Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

xzzy posted:

Windows Defender is a default block, correct?

I'm running WSL2 and getting X11 working, and am trying to make a rule that restricts the X11 ports to ONLY the WSL2 subnet. So I make a rule that specifies the port, and in the Scope tabe for 'remote ip address' I put the WSL2 subnet. However with this rule active the port is still accessible to the world. My expectation is that any address outside the specified subnet would get blocked.

I'm more of a linux person and while I kinda understand the difference in philosophy between iptables and the defender firewall, clearly I'm missing something.

You should investigate more, but as i understand due to WSL2 being a VM your Windows also is an VM so its firewall does nothing because it runs parallel to WSL2. Also don't connect your PC directly to internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

WSL2 does appear to work with the windows firewall because I can generate rules to filter traffic to/from the linux image. I just have not been able to craft rules that block from all subnets except the WSL2 VM's. That doesn't mean there is not caveats using the firewall with WSL2, I'm certainly no expert on any of it, but the basic functionality is there.

And it's not connected directly to the internet, but I still want a functioning firewall (especially for something as dangerous as X11).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Does anyone use any type of download manager? I've downloaded a couple of large files over the last week or so and Chrome stops here and there, and fails on them. Are there any options that are a bit more robust?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Does anyone use any type of download manager? I've downloaded a couple of large files over the last week or so and Chrome stops here and there, and fails on them. Are there any options that are a bit more robust?

I use Firefox and you just press resume if transfer fails.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MikusR posted:

I use Firefox and you just press resume if transfer fails.

I've had poo poo not resume depending on where you are downloading from (Humble Bundle, mostly).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The server has to offer the possibility or it just can't be done. I don't know if there's even a way to know without trying.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Hoping someone can provide a different perspective or solution for this:

My family's PC runs a backup solution that requires access to a network drive, and Plex. I could move the network drive to a direct USB connection and change how it's mapped for everyone else, and Plex has a service wrapper that looks a bit janky, but it would be much easier to just log on and lock the account that runs them both whenever the PC reboots from updates. I've found a group policy that will let me log-in and lock the last interactive user when a PC reboots, but the account I need to do that with is actually the least likely to be the last interactive user (I remote in via SSH + RDP to provide tech support). Is there any way to tweak that policy to always fire for a specific account (like making the object for a single account via snap-in) or another way that isn't woefully insecure? It's just a local admin account with no Microsoft services attached, so I could dial security down for reliability if I really had to.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Shumagorath posted:

Hoping someone can provide a different perspective or solution for this:

My family's PC runs a backup solution that requires access to a network drive, and Plex. I could move the network drive to a direct USB connection and change how it's mapped for everyone else, and Plex has a service wrapper that looks a bit janky, but it would be much easier to just log on and lock the account that runs them both whenever the PC reboots from updates. I've found a group policy that will let me log-in and lock the last interactive user when a PC reboots, but the account I need to do that with is actually the least likely to be the last interactive user (I remote in via SSH + RDP to provide tech support). Is there any way to tweak that policy to always fire for a specific account (like making the object for a single account via snap-in) or another way that isn't woefully insecure? It's just a local admin account with no Microsoft services attached, so I could dial security down for reliability if I really had to.

How about using Task Scheduler to launch those apps with the required credentials at startup?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Plex is apparently weird with updates if you use the service wrapper but I could get around to it. The backup has a start/stop .vbs or .bat (I forget which) so that might work.

The more elegant solution might just be to promote one of the family accounts so if they notice Plex is out they log in by themselves. The backup notifies me after three days and barely ever changes, so I could fix that whenever. Or maybe leave them as Users and teach them Run As just for Plex....

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Uthor posted:

I've had poo poo not resume depending on where you are downloading from (Humble Bundle, mostly).

Ironically, I've had the resume not work when trying it right away, but going back a while later (~20 min+) it worked.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hey all, I asked a similar question ages ago but I wanted to get some updated input.

We have a small (5 person) office running G Suite for email/cloud storage (on a custom domain), and Office 365 just for the productivity apps. We've had this setup for approximately 7 years now with mostly no complaints.

I'm the one that runs the "tech side" since I'm the only one that "knows computers" and since we're probably going full remote soon, I'm thinking of moving everything to just Microsoft 365 just so that I don't have to handle 2 different configurations for everything, and also since we use Office so much it'd be nice to have the integrated cloud storage and document collaboration.

I'm just wondering if anyone's done a similar transition, or if you have any opinions about Microsoft 365 in general. Mostly I'm worried about the admin stuff being at least as easy as G Suite since I'll be handling that.

Thanks!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you use all the Office apps then it makes very little sense to use Google Apps G Suite Google Workspace for email.

The actual migration is pretty simple, for the small amount of users you have get some BitTitan MigrationWiz licenses and follow their documentation:

https://help.bittitan.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049370794-G-Suite-Gmail-API-to-Exchange-Online-Microsoft-365-Migration-Guide

If you're going fully remote and you use Windows then consider Microsoft 365 Business Premium which has a load of endpoint management features, and probably costs the same as you're paying now for Office apps + Google.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, for the link!

Yeah, it's mostly a legacy thing, we had G suite from when Office 365 was a shitshow, and also M365 Business is significantly more expensive than the combo because we're on legacy G Suite pricing, but apparently that's going away soon, which prompted me to look into this.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Klyith posted:

Macrium Reflect free version

Cloning a small drive to a large drive, you can expand the main partition by dragging partitions to the target one at a time, and click cloned partition properties when you get to the one you want to resize. full instructions

One asterisk: if your current system was an upgrade from 7 to 10, I would strongly consider doing a fresh 10 install. It's a pain in the rear end, but enough has changed about windows' preferred partition layout, size of recovery partition, GPT vs MBR, and UEFI stuff that I think it's worth doing.

So to clarify (got the 2TB NVME (only one slot for NVME) in the mail finally.)

I need to move Windows (and associated installed software) on to a larger HDD first and have that HDD be bootable so that I can physically install and format the larger new NVME, then move the cloned drive of NVME #1 to the new larger NVME and have that be bootable.

I know macrium can do this but I'm already having problems selecting drives. It wants to use an external (USB3) drive and it's throwing me for a loop. Pretty sure that won't boot.

e: it stopped selecting the external drive F: thankfully but I need to be sure D: (the HDD) is bootable

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 16, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

So to clarify (got the 2TB NVME (only one slot for NVME) in the mail finally.)

I need to move Windows (and associated installed software) on to a larger HDD first and have that HDD be bootable so that I can physically install and format the larger new NVME, then move the cloned drive of NVME #1 to the new larger NVME and have that be bootable.

I know macrium can do this but I'm already having problems selecting drives. It wants to use an external (USB3) drive and it's throwing me for a loop. Pretty sure that won't boot.

e: it stopped selecting the external drive F: thankfully but I need to be sure D: (the HDD) is bootable

Macrium can make a bootable USB stick to run itself in a WinPE environment.

So rather than the intermediate step of having the HDD be bootable, you could dump a plain image of the drive you want to copy to that and use the USB stick to move it back to the new NVMe drive. Not a huge difference in number of steps, but less fiddly.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
What would be good software to use to create an official-looking business plan and trendy, modern looking reports? Do people still use MS Publisher?

I used a cool template in Word to create my resume and have gotten tons of good feedback about it, but editing it is god awful (Word sucks) and now I'm locked in to it.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

The Scientist posted:

What would be good software to use to create an official-looking business plan and trendy, modern looking reports? Do people still use MS Publisher?

I used a cool template in Word to create my resume and have gotten tons of good feedback about it, but editing it is god awful (Word sucks) and now I'm locked in to it.

My hot take is that Word is better than MS Publisher for anything MS Publisher can do.

I'll take the opportunity to recommend Affinity Publisher if you're at all versed with DTP stuff. It, along with it's Photo and Designer siblings are fantastic alternatives to InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. And on sale right now!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So it looks like Microsoft officially killed Synctoy in January (it was technically unsupported but you could still download it up until then.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement? Most of the things I used it for are obsolete now that I have Carbonite to backup, but I do have a few directories that I share with some people that I like to keep synced with a local directory.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Medullah posted:

So it looks like Microsoft officially killed Synctoy in January (it was technically unsupported but you could still download it up until then.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement? Most of the things I used it for are obsolete now that I have Carbonite to backup, but I do have a few directories that I share with some people that I like to keep synced with a local directory.
I've been good with SyncBack Free for years now. It has a shitton of options though. Like, it's not as basic as SyncToy if that's what it needs to be.

E: FreeFileSync is another option. Open Source, ugly as sin, probably does what it says on the tin.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 20, 2021

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I used the donation version of FreeFileSync a couple of years ago and was happy with it. The donation version gets some extra features to make it faster (copying more files simultaneously) I seem to remember.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Robocopy? I forget if synctoys was just a UI for that or if I’m thinking of something else

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Syncthing might be worth a look, it's the open source take on these kinds of tools.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

xzzy posted:

Syncthing might be worth a look, it's the open source take on these kinds of tools.

They recently added (in beta) untrusted device support https://docs.syncthing.net/users/untrusted.html

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm a little shocked something simple doesn't exist, but maybe it does and I just can't find anything on it.

On a Mac (maybe other OSes too, who knows, I just know it's not on Windows), when sorting by Name, Date Created, Modified, whatever, it sorts all of the items that way. So folders and files are intermingled. Aardvark file, Art folder, Booty file, Cat folder. It would list them in that order if I had them sort alphabetically (name).

On Windows, it does not do this. It's separates the files from the folders and places the folders, sorted how you've chosen, either on top or bottom. So, if on the top, it'd be Art folder, Cat folder, then Aaardvark file, Booty file beneath them.

There is seemingly no fix for this that isn't aggressively clunky involving searching for random or empty parameters. In searching, I've only found maybe 3 - 5 year old posts and discussions about it, so I'm wondering if there has been any "fix" or proper solution for this. I could get a third party file explorer, but I feel like that's overkill for something that's a minor annoyance.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm a little shocked something simple doesn't exist, but maybe it does and I just can't find anything on it.

On a Mac (maybe other OSes too, who knows, I just know it's not on Windows), when sorting by Name, Date Created, Modified, whatever, it sorts all of the items that way. So folders and files are intermingled. Aardvark file, Art folder, Booty file, Cat folder. It would list them in that order if I had them sort alphabetically (name).

On Windows, it does not do this. It's separates the files from the folders and places the folders, sorted how you've chosen, either on top or bottom. So, if on the top, it'd be Art folder, Cat folder, then Aaardvark file, Booty file beneath them.

There is seemingly no fix for this that isn't aggressively clunky involving searching for random or empty parameters. In searching, I've only found maybe 3 - 5 year old posts and discussions about it, so I'm wondering if there has been any "fix" or proper solution for this. I could get a third party file explorer, but I feel like that's overkill for something that's a minor annoyance.

Does this option exist for you and do what you want?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

If you want the Windows behavior to be more like the Mac one, click the View pane of the ribbon in file explorer and change the sort by/group by options to what you want. They're two different things.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

tuyop posted:

Does this option exist for you and do what you want?

I would want this option, ideally, unchecked, on Windows.

astral posted:

If you want the Windows behavior to be more like the Mac one, click the View pane of the ribbon in file explorer and change the sort by/group by options to what you want. They're two different things.

This seems to let me change how the things are sorted and grouped, but none seem to mix both the folders and files together.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LODGE NORTH posted:

Ah, poo poo yeah that’s hard.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

This seems to let me change how the things are sorted and grouped, but none seem to mix both the folders and files together.

If you group by e.g. name, it only has the folders for that bit of the alphabet, but it sounds like that's still a step up for you from "all of them".

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Quick question, somehow my right-click context menu got messed up, and the "New Shortcut" option is missing. No idea how long this has been like that, as I don't think I've used the new shortcut button since... windows 95.

I'm sure I screwed up some HKEYs ages ago, but I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of fixing it? Trying to google "restore new shortcut" and variations has given no useful results yet.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Quick question, somehow my right-click context menu got messed up, and the "New Shortcut" option is missing. No idea how long this has been like that, as I don't think I've used the new shortcut button since... windows 95.

I'm sure I screwed up some HKEYs ages ago, but I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of fixing it? Trying to google "restore new shortcut" and variations has given no useful results yet.

It's possible something in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk in your registry got screwed up, what's yours look like? You could compare it to the restore one attached at seven forums (view the restore version in a text editor):

https://www.sevenforums.com/attachm...t_menu_item.zip

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

astral posted:

It's possible something in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk in your registry got screwed up, what's yours look like? You could compare it to the restore one attached at seven forums (view the restore version in a text editor):

https://www.sevenforums.com/attachm...t_menu_item.zip

Oh thank you so much for that. Yeah, some of the values got changed somehow, everything is working again.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 21, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I just want to say this is something that is a huge issue for me too, especially when I'm doing :files: cleanup and trying to find the biggest files to make room. Luckily Windirstat lets me search by size.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ChesterJT posted:

Any ideas on phantom three-dings repeating while the pc is idle? Google searches just relate to the bios and startup error beeps. Not tied to any action or user input, just sitting there and three dings. Could repeat every couple minutes over the course of an hour then nothing for five days.

Some apps are running so I thought maybe a low memory error but task manager says otherwise. I also thought maybe some hardware was failing but assumed the bios startup would detect that first.

Wow. Somebody from almost exactly 1 year ago ran into this same loving problem I'm dealing with. This is apparently so difficult / rare to Google search that this thread actually appeared in the results as one of the few places somebody mentioned it.

My computer just randomly started making the "Windows Background.wav" sound effect 3 times in a row ever so often and apparently there is absolutely no way to ever identify what is causing it. It spawns through the "SystemSoundsService" scheduled task and I don't think I'm ever going to find out how this poo poo works because that just isn't something you do with Windows.

I love that the only solution is to just disable Windows sounds since there is no stopping it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does it have to be a GUI? Both 'dir /o:d' and 'get-childitem | sort lastwritetime' seem to have the behavior you want.

Actually, I think this solves your issue:
code:
Get-ChildItem | Sort-Object LastWriteTime | Out-Gridview
for the other way around,
code:
Get-ChildItem | Sort-Object LastWriteTime -Descending | Out-Gridview
Sorted with files and folders mixed, and in a GUI.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 22, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

code:
Get-ChildItem | Sort-Object LastWriteTime -Descending | Out-Gridview
Sorted with files and folders mixed, and in a GUI.

a non-interactive list isn't much of a GUI :rolleyes:

the better solution would be one of the many explorer replacements like total commander or whatever, most of which take having options for everything as a religious commandment. I'm sure one of them can display folders mixed with files in the alpha sorting.

(though TBQH until now I'd never even considered that someone might want to do such a thing)

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

the better solution would be one of the many explorer replacements like total commander or whatever, most of which take having options for everything as a religious commandment. I'm sure one of them can display folders mixed with files in the alpha sorting.
TotalCommander can't. But the specialized software like Treesize can.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nalin posted:

My computer just randomly started making the "Windows Background.wav" sound effect 3 times in a row ever so often and apparently there is absolutely no way to ever identify what is causing it. It spawns through the "SystemSoundsService" scheduled task and I don't think I'm ever going to find out how this poo poo works because that just isn't something you do with Windows.

That service is just "the thing that plays sounds when windows events happen". And that doesn't mean that windows itself is the root cause -- any program can generate an event that says exclamation sound to the OS and then the SystemSoundsService plays it.

My 2 troubleshooting suggestions:
• Win10 uses the same sound for a bunch of different events. Setting things to more unique sounds could get you more in the ballpark for what's doing it. Right now it could be a background program, or something like flaky hardware connecting & disconnecting.
• If you have a computer or peripherals made by Razor, there's an identical hit for some of their software causing this

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nalin posted:

Wow. Somebody from almost exactly 1 year ago ran into this same loving problem I'm dealing with. This is apparently so difficult / rare to Google search that this thread actually appeared in the results as one of the few places somebody mentioned it.

I love that the only solution is to just disable Windows sounds since there is no stopping it.

Yes I have this problem as well. Solution was to just turn off speakers :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a way to trigger/toggle settings on the Windows Settings app without opening it?

I want to be able to toggle the two Virtual Desktop settings without opening Settings to do it. In Blackbox for Windows, this could be done with a hotkey or by clicking on a button on the taskbar. So either a hotkey (even an AHK script) or an extremely low resource system tray app would work fine for me.

I also change themes a lot and would like to be able to trigger theme changes without involving Settings. I can open a .theme file and it'll do this, but it annoyingly opens Settings to do it. I just want the theme to be applied, no Settings involved.