Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
Does anyone know of c-sections making it harder to keep a baby to term the second time around? A friend of mine has a healthy 5 year old and she's been trying for a few years now (nothing in depth, just not using protection) and she's had 3 miscarriages. She and her boyfriend have both been checked and nothing seems wrong except she can't seem to keep a baby in there. One time when she was pregnant she had the amniotic fluid but no baby. :psyduck: How common is that?

I guess I'm mainly wondering because I had a c-section and it was at a hospital that I found out isn't really the best. (Westlake Hospital for those in and around Chicago. It's part of Ressurection) Is there something I should tell future docs to look out for if I have trouble keeping a baby to term next time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

BDawg posted:

We've been at it trying for the 2nd for a year now.

THIS. I am so afraid of this. I guess I shouldn't be greedy and happy with one, but I'd like Dex to have a brother or sister.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

A healthy 16-30 year old couple

i had to do a double take at this because i skimmed through and saw this as a relationship between a 16 year old and a 30 year old. :downs:

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Taima posted:

Hi everyone, I have kind of a tangential question that's been on my mind and I'm hoping it can be answered.

I'm a 23 year old male. I've just graduated college and I'm starting my first "real" job next Monday (just to get an idea of where I am in life). My girlfriend is 20, and intends to get her doctorate in Psychology so she will likely be in school until her late 20s.

I have no idea if my girlfriend and I will have kids or not eventually, but one thing that honestly scares the gently caress out me is the "must have babies now" mentality that you can see throughout this thread. And there's nothing wrong with that mentality necessarily, since it's purely biological obviously, but it scares me because I don't understand it, and being a man the only emotion I can think of that would compare is the feeling of "must have sex NOW" that often causes men to forgo the condom in a fit of lust. Any emotion that disregards reason is not particularly welcome in my world, especially if I have no idea how to understand it. Also one of my best friend's wives just "happened" to get pregnant while on the pill and given her nature, I suspect that the pregnancy was not a mistake at all. All of this contributes to my terror and misunderstanding of the situation.

My girlfriend is very maternal and I like that about her because I'm touchy-feely too. However our lives our just beginning, and as two promising, educated young people (especially her) I feel like I have a responsibility to delay kids until at least 30 if not later (right now I would honestly be OK with never having kids at all). BUT having said that I know that at some point her baby clock will turn on one day and she might be literally unable to help herself from wanting a baby so bad, and wanting it NOW. This gives me terrifying nightmares. I'm not willing to throw away our promising future over biological impulses.

So I guess I just would appreciate some insight on what it's like to want a baby super bad. Did you wake up one day with a burning need? A lot of people are saying that someone they knew got pregnant and then they JUST HAD to get pregnant too and YESTERDAY GODDAMNIT. Is that really how it works? I'm trying to understand this emotion so I can come at it from a rational perspective if/when it happens. I hope you guys can shed some light on this because right now I'm more scared of my girlfriend's biological clock than I am of literally anything short of death. It seems like a ticking time bomb to me that threatens to undermine our future. Please help me understand or at least come to grips on the situation.

Hey, here's an idea, be open and honest with her about your fears. Most women who are educated and rational will notice any irrational baby impulses and deal with them accordingly. There are flukes where a condom will break or someone somewhere screwed up the thing keeping them not fertile. As a general rule, two people under the thought process of "no babies until after school/career getting underway" will keep to it. If you both are really trying not to have a baby it won't happen. I think if you're afraid she will lie to you and not take appropriate measures when she knows you don't want a child right now, you should maybe reevaluate the relationship. No offense meant, just saying someone who cares about you will respect your wishes for no kids yet even if it means ignoring their desperate desire for them now.

I can't necessarily speak for myself and any preemptive desire for the child I have now. I actually was not in any mood for kids. I had just had a miscarriage 3 months before getting knocked up. My fiance and I weren't as careful as we could've been. I can speak for a desire for a baby again right now, but we both know it's not the smartest decision at the moment and so we take pains to be extra careful not to let our wonderful surprise get a brother or sister. I think this new need for a baby is moreso just my reminiscing about how much easier things were when I was pregnant and when he was still little enough where carrying him around didn't hurt my back.

I can safely say that if your girlfriend decides she has to have kids, babysit a friend or relative's baby. Preferably a very cranky, colicky one. That should ebb any desires for a little while.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I had a miscarriage in late September/early October of 2007 and I got pregnant with Dex December of '07, so I'm a firm believer it's true.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I'm not any kind of medical professional but I don't think one big clot necessarily means miscarriage. When I had my miscarriage I definitely felt something pass through me when I was using the bathroom one time. On the paperwork they sent home with me when it happened I was told to look out for white or gray matter and bring that in if I noticed it. Also I have had 2 periods where I've noticed big rear end clots. If it's worrying you I'd say to call your gyno and at least ask if you don't want to make an appointment to see them.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Alterian posted:

I don't have health insurance right now so I can't go to the doctor unless I think I'm dying.

I promise I'm not trying to be a complete rear end in a top hat but you kind of need a doctor if you're pregnant. I know most states have a "pregnant lady automatically gets insurance" policy, but trying and miscarrying can be hazardous to your health. I'd at least try to look into getting state insurance. Even if you can't get it 100% for free sometimes the monthly charges are way cheaper than trying to get private insurance.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Apologies in advance if this is supposed to go in the pregnancy thread, but I figured it'd fit better in this one. Did any of you go to the doctor just to get checked out before you started trying? Did you go see your normal doc or an OB? We won't be trying until this summer but I figured I'd ask around because A) I'm super excited, and B) I need to try and figure out what can be skipped over if possible. A $30 co-pay isn't the worst thing but it'd be nice to not have to pay it. For the record I don't have any major reproductive issues although I have had a miscarriage in the past. I'm kind of worried about that happening again but it happened at 5 weeks. I know that those are under no one's control and they're also fairly common, so it's not a big worry.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Plenty of people don't gain a lot during their pregnancies. If you're already on the heavier side, most OBs will advise against gaining weight as long as you're meeting your daily caloric intake needed to sustain a life in your uterus. I don't know how you normally eat, but cutting things out like caffeine and excess sugar (which aren't good for baby growing anyway) might bring a lot of the weight off. I remember hearing that low carb is not good for while you're pregnant, unless you have gestational diabeetus. I'm still working on trying to cut soda out of my life because I'd like to try the next pregnancy eating a lot better than I did for my first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I'm sorry about that Alterian. :( Maybe it will just add to the already overabundant appreciation you will have for your future kids? I'm glad to hear you'll have insurance soon. It will be nice to be able to just go and tell them "Figure out why this isn't happening!" and having a definite answer.

• Locked thread