Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Like something you'd put in a locket :3:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

:siren: the stray isn't leaving :siren:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Goodpancakes posted:

:siren: the stray isn't leaving :siren:

The cat my family had in Idaho was a stray that parked herself on our back porch and meowed at us for a week before my parents broke down and adopted her so she wouldn't just starve to death there. Brand new house, so it wasn't like she had been left by previous owners, she just decided we were the family for her.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

LogicalFallacy posted:

The cat my family had in Idaho was a stray that parked herself on our back porch and meowed at us for a week before my parents broke down and adopted her so she wouldn't just starve to death there. Brand new house, so it wasn't like she had been left by previous owners, she just decided we were the family for her.

That's how lots of people get cats. When I was a kid a cat turned up on the windowsill in the pouring rain, frantically smacking the window with her paws. We let her in because it was cold and raining heavily and she seemed desperate for somewhere warm and dry to sleep.

And then we had a cat.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
In reality, weren't we all adopted by cats, as opposed to the other way around?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Behold cat?

Y / N

LogicalFallacy posted:

Lots of construction crews in new neighborhoods attract feral strays and end up socializing their kittens to be more family friendly. When the builders take off the cats end up wandering around to find other humans to attach to. It's how my family got like three cats back when I was a kid. Best kinds of cat around as far as I am concerned.

Little Cat had about the most perfect tuxedo fur pattern I've ever seen. He didn't find us directly, he was kinda adopted by another family in the neighborhood for a bit before they decided they couldn't take care of a cat and they passed him on to us. Ended up sticking with us for twenty years and three different homes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I lived on the ground floor of a large apartment complex, and one rainy night I was lying in bed reading and next thing you know a cat appeared at my window, pawing the screen and crying. I opened the door to my patio and this chubby black cat walked in, flopped down on my welcome mat and began rolling around and purring.

I reached down to check for a tag and discovered that the belly was a trap. Whoops. But there was a tag with a number and the owner lived on the far side of the complex. I'd never owned a cat or even picked one up so I clumsily grabbed my visitor and sort of slung him over my shoulder. He squirmed around a bit but was otherwise compliant during the long walk to meet the owner.

This incident repeated itself a few weeks later during another downpour, and although I once again returned the cat I could see how one could insert itself into a person's life.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Rexie is obsessed with the new tv, it's gonna rot her tiny brain almost as badly as mine.

And it's Thursday, so bath day, which includes a full mani pedi.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Got this Amazon box. They love it. Silly sits in it, lookin' at me. Always lookin.

She wanders off and I think I'm good, but over there in the box is Gumbo. Lookin' at me.

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Got this Amazon box. They love it. Silly sits in it, lookin' at me. Always lookin.

She wanders off and I think I'm good, but over there in the box is Gumbo. Lookin' at me.

Cats and boxes. A love story.

Coast is clear? Nap time.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I've having loads of fun learning how to use a camera as more than a vacation memories tool and monsieur nicholas has been more than happy to help be an uncooperative subject!

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

I've having loads of fun learning how to use a camera as more than a vacation memories tool and monsieur nicholas has been more than happy to help be an uncooperative subject!

Very grump. Love those whiskers!

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Lickity, Yeah?

Chewy chomp...

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I got a really good shot of my cat today while we were out hiking. He decided to investigate my phone right while I was snapping a photo.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
:kimchi: :swoon:

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I may as well share this gallery I've got on imgur as well, we take our cat camping and hiking. This was just a dump of a bunch of the better photos that I've got of him. I didn't put much effort into the dump as far as captions go, really just wanted to have them backed up somewhere, but if anyone has questions I'm happy to tell stories about my awesome adventure cat.

Stormageddon the Adventure Cat

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

om nom nom posted:

I may as well share this gallery I've got on imgur as well, we take our cat camping and hiking. This was just a dump of a bunch of the better photos that I've got of him. I didn't put much effort into the dump as far as captions go, really just wanted to have them backed up somewhere, but if anyone has questions I'm happy to tell stories about my awesome adventure cat.

Three questions;

What're you feeding him from the blue packets in a few of those pics?

How often does he try to ride on the back of your shoulders?

How much does he love that bow-tie, because he looks amazing in it :stwoon:.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do you wet him down to cool him off?

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Do you wet him down to cool him off?

Yes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Three questions;

What're you feeding him from the blue packets in a few of those pics?

We regularly use a couple of things on the trail, the larger ones are these:

Which are pretty much single-serving pouches of cat food, around 3oz if memory serves. There are lots of brands available, Weruva (pictured and what we were feeding him), Earthborn, and Best Feline Friend (bff) are the brands that we get, there are lots more. The gravy to chunks ratio is higher than normal cat food, so it's great for hydrating on the trail.

We did learn after that day that squeezing these is kind of a mess. We pack a small Rubbermaid container to use as a bowl with a spoon to scoop now, and a plastic sandwich bag in case he doesn't finish the pouch.

Smaller ones are these:

Which I call cat go-gurt. It's a thick liquid treat, also good for hydrating, you tear the top off and squeeze it from the bottom like toothpaste. We always have one of these open on the trail, he loves them. He's not always interested in eating food and drinking water when he's out and about and there's so much to see and do, but he will always take a couple of licks of these.

The pouches are complete nutrition, you could use them as a meal. The tubes are a treat, they're good for cats (first 3 or 4 ingredients are water, meat (lots of flavors, crab, scallop, tuna chicken, or a combination of 2), and tapioca), but it's not a balanced meal and shouldn't be used as such.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Three questions;

How often does he try to ride on the back of your shoulders?

That's more of a move for when he's distracted and not making progress for a while, we obviously let him explore but sometimes he needs help moving on, or when he's getting tired. We trained him by walking around the house and yard, he gets comfortable and seems to enjoy it, but most of the time if it were up to him he wouldn't be relying on us to get around. Every once in a while he does the "pick me up" move, climbing up with his front paws and stretching out, but not too often. It's usually one of us putting him on our shoulders and him being content enough for the time being.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How much does he love that bow-tie, because he looks amazing in it :stwoon:.

I think it was like $5 at Target. Comes as just the bow tie, we put it on a break away collar.

Edit: I misread this question, he's pretty indifferent to it, although if it snaps off he will bring it to us to put on, I think he's just so used to wearing it now.

Edit: looking at the package, BFF (best feline friend) is a Weruva line. So Earthborn Holistics and Weruva are our go-tos for cat food, both the single serving pouches and canned wet food. They've got great ingredients, there are plenty of other brands that have good ingredients, but Stormy likes these two the best. He tends to prefer the meat in gravy style to pate, and all of their canned food is chunks in gravy. The one thing we are wary of buying Weruva is that there are a couple cans that they describe as "soup", and they are like soup on consistency: lots of "gravy", not a whole lot of meat. I'm sure they're great for hydration, but these cans are like $2.75 each and I felt a little ripped off and for the most part avoid them.

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Oct 18, 2017

RhomboidSphinx
Jun 17, 2013

om nom nom posted:

Can I ask a few questions? I've seen a few people taking their cats hiking now and am really curious. I hope this doesn't come across as judgmental; I'm genuinely interested.

Cats are territorial, aren't they? Wouldn't taking them hiking be quite stressful as they're in territory that's not their own and filled with a huge number of other animals' scent marks?

Also, aren't cats not really made for long-distance walking or trekking; they have short periods of intense activity (see 3am zoomies, hunting, stalking) and then lots of rest?

I guess it mostly comes down to the cat in question. Mine's always been very nervous so I'm not used to adventurous cats :3:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

My older cat loved being on a harness and going outside for walks. That said, when you take a cat for a walk, you're really just along for the ride and making sure they stay safe. They don't "heel" like dogs.

The reason I used the past tense is not because my older cat is dead, thank goodness, but because he is no longer allowed to go out for walks, because he would try and eat the worst and most unsanitary things. The last straw was when he came into my office and barfed up a worm (not an earthworm, some sort of parasite whose egg[s] he'd apparently ingested on one of our walks).

I'm fully aware he's an idiot, but cats are super duper individual and it would not surprise me in the slightest to learn that there were cats that loved going on hikes without trying to poison themselves. Generally speaking, with regards to smell, I don't think cats get super pissed about another animal's smell since they feel absolutely entitled to overwrite it with their own.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
THEY TOOK MY TUMMY HAIR

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
There's a cat I see a dude bring on the bus a lot and that cat seems to be quite enjoying it.

Also it's cute as hell.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Irradiation posted:

There's a cat I see a dude bring on the bus a lot and that cat seems to be quite enjoying it.

Also it's cute as hell.

Cats are people. We don't want to admit it, but they are.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Theokotos posted:

THEY TOOK MY TUMMY HAIR

This is exactly the kind of cat I want. Can I have her?

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Guys what are my cats doing

smilingfish has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Oct 23, 2017

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RhomboidSphinx posted:

Can I ask a few questions? I've seen a few people taking their cats hiking now and am really curious. I hope this doesn't come across as judgmental; I'm genuinely interested.

Cats are territorial, aren't they? Wouldn't taking them hiking be quite stressful as they're in territory that's not their own and filled with a huge number of other animals' scent marks?

Also, aren't cats not really made for long-distance walking or trekking; they have short periods of intense activity (see 3am zoomies, hunting, stalking) and then lots of rest?

I guess it mostly comes down to the cat in question. Mine's always been very nervous so I'm not used to adventurous cats :3:

He is always very curious when we are hiking, sniffing around, generally investigating a lot of what he sees. It's always very obvious when we get to a spot that a dog has recently peed in the past, because he checks it out hardcore. He's never seemed nervous or anything being out of his territory, we started him pretty young, and he doesn't go outside without his harness. Even if we are walking outside our house, he likes to explore and go to new places. Whenever we pull the harness out, he climbs up to our window seat so we can put it on him, he clearly enjoys being out for hikes. The only time he gets visibly nervous is when we pass big dogs. Which is funny, he will cower and hide, but then when we pick him up (we usually do when passing dogs) he'll glare at the other animal and hiss. Definitely a boost of confidence for him to be held by one of his humans.

As far as the way cats are designed to exercise, whenever we are hiking, we go at his pace. Our average hike is under 2 miles and it takes us 3-4 hours. We can have plans, but he will start to turn around when he's getting tired, and we let him, doesn't matter if we've reached any planned destination. We let him rest when he wants to rest, and put him on our shoulders so he can ride while we're walking sometimes. We do a lot of trails, and he's really good at following them and keeping a decent pace, but we also try to do "wander" hikes a lot, going to meadows in the woods or to the reservoir that's in a national Forest near us, where we don't have a destination or set path, and just let him go where he pleases and follow him around. There are some pictures at that reservoir, we set up a hammock and traded off following the cat around and hanging out/relaxing. But I think the main thing is keeping aware of him, watching for him to be sitting a lot, panting, that sort of thing. We like him to get exercise, but are very careful not to over exert him.

And I'm certainly happy to answer questions! It doesn't come across as judgemental at all, we definitely get lots of questions and comments out on the trail with him, not many people have seen (or heard of) a hiking cat before.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

smilingfish posted:

Each other.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tortie tums :kimchi:

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

This is exactly the kind of cat I want. Can I have her?

Beware she is a cursed kitten, perpetually biting biting biting (and possibly too smart for her own good)

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

om nom nom posted:

Adventure Cat

A hiking cat sounds rad af. Also your cat, like all cats, is beautiful. More pics of Adventure Cat ? Adventure Cat makes me :3:

e: Please and thank you. I didn't want that to come off as rude.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

smilingfish posted:

Establishing dominance

RhomboidSphinx
Jun 17, 2013

om nom nom posted:

And I'm certainly happy to answer questions! It doesn't come across as judgemental at all, we definitely get lots of questions and comments out on the trail with him, not many people have seen (or heard of) a hiking cat before.

Thank you! It sounds like you have an A+ cat and he has A+ humans.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Cats are people. We don't want to admit it, but they are.

To be honest, I don't know why I'm surprised at hiking cats as there's a guy that walks his calico around central London (Soho during the morning rush no less!) on a harness and that cat is chilled as hell. One time we saw it, leash dangling, having climbed on top of a shop sign two floors up.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Been a while... Edith still scaredy cat

CAT DRUGS!

Edith blep.

Smaller blep.

One last catblob for Philadelphia.

At my parent's place between move from Philadelphia to NY. Edith establishes dominance over dogbed

More to come!

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Robert Denby posted:

Been a while... Edith still scaredy cat

CAT DRUGS!

Edith blep.

Smaller blep.

One last catblob for Philadelphia.

At my parent's place between move from Philadelphia to NY. Edith establishes dominance over dogbed

More to come!

drat I can't get enough of those cats! There had better be more to come!

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Oh Edith :allears:

About to order Sasha a scratching tower/perch. All this hiking cat talk makes me even more interested in getting her a harness, but my mom is pretty anti having her outdoors :(

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Annie tried her little darndest to stay up watching TV with me (she loves TV)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

who loves TV? Annie loves TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

:siren:Stray isn't leaving :siren: