Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Klyith posted:

Everything but sticky notes is only a shortcut to the store, not even a real installed program.

You probably took the big "version 2004" May update, the advertisement junk like candy crush re-appears during the big updates unless you flip the switch to disable them.
I don't know, Apps & features said Candy Crush was like a 283MB installation before I removed it. Flipping that switch was the first solution I found, but I'm also seeing stuff like editing registry keys "Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences", SilentInstalledAppsEnabled, and DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures. The fact there's varied responses probably means none of them is the actual solution and people are just guessing.

There's still Candy Crush and Farm Heroes stuff in my registry. It feels gross and I'm less than 24 hours into this reinstall so I'm tempted to reformat and start again if I can actually figure out a solution.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Klyith posted:

You probably took the big "version 2004" May update, the advertisement junk like candy crush re-appears during the big updates unless you flip the switch to disable them.

Unless they're opted into a Windows Insider ring, Win10 2004 hasn't been released yet, so it couldn't have been that I don't think

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know, Apps & features said Candy Crush was like a 283MB installation before I removed it. Flipping that switch was the first solution I found, but I'm also seeing stuff like editing registry keys "Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences", SilentInstalledAppsEnabled, and DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures. The fact there's varied responses probably means none of them is the actual solution and people are just guessing.

There's still Candy Crush and Farm Heroes stuff in my registry. It feels gross and I'm less than 24 hours into this reinstall so I'm tempted to reformat and start again if I can actually figure out a solution.

Windows 10 pushes some apps like Candy Crush the first time the Store checks for updates after a reinstall. This has been the case since Windows 10 launched. Usually, removing the start menu shortcuts before connecting to the internet the first time prevents this. In addition, I suggest going through the start menu programs list and uninstalling unwanted pre-installed apps.

Updating to 2004 doesn't push any new advertisement apps.

I suggest not doing any possibly harmful registry edits.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Klyith posted:

Everything but sticky notes is only a shortcut to the store, not even a real installed program.

Wow....thank you for this.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, just saying. Not having the latest version of some notepad app at all times won't make your computer blow up, but it's probably not good advice as a blanket statement.
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/v733-fix-cia-hacking-npp-issue/

Josh Lyman posted:

Flipping that switch was the first solution I found, but I'm also seeing stuff like editing registry keys "Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences", SilentInstalledAppsEnabled, and DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures. The fact there's varied responses probably means none of them is the actual solution and people are just guessing.

Don't touch Registry unless you absolutely know what you are doing (And if you do then document exactly what keys you changed and default values they had). I still remember in olden Windows 95 days there were countless "registry tweaks" to speed up Windows that turned out to be pure placebo, because no part of Windows read those values.

Josh Lyman posted:

They are sandboxed apps, simply uninstall them. If you want total control install Linux.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 18, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Josh Lyman posted:

but I'm also seeing stuff like editing registry keys "Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences", SilentInstalledAppsEnabled, and DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures. The fact there's varied responses probably means none of them is the actual solution and people are just guessing.

The turn off microsoft consumer experiences (in group policies) and DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures (in regedit, for Home that doesn't have GPedit) were the same thing, and that was an actual solution... until microsoft removed the function from all windows versions other than Enterprise. Now it does nothing.

That's one big problem with windows 10, it's a moving target for these types of tweaks. MS tends to actively get rid of the good ways to stop the super-annoying poo poo, forcing everyone to resort to even hackier methods. (Occasionally they relent and stop doing the super-annoying poo poo.)

Josh Lyman posted:

Leftover goop in the registry does nothing and is harmless. Don't bother about it; registry cleaning programs are generally snake oil.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Klyith posted:

The turn off microsoft consumer experiences (in group policies) and DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures (in regedit, for Home that doesn't have GPedit) were the same thing, and that was an actual solution... until microsoft removed the function from all windows versions other than Enterprise. Now it does nothing.

That's one big problem with windows 10, it's a moving target for these types of tweaks. MS tends to actively get rid of the good ways to stop the super-annoying poo poo, forcing everyone to resort to even hackier methods. (Occasionally they relent and stop doing the super-annoying poo poo.)
Yeah just for funsies I did a reformat/reinstall and the first thing I did was turn off "Show suggestions occasionally in Start" before I connected to the internet, but Candy Crush, Farm Heroes and Spotify still ended up being installed. Oh well.

quote:

Leftover goop in the registry does nothing and is harmless. Don't bother about it; registry cleaning programs are generally snake oil.
I know it doesn't matter but it just feels gross.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They are bundled into the install image itself. If you want to get rid of them entirely you need to mount your offline image and remove them using Powershell before installing Windows.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ghostlight posted:

Mount the iso and open up admin Powershell:
code:
get-appxprovisionedpackage -path "MOUNT" | out-gridview -passthru | remove-appxprovisionedpackage
Select anything you don't want and hit OK.

I also delete the contents of C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\ using the built-in administrator before creating user accounts.
The last part also removes the 'nubs' from the Start menu that are designed to start downloading additional apps on a fresh profile.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Is there a way in Windows 10 to sync Start screen/menu settings across machines for the same Microsoft account?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I'm going to be putting together a new Win 10 Pro PC soon, and looking at all the bloat and botnet functions built into the OS is making me queasy. I want to disable or excise as many of these as possible without harming the OS. Are there any recommendations? Also, I've been told that in some cases things should be removed in the Media Creation phase, is this true/possible without breaking the OS?

Things I'm okay with keeping if they aren't terrible:
    • Windows Store and XBox things - I'm a gamer after all, I just want ads not in the storefront itself removed wherever possible
    • Cortana - if she can be made to not annoyingly pop up/not do telemetry things, keeping her is fine, otherwise just let me keep the Search function
    • Windows Update - I do want my system up to date of course, just let me decide when to install updates (I'm aware I will have to re-disable/re-delete junk)
    • Windows Defender - only because I appreciate it telling me when there is a thing wrong with my PC, I'm not sure how good it is for actual virus/adware protection
    • Windows Media Player - I see zero reason to get rid of this unless you can give me one
    • System Restore - WHY do some guides want this removed?
Anything else that can qualify as "telemetry" can gently caress right off.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 18, 2020

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah just for funsies I did a reformat/reinstall and the first thing I did was turn off "Show suggestions occasionally in Start" before I connected to the internet, but Candy Crush, Farm Heroes and Spotify still ended up being installed. Oh well.

I know it doesn't matter but it just feels gross.

Ghostlight posted:

They are bundled into the install image itself. If you want to get rid of them entirely you need to mount your offline image and remove them using Powershell before installing Windows.

You can also simply unpin the right-side start menu entries before the system first connects to the internet to stop them from installing automatically.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Any ideas on phantom three-dings repeating while the pc is idle? Google searches just relate to the bios and startup error beeps. Not tied to any action or user input, just sitting there and three dings. Could repeat every couple minutes over the course of an hour then nothing for five days.

Some apps are running so I thought maybe a low memory error but task manager says otherwise. I also thought maybe some hardware was failing but assumed the bios startup would detect that first.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Check the manual for your mainboard model, it'll tell you what the beep codes mean. There's usually a list somewhere.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ChesterJT posted:

Any ideas on phantom three-dings repeating while the pc is idle? Google searches just relate to the bios and startup error beeps. Not tied to any action or user input, just sitting there and three dings. Could repeat every couple minutes over the course of an hour then nothing for five days.

Some apps are running so I thought maybe a low memory error but task manager says otherwise. I also thought maybe some hardware was failing but assumed the bios startup would detect that first.

if you figure it out post it here im curious abt the answer

Weedle
May 31, 2006

netBuff posted:

Store apps can be set as default applications.

mostly yes but sometimes no. if a windows store app doesn't show up in the list of available apps in the "open with..." dialog there's no way to add it. you can do the "look for another app on my pc" thing but that only lets you select regular executable programs

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Store and the Xbox stuff doesn't do anything unless you use it.

Cortana is dumb but is pretty ignorable these days, MS is also reverting back to just 'search' as the branding. If you turn off web search there's no interaction with anything outside your PC.

Windows Update is waaaay better than it used to be, it no longer forcefully restarts your PC without visible warnings for at least a couple days in advance. If that's still too much the way to control update is to use group policies on Pro to set it to auto-download, ask to install. But you'll be manually clicking "update" constantly because Defender updates come out every day or two. As someone who vocally hated the behavior of update back in '17-18, it's gotten a lot better.

Defender is good. Don't remove it and don't change to different AV.

WMP doesn't exist anymore. There's Zune Music and Zune Video apps but I never even opened those so I have no idea if they're good or bad.

System Restore by default hardly does anything, just like 7. AFAIK the only time system restore activates and makes restore points is system level changes like updates and driver installs. If a guide tells you to remove system restore then close that guide and stop looking at that website.

All the telemetry stuff can just be turned off with switches, you don't need to try to extract it in media creation. Some of it will absolutely break other functions when you remove or hard disable it rather than just use the off switch. I learned this the hard way myself.

also there's a dedicated 10 thread for more in-depth win10 talk

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ChesterJT posted:

I'm assuming that it doesn't sound like a USB device getting removed?

(my work PC would beep at me and it ended up being the USB hubs built into the monitors disconnecting when they went to sleep)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

windows media player is still around. i think there's a shortcut in like the "accessories" folder or something by default but you can always launch it via wmplayer.exe

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Uthor posted:

I'm assuming that it doesn't sound like a USB device getting removed?

(my work PC would beep at me and it ended up being the USB hubs built into the monitors disconnecting when they went to sleep)

Definitely not the usb sound. If you go into the sound settings it's the one named Windows Background.wav, just the generic windows 10 popup sound. But always three together.

Cardiovorax posted:

Check the manual for your mainboard model, it'll tell you what the beep codes mean. There's usually a list somewhere.

Dumb question but wouldn't those be POST codes that come across as system beeps on startup? Can those come across the system audio after the OS is loaded?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ChesterJT posted:

Dumb question but wouldn't those be POST codes that come across as system beeps on startup? Can those come across the system audio after the OS is loaded?
Oh, sorry. Since you mentioned bios and startup errors, I thought that kind of beep was what you meant, not something that comes through the system audio. They can also happen when the PC is already running if the mainboard encounters some types of errors, such as overheating or when the RAM is starting to give up the ghost. Not sure what might be going on, then, because that wouldn't be coming from your audio output.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

ChesterJT posted:

Mail maybe?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Weedle posted:

windows media player is still around. i think there's a shortcut in like the "accessories" folder or something by default but you can always launch it via wmplayer.exe

'wmplayer.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. :confused:

I uninstalled the Zune stuff, maybe that removes it? Not that I care if it's gone, because mpc-hc.

edit: aha wmplayer is an optional feature, and in more recent versions of 10 you have to install it

ChesterJT posted:

Definitely not the usb sound. If you go into the sound settings it's the one named Windows Background.wav, just the generic windows 10 popup sound. But always three together.
A bunch of events can play that sound, most of them totally meaningless. Personally I turn off most of the windows sounds and only have critical stop, program error, system notification, and UAC make noise.

Are you on wifi? A flaky wifi can have short disconnect/connect events that make programs fire their little "I disconnected! I reconnected! Hey listen!" beeps.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 18, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Klyith posted:

'wmplayer.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. :confused:
Try doing it from the start menu "run" option rather than a command prompt.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Might be a bit of an interesting question to ask here - how can I find out what hardware is sending signals to a specific software?

To clarify, I'm running a specific game (Trails of Azure), and without me pressing anything, the game is inputting up and left on a joystick constantly, from the moment it allows player control. If I open ProceXP it is showing that it's indeed dinput8.dll showing a crapload of CPU cycles on dinput8.dll!GetdfDIJoystick - despite me not pressing anything.

In terms of actually plugged in items, I have an Xbox One wired controller and a third-party graphics tablet (Ugee's knock-off cintiq) plugged in. I thought the latter might be the cause, but unplugging it doesn't change it - I'd rather find out it's definitely the cause before doing something drastic like fully uninstalling it. The Xbox controller inputs into the game but obviously has to fight on menus or world screens with the constant up-left inputs.

Alternatively if you know of a piece of software that can blacklist/whitelist input devices per application, that would also work.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Might be a bit of an interesting question to ask here - how can I find out what hardware is sending signals to a specific software?

To clarify, I'm running a specific game (Trails of Azure), and without me pressing anything, the game is inputting up and left on a joystick constantly, from the moment it allows player control. If I open ProceXP it is showing that it's indeed dinput8.dll showing a crapload of CPU cycles on dinput8.dll!GetdfDIJoystick - despite me not pressing anything.

In terms of actually plugged in items, I have an Xbox One wired controller and a third-party graphics tablet (Ugee's knock-off cintiq) plugged in. I thought the latter might be the cause, but unplugging it doesn't change it - I'd rather find out it's definitely the cause before doing something drastic like fully uninstalling it. The Xbox controller inputs into the game but obviously has to fight on menus or world screens with the constant up-left inputs.

Alternatively if you know of a piece of software that can blacklist/whitelist input devices per application, that would also work.

Are you using Steam to manage your controller input at all? What I've found is that lately (last several months) it's started to just randomly choose community controller button layout templates that have a decent rating rather than just using the generic gamepad layout. Started up a game the other day and the cursor just kept floating away from me until I told Steam to use a sane button layout.

Haven't really dug into it yet to see if I can stop Steam from picking these random layouts in the first place, though.

astral fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 18, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm not using Steam to launch the game, but nevertheless I tried quitting Steam (and making sure the service had stopped) and launching the game but the issue remained. I'm assuming it would try controlling with Steam closed?

Edit: I've tried just using a mouse with the controller unplugged and the issue remains.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I'm not using Steam to launch the game, but nevertheless I tried quitting Steam (and making sure the service had stopped) and launching the game but the issue remained. I'm assuming it would try controlling with Steam closed?

Shouldn't be Steam in that case. Have you already tried unplugging/replugging the controller? If you go to Windows' "Set up USB Game Controllers" and hit Properties, does it show the inputs being wacky?

quote:

Edit: I've tried just using a mouse with the controller unplugged and the issue remains.

edit: Yikes. I'd try testing with the mouse only with a full reboot after everything's unplugged just to see what happens.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The controller doesn't appear to be the issue - I've checked and its correctly set-up. Additionally opening other games and it works fine, it's specifically this game.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tesseraction posted:

Tesseraction posted:

Additionally opening other games and it works fine, it's specifically this game.

I'd guess that the problem is in the old PC port of a semi-obscure PSP JRPG then, and you should head to wherever the fans of that series gather to see if this is a known issue. You may need to run it in one of the compatibility modes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

I'd guess that the problem is in the old PC port of a semi-obscure PSP JRPG then, and you should head to wherever the fans of that series gather to see if this is a known issue. You may need to run it in one of the compatibility modes.

I'm afraid I went there first to no avail. They were baffled that such a problem exists. That's part of why I decided to try a less niche community to ask for advice!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

netBuff posted:

You can also simply unpin the right-side start menu entries before the system first connects to the internet to stop them from installing automatically.
I reformatted/reinstalled for like the 5th time since Friday night and this did the trick! I unpinned all the tiles from the Start Menu and flipped off the switch for suggested apps before connecting to Wifi and nothing has installed. Huzzah!

Would've saved me a couple reinstalls if this was the initial response, but it's all good now.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 19, 2020

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

e: FastStone seems to be the best option since it can natively play my iPhone videos and loads RAW camera photos without extra work.

I came to the same conclusion and was able to get it to operate very similarly to ACDSee. But as you say, the resizing is not as versatile and you can't quickly scroll through a ton of images without it wanting to completely display each one as it goes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Not Windows-specific, but I was wondering if there is a goon-approved video player and/or codec pack. Something lean like MPC-HC (which is what I've been using with the standard CCCP codecs but I don't know if anything better has come out since the group went defunct a few years back).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Not Windows-specific, but I was wondering if there is a goon-approved video player and/or codec pack. Something lean like MPC-HC (which is what I've been using with the standard CCCP codecs but I don't know if anything better has come out since the group went defunct a few years back).

i've literally only used vlc for like eight years

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Same. VLC media player is fast, tiny, it's in active development and it can handle basically every format there is. Unless you have specific needs that it can't handle, it should work for pretty much everything.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be honest I'm still using CCCP's latest release without issue.

Also update to my previous query: I found the culprit, a mysterious "composite" device that was both a visual, audio and human input device that, under its properties, was also two 8 button, 2-stick controllers when you go into its settings.

...yeah, me neither. Anyway removing that solved my issue. The joy of going through devices one by one...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Codec packs are long out of date, you should not need to install codecs unless you have a collection of ancient videos in truly weird formats. MPC-HC is all you need for pretty much anything. It has built-in filters for all common video formats that are fast and use GPU decode and other modern features. And full subtitle support.

The only thing a codec pack can do is mess that up. You probably end up with a software filter decoding stuff on the CPU or something.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Klyith posted:

Codec packs are long out of date, you should not need to install codecs unless you have a collection of ancient videos in truly weird formats.

No no, I definitely don't still have my old copy of Dogma (199).avi layin around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I was planning to ask about video players too, happy to be beaten to it. MPC-HC is no longer in active development but maybe that's okay? It's what I've been using anyway, VLC sometimes fucks the image up for a few seconds. Is that not a problem others have with it? I've seen it across multiple computers as well as on the Android version.