Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
I just wanted to say that we used Natural Family Planning for both contraception and conception, and it worked well in our case; we got pregnant twice in the span of 3 months. We didn't use the thermometer though, just the cervical mucus checks.

Good luck to everyone trying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Sally Slug posted:

You jerks and this thread! After a few long conversations and the help of this thread pushing me over the edge, it looks like we are going to be attempting a March 2010 baby.

Oh God I'm so scared and excited to start. :ohdear:

Congrats, I hope it goes well!!

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
Congrats, Aardvarklet!

I think we're tentatively going to start trying in January...

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Longpig posted:

OK so I know it's not Wednesday but...

I'm shaking, I can't believe it! :o It's still very early of course... I'm already worrying about 'what if it's ectopic' and all kinds of paranoid things!

Hurray, congrats!!

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

yumemiru posted:

I started charting this cycle, and I am having so much trouble telling apart cervical fluid.
It seems that I get all the cervical fluid variations within a couple days of each other, at erratic times. Could this be because I just got off the pill after taking it for 10 years? Has anyone had this happen then gotten it stabled out?

Just two more months until we start trying :) (charting + condoms are annoying)

When I got off the pill and started charting, my cervical fluid was everywhere for the first 3 months. I had double "peak days," really long periods of "fertile fluid," etc. After that, I've been really regular with everything. I would say give it a few months.

Also, I know it's gross, but my instructor said to do a "seminal fluid test." Basically, if the fluid feels like seminal fluid when you wipe, it's lubricative. Charting can be gross.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Pixi posted:

Sex the day before, day of, and day after ovulation gives you the best chance of conceiving. But you would only know those days if you're using ovulation tests or a fertility monitor.

Hey, I know this is off topic, but I was just thinking of you earlier today. (Hope that's not creepy.) How are you doing?

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Pixi posted:

That's not creepy, but it is sweet. Thanks for thinking of me!

I'm doing ok, hanging in there. Had some personal drama, that will be culminating in taking a once-very-good friend to court sometime this summer, so that sucks, but otherwise fine.

Starting my third round of Clomid in 3 days, so that's good news. And I got a period without having to take Provera, which is awesome!

Good! I'm glad everything is going well. I'll stop disrupting the thread now. :)

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Kelly posted:

I just picked up my prescribed prenatal vitamins, and they are $35 a bottle for a 30 day supply.

I looked on early-pregnancy-tests.com and found these:

http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pregnancyplus.html

They are much cheaper, and for more of them. Are these all the same? Does it matter which ones I take?

I was on Target prenatals until I got pregnant, and then I got HORRIFIC constipation. They tried the colace/Target prenatals route, and when that wasn't enough they prescribed some vitamins with a stool softener in it along with using the colace. Once I was 2 months postpartum I went back to the Target brand. Really, unless there's a specific issue, I don't think there's any reason to take the prescription ones.

Also, we're sortof trying/I may be pregnant right now. We'll see in a few weeks...

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Chickalicious posted:

Those of you who are friends with me on facebook may have already seen this, but my sister-in-law found out she's having a girl today! One part of me is SO excited and I can't wait until the baby is here.

Then there's a tiny part of me that just got immensely sad about it because why isn't that me that's getting ultrasounds and baby presents and maternity shirts. Not to mention I think my period is about to start, so one more failed cycle. I feel like a Grade A loving jerk for even feeling this way.

Anyway, now I can go buy a frilly pair of socks for the baby!

I think those feelings are natural. About two weeks after I had my miscarriage one of my coworkers' trashy slutty daughter got knocked up and made her mother quit work to take care of her baby. I felt like it was really unfair. I hope everything happens for you soon, though!

Edit: I don't want to double post, so I guess I'll go ahead and edit this in. I ordered my test from that site you guys all recommended. I ordered 20 so I could have free shipping. I'm kindof a compulsive tester, so that's good. I feel really fatigued the last few days. Like, REALLY fatigued. So I don't know if I'm imagining symptoms, or if I'm actually pregnant. I'm not sure I even ovulated, since this was my first period post-partum, and I'm still breastfeeding about 4 times a day. We'll see I guess, I'm impatient though. If we don't get pregnant this month or next, I think we're going to wait to try again until January. I do not want to have another child in the summer, Bridget was born last August, and I don't do well with heat.

qentiox fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 21, 2009

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
Congrats, temperedpassion!!

No dice for me this month, so it's try try again in August!

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Cross_ posted:

Asking on behalf of my wife: how long does it take for the cycle to normalize after going off the pill?

It's different for every woman. I was on the pill for 3 years, and got regular periods 3 months after I stopped them. I had cycles right away, but they were really wonky.

Fire, I'm glad things are working out alright. It's great that you were able to find a low-intervention OB!

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Longpig posted:

Got my period today (first since the miscarriage) so I guess it's try, try again now... My feelings are kind of mixed but I definitely want to move forward.

Good luck, Longpig. I got pregnant with my daughter 2 months after a miscarriage, so hopefully you won't have to wait long if you don't want to.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Ma_NiC posted:

I was also wondering if anyone in this thread just tried having sex a lot and didn't mess with the ovulation monitors and all that and still got pregnant easily (not that I have anything against it; I'd just rather not start playing with a chemistry set right off the bat).

I know I mention it all the time, but if you don't want to mess with monitors, learning how to chart your fertility using cervical mucus has been really really successful for us. We got pregnant twice in 3 months (first was a miscarriage), and I can't imagine we're THAT fertile.

Also, congrats to all the pregnant ladies, good luck to those trying.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Longpig posted:

Yeah, last night was pretty bad for disrupted sleep. I've dealt with insomnia before and it didn't seem to affect my temperatures as much as this, though! I hope that it's either the sleep or the temperature, because the alternative is that my hormones are still screwy and I might not ovulate this month...

To be honest, I'm not sure I ovulated the very first cycle after my miscarriage. My next period was really wonky and they did an ultrasound to make sure nothing weird was happening, and 2 weeks later I got pregnant. It will happen again! Maybe your body just needs a month to work itself back out, as much as it may suck. :(

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Alterian posted:

Arrgh. I still have a couple days till I should get my period but I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. I guess there's still a chance. I really thought I got pregnant this month. I'm having a lot of early symptoms like mild constant nausea, headaches, tired, peeing more, and my lower back hurts for no drat reason. I even had an implantation dip in my temp chart this month. Oh well. :sigh:

Not trying to give you any false hope, but don't get completely sad/giving up until your period actually comes or you actually miss it. You might have just been that 30% or whatever it is that doesn't actually show a positive til the day of your missed period. Good luck, and I'm sorry if it didn't work out this time.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Pixi posted:

So we're technically on a break for trying to get pregnant, but I'm pretty flabbergasted right now. I started having twinges in my side this morning, so I took an OPK -- glaringly positive. This is amazing to me, since I only ever ovulated on my own ONCE.

I'm attributing it to recent weight loss. Pretty happy right now. :)

Congrats Pixi, that's fantastic news!

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Pixi posted:

Ha, I am pregnant!

Just when we stopped trying, BAM. We didn't even have sex at the right time. Hilarious and awesome.

Yay yay yay!! Good luck, and congrats!!

Maybe not trying is the key to getting pregnant, my best friend got pregnant her first month of not trying after 2 years of trying really really hard. That's awesome, I'm happy for you!

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

TinuvielDancing posted:

I guess I should start tracking my ovulation then!

Good news: got my test results back today and they are all normal. Yippee for me!

Yay, Tinuviel!

I'm pregnant! I'm pretty excited. Gonna call the doctor Monday.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Alterian posted:

Got my tests back and all my stuff looks good. I think we've just been unlucky. Going based on how I personally feel my body is functioning, I think I didn't have a good until this past July after going off the pill in January. I feel relieved. The Dr. said we could do a semen analysis, but I'm not actually sure if our insurance would cover it. There's not reason for me to think that's an issue though. If we go 6 more months and there's nothing we'll look into getting one done.

I'm glad everything turned out well for you. Hopefully it'll happen for you soon!

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Chickalicious posted:

I just took a pregnancy test and it's totally negative. I know it's late in the day, so that may affect it, but I think we'll be getting it on just in case. I'm just SO ANXIOUS to get pregnant again. I feel like a crazy person.

The last couple days I've been especially emotional too. I was ok for a week, and now every time I see a baby or sit alone with my thoughts (which is a lot because my husband works from 3pm to 12am), I get weepy. I even had a dream last night that my cousin got pregnant before me (she's not seeing anyone at all to even get that way) and I was so irrationally mad in my dream.

I never wanted to be this way.

I think being that anxious is part of the healing process. Try not to be too devastated if it doesn't happen the first month, it'll happen again!

I know when I had my miscarriage, I couldn't wait to get pregnant again just so I would loving KNOW that I would be able to have a good viable pregnancy. It was so early, I'm sure you'll be fine. I've been thinking about you, good luck!

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Ma_NiC posted:

So, shark week began a few days ago without the help of medication, thank Christ. My uterus is apparently not broken as I feared. I have a couple more weeks to wait to go to the doctor to get my thyroid levels checked out again. For those of you who have experience with thyroid issues and conception, how long did it take to get your levels straightened out before you could start trying?

She didn't have to deal with conception, but my mother had Grave's disease, and it took them about 6 months to get her hormone levels worked out just right, but they had to kill her thyroid. But she had a really severe case, and if this is your only symptom I'm sure yours won't be nearly that bad. I'd imagine a few months to figure out what levels will regulate you, and you'd be good to go. This is just my uninformed completely non-medical opinion, though. :)

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Chickalicious posted:

Hooray Longpig & slowfoot!

I am just finishing up my first period since my D&C (I am so freaking regular, it started exactly 28 days after the procedure), so we'll be trying again this month. My period this time around was super light. Anyone else that has had a D&C - did your periods change afterward? I kept bracing myself for a heavy flow day like usual, but it just never came. I only had to use a couple regular flow tampons (the rest were light flow). Usually I have a couple days where nothing but supers will do.

We've got company that's going to be in town while I'm ovulating, so I guess we'll just have to do some quiet baby-making.

I didn't have a D&C, but my first period after my miscarriage was super light and weird, and sounds exactly like you described yours. But I got pregnant with my daughter later that month, so good luck!!

And congrats slowfoot! Longpig, I said congrats in the other thread, but congrats again. :)

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Longpig posted:

OK so... I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks on November 2. I was intending to wait (or at least not *actively* try again) for a full cycle before making another attempt. But today I'm getting a bunch of fertile CF... I haven't had any useful amounts of eggwhite in months. So... should I go for it anyway, or be patient?

I'm sorry, Longpig, that really really sucks. It will happen again soon! My doctor said as soon as you're mentally ready, go for it. I miscarried at 5 weeks, had a crazy cycle the next month, and got pregnant the month after that. Good luck! Creepy as it may be, I always look for your updates.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

sinistrality posted:

I just don't know. :(

Take this worth a grain of salt if you will, and this is just the opinion of someone who has never had any experience with someone with RA or how bad it can get. I guess I would ask myself if the disease is so bad that you wouldn't want to exist? I know that's kind of an existential thing now, considering you don't have kids and you actually exist now. Also, do the treatments make you feel well enough that you can function? You mentioned that you were worried about not being able to be there for your kids the way you want to be, and it would probably be hard, but I'd imagine they'll love you because you're their mother, not because you can go play jump rope with them all the time.

This might seem insensitive, and I'm sorry if it does, but the disease isn't fatal. And beyond that, it's something they're not even sure is truly genetic. You might not pass it on at all.

My own experience is nothing as serious, but I was born with glaucoma, and so was my father, and it randomly popped up in us and nobody else in my entire family. My daughter doesn't have it at 16 months, and I'm hoping the kid I'm pregnant with now won't.

I'm just bringing up ideas really, I have no idea what I would do in your situation. It's really I guess just something you and your husband have to sit down and talk about, and weigh the pros and cons of each scenario. Good luck with everything, I hope you're able to find some relief from your RA. :(

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

yawnie posted:

So my fiance and I are actually trying to avoid getting pregnant but I figured I'd get a better answer here than in the birth control thread, as we're using charting/NFP as our "birth control".

I have been using the Answer ovulation tests from Wal-mart and they have been pretty good, sometimes they'll do that weird double-line thing where one side of the test line is darker than the other side, but I've figured that out pretty well. According to peeonastick.com, at least 50% of the line has to be as dark or darker than the control, so in previous months I've been going by that and it's matched up pretty well with my other signs. I just bought a whole bunch of the tests from early-pregnancy-tests.com and I'm getting some confusing results.

The Answer test are giving me a double-line but even the lighter half is just barely as dark as the control line, and it has matched up with my other signs pretty well, so I've been taking it as a positive. But the early-pregancy-tests.com OPKs are 100% clearly negative. I've taken them at the same time as the Answer sticks. WTF. Are these unreliable? Any experiences?

I've never used ovulation tests, but out of curiosity, what method of NFP are you using? I used the Creighton, but we've never actually had to use it to avoid.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Longpig posted:

Hi guys... Not good news I'm afraid. I went to the ER where my cramps and bleeding got worse. HCG level was a measly 11 indicating that development probably stopped a couple of days ago. Bleah. I pretty much knew what was up before I went to the hospital but every time, I harbour this stupid little hope that things will somehow be OK. :(

I would have just stayed at home to bleed, but I'm Rh- and Mr. Longpig is + so I have to get a nasty painful shot on top of everything else every time this happens!

Sorry I'm so late, I'm so sorry Longpig. :( Like everyone else said, hopefully you'll get some answers now.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Chickalicious posted:

I still can't help but have what I feel like is a dark cloud hanging over me. Will it pass when I get past the week I had my miscarriage? Am I ever going to be as excited as I was last time? I don't want to spend the whole pregnancy focused on all the things that can possibly go wrong. I'm already checking for spotting everytime I pee.

I didn't breathe comfortably until I'd passed 14 weeks. My doctor said 12 was the end of the super scary phase, but I read somewhere that 14 weeks was the end of the first trimester, and I wanted to be as pessimistic as possible just in case. It does get better, hang in there!

Longpig, I hope you get it worked out, that really really sucks. I can't imagine they'd consider it a fertility issue, you don't have any problem getting pregnant, you know? :( Good luck.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Longpig posted:

Argh...

I should be happy but at this point I can't help just feeling very cynical.

I'm pregnant again, by accident. We were supposed to be avoiding it this month but as my cervical fluid was minimal I thought we were outside the fertile window... Guess not. So now I probably have an even shittier chance of hanging on to this.

Ding ding, round 4!

Good luck!

AHHH THE FRENCH posted:

I was right, she was convinced she was pregnant and wanted it to be a special thing. Not the case, so that brought the birthday off to a roaring start. Maybe next month.

Good luck, everyone. This definitely makes me appreciate even more what many of you, and my own sister, have gone through.

Good luck! My only advice would be to try really hard to not stress about it. I know that's a ridiculous thing to say, but stress can do crazy things. Hopefully it happens for you next month!

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Twatty Seahag posted:

Thanks guys, I'm really excited. :3: I'm trying not to freak myself out by googling all the terrifying things that could happen!

Yay! I'm extra excited for you after your lovely coworkers were being lovely. Think good thoughts!Like ARTAAAAX! said, false positives are really really rare, and that's a really dark line. I never got a line that dark with any of my 3 pregnancies. Congrats!

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Noirex posted:

The talk about hypothyroidism got me thinking. I know couples should see a fertility specialist after trying for a year, but is it necessary to go to the gynecologist for a general health check in the early stages? My husband and I have not had a check up in years and I was wondering if we should or if it's too early to worry about that.

I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing, especially if you haven't had a checkup in a long time. If nothing else she might give you some tips to improve your overall general health to prepare your body for pregnancy.

That said, I didn't go to the doctor before we started trying, and I know a lot of people don't. Good luck!

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

HanabaL03 posted:

Just out of curiosity, how late after a period is supposed to come should you get worried?

I'd say if you've been careful, you should wait a week to account for anything else that might be throwing it off, such as stress. If you're worried, you can always test as soon as you miss it. Odds are if it's negative, there's no pregnancy. If you still haven't had it after another week or so, test again. By then it should definitely be positive if there's a pregnancy. Good luck either way!

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Moto Punch posted:

A few weeks ago I fainted at work and have been feeling generally run down and terrible. I had a period two weeks ago, but it was quite a bit lighter than usual and stopped earlier than usual (my periods are like clockwork from being on the pill). After the fainting incident people kept making dumb innuendo about me being pregnant. I was sure I couldn't be since I had had my period, and that it was probably just anemia, but paranoia got the better of me and I took a test today. It was one of the clearblue ones that forms a '+'. My result had a really dark '-' and a very, very faint '|'. I've heard any sort of cross = pregnant. But was so, so super faint, I really couldn't figure it out. I thought I was just being stupid and paranoid when I went and bought the test, and only bought it to ease my mind, and now I'm just...confused. Argh. Should I wait and see what happens when my next period is due in a couple of weeks (the anxiety!!), or buy one of those digital tests? They're pretty expensive, but if that super faint '|' line *does* mean there's a good chance I'm...y'know, it'd be good to confirm it.
Think it's worth buying the digital test (since it's easier to decipher), waiting, or what?

I would get a digital one for your peace of mind. Also, any positive, no matter how faint, is typically accurate. There are some tests that can give false positives, but they're rare. I'd go digital. :)

Ginkitty, keep on hangin on.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Longpig posted:

I finally saw a doctor at the loss clinic about my results today!

Good news is that nothing major is wrong with me so far… Bad news is that’s not much of an answer! There were a couple of little things though… Apparently I have the MTHFR (motherfucker!) gene? So he wants to keep me on super high doses of folic acid. I might also start taking baby aspirin, because what could it hurt? Also, my thyroid function, while still in the normal range, was lower than he would want in someone who is pregnant, so next time I get a positive I’m to come in right away and get my thyroid hormones tested to see if they want to put me on some medication while pregnant. Meanwhile he is sending both me and Mr. Longpig for karyotyping as well.

He also said that there was no reason I shouldn’t start trying again, so… :x I guess I’m out of limbo, for now…

Added bonus - doctor was amazingly nice and super handsome with a sexy British accent. Actually I can picture Mr. Longpig looking like him in 15-20 years or so… hopefully. Rowr.

That's good news! I hope you get it figured out quickly.

Also, I just want you to know I end up staring at your avatar forever, every post you make.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

So we're trying to get pregnant and the doctor put my wife on Folgard OS. At $30 a month I'm looking for alternatives. Any ideas?

I used the Target brand prenatals with both pregnancies. It's 100 for $8 I believe.
http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/mobile.jsp?title=product_detail&asin=B001FYZ5D2&keywords=Prenatal%20vitamin

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

slinkimalinki posted:

So's yours.

OPK came up good. Trying do decide whether to try to get some productive humping from my partner now, or skip this month.

Anyone else in this thread have a partner who's on antidepressants and who has trouble ejaculating as a result?

My husband and I had to deal with this. It was pretty bad for a long time, especially on our honeymoon and when we were trying to conceive. We've found that if we do it once every two days or so it's not much of a problem. It sucks when you're trying to get pregnant, though. :(

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Moosephant posted:

BananaCat, that's so frustrating- I don't see why they would think your fertility issues are any less important because you're younger. If anything, I'd think they'd want to get your issues ironed out so that maybe you could have more time to plan additional children. Ugh.

Also, sorry oval office Pickle :( Maybe try again in a week? I took a pregnancy test this morning too and it was negative, but that's no shocker since we just got started.

I looked into the Vitex and Evening Primrose Oil and they look like good ideas, but I'm a little nervous about what effect they could have on the body. For instance, I read that Evening Primrose Oil thins the blood. Opinions?

(edited to add a question)
I'm no expert, but I did a report on evening primrose oil for my therapeutic nutrition class, and pretty much found that it didn't seem to do a ton. That said, taking it in moderation isn't harmful either, from my research. Good luck!! I wouldn't worry about trying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
Yeah I'm dumb. Lannie is right. Ask your doc. :)

Good luck to all of you btw.

• Locked thread