the lens in a few times, touched part of it to my eye probably a dozen times, and at one point he said he heard the suction noise indicating that I almost had it. He also commented that I seem to have an unusually strong blink reflex.

My particular combination of smallish eyes + biggish toric lenses + superhuman blink reflex from hell is making me wonder if this is ever going to work. Do you have any helpful tips to share regarding things I can do to make it easier? I would really like to make contacts work for me. The doctor also commented that he's sure I'd have no trouble getting RGP lenses in, but that they're uncomfortable. How bad is the discomfort, and for how long? A quick Google image search makes it apparent that they're much smaller than soft lenses so I might be willing to endure a little more discomfort for a time if it means I can actually get them on and off my eyes.

My Rx for glasses:

od: -7.00 -2.75 x 179

VERY uncomfortable at first.No pain, just....feels not right. But that does go away.

RGP's are also waaaaay healthier and cheaper when compared to disposable ones. they are the BEST option.

Try them for a few weeks! what harm can it do?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
A long time contact lens wearer. My recent yearly check up and my optometrist recommended that I use hydrogen peroxide solution to clean my lens. I get a case of dry eyes during the cold winter days.

How does that work? Doesn't hydrogen peroxide burn your eyes? What advantages do I have using it over normal stuff I've been using for years.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just put my contacts into Clear Care for the first time. Going through the steps, it said to fill the container with solution up to the line, but the line marks about 60% full. Having to use that much solution each time to clean your contacts, doesn't that become really expensive?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My wife switched us over to the new Bausch & Lomb Peroxiclear. We've gone through several bottles and it's basically the same as Clear Care except the last bottle she bought doesn't neutralize in 4 hours like it's supposed to. In fact it takes closer to 11-12 hours to neutralize. What happens is this: get up in the morning and the liquid is clear, no bubbling, looks like it's done -- except it isn't. It will burn the poo poo out of your eyes. If you give the lens container a shake it will start bubbling again for an hour or so then stop. Then I have to shake it again and let it set for another hour or so. Finally then it is usually done. My first thought was a bad container but nope, it does the same thing with every container even Clear Care containers. Just a heads up in case you try this product.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Using peroxide to clean your lenses is total overkill and competent unnecessary.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Fuzz posted:

Using peroxide to clean your lenses is total overkill and competent unnecessary.

I'm a chef, when I take my contacts out at the end of the day, they've got any oily as gently caress film on them, also, my fingers are like sandpaper, and I used to tear my weekly contacts all the time. Switched to monthlies with ClearCare, no issues.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Fuzz posted:

For weeklies I wouldn't bother but for monthlies it makes a difference.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm currently wearing Acuvue Oasys biweeklies, but am going travelling for two weeks and wanted to get some dailies (likely TruEye) for while I'm away. My optician however said I need another fitting before they will let me buy some daily lenses. I can understand why this is, however if I were to order one month's supply online, how likely is it that the TruEyes would fit as well as the Oasys?

e: just seen that the TrueEye options are 8.2 base curve and 14.2 diameter, while the Oasys are 8.4/14.0.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 28, 2014

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I apologize for not reading the thread but my eyes are still dilated and blurry as gently caress.

Anyway, just had an exam and was diagnosed as needing glasses. Problem is I'm on medicaid and the office I was seen at didn't have the medicaid-approved frames. I'm gonna guess the ones they do have are probably cheap and ugly with very few choices. I have the prescription, is there anywhere to find affordable glasses without insurance? Shady Chinese websites maybe? I'm just looking for some options. Any help would be lovely.

And no, I'm not doing contacts. I have a horrible 'things touching my eye' phobia so contacts are a big no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I apologize for not reading the thread but my eyes are still dilated and blurry as gently caress.

Anyway, just had an exam and was diagnosed as needing glasses. Problem is I'm on medicaid and the office I was seen at didn't have the medicaid-approved frames. I'm gonna guess the ones they do have are probably cheap and ugly with very few choices. I have the prescription, is there anywhere to find affordable glasses without insurance? Shady Chinese websites maybe? I'm just looking for some options. Any help would be lovely.

And no, I'm not doing contacts. I have a horrible 'things touching my eye' phobia so contacts are a big no.

I usually get mine from Zenni Optical but I'm not sure I'd recommend ordering your first pair online, since you have no idea how to fit them.

• Locked thread