Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Today I found out that I may be a father, my wife and I were actually not even trying. One semi-sober night on her birthday without protection and today I was at the ER thinking she may have had a fibroid cyst in her uterus (family history). The first response pee stick showed us that she was pregnant, confirmed by blood tests and tomorrow off we go for an ultrasound to ensure that it is not an ectopic pregnancy. It is suspect because of the moderate/large amount of abdominal pain with sudden onset that there is a chance it may be. What worries everyone is that the pain specifies under palpation towards the left, we are hoping it is just her body freaking out that it's pregnant and not the ectopic. The problem with me being a nurse and my wife in pharmacy is that we know just enough to be aware of all the potential problems. Now to dust off all my maternity books as I work in acute medicine.

On the whole, we are terrified, excited and happy. I was just deciding that it was time to have kids and to start trying "soon", whereas my wife had finally come to terms that she married a man with a Peter Pan complex and was going to focus on her career instead of the children that may never come. Tomorrow cannot come fast enough, I really need to know if this is a viable pregnancy or will need surgery. Her potential due date will be somewhere near the end of December, I never wanted a Christmas baby but it will be a boon for the tax return. The funniest part was we literally bought a new puppy 2 weeks ago, so we haven't been sleeping anyway as our new beagle likes to wake up twice a night to pee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

I was a dad for a day and a half. My wife continued to have the abdominal pain and it eventually specified to the left side. She was taken for emergency surgery where they found the embryo in her ovary, she now has 1 and 3/4 ovaries working as they surgeons were amazing and able to salvage as much as they could. They actually called in a second surgical team to get her started because she had already lost a fair amount of blood into her abdomen, but she never bled or spotted. She is currently patched up and will be discharged Sunday. The one thing we both learned from this is that we actually do want children. Best of luck to those and hopefully none of you have to go through what we did. I suppose will will start trying in the fall as to give her gut a rest. Her Gynecologist and surgeon both agreed that God must love us a fair bit to go through all this and lose almost nothing in the process, most women in her predicament would have lost the whole ovary. In the words of our Gyne we "will have many beautiful children, just not this one". A bittersweet end to my first run at parenthood.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

It happens, but as I mentioned we also have a 7 week old beagle that needs our attention these days so we still have a fair bit of pseudo parenting to do. We will have kids soon, just not for Christmas. Good luck to all those trying, any abnormal pain and get it checked out, it literally saved my wife her ovary!

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

I spoke with Loretta and she said that initially her pains felt like the worst menstrual cramps she has ever had in her life, she had a complaint of nausea, stomach and back pain going into her neck. She would have been more concerned if she knew she was pregnant at the time, however she simply thought it was a combination of bedroom olympics and her period due to start within a day or two that was the cause of her discomfort.

She is due to come home tomorrow morning, Max (our beagle) and I cannot wait to go pick her up. I never picked up flowers for her, instead I planted our gardens and did the yard up for her as she will be unable do so this year. No flowers at the hospital but our yard is beautiful and I can't wait for her to see what I did for her. 2 weeks off work, no trying for at least 2 months and I can honestly say I never knew I wanted to be a dad until I almost was one. We will officially start trying in September. Again, good luck and to any of you who are early in your pregnancy and having CONTINUOUS pain to your abdomen or feeling anything like my wife did, please get it checked out. I know most of you are probably American and health care is crazy expensive there but the last thing you want is a ruptured ovary/fallopian tube.

Good luck on spreading your genetics to the next generation!

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

About a year ago my wife and I lost our first pregnancy to being ectopic, the whole ordeal was over in 30 hours or so as we weren't trying and it wasn't viable it didn't hit us too terribly hard. Some tears, some feelings of letdown, some wondering of what could have been. What the experience showed us was that we both wanted kids instead of furthering our careers and being professional DINKS (which is also nice). Last year she got pregnant while on birth control and using condoms, so we don't anticipate much difficulty but we have officially entered the "trying" phase. I forgot how great sex without condoms is.

Our beagle is grown up, we have a 1.5 year old nephew that I love and I am hoping to add a daughter to my family, but a son will likely be just as awesome. I am giddy with anticipation, but also terrified of what kind of a father I am going to be. Wish me luck goons, I will probably be hanging around this thread a lot more these days.

• Locked thread