Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Statutory Ape posted:

As a secondary, but related question, do any of you have any experience with programs that let you mix volumes of individual tasks in windows? I know windows has its own volume mixer, but as an example, one of the games I play has native volume levels so low that I thought it was muted with my music between 15-20% volume. I've seen https://www.letasoft.com/ mentioned a couple of places, wondering if anybody had some thoughts?

It would be nice to be able to hear my TIE fighter over dimmu borgir, basically

Windows does have the ability to change the volume of individual programs already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Statutory Ape posted:

As a secondary, but related question, do any of you have any experience with programs that let you mix volumes of individual tasks in windows? I know windows has its own volume mixer, but as an example, one of the games I play has native volume levels so low that I thought it was muted with my music between 15-20% volume. I've seen https://www.letasoft.com/ mentioned a couple of places, wondering if anybody had some thoughts?

It would be nice to be able to hear my TIE fighter over dimmu borgir, basically

RDR2 has had this bug in windows forever which sets the game audio to like 15%. You have to alt tab out and manually adjust it nearly every drat time.

I wouldnít be surprised if itís the same issue with whatever game you are trying.

Statutory Ape
Sep 12, 2017

It's 100% not the issue unless windows has a second volume mixer hidden

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Statutory Ape posted:

It's 100% not the issue unless windows has a second volume mixer hidden

When the game is open do you see it in the volume mixer?

Iím going to assume so. It would have its own entry.

You might have to scroll to see it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

Thanks Ants posted:

Something like a headphone mixer would be the perfect way to do this

https://artproaudio.com/product/powermix-iii-three-channel-personal-stereo-mixer/

I did something similar so I could be sure to hear notification sounds from my work computer when listening to music on my personal computer. It works quite well. If I was going to be using my phone as a source, I'd probably also want to get a stereo BT receiver to use as an input.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending

Grimey Drawer

I'm in the final stages of building a new desktop, close to the point of turning it on for the first time.

It'll be a fresh install of Windows10 (probably 64 pro), and I'd like to install as much critical software as possible before connecting to the internet. So I'd ask, what software should I consider installing to make my general operation, web browsing, anti-virus, and gaming experience a good one?

tuyop
Sep 14, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Check out ninite for these sorts of things. I wouldnít install any antivirus or malware protection, windows defender is good enough.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yeah tbh windows handles almost everything pretty drat well now.

Iíve mostly switched over to the new edge browser over chrome as well.

Medullah
Aug 13, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I mean, the most important thing to install is Windows updates anyway. When you're installing I'd create an installation media USB drive from Microsoft and let it install and update. Then if you want to disconnect from the internet you can, but ultimately everything you install is going to need to update anyway...so it's not really worth the trouble IMHO.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Bootcha posted:

I'm in the final stages of building a new desktop, close to the point of turning it on for the first time.

It'll be a fresh install of Windows10 (probably 64 pro), and I'd like to install as much critical software as possible before connecting to the internet. So I'd ask, what software should I consider installing to make my general operation, web browsing, anti-virus, and gaming experience a good one?

Defender ships with Windows. Don't install 3rd party AV.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'd say download your drivers in advance and don't let Windows install or update those just in general, but I'm not 100% sure that's for everyone and every device.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oven Wrangler

doctorfrog posted:

I'd say download your drivers in advance and don't let Windows install or update those just in general, but I'm not 100% sure that's for everyone and every device.

What? Why? The drivers that Windows installs from Windows Update are usually the best drivers to use! Other than your graphics card.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

What? Why? The drivers that Windows installs from Windows Update are usually the best drivers to use! Other than your graphics card.

Yeah honestly at this point you can let windows do itís thing then tweak it from there.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

If you're going to manage your own drivers in the future, then yes this is a good idea. Turn off driver updating via windows update before getting on the internet, and manually install them from the start.

OTOH unless you're a Big Gamer or have unusual hardware, I think windows update driver delivery is pretty decent. I've been letting WU do the thing on my laptop; I get video drivers every 3-6 months, realtek drivers once or twice a year, and occasional other things. And once a bios firmware update, which was a trip to watch!

tldr; if you don't really care about your drivers, letting windows manage them seems ok.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Letting Windows grab the drivers tends to work fine now. If it doesnt know, it'll throw the drivers into an "optional" category.

I have it set as auto for my gaming and all my work computers and it's been OK.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

On the Surface Pro 4 it kept constantly trying to install new drivers for the infrared camera that completely broke Windows Hello. So I'd roll back and tell it to skip this iteration. And then a month later there'd be a new version, that broke it some other way. At some point I stopped keeping track and now it takes half a minute to recognize me instead of two seconds. Which is when I went back to using a pin. A shame. Used to work fantastically.

So, I'm in the "don't allow it to gently caress up your working drivers" camp.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

On the Surface Pro 4 it kept constantly trying to install new drivers for the infrared camera that completely broke Windows Hello. So I'd roll back and tell it to skip this iteration. And then a month later there'd be a new version, that broke it some other way. At some point I stopped keeping track and now it takes half a minute to recognize me instead of two seconds. Which is when I went back to using a pin. A shame. Used to work fantastically.

So, I'm in the "don't allow it to gently caress up your working drivers" camp.

Windows Hello is pretty neat, but I'd say it falls under

Klyith posted:

unusual hardware

for the time being, and is definitely a good reason to be cautious with updates as opposed to regular cameras on most laptops and tablets.

E: the facial recognition, that is. Fingerprint readers seem pretty consistent.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 10, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fruits of the sea posted:

Windows Hello is pretty neat, but I'd say it falls under

for the time being, and is definitely a good reason to be cautious with updates as opposed to regular cameras on most laptops and tablets.

E: the facial recognition, that is. Fingerprint readers seem pretty consistent.

An infrared camera is deff unusual, but you'd think MS would make sure the correct drivers for their own hardware product were on windows update.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've had problems with Surface cameras for the last six months, even outside of Windows Hello, where it would constantly install a new driver that straight out broke the camera in every application and the only solution was overwriting it with a standalone Surface driver. It's only recently they seem to have gotten it under control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think Microsoft actually gives much of a poo poo about the Surface.