Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«773 »
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FunOne posted:

Everything other than my phone & computer password are random 10 digit things. I'm not going to memorize and type that poo poo in 2 dozen times a day, so if I have to login using my MSFT password its going to have to be "easy".

But.. you don't have to login with the MS account password every time, you can use a 4-digit PIN to login to the computer instead? I don't understand what you're saying. How is typing in an "easy" password easier than typing a 4 digit PIN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Uthor posted:

Every time I go to update LibreOffice, I get a note saying "The automatic download of the update is currently not available" and I need to manually download and install the update. Is there something wrong with my setup and keeps the program from applying updates itself or is this just not a feature of LibreOffice?

It's never worked. Use https://ninite.com/libreoffice

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

But.. you don't have to login with the MS account password every time, you can use a 4-digit PIN to login to the computer instead? I don't understand what you're saying. How is typing in an "easy" password easier than typing a 4 digit PIN?

You don't see the difference in ease and security between a 5-8 character easy to remember password, a 4 digit PIN, and a 10 character fully random password?

My original question though is am I required to have my Windows installation tied to a Microsoft account to restore my licensing if something breaks? And if so, what are my options for that account?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

You don't see the difference in ease and security between a 5-8 character easy to remember password, a 4 digit PIN, and a 10 character fully random password?

Keep the password more secure and use the PIN day to day as was suggested. The PIN is unique to the machine it is set up on. You can also make the PIN more than 4 characters if you want, and I think it can even be alphanumeric.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

FunOne posted:

My original question though is am I required to have my Windows installation tied to a Microsoft account to restore my licensing if something breaks?
Afaik it is only necessary if the install you want to recover the license from is an upgrade from win 7 or 8 or if you have lost your original key. And then only if you're going to new hardware. Same hardware should reactivate automatically. In all other cases, having the key and maybe a phone call to the automated activation hotline should suffice.

Bear in mind you can get new keys from eBay at $5-$20, depending on how shady you want to tolerate them.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FunOne posted:

Unless Iím behind the times, having a password and a device PIN is just fine. My iOS devices are protected by a PIN, for example. I donít type my Apple ID password each time I unlock my phone.

That seems ideal to me.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

RELY NOT ON MY HONOR!!! FOR WHEN I OFFER MY WORD OF BOND, I TAKE NOT THAT VOW TO HEART!! CASUALLY, I BRING SHAME TO MY HOUSEHOLD AND RUIN TO THOSE WHO RELY ON MY COMMITMENT, BY SHIRKING MY AVOWED DUTY

FunOne posted:

My original question though is am I required to have my Windows installation tied to a Microsoft account to restore my licensing if something breaks? And if so, what are my options for that account?

If you have a license key, an offline account will suffice. And when you reinstall without changing any relevant hardware, you don't even need to enter a key as a hash value of your system is stored on MS servers and will be used to reactivate even with offline accounts.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Afaik it is only necessary if the install you want to recover the license from is an upgrade from win 7 or 8 or if you have lost your original key. And then only if you're going to new hardware. Same hardware should reactivate automatically. In all other cases, having the key and maybe a phone call to the automated activation hotline should suffice.

Bear in mind you can get new keys from eBay at $5-$20, depending on how shady you want to tolerate them.

Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 keys work like regular Windows 10 keys. There's no need for MS account action.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

I'm sure glad that keeping my Excel sheets in sync between my desktop and my iPad works so loving well in Office 365. As in not at all, every session wants to overwrite the other with its old version, and there isn't a way to force a version, e.g. by trying to restore, because the iPad keeps whining about someone still editing the sheet, even tho that's not the case. gently caress that poo poo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FunOne posted:

My original question though is am I required to have my Windows installation tied to a Microsoft account to restore my licensing if something breaks?
You are not required to. If something 'breaks' it can generally re-activate based on hardware IDs without any action by you. That includes if your HD dies and you need to reinstall from scratch -- in that case you can generally skip the key on the install screen and it will activate the first time it boots with an internet connection.

For everything else including hardware changes, you can still just punch in old 7 & 8 keys. Only if in the future MS decides to turn that off, tying it to a MS account will be necessary.

FunOne posted:

And if so, what are my options for that account?
I don't want my PC to ever use a MS account for my main user, so here's how I plan to handle it should it ever be required: create a 2nd account on any PC that I need to link to my MS account. Do any license syncing with that, then disable or delete the account.

The license stuff is per-machine, you don't have to turn your main user into MS account.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Fame Douglas posted:

Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 keys work like regular Windows 10 keys. There's no need for MS account action.
Absolutely right, I was mixing things up with the case of cloning an existing install which doesn't apply here at all.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'M DISAPPOINTED THAT CORTANA WILL BE A CIRCLE AND NOT THE ACTUAL SEXY WOMAN FROM THE GAME.

They changed the calculator icon in windows 10 and I hate it.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

The Lord Bude posted:

They changed the calculator icon in windows 10 and I hate it.

First thing I do on all my windows 10 installs is uninstall the calculator (along some other poo poo) and install the old windows 7 one.
I feel like it uses space much more effectively than the 10 one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011
I got chased out of the Monster Hunter thread for garbage posting, now I shit up other Games threads with useless low-effort uninformed aggro noise. I somehow think "VN nerds" are beneath me and I belong on your ignore list.

The Windows 10 calculator feels like it was designed for touch screens. It's kind of annoying.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Success!

it's really good if your laptop has a touch screen.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

it's really good if your laptop has a touch screen.

I'll be honest, I don't really ever use my laptops touchscreen.

I bought a loving "convertible" laptop because I figured maybe I could start drawing but instead it gathers dust in a backpack for the most part.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'M DISAPPOINTED THAT CORTANA WILL BE A CIRCLE AND NOT THE ACTUAL SEXY WOMAN FROM THE GAME.

99% of the time I have to say if I need a calculator I just grab my phone thatís next to me and use the app on that; even if Iím at my desktop. It better replicates the flow of using an actual calculator and it means you donít have to move between windows.

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

The Lord Bude posted:

99% of the time I have to say if I need a calculator I just grab my phone thatís next to me and use the app on that; even if Iím at my desktop. It better replicates the flow of using an actual calculator and it means you donít have to move between windows.

I do this too but sometimes I like the Microsoft calculator because I can copy values into the calculator and paste the result into whatever I need it for. But if Iím doing that then itís usually easier and better just to use excel.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I find it much easier to just press win key, write calcu, press enter and then do numpad magic for whatever myself.

I don't even know where on my phone the calculator app is tbh. It's there somewhere I guess. But I also can't use touchscreen quickly to save my life.

tuyop
Sep 14, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

organburner posted:

I find it much easier to just press win key, write calcu, press enter and then do numpad magic for whatever myself.

I don't even know where on my phone the calculator app is tbh. It's there somewhere I guess. But I also can't use touchscreen quickly to save my life.

This but just entering the math right into the start menu.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

organburner posted:

I'll be honest, I don't really ever use my laptops touchscreen.

I bought a loving "convertible" laptop because I figured maybe I could start drawing but instead it gathers dust in a backpack for the most part.

I didn't realize the laptop I bought was a convertible until it arrived in the mail (it was so cheap, I didn't even bother to look). I mostly don't bother with the touchscreen, but I play cards with friends sometimes (http://playingcards.io/) and it's loving great for that!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Convertible laptops where it's just a normal laptop that flips back are good if you want a touch screen and/or stylus and they don't really have a downside if you don't except for typically having glossy screens.

Convertible laptops that are tablets where the keyboard is removable generally suck.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mystes posted:

Convertible laptops where it's just a normal laptop that flips back are good if you want a touch screen and/or stylus and they don't really have a downside

The hinges on cheap convertibles that do the full 180 flip trick are frequently a weakness. So the main downside is that you need to baby them a bit.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

If I need one I use Launchy, which I have a keyboard shortcut for.

Edit: It seems Launchy is abandoned these days, but I don't care.. still using it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The new Edge looks really slick. The only 2 extensions I really need from Chrome are uBlock Origin (which is already in the Microsoft store) and Clean crxMouse gestures, which I just learned you can install from the Chrome store.

«773 »